players online

chel's maiden shrine application!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chel

Level 5

OOC QUESTIONS

IGN:
qchel, however I will be applying for this rank on needled.

DISCORD TAG:

chel!#1900

Do you have a microphone and would you be able to joins discord calls when needed?:
Yes- I’m quite active in calls.

Do you plan to be present for our events and everyday activities?:
Yes, unless something IRL is happening, I’m always available.

Are you prepared to learn about Shintoism?:
Of course!

What do you know of Shintoism?:
I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in terms of Shintoism itself, knowing how rituals are completed, and the proper mannerisms that Shrine Maidens and the Monastery Priest should have. Shintoism is a religion originating from Japan and is considered to be a religion that worships nature itself.

What are you applying for?:
A Shrine Maiden, specifically an Itako.

Why are you applying for this role?:
Although I've joined the server only a few months prior, I have found myself diving into "Karakura's Two Religions" and other lore related to religion on the forums in my free time. Being a religious person myself, the difference in cultures intrigues me and prompts me to delve further into Shintoism. By applying to become a Shrine Maiden, I believe this will help in both my knowledge of Japanese culture and my overall roleplay experience.

Do you understand that you may be removed if you break our rule or server rules?:
Yes- I believe it will be easy for me to follow rules as I have yet to receive a warning or get banned.

What are your expectations from the shrine?:
A professional yet peaceful atmosphere with the priests and fellow Shrine Maidens completing their morning and evening rituals to the Kami. I am also looking forward to the descriptive /me’s and /it’s.

IC INFORMATION

What is your character’s name?:
Haruhi Hoshima

What is your age?:
25 years of age.

Why are you applying to work at this monastery?:
Although I am a firm believer of Shintoism, the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery practices many other religions, making it very popular amongst people that believe in religions other than Shintoism. I believe by applying to work at this specific Monastery, I'll be able to broaden my knowledge about other religions and their respective cultures.

Do you plan to be devoted?:
Yes, and I hope that I’ll be able to maintain a tranquil atmosphere in the shrine grounds.

What is your background? (Backstory.):
Being born blind, Haruhi’s parents were nothing but joyful. Her family encouraged her to become an Itako due to her lack of eyesight. Although Haruhi was not wed to a deity when she became of age, a religious tradition Itako’s usually go through, she was still trained at a young age; resulting in her having more than enough experience as an Itako. Throughout her teenage years, she resided in many Monasteries in different parts of Japan. A few years pass, and Haruhi is in her twenties. Her parents decided to move to Karakura, where some family resided and Haruhi followed. Shortly finding the “Shinsei Seinaru Monastery” and interacting with the priests and maidens on the shrine grounds, Haruhi left with a favourable impression of the Monastery and has now submitted an application to get permission to work on the grounds herself.

Write a letter to the shrine lead:
(A printed piece of paper would be sealed within a colourful envelope.)

To the Shrine Lead,

I am writing this letter regarding my recent application to work at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. I believe I'm fit for the position as an Itako in the Monastery due to many reasons. I have been trained since I was a young adolescent, giving me both prior experience and this also shows my devotion to Shintoism. Not only are there other experienced priests and Shrine Maidens on the shrine grounds, I find the atmosphere quite soothing compared to other monasteries. In my judgement, I believe that working in such a different atmosphere will help me grow as an Itako and expand my overall knowledge of other religions and practices.

Signed respectfully,
Haruhi Hoshima

SITUATIONS

How do you cleanse before entering the shrine?:
Approaching the Chōzuya, you’d grab the ladle with your right hand and fill it with water while pouring it onto your left hand- doing the same action with your other hand. Following this, you would clean your mouth by pouring a proper amount of water with your left hand while rinsing, then spitting the water out onto the rocks below. The final step is to simply tilt the ladle vertically, letting the remainder of the water flow down the handle. This ensures both the ladle and its handle getting cleaned. After the ladle is clean, you'd place it back onto the basin- scoop side down.

How do you pray to a Kami?:
When praying to a Kami, it does not matter if you’re praying to either a Kamidana or an Oshinsatsu as the etiquette is the same. The proper way to pray to any Kami is to bow twice, clapping your hands twice shortly after, and to bow once more. This is done in a timely manner, as it should be executed all in one sitting. You can go the extra step by silently praying to the Kami- standing still without doing any excessive actions.

How do you enter shrine grounds?:
Before entering shrine grounds, you must keep note that you MUST bow slightly at the front gate- also referred to as a "torii" and walk on the side of the paths to the shrine itself. This is crucial- the reason being is that the middle of the path is meant for the Gods (Kami) to walk on, not humans.

How would you proceed with a ritual to offer the kami offerings?:
Almost any food can be offered to the Kami as long as it is not meat. For example, sake, rice, water, and salt- these being the most common. After placing the offerings, prayers would follow and the removal of the offerings.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:
Haruhi would start off with explaining the proper etiquette people should show. For example, no PDA or any other disturbances should EVER take place on shrine grounds as it is extremely disrespectful. After describing the proper mannerisms that people should withhold, she would then go onto explaining how Chozu (cleansing yourself before entering shrine grounds) works and the steps to offering something to the Kami.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:
The ritual would depend solely on the child’s age. For example, if the child was still a baby, a traditional ritual called “Hatsumiyamairi” would be held. The ritual will vary depending on the child’s gender. If the baby is a boy, the ritual will be held 32 days after he is born. If the child is a girl, the ritual would be held 33 days after she is born. Once the ritual is complete, the child will be protected by the Kami for the rest of their life.

If the child has already passed more than 33 days after being born, the parents can wait and take their child to a shrine. This is called “Shichigosan” and requires the children themselves worship the Kami, wishing for a bright future.

You notice a ritual has not been done. What do you do?:
If sensed and or told by another priest or fellow Shrine Maiden, I would personally take this into my own hands and complete the ritual myself. If not possible, I’d request another Shrine Maiden to complete the ritual. Nobody should ever leave a ritual incomplete as it is disrespectful, and if the person that didn’t complete it properly due to lack of instructions- I would inform them almost instantly.

Lovely_Ocean

Level 64
Accepted.
You may request your role as Miko.
DM an admin+
Make a role request
Or link this application within the server's /help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread