Rich+

OOC INFORMATION

IGN (In-Game Name):

Urrufu

What is your discord username?:
Urrufu

What is your timezone?:
BST (British Summer Time) | UTC+1

This changes to GMT in October due to Daylight Saving.

Describe your activity on the server:
I am incredibly active on SRP, having been logging on daily for an average of around 12 hours per day since around Mid-July (2024). As of writing this (September 17), I have a total playtime of one month, and two days.

With regards to my schedule, I attend college for three days of the week, those being Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. From there, Friday afternoons until Monday nights, I am completely free. One thing I believe is worth mentioning is that on Tuesdays, I may have to go AFK relatively frequently. Because of this, I predict that I won't be on as early as other days, however if it is necessary, I will be capable of coming on significantly earlier. I have a lot of free time in my life, and I would love to be able to dedicate a large portion of it to the Shrine faction.
Below, I've attached a little schedule to give a clearer picture of the times I can be active per day.
DAY:​
SATURDAY​
SUNDAY​
MONDAY​
TUESDAY​
WEDNESDAY​
THURSDAY​
FRIDAY​
TIME:
08:00AM - 03:00AM​
12:30PM - 00:30AM​
17:30PM - 02:00AM​
18:30PM - 00:30AM​
14:20PM - 03:00AM​
DAY NOTES:
I can be on both earlier and later if needed.
This is an assumption based on what I know right now.
I can be on later if needed.

List your current roles on the server:
[Grade-12] Charlotte Shimura
[Grade-12] Anhko Akiyama

I am applying with my character 'Charlotte Shimura'.
(NOTE; Charlotte will be joining a family soon, thus meaning a name change. It doesn't affect the rest of the application, but I felt it may be worth mentioning.)

Link any previous applications:
[ACCEPTED] PE Teacher Application

I left the Teacher Faction relatively quickly due to some personal issues that I had related to the faction, however I was still able to meet and exceed the quota during my time with it.

[ACCEPTED] Green Bike Request
[ACCEPTED] Pink Bike Request
[DENIED] Green Bike Request

This was denied because I forgot to include my username in the request.

What position are you applying for (Maiden or Priest)?
I am applying for a Shrine Maiden position.

What is your motivation for applying?
I am motivated to join the shrine faction because I find the culture of Shintoism and Japanese shrines incredibly interesting. It's something I've been wanting to learn about and engage with since around the beginning of the year, however unfortunately where I live there is nothing within a reasonable distance related to that culture. As a result, I am limited to whatever I can find online. The reason I bring that up is because the original reason I re-joined SRP earlier this year was because I learned that the shrine faction existed, and then upon seeing the event in July, followed by frequent visits to the monastery itself, I've found that both OOC and IC, it's something I would really love to get involved with.

I was going to make an attempt to apply in August, however I was side-tracked heavily and ended up applying for the teacher faction instead, which don't get me wrong for the short time I was there it was amazing, but after experiencing several issues with the faction (not at the fault of anyone in it), I decided to leave. In terms of general activity on SRP, I know that Shrine and the Teacher faction are the only two things that genuinely interest me, so I figured if I'm not getting the fulfilment out of Teach, and I know for a fact that I enjoy the Shrine aspects of the server, I should actually throw in an attempt, especially considering my two issues originally with applying for Shrine (lack of confidence in RP and lack of knowledge about Shinto) are both resolved now.

In terms of actually being at the shrine, I find it both relaxing and genuinely interesting and fun. Parts of what I know about Shintoism have been learnt through shrine interactions (i.e Tea Ceremonies, Purification, etc). Of course- there is external research done as well but I wouldn't think to research it if it wasn't for those interactions. I love that educational aspect of Shrine and would love to develop my own understanding of Shinto as well as help others be able to learn it through similar interaction. With regards to finding it relaxing, I find the general atmosphere of the monastery to be my favourite place on SRP. I love the design, all of the people involved, and the IC things that take place there. It's something I've wanted to get involved in for a while.

On the subject of involvement, when I saw that event in July, with the stage outside the Shopping District and the lanterns with all the booths, I was genuinely captured by it. I found it something so interesting to look at and it was genuinely something that taught me how to properly RP on SRP. I learned really basic things about the server through that event, I.E a maiden hosting a booth taught me how the economy of the server worked, and the person on the stage throwing up the lanterns taught me how actions worked. These interactions are part of what made me truly fall in love with the faction. It was something I was always planning on getting my character heavily involved in, but I think it was this that really solidified that I want to help out, both ICly and OOCly. A while ago, I spoke to someone who had been in the faction for an incredibly long amount of time, and we spoke about a lot of the little things that occur throughout the year, but particularly on the latter-half of the year. What we spoke about varied in importance, from something as big as a New Years Festival to something as little as simply having to shovel the steps when it snows to avoid people getting injured. Talking about these things with this person genuinely made me feel so excited at the opportunity to get involved. I would love to get involved and experience these more festive-timed things from the perspective of not just a visitor, but someone who's actually there to help. I'm relatively uneducated on the shrine activities that occur throughout the year, but I'm sure that if something as little as shovelling a staircase at the Shrine makes me feel a need to join the faction, then everything else that gets done would be equally, if not more exciting.

Finally, to conclude the little yap session, I've found that OOCly, having my character at the shrine just feels comfortable. I'm not really sure how to word it, but I have a really clear vision of how things could work with my character in the faction, and even though what I'm picturing in my mind more than certainly isn't 100% accurate, I still feel it's important that I have that clear picture in my head for what it could be like. My love for the faction is from a genuine point of OOC passion. No shade to the Teacher faction because genuinely it was amazing, but every day I spent in that faction, and even the days before, I was strongly unsure if picking Teach over Shrine was the right choice, and obviously I concluded that it wasn't because you're reading this application right now, but I do think that from viewing the faction as what I want to do, rather than what would make sense for my character (it still does don't worry!!), I do believe this faction is the best option, with very minimal competition. Of course that varies for everyone but it's my opinion, and my views based on what I've seen of it, who I've spoken to about it, and the research I've done and am still doing to learn more about it.​

What do you currently know about Shintoism? Are you willing to learn more about it?
My current knowledge of Shintoism is limited as of now, however I am absolutely willing to learn and am excited for the opportunity to do so!
What I know about Shinto has been split into sections to make it easier to read.

ROLES IN THE SHRINE
In a Shinto Shrine, there are various roles in the shrine, including but not limited to;

Mitsue-Shiro
A Mitsue-Shiro is very important to the shrine as they are considered sacred. Mitsue-Shiro are seen as stand-ins for the Kami, being either a sacred object or sacred being. They take part in the frequent shrine activities, including but not limited to; sacred rituals, festivals, and in-shrine events. During these times, the Mitue-Shiro may act as guidance and a temporary vessel for a Kami.

Shinkan / Shinshoku / Priests
Shinkan are "government officials" that are devoted to the shrine, appointed by a priest (Kannushi). This role, along with Kannushi was absorbed into one, that being 'Shinshoku'. These are people that serve and worship the Kami and are greatly educated on the Shintoism.
My knowledge with priests is more limited as most of my research has been toward the Maiden role, however I am more than willing to learn more, and am actively putting the effort in to try and learn as much as possible!

Maidens / Miko
Miko are commonly seen as caretakers of their respective shrine. They frequently look after the shrine itself, keeping it both clean and stable. Much like other roles in the shrine, Maidens also get involved with festivals, sacred rituals, and other events related to or in the shrine grounds. Maidens themselves have many duties around the shrine, including but not limited to; Fortune telling, hosting the sacred rituals (such as purification and the Kagura dance), act as mediums for communication with the Kami, hosting any stores around the shrine, and generally focus on the upkeeping of the shrine.​

INFRASTRUCTURE OF THE SHRINE
A typical shrine has multiple important structures within, including but not limited to;

The Torii Gate
Torii Gates mark the entry-point of a sacred location, being used in both Buddhist and Shinto shrines and temples. The torii also serve as gateways for spirits and Kami to 'travel' through, often serving to state that they are welcome on the grounds within the torii. These gates are created with common resources such as wood and stone, however many modern and historic shrines decorated them with ornaments.

These are various versions of a torii gate, these are categorised in a grouping called the "Shimnei Family". These torii all look unique, despite featuring the same basic construct. Changes may include decoration, structure, resources used, and shape - however they all form a rectangular arch to serve as an entrance point.

The Honden
The Honden is a sacred structure in Shinto shrines, commonly seen as the most sacred of all the structures within the shrine. It is commonly believed that the Kami may live in the honden, and thus many are closed to the public, being only accessible to priests.

Heiden
The Heiden is an offering hall in the shrine, used by the general public and shrine workers to donate offerings to the Kami. These buildings are often connected to or close to the Honden and Haiden. They are often filled with thin strips, similar to that of Ofuda. These strips of silk and paper are linked to the offerings provided in the Heiden.

Haiden
The Haiden (not to be confused with Heiden) is the Hall of Worship in Shinto shrines. This structure provides a quiet environment for both ceremonies in the shrine, and worship of the Kami.​

RITUALS IN THE SHRINE
The shrine is home to several rituals, including but not limited to;

Purification Ritual
The Purification Ritual is one that occurs each time, upon entering the shrine grounds.
Infront of the person conducting, there will be a ladle and a small pool of sacred water. The person must first take the ladle in their left hand, cup the water, and rinse their left. Following that, they must move the ladle to their left hand, and repeat the process to clean their right. Upon completion, the person will then move the ladle back to their right hand, and cup their left - upon doing so, they will pour a portion of the water from the ladle into their left hand and rinse their mouth.
Upon completion, the ladle must be placed back where it was originally found, upright so that the remaining water can be used to cleanse the handle, in preparation for the next visitor. Once complete, the person may proceed into the shrine.

The Kagura Dance
The Kagura Dance is a ceremonial dance, in which miko will perform a dance that channels the Kami. These dances are performed in festivals as a form of worship and pray for harvest. During the ceremony, miko may use various props such as bells, sakaki strips, bamboo canes, and more.​

COMMON OBJECTS IN THE SHRINE
Here, I will list my knowledge of objects commonly associated with the shrine.

Ofuda
Ofuda are a form of talisman, formed with thin, paper strips embedded with scripture of a Kami's name, often believed to be imbued with power from the Kami and deities. Ofuda are used for a variety of purposes, one of the most common being protection from various misfortunes and wishes for various fortunes. Ofuda are usually hung around shrines and homes to ward away bad omens - They may also be kept on hand, and carried around by people.

Gohei
Gohei are short wand-like tools, decorated with two white, shide. streamers. This tool is used during rituals, in which the miko will bless either a living being or an object. Gohei are also used for cleansing, as it is believed they can be used to exorcise negative energy from objects.

Tamagushi
Tamagushi are made of a sakaki branch, decorated with shide strips of silk. This item is considered an offering, often given during Shinto weddings, funerals, and sacred rituals to the Kami by either maidens or priests.

Tarot Deck
On SRP, maidens perform fortune telling via the use of a set of Tarot Cards. The tarot are split into two categories, major arcana, containing the most well-known 22 cards of the deck, and the minor arcana, containing 56 lesser-known cards. This deck is important for fortune telling due to the believed spiritual presence surrounding said object.​

SHRINE ATTIRE
Shrine workers have dedicated uniforms they must wear whilst on site, including but not limited to;

Miko Attire
The attire of a miko is relatively simple, featuring a white kimono, often with red sewn strips on the edge of the sleeves, and a red hakama over the top. Mikos also wear a specific type of sock, called 'tabi', and either 'zori' or 'geta' sandals on their feet. Miko may also wear white head-ribbons.
The primary part of a Miko's outfit is white as it represents purity.

Priest / Kannushi Attire
The attire of a Kannushi is relatively similar, clothing-wise to that of a maiden, however it is generally less blank in terms of design.
Kannushi wear a white robe, called a 'Jōe'. This type of robe is worn as a more general outfit for priests, however there are many variants depending on specific ceremonies and events that occur within the shrine. It is also of note that priests may wear the attire similar to that of a miko beneath their robes.​

IC INFORMATION

Character Full Name:

Charlotte Shimura.

Character Title:
Ms.

Character Age:

Character Marital Status:
Unmarried and single.

Character Nationality:
British/Japanese.

Degree/Certifications (If applicable):
None are applicable to the Miko role.​

Backstory
Charlotte Shimura was born into a relatively stable family, as the first and only child of Yuta Shimura and Emily Shimura. Her life at home was comfortable, being in the lower-middle class and socially active. When Charlotte was young, she was introduced to photography and sports. This was due to her father being deeply passionate about sports, and her mother taking on a career as a professional photographer. Charlotte found that she had also built a passion for these two subjects, and began practicing both hobbies with the respective parent. Charlotte was carefully guided down a path of photography by her mother for a large portion of her childhood, however not long after Charlotte's thirteenth birthday, her parents began getting into heated arguments more and more frequently, eventually leading to a divorce.

Because of her parents separating, Charlotte was taken to Japan with her father. They moved into a small house in Sendai and lived relatively peacefully, despite her father developing some unhealthy habits. Charlotte found that she struggled to continue her photography lessons out of the country. Now no longer having her mother as a teacher, she was relying on the internet to learn which was just not viable for her. Because of this, she decided to pursue her copied passion for sports from her father.
At 15, Charlotte noticed her father's habits becoming overbearing. Her relationship with her father wasn't unhealthy, but his issues were impacting her performance at school. After a brief argument, her father was able to acknowledge this and began helping Charlotte search for a school that supported student dorms at her age. Thankfully, they discovered Karakura High through a forum post talking about high-schools that supported dormitories for people of Charlotte's age.

After applying and being accepted into the school, Charlotte packed her things within the month. She gave a brief and un-ceremonial goodbye to her father, and the small house they owned, and set off to live on the small island that was Karakura. Upon arriving, Charlotte had difficulties communicating with people. She had various teachers who she looked up to, however she struggled to talk in general. Because of this, she became a little bit more quiet. She was able to find an online job selling her photography, however the pay wasn't ideal. During this time, she began taking an interest in Shintoism and its culture. She found that it was both healthy and good for her life, and it helped her branch out into a more social person through being able to talk about it in smaller groups. Because of this, she then began frequent visits to the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, offering various donations to the Kami and building more of a picture of the practices that took place there. During these visits, she was able to imagine herself working in that environment, and it was a vision she found great pleasure in.

Upon graduating from Karakura, she returned to England to complete her studies. During her 10 years in England, she found it quite difficult to uphold her routine with Shintoism, and as a result her studies in the religion and practices slowly faded out. Upon completing her studies, she went into a teaching role where she worked in a bar, and then as a Teaching Assistant. She found that although these jobs were able to pay the bills, they were never something she was getting fulfilment from. Eventually, she made the decision to return to Karakura. Here, she continued teaching, however she found that she'd disliked it even more - spiralling into a depressive state because of the stress on her mind from it. Due to this, she found herself re-discovering and returning to the Shinto practices. She swiftly quit her job, and began focusing on these practices, leading to a point where she swiftly fell back in love with the religion. This, and the now apparent need for a job, lead her back to her original vision of working at the shrine, which she decided to pursue.

CHARACTER KNOWLEDGE / SITUATIONS

How does your character act around shrine grounds? How do they interact with guests and other staff?

On shrine grounds, Charlotte herself would act both calmly and maturely. She would want to build a good reputation and image for herself among her peers. Aware that she'd be new to the shrine, she would be as respectful as possible. However, Charlotte herself is a relatively quiet person and thus, may not speak too much unless spoken to at the beginning aside from greetings. She is very hands-on when it comes to having responsibilities and duties, and would thus spend a large portion of her time tending to the shrine and its needs.

With regards to interaction with other people in general, she would be as respectful as possible. At the end of the day, she would more than likely end up being friends with all of her co-workers, and thus be more casual with them when there are no visitors present, however she would generally try to keep a demure and modest attitude whilst on shrine grounds.
When speaking with visitors, Charlotte would be professional, considerate and continuously respectful. In her eyes, ensuring that the experience of visitors at the shrine is always a top priority, second to ensuring their safety and the respect of the Kami and monastery. Charlotte would offer simple hospitalities such as tea, she would also be more than willing to answer any questions they have and assist in any activities visitors which to partake in at the shrine. If the time came, Charlotte would also encourage people visiting to pray, however she would not force it upon them nor would she mention it unless the subject came up.

