PREVIOUS BANS:
None
DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS:
I do
POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
I'm applying for Shinkan
DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I am usually online on the server for about 3-5 hours a day
WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGION?
I don't know much about Shintoism, but I do know that it originates in Japan and involves the belief of Kami (Spirits) based on natural objects and animals. I am interested in learning more about Shintoism and its history & traditions.
WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
Though I don't know a whole lot about Shintoism, I do wish to further my knowledge on the topic, and any other topics relating to it. Also, I'm usually on every day, so I'm pretty active.
In-Character Information

FULL NAME:

Shinji Sakurai
WHAT IS YOUR AGE?:
WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
I'm applying for Shinkan
TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
I do know that the Monastery was originally built on June 6th of 744, and was used as a Buddhist monastery. And that in 2004 a priest decided to burn down the monastery that later angered Yama-no-Kami. Now the Monastery practices Shintoism, but it also accepts people of other religions.
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
Shinji would appear to be pretty relaxed and has a calm nature. He has jet black hair, blue dullish eyes, and can be seen as very professional based on his fashion sense. Even though he may seem serious he certainly does have a goofy side. Shinji was born in Jalisco, Mexico in the year 1993, his father was originally from Japan later took his son to Japan after the death of Shinji's mother. In Japan, he lived with his father and grandparents; his grandfather was a priest in a Monastery in Kyoto. His grandfather took him and educated Shinji about Shintoism and its traditions. After a couple of years of living in Kyoto Shinji moved to Karakura in which he had spent his time furthering his knowledge about the culture and traditions in the hopes of one day being a Shinto Priest.
LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
Dear Monastery lead,
Hello, I would be very honored if you gave me the position of Shinkan at the monastery. I wish to learn more about Shintoism: history and its traditions. I chose to want to work at a monastery to further my knowledge, and to educate others who may be interested in Shintoism and its history.​

sincerely, Shinji Sakurai
Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the shrine?

There are numerous steps that must be completed before entering a shrine: the first one being to bow your head before going past the Torii gate, which is a gate used to separate the outside world from the sacred grounds of the Kami. The second step is to wash your hands, in which you would need to go to a cleansing basin and grab the Wooden ladle with your right hand, and pour water onto your left hand; you would then do the same to your right hand, and hold the ladle with your left hand. After that, you would need to rinse your mouth with the water and spit it down onto the ground and not the basin, and lastly, you must hold the ladle upwards so that the water cleans the ladle.
How are rituals to a Kami performed?
Praying to a Kami usually involves putting X amount yen into an offering box, in which after you would have to ring a bell once after that bow twice to the shrine before clapping your hands twice. After all that you would then bow one last time as you think of your prayer, in which the ritual is complete.
What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?
A Shinto Priest's job is to perform Shinto rituals for worshippers and Kami and officiate Shinto ceronomies. They can also educate anyone who may be interested in Shintoism and about their monastery. While Shinto maidens assist the priest in their rituals and ceremonies; such as the Kagura dance.
Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:
The rite of passage of their child is called "Miyamriri" This ritual will be planned in either 32 or 33 days depending on the gender of the child. If the child is a boy the ritual will occur in 32 days, while if it were a girl it would be in 33 days. Once the ritual occurs the child will have Kami's protection for the rest of their life.
Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:
I would explain the history of the Monastery and the major events that have occurred for example the fire that burned down the monastery in 2004 and what the result of that was. I would also show them around the monastery and explains the daily tasks we priest and maidens do, as well as the history of Shintoism and our beliefs.
What is the name of the Kami that resides at the Monastery?

The Kami that currently resides at the Monastery is Yama-no-Kami, god of the mountains

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you haven't already (as we've moved to the Town Discord), go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Shinkan role (make sure to include your age) ; if no staff are able to assist fill out a form here for staff to get back to you

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread