Ramen_Noodiles

Level 7
Community Team
Media Team
Ramen_Noodiles
Ramen_Noodiles
Omega+
What's your Minecraft Username?: Ramen_Noodiles
What's the title of your suggestion?: Add Symbols to Fishing Bars for Colorblindness

What's your suggestion?:
You know how the fishing system has color sections for the reel bars right? I feel like it'd be important to add symbols inside of the "correct" areas where you get a successful fish reel. Like where it says "Pull your rod at [COLOR]" I feel like it'd be more accessible for a special symbol to be on the needed reel-in areas.

OBSERVE my HORRIBLE drawing as an example.

Either a line or a symbol or something.

How will this benefit the server and community?:
There's a good handful of users with vision issues or colorblindness that have a genuine hard time fishing, let alone some people don't even know they're colorblind! This could make the fishing mini game a bit more accessible for users with disabilities while playing the game and even with people without vision issues it wouldn't be a major change or an issue. I know I have issues looking at things that make the game harder than it needs to be sometimes, so I know it'll help me for sure, but for others it could be a needed feature while still enjoying the basics.

robinzee

Level 29
robinzee
robinzee
Rich
Yes! Colourblindness is such a common issue and I feel like we at SRP don't really account for accessibility all that much (see also images on the forums with no alt text).

NoZinth

Level 197
Senior Admin
Employee Lead
Gang Lead
NoZinth
NoZinth
Omega+
This is a very easy thing to do yourself! Infact its just editing 10 different png files from the resourcepack, There isn't really enough room to add a symbol of sorts so I've just added a line like you said in the posts, works like a charm!! (I'm also colourblind so I feel your struggle) but I don't think we should implement this onto the server side resourcepack, given it'd sort of defeat the whole purpose of the game. I have the copies of these saved locally and would be happy to show you how to put these into the pack to help you out though!

bar9.png

bar8.png

bar7.png
bar6.pngbar5.pngbar4.pngbar2.pngbar1.png
bar_rainbow.png

Ramen_Noodiles

Level 7
Community Team
Media Team
Ramen_Noodiles
Ramen_Noodiles
Omega+
This is a very easy thing to do yourself! Infact its just editing 10 different png files from the resourcepack, There isn't really enough room to add a symbol of sorts so I've just added a line like you said in the posts, works like a charm!! (I'm also colourblind so I feel your struggle) but I don't think we should implement this onto the server side resourcepack, given it'd sort of defeat the whole purpose of the game. I have the copies of these saved locally and would be happy to show you how to put these into the pack to help you out though!

View attachment 65149

View attachment 65150

View attachment 65151
View attachment 65152View attachment 65153View attachment 65154View attachment 65156View attachment 65157
View attachment 65158
This would be p schmeat and simple to do but i'mma be fr, not a lot of users are really experts when it comes to even simple resource pack additions (let alone editing things on their own from update to update) or know exactly how to do things by themselves most of the time. Like, I can easily add these with no issues but a lot of players who just get in won't be able to know how. I guess to most players it could "defeat" the whole purpose, but it doesn't have to be strictly OBVIOUS but something more aesthetically pleasing or still harder to view without taking color into consideration.

Stewart Pot

Level 8
Mr_Mow
Mr_Mow
Notable
Maybe they could release a second resource pack with black and white color bars instead of green and red, but it seems like a lot of effort for something that affects around 9 percent of people, 10 percent of the time spent fishing which is around 5 percent of their time on SRP and that's generous. I'm neutral though, I don't really fish enough on SRP to care about this, just thinking about the logistics.

Arocatula

Level 194
Arocatula
Arocatula
Rich+
This would be p schmeat and simple to do but i'mma be fr, not a lot of users are really experts when it comes to even simple resource pack additions (let alone editing things on their own from update to update) or know exactly how to do things by themselves most of the time. Like, I can easily add these with no issues but a lot of players who just get in won't be able to know how. I guess to most players it could "defeat" the whole purpose, but it doesn't have to be strictly OBVIOUS but something more aesthetically pleasing or still harder to view without taking color into consideration.
For anyone who is confused on how to do something like this, I would make some sort of unofficial guide on how to do this and direct those who don’t know how to do it to said guide. Otherwise, I do have to agree with the fact that it may destroy the whole purpose if implemented into the resource pack altogether compared to actually doing something slightly challenging at times (like when the green spots are 3 pixels wide) when fishing.

Users who are viewing this thread