Upon dismissing people who are leaving, Charlotte would encourage them to return, of course maintaining her calm demeanour in doing so. She would want to ensure as many people as possible visit the shrine and take part in the activities, as well as worship of the Kami. As per usual though, she would not force this upon anybody that wished against it.

You see a guest jumping around the roofs of the building and overall disrespecting shrine grounds, how would your character handle it?
Charlotte cares deeply for the shrine grounds, they're sacred. If people were disrespecting the monastery, she would see it as them disrespecting the Kami.
When dealing with troublemakers, it is essential to Charlotte that she keeps a calm and approachable demeanour. With this attitude in mind, she would begin by asking the individual(s) disrespecting the shrine grounds to stop what they are doing immediately, for the sake of both the Kami and other people visiting the shrine at the time. If the offenders fail to listen, Charlotte would find herself with no other options but to approach the situation with a much stricter attitude. She would inform the person/people disrespecting the shrine that they need to stop what they're doing immediately, else risk being removed from the sacred grounds. Of course following this, failure to behave would lead to Charlotte escorting them to the exit.

With regards to people jumping on the rooves, Charlotte would take a much more cautious approach. A situation such as this is dangerous for both the person jumping around the rooves and those around. Charlotte would ask the person to get down from the roof as quickly as possible, she would offer assistance in getting down as well, acting to the best of her ability to get the individual down without going onto the roof herself, whether it be simply catching them as they jump down, searching for a ladder to get them down, guiding them to the closest safe point to get down, or simply carrying the person from the edge of the roof. If the person refuses to get down, Charlotte would consider it disrespect to the shrine grounds, and thus follow the same procedure. However, Charlotte would also inform her higher-ups and suggest a temporary blacklisting from the monastery, as this sort of behaviour is endangering to everybody involved.

Throughout both scenarios, Charlotte would try her best to appear as approachable as possible. She believes it's important to appear in such a manner as anybody spectating the issue may have their experience affected by the troublemakers on the grounds. She would also maintain this demeanour as in many cases, people are more inclined to listen to an instruction if it is from a friendly voice. Speaking in a tone of concern rather than distaste for their actions also shows humanity, and could inspire them or help to guide them to avoid such behaviour in the future.

Why does your character want to become a shrine maiden/priest?
Charlotte has a desire to work as a shrine maiden for various reasons.
Firstly, she found that following the practices of Shintoism and frequently visiting the shrine had major benefits for her mental health, both as a student and in adulthood. The practices she learned humbled her and helped to ground her - There were only positive changes made to Charlotte from her beginning these practices, and for such reason she feels indebted to both the monastery and the Kami, desiring to work with them and serve the Kami to in a sense 'pay off' that debt she believes herself to owe. Following this, Charlotte is also deeply passionate for the shrine itself. Throughout her life, she has adored what work is done there, from the public events to the simple rituals, it's something she has always admired and wanted to be a part of as more than just a spectator.

Charlotte, in seeing and experiencing the positive effects of the shrine in her life, also has a desire to spread Shintoism and get more people involved in both the shrine and the various practices. Being able to work at the shrine is an opportunity she feels incredibly blessed and honoured to have, however being able to use that position to get more people involved and to help more people discover the practices that remedied her problems would be something she would love to be able to do.

Working at the shrine would also help expand Charlotte's own knowledge of Shintoism, which is another opportunity she feels blessed to have the chance at. She cares deeply for the Kami and for the religion, but she feels as though she doesn't know as much as she wants to. She wants to learn about the Kami, learn about and perfect the rituals, to look after the shrine both as a spiritual place for the Kami to reside at, but also as another structure in Karakura for tourists and civilians to visit and admire. This is the place she feels most comfortable, and she wants to be able to do everything in her power to learn more of it, and then to share what she knows and loves with all who visit.​

END

EXTRA

Thank you for reading and considering my application! I am excited and grateful for the opportunity to apply, I unfortunately didn't have as much time as I hoped for to put it together, but regardless I've put 110% into it and am excited to see the results! Have a good night. <3
PS. Sorry for the yap! I'm passionate about joining this faction, I've tried to convey that as best as possible through the application, and I hope I've been able to get the message across and prove it true!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread