Do you have a microphone?:
Yes, I do.

How old are you? (Optional):

What is your time zone?:
Singapore Standard Time (GMT +8)

Do you acknowledge that if you are inactive you will be demoted?:
Yes, I acknowledge.

Describe your activity on the server:
I've been on the server for about 5 months, with a month break in between. Generally I can be online quite often, about 4 hours each day, but my timezone tends to put my active period during the server's quieter hours. I always explore the town for interactions and try to show respect both in and out of character. Also I just fish a lot.

Do you have any previous bans?:
No, I do not.

Link(s) to any previous applications and appeals on the server:

What are your current role(s) on the server? (If you're college, specify your degree level):
Grade 12

Trivia

What subject are you applying to teach?:

Fine Arts (Visual Arts)

What is your motivation for becoming a teacher?:
I had noticed that the art department was empty, and since I'm an actual artist (who's currently pursuing a fine arts degree) I feel like I can pass that knowledge on (though I'd have to dumb it down, obviously I'm not gonna teach university level material in a high school class). While strictly speaking, my character has very limited practical art experience, I feel she would be able to teach art from a more technical standpoint, creating some variety in the Art department.

I wish to contribute to an entertaining school environment. While I'm not expecting to conduct classes exactly like real-life lectures and definitely not change the way other teachers conduct their lessons, I intend to act as a foil to the kind and lenient teacher archetype. As a personal experience, I've had a couple of teachers who were extremely strict, but were the best teachers I've ever had. I'm curious to emulate this, not necessarily to an extreme extent. Sometimes having fun in RP is about getting a strict teacher to lose their shit at you.

Do you understand that you are applying for the teacher role of UT & If your application is accepted, you may have to undergo teacher training?:
Yes.

What are the teacher class logs and why are they important?:
The logs track the number of classes conducted by each teacher per month. This allows the teachers to receive their paychecks and bonuses, as well as keep track of activity and flag inactive faculty members.

As a teacher, what are the strict rules when being in a class?:
When you attend a class, you are there for the class. As a rule of thumb, actions that disrupt the lesson will not be tolerated.

1. Only one person should be speaking at the time, including the lecturer.

2. Respect must be shown at all times, both to peers and the lecturer. If the student has a rebuttal with regards to the lesson material, it should be backed up with reasonable evidence.

3. Toilet breaks will only be permitted at the first and last 15 minutes of class.

4. Violence will result in immediate removal from the class.

5. All personal electronic devices must be switched off or kept on silent mode.

6. All musical instruments must be put away.

7. Questions asked should be relevant to the lesson. Blatantly irrelevant questions will not be entertained during the lesson.

8. Five minute breaks will be entitled at the halfway point of every class. Outside of this break, students are expected to give the lesson their full attention.

9. Ownership of illegal items and actions violating the laws of Karakura will be subject to legal action.

What experience, in general, do you have in roleplay?:
I've attended a handful of DND sessions. My experience with roleplay is limited... unless you count my experience as a furry, of which I'm part of the official community. The furry community has a huge inherent RP aspect, due to the fact most members have a personal "fursona" character they act out. I have extensive experience acting in-character, in-person and in-costume.

In detail, describe the ranking system of teachers:
- HD
↳ Meaning:
Head of Department
↳ Description: HDs oversee all teachers and the content being taught within their department. They hold the highest authority among the teachers and ensures rules are being adhered to by both students and faculty. They are generally highly experienced and act as role models for their subordinates.

- QT
↳ Meaning:
Qualified Teacher
↳ Description: QTs are experienced teachers who have displayed their proficiency in teaching. They are more qualified than NQTs and have more freedom when it comes to how they conduct their classes.

- NQT
↳ Meaning:
Newly Qualified Teacher
↳ Description: NQTs are teachers that have recently completed their training and no longer require supervision when conducting their classes. They are expected to enforce the rules by the book, and are expected to further prove their proficiency in order to become a QT.

- UT
↳ Meaning:
Unqualified Teacher
↳ Description: UTs are newly hired teachers. They have yet to complete training and their lessons must be supervised.

Teacher Knowledge

Present to us your knowledge about Teachers in-game and out-of-game, what purpose do teachers serve. What salary do they get? Include a paragraph about the way teachers teach, what they do in their spare time in general.

