~
WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
EST
~
DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
I have a microphone.
~
DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I’ve been playing SRP for around a year and a half now, accumulating over a thousand hours at this point. I get on at least a few days a week and spend multiple hours at a time on my main account (erheiurthopirttd). Although my activity is nearly always on my main account, that won't stop me from being more active on my alternate account. I have never been held back by my schedule, so I doubt that it would stop me from attending things such as events, training sessions, etc. As of late I haven’t been as active due to leaving a recent faction that I've been in for over a year (sports), though I’m sure that this faction will surely improve activity and pique my interest. But, without a doubt my activity will likely rise higher than it already is if I do get accepted into a Shrine. Whilst a part of the recent faction, I was one of few that were labeled as the more active members. This led to having more activity due to having the ability to have my characters grow. Since applying, I haven’t ever had an adult character and I think that it would allow me to explore new options especially since it means having the ability to be in the faction. Thus leading me to spend more time trying to grasp the information I do not know of the faction. Moreover, I know of some members in the faction and I can guarantee that as I grow closer to those I do not know, I will spend up to double the hours I already partake in weekly.
~
WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
I am applying for my character to be a Priest.
~
WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
While I wouldn’t say that I have the most knowledge, I definitely would say that I do know a lot about Shintoism. I am undoubtedly willing to learn more information about the religion than I already do, as I find it fascinating. It is hard to compact the knowledge I do know into the proper format, so I will do my best to inform what I do know via a list of terms.
~
Shintoism
Shintoism is the indigenous religion of Japan, though it is nowhere near limited to only Japan. Shintoism, also known as Shinto, is focused on the worship of Kami and the respect for the environment and its ancestors.
~
Kami
Kami are the divine entities that are typically worshiped throughout all Shinto shrines. They represent the aspects of things such as historical figures or nature. It is believed that their protection and influence is what causes things in the world such as storms. Shinto shrines often provide offerings in order to please the Kami through rituals in order to please them.
~
Priest
The priests of the Shinto shrines are typically the ones who initiate rituals and dances, and are known to serve as a medium for the Kami.
~
Maiden/Miko
Shrine Maidens are young priestesses who work to do daily tasks for the shrine. These daily tasks can include cleansing rituals all the way up to sacred dances.
~
Rituals
Rituals are religious or solemn ceremonies that consist of actions performed in a certain order.
~
Izanagi and Izanami
Izanagi, the male deity, and Izanami, the female deity, are known as the key to the creation myths of Shintoism. It is believed they are the reason for other Kami such as Amaterasu.
~
Offerings
In Shintoism, it is common for people to offer gifts to Kami for gratitude or even to ask for a request. Most offerings consist of food, though sometimes people offer things such as yen coins.
~
Male Shinto Titles
Kanbe/Kantomo/Kantomono’s - Low level appointees tasked with miscellaneous tasks.
Kokusho Hafuri - Provincial Hafuri
Ni Hafuri - Second Hafuri.
Ichi Hafuri - First Hafuri.
Gonhafuri - Provisional Hafuri.
Hafuri - Ritualist who is primarily there to aid seniors with various rituals.
Daihafuri - Senior Ritualist.
Sendatsu - