mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

A Guide to Making Good Descriptions!

Sashabelle

Level 34
sashabelle05
sashabelle05
Notable

Hello! If you don’t know me already, I’m sashabelle05, someone who has been hanging around SRP for a few years (Maybe around 4 at this point) now, and I’ve noticed in this time that some players struggle to figure out what information is useful to have in a description, how to write a proper description, and how to color a description.

I know there are wonderful writers in Discord servers such as Misfits Corp. that write and color descriptions that I’d definitely recommend checking out. However, this guide is for those of you who either don’t have the money to pay someone to make your description for you or would like to improve your overall writing skills.

This guide is useful for all, but especially for our ranked players of the server to make use of the extra length and the coloring features.

I’ll divide this into a few different sections so that it’s easy to understand and find the exact information you’re looking for whenever you need it.

1: What Information is Vital for a Description?
2: Filler Information/Other Things that Can Be Added
3: What Not to Include in a Description
4: Description Coloration / Different Styles of Coloration
5: Concluding Thoughts!

Section 1: What Information is Vital for a Description?

I’ve heard a few people struggle to figure out what information should be used in a description, and what should not, so here’s my opinion on what information is VITAL for a description.
Vital information in a description would be things that are noticeable upon first impressions of meeting someone, such as -

1: Height.
This one is obvious but definitely useful. Unlike weight, I’d say exact height should definitely be used in a description, as it’s a very noticeable thing upon first impressions, whether your character be a little 4’8 gremlin that’s gonna bite someone's ankles, or whether they’re a 7’ tall behemoth, it’s easier to just use the exact height rather than confuse people with a ‘decently tall’ or ‘quite short’ in your description, as that’s more of a perspective thing. For example, if you’re short, most people are going to look “decently tall”, whether they be 5'8 or 7’ tall, and vice versa. I often like to include their height in both feet/inches and cm to avoid any confusion, although not necessary.

2: Weight/Build.
A Character build is useful to put in a description, such as being lean, muscular, chubby, etc. Unlike height, using the exact weight isn’t completely necessary, but I often do. It’s just not as necessary, because depending on build, the same weight can look completely different on different people, and it’s often quite difficult to look at someone and immediately guess their exact weight. Like with height, when putting an exact weight, I typically put it in both pounds and kilograms to avoid any confusion.

3: Hair.
Someone’s hair is often a noticeable feature, whether they’re bald, or whether they have floor-length luscious locks. I typically like to include an approximate length, using where it reaches on the body as a guideline when the hair is longer. (Such as “Reaching about her waist.”) For shorter hair, that part isn’t necessary. Someone’s hair texture is also noticeable, especially if it’s curly/wavy. Hair color is also good to add, whether their hair is natural or dyed.

4: Eyes.
While a small feature, I often notice someone’s eyes pretty quickly upon first meeting them. Whether brown, hazel, blue, etc, the eyes are still the window to the soul, as they say. Eye color is good to add to your description, any elaboration upon that is completely up to you.

5: Nationality.
I often make the joke that Karakura is where every country just dumped out all their extra parts because it’s quite a diverse island. Whether your character is Japanese (after all, Karakura is in Japan..) or something else, make sure to add that to their description, as it’s a difficult thing to portray on someone’s Minecraft skin apart from skin tone, but is important information.

Section 2: Filler Information/Other Things That Can Be Added

These things are more secondary, for when you have extra space in your description that can be filled. I don’t know about you, but one of my pet peeves is having enough room for more details in my description, but not knowing what to add. So, here are some things that can be added!

1: Extra Noticeable Features.
Everyone is unique, so don't forget to add a little pizzazz to your character. Whether they have a uniquely shaped nose, a prominent brow bone, or oddly small hands, those small details are what really make a character come to life, so it’s nice to mention them.

2: Tattoos/Piercings/etc.
Not everyone has these things, but if your character does, make sure you include them! I’ve seen characters with split tongues, gauged ears, and tattoo sleeves, and it’s always a cool detail to see.

3: Scent.
Something that I always add when I find I have enough room is someone’s scent. Not everyone has a very prominent scent, don’t get me wrong, but it’s nice when someone does. (Unless they smell like BO..).
Make sure to get creative with your scents, as someone’s scent can actually tell a lot about them.
There are four main scent categories that I like to use, being oriental, fresh, floral, and woody. These can also be categorized into feminine scents, masculine scents, and scents that are neutral/can be either/or.
Feminine scents that I like to use are floral notes like lavender, rose, jasmine, etc, or scents like citrus, or different fruits.
Masculine scents that can be used tend to be more woody scents like oak or sandalwood, or spicier/muskier scents.
Scents that I’ve found can be used neutrally are scents like vanilla or amber.
I’m not big into perfumes/colognes, so I can’t sit here and tell you a specific one to use, but just using the specific scents works well too.

4: Vibe/aura I guess??
I hate using both of those words, but it’s a difficult thing to describe. For example, your character may seem mean and scary, or they could be friendly and kind-looking. Again, a description is typically a first impression, so you don’t have to get too detailed with it past facial expressions, body language, etc.
5: Accents
Like i said earlier, Karakura is a very diverse island, and someone's voice can be another tell-tale way of knowing where they're from - Even more so if they've only recently started learning Japanese, they'd struggle with particular letters or just overall have an accent.

Section 3: What Not to Include in a Description

(This is mainly opinion/recommendation, as the rules state that it’s encouraged to only include physical features of your character, but that you CAN include however much you’d like.)

1: Relationships.
I try to think of a description as a first impression of somebody. Things you’d notice upon first inspection. Therefore, I wouldn’t recommend putting relationships in your description, whether it be romantic, friendship, or family. If you’d like for people to know your character is dating someone, I'd recommend possibly a necklace or bracelet with a name on it, or possibly a promise ring or an engagement ring if they’re engaged.

2: Likes/dislikes.
These are things that should be roleplayed out, rather than stated in a description. For example, you can't look at somebody and think “You look like a guy that doesn’t like the color red.” unless he was wearing a shirt that said “I HATE RED!” on it. If, for example, your character's favorite color was purple, try making them wear purple or dye their hair purple, rather than just explicitly stating that their favorite color was purple.

3: Things relating to their past.
Just like with the likes/dislikes, you can’t typically look at someone and know “You look like you’ve had a dark past”, etc, so I wouldn’t recommend putting that in your description.

4: Health conditions that aren’t noticeable.
If your character has some sort of health condition that you’d be able to see without interacting with them, then that can definitely go into your description. However, if it takes having a conversation with them, or becoming friends with them first to notice, then I wouldn't recommend adding it to your description. Instead, see it as more of a way to make your RP more interesting and unique.

Section 4: Description Coloration / Different Styles of Coloration

A description can be very different depending on the coloration, so I’ll make a simple description and then color it to each style. There are a couple different styles of making descriptions, but i’ll list three different ones, along with an example description to tailor to each style.

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 6.10.29 PM.png

1: Gradient. I’ve seen this one getting more popular recently, and I personally love it. It can be done a few different ways, but typically, you take two different color codes, and create a gradual gradient between the two throughout the description. This style can also be used with italic and bold added into the mix, this is just a basic example.
Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 6.15.18 PM.png
2: Varieties of one color. This one is a good way to keep a description cohesive, but still variable. You can make the color vary more or less depending on your taste.This style can also be used with italic and bold added into the mix, this is just a basic example.
Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 6.17.00 PM.png
3: Standout color. This one is usually done by using either one or two different colors as your main-text and taking a color to use as a standout. This style can also be used with italic and bold added into the mix, this is just a basic example.
Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 6.19.11 PM.png
Those are just a couple examples, there are tons of ways people color their descriptions there and I honestly love them all! Here’s a couple examples of my descriptions.

PNG image.png
PNG image.png
Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 7.32.22 PM.png

Section 5: Concluding Thoughts!
Keep in mind, this guide is not official and I literally have no say in what you do to your descriptions. This guide is simply to help people with ideas for the descriptions, and to help new players with theirs. Have a great day, and thank you so much for reading!

Last edited:

DokiBird

Level 111
Dokiibird
Dokiibird
Omega
What I’m not a fan of is people placing things like “has hickeys on neck” or “heaving a heavy accent” what the fuck is a heavy Mongolian accent in Japan.

Gradients is good, but don’t make it like , black to dark red. Unless you want a blind person to read your description yeah no.

what I prefer of a description is a basic amount of colours ABLE TO SEE, height, a build that you know what it is, like some people don’t know what a hourglass build is unless someone shows it, something basic like smell. Then your set for life. Something most noticeable is like something that makes common sense, LIKE THIS

A heavy accent refers to a pronounced and distinct accent that can make it challenging for native English speakers to understand the speaker. This can be due to various factors, such as the speaker’s native language, cultural background, or geographical location.

Great! Now onto the next, descriptions are supposed to be something special to you and you only, don't be the type to RomanceRP, or F2B (which is against some kind of rule) and then place "Has hickeys" that fucking pisses me off the most. Jeez.. Lets be simple, great people alright.

Meek_Villian

Level 10
Meek_Villian
Meek_Villian
Rich
personally, I don't like adding stuff you can easily see on the skin in the description. Its a bit redudant and I think the space could be used for further characterization instead.

accents are great, they provide a peak into someone's background - plus they're everywhere! They aren't entirely fixed, and are very complex, but I think adding it in the description gives whoever is viewing it an idea about what you mean. In the end, descriptions are meant to be understood and aid in visualizing the character!!! Getting too fancy and or using techincal terms that most people don't know or understand will impede that

Sashabelle

Level 34
sashabelle05
sashabelle05
Notable
personally, I don't like adding stuff you can easily see on the skin in the description. Its a bit redudant and I think the space could be used for further characterization instead.

accents are great, they provide a peak into someone's background - plus they're everywhere! They aren't entirely fixed, and are very complex, but I think adding it in the description gives whoever is viewing it an idea about what you mean. In the end, descriptions are meant to be understood and aid in visualizing the character!!! Getting too fancy and or using techincal terms that most people don't know or understand will impede that
I fully understand what you mean with the adding stuff that's easily visible on the skin, honestly. I just like being able to visualize the character souly from the description, even if you weren't looking at the skin. If you're lacking in space on the desc the hair stuff could definitely be removed, though.

I agree with you on the accents thing 100%, I need to add that to the list of extra things that can be added to a description.

Overall, i figure most people who have been playing the server for a while can make their own descriptions just fine, obv. I just remember struggling to make a good description as a greenie, so i figured there should be at least one guide on it for the newer players, even if descriptions are a more subjective topic

Users who are viewing this thread