Teachers in-game earn ¥350k for conducting 10 lessons within an OOC month, and and claim ¥50k for every 5 additional classes conducted within that same month. The bonus can only be claimed up to 3 times per month, and only 4 lessons can be conducted per OOC day.

Actual teachers are driven individuals, ideally motivated to pass on their knowledge and make their students the best people they can be. Every teacher has their own disposition and knows how to present their lessons to their own strengths. They must understand that every student learns differently, and their opinions do not necessarily have to adhere to what has been taught exactly. Ego and qualifications must be set aside; the knowledge passed on is what counts.

In their spare time, teachers have their own hobbies and interests like anyone else. Their only concern would be that they must conduct themselves akin to being in a political position, that is to say, they must be publicly presentable as role models and functional working adults. Outside of personal projects, they may continue their study and finds ways to enhance their methods of teaching.

Why are teachers important to a SchoolRP server?:
Teachers flesh out the school environment, conducting classes and maintaining a presence on campus. Without teachers, there would be no school. In addition, they act as mentors that can guide the path of newer characters, as well as authority figures that enforce rules and create a power dynamic, enhancing the RP experience. Above all, they provide variety to potential characters and their subsequent interactions.

What lesson planning system does the school work on?:
The “MoSCoW” system, abbreviated from ‘Must have, Should have, Could have, Would/Wouldn’t have’.

Character Knowledge
Tell us everything you know about the character you will be playing in a few paragraphs. How does they look like? What makes them unique and different? What is their outlook on Students? What about the other teachers? What is their personality like? What are their plans for the future?

1679637056750.png1679641323683.png
1679641336985.png

The first detail most people would notice is that Helena doesn't emote very much, if at all. She hates exposing herself, and that includes revealing her thoughts. She's extremely conscious of people staring, and will outwardly acknowledge it if they overstay their welcome. Due to the sheer lack of meaningful social interaction in her upbringing, Helena tends to be quite terse and clinical with her wording, sometimes even a little passive aggressive. However, having spent a fair bit of time in Karakura, she has softened somewhat.

Helena prefers to wear uniforms and suits at work, viewing them as the truly "proper" dress code. Perhaps due to this fashion choice, people also tend to mistake Helena's gender, though she doesn't blame them and is actually quite used to it. She is an extremely disciplined individual who has a low tolerance for people that disrupt the order of things. However, she has an unfortunate tendency to lose her temper and swear up a storm herself. Despite this, she highly acknowledges the enforcement of regulations and the importance of maintaining her public image, and as such has begun looking into activities such as meditation and exercise to keep her head on straight.

Helena believes that people should be treated as what they will become, or at least wish to be. This means that all her students will be treated as adults that deserve respect and consideration. Conversely, she expects the same form of respect from her students. She is willing to ease up and diverge from the lesson material in order to maintain the class's attention, but otherwise she views getting the lesson material across is paramount. She will absolutely drop the hammer without hesitation, understanding that there are students who will take advantage of leniency.

She is aware that her teaching methods can be rather hardhanded, and this may result in conflicts of ideals with other teachers. People who get to know her will understand that she is willing to relax and have a bit of fun once in a while, though unfinished work takes top priority.

If she's doing work off-hours, she may find a café or pavilion to do her work, though in the interest of privacy and confidentiality she would prefer isolated locations. Outside of work, Helena is conducting research on her interactions with, and observations of, the populace of Karakura. She can oftentimes be found with a clipboard making extensive notes, especially in populated areas or immediately after conversations.

As a hobby, Helena explores the wilderness. The peace and quiet allows her to reflect. Her other hobby is observing people and eavesdropping on their conversations, though she's highly aware that it doesn't look particularly professional.

Helena's motivation for coming to Karakura in the first place was to find the people who murdered her brother. She joined the gangs, briefly leading one herself, in order to find the killers. However, the loss of her younger sister to sickness would force her to face her grief instead of clinging to the past. Now, she's attempting to wipe the slate clean.

Scenarios

You find a gang of delinquents in the hallway cursing and swearing, what do you do?:

Assuming they are using profanity in casual conversation, Helena will approach them and firmly ask them to watch their language, citing that profanity is prohibited on school grounds. If they outright refuse or are caught again, she may ask for their names and keep them on her watchlist if they attend her classes. In the event the group gets aggressive or are severely disrespectful, Helena will not hesitate to escalate the situation to administration or the SLTs. At no point will she take physical action on her own, unless in self defense.

No one in your class is listening to a word you say, what do you do?:
Helena will take this as a sign that there is decreasing or no interest in her lesson. She will feel frustrated but try to keep her emotions in check. Helena will tell stories or talk about interesting facts to bring the attention back to her. If she wants to continue on the lesson material, she may instead begin a class activity so everyone is involved. If none of these work, Helena may outright lose her temper and lecture her students on their lack of respect for the lesson. It will create an awkward mood, but on the flip side, the power dynamic should shift in Helena's favour and allow her to continue her lesson.

When in the teacher's lounge, how does your character act?:
Coming from a background of scientific scrutiny and having lost her brother to an act of murder, Helena has a deeply seated subconscious distrust of people in general. As a result, at the start, she will almost never initiate conversation unless it is related to work. She will try to stay professional as she still on the clock. After getting to know her colleagues, she may ease up a little and regard them as friends. If her teaching methods or actions offended one of teachers present, she would take the opportunity to apologize while still willing to defend her reasons for them.

Provide at least 4 detailed /me's of your character inside a classroom:

/me
would regard the class. Most of them would be staring at her, wondering who this new face was. "Good," Helena thought to herself, "I have their attention." She would straighten her tie and put her arms behind her back. Looking around at her class, she says, "Good morning. I'm sure you all know what class you've signed up for, so let's just begin by going over what we'll be learning today." The projector would flash on, showing a point-form overview of the class syllabus.

/me would watch as the students return to their seats with the test paper. "This short test will cover Chapter 2, Human Anatomy. Calculators are permitted, but they will not help you." She would slowly walk through the desks and around the class, keeping a close eye on the students as they rack their brains. Special attention would be given to the known troublemakers, who she can already see are fidgeting.

/me would tell nobody's listening to her. Sighing, Helena would tilt her head and walk to the front of her desk, then sits on it. For a moment she would think of something to catch their attention, then say aloud, "There's this story I think you all would find interesting." She would raise an eraser in each hand. "You know subatomic particles, right? When two of them, let's suppose pair of protons, collide at extremely high speeds," she would knock the erasers together, "they create something new, sort of like mixing paints. The study of this is what we call Quantum Mechanics, and this is why we have particle accelerators." She would place one eraser down. Slowly, she would raise the other to her temple. "What happens if someone is shot by a proton?"

/me would feel her blood pressure rising. She would take a deep breath and slap the textbook on the desk. "Those of you who don't wish to be here," Helena started, "feel free to leave my class." She would walk to the side of her desk and cross her arms, staring daggers at the offending students.

Backstory
[ EARLY LIFE ]
The girl was born in a lab.

She and her brother were raised as part of a study on children who spent their developmental years with extremely limited human contact and stimulation. Most of their early years were spent in complete isolation chambers, knowing only the voices of researchers and the food they were brought. At some point, the girl found a way to pick the lock, and without anyone ever finding out, she snuck out every night to explore the lab premises. She learned of the experiment she was an unwilling participant of, along with the existence of all the other children and, through some bumbling intern's laptop, the world beyond the lab. Her experience made her an outlier in the study, regarded as a breakthrough and a chance to gain new insight. The only thing the girl gained was a deathly resentment for her "guardians".

When they were late adolescents, she and her brother was adopted by the Everhearts, a volunteer family from abroad. They were meant to be a control test for domestic viability of these children, dubbed the "Echo Chamber" Children. The brother was named Byrn, and the sister was named Helena. Byrn was always a bit slow, constantly bullied at school for his awkward mannerisms and Helena usually stepping in to defend him. Eventually the bullying stopped altogether, but gossip and rumours about Helena spread like wildfire. Even though their parents loved them and their adoptive sister, Rose, completely loved her unusual siblings, Helena never felt like she truly belonged anywhere. While Byrn grew up optimistic and gullible, Helena was strikingly bitter and pessimistic, harbouring a sheer sense of distrust towards people. Her only respite was in her work, far away from human interaction.

As only the 2nd batch of EC Children, there was not much data on hand, and thus Helena and Byrn were heavily scrutinized by the researchers that regularly dropped by. Helena was quick to opt out of the research program when she came of age, not wanting to become any more alienated from civilization than she already was. Byrn stayed as part of the program, given the alias "Antumbra" and further studied for his interactions. He was sent to Karakura to study to examine the effects of higher education.

Three years later, Byrn's body turned up floating down the sewers. He was beaten, bones broken and ultimately drowned. The perpetrators were never found.

If Helena grieved, developed a sense of rage, harboured regrets or reacted at all over her brother's death, she didn't show it. To everyone, she was just the same old agitated Helena Everheart that only knew how to get work done, everything else secondary. It was genuinely concerning, but there was nothing that could be done since she just kept ignoring anyone that tried to approach the matter.

[ ARRIVAL IN KARAKURA ]
After completing higher education with a degree in social sciences, Helena had since taken up the role of being the research subject, given the alias "Hardline". She travelled to Karakura to collect data on her interactions with the populace there, picking up where her brother left off. In particular, the education system in Karakura piqued her interest, having only known the university campus where she was born in a lab. Helena noted that there was a constant influx of new students and not many teachers to go around, and in this she saw an opportunity. As someone who never received true care and guidance in her growing years, she could be the role model she always wanted to see, even if she was a little apprehensive about the idea of human interaction at this scale. Not to mention, this would make for some very interesting research data.

Her deeper, darker motivation for being in Karakura, however, was to find the people who murdered her brother, and all the data she's collected on the people of Karakura will help in this endeavour. She's never thought about what she'll do when she does, or how it would impact her new life.

It was only a matter of time before the gangs took notice of Helena's excessive snooping. Having been rejected from the teacher position, her obsession with gathering information had come to a head. Now she was poking her head into truly dangerous territory, attracting some very unsavoury attention.

[ KARAKURA UNDERWORLD ]
Having finally found a place to live, she fortified her apartment into something of a safehouse from which she could focus on compiling her notes. Of the local gangs, there were several that Helena had ruled out from being responsible for Antumbra's death, one of which was the Ketsueki Clan. In particular, they had a dedicated intelligence sector, one she could likely benefit from working with. And so it was that Helena sought them out to offer her services, but it wasn't long before she abruptly left.

She took matters into her own hands. Helena understood that she was only one person, and there was a limit to what she could accomplish before getting caught. With much effort, she set aside her distrust for people and sought out individuals with the same interest for observation. In some cases she would recruit those who pursued her, due to their shared passion for discovering truths. As time went on, the collective grew to a significant size, though it had yet to bear a name. It wasn't until they caught attention of other small gangs that Helena decided on a name to operate under. And thus, the information collective known as Panopticon was born.

[ ACCEPTANCE ]
All bad things come to an end.
Helena left Karakura for several years for reasons she never shared. She had left to attend her sister's funeral. In her pursuits to salvage what she lost, Helena had neglected to cherish what she still had. In her own way, she finally came to accept that, though it's hard to say if her character had changed for better or for worse. Regardless, when she finally returned years later, she shut down Panopticon. Now making an effort to wipe the slate clean and face her grief in a healthy manner, she attempted to apply for the position of teacher once again. This time, however, she applied for the art department, since she may be able to apply what she's learned from drawing so many faces...

Perhaps as a way to make up for her lost family, she joined the Solas family. Not much has come of it, though she does seem to be a little happier.

In-Character Information

SECTION #1 - Personal Details

Full Name (First & Last only):
Helena Solas
Title (Mr, Mrs, Miss): Miss
Given Name(s): Helena Everheart
Preferred Name: Helena

Age (Minimum is 27): 27
Religious Denomination: Atheist
Marital Status: Single

Nationality: Japanese
Current Location: Karakura, Japan

SECTION #2 - Academic Details

Working Experience (# of years): 4

Academic Degree:
Bachelor of Social Sciences
Year of Graduation: 2017
Major(s): Psychology
Minors: Mathematics

Native Languages: Japanese
Other Languages: English

Do you have a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA Certificate?:
No

Extra

Hobbies:
Wandering the town and observing interactions.

Additional notes about your application:
Everyone and their mom is applying for the Art department, so if this doesn't work out, I may apply for a professor position instead.

Do you have any questions?: No.

Last edited:

Oli

Level 120
gncme
gncme
Omega
Accepted
Thank you for your application! Welcome to the Highschool Teacher faction, you'll start your journey off as an Unqualified Teacher (UT).

Once you have been given your roles in the Academics Discord you will be pinged regarding Teacher Training from a HD (Head of Department), or myself. Once you have completed training you will receive your classroom and access to start your own classes.

* If you have further questions, feel free to contact me via the teacher channels in Academics Discord.

Users who are viewing this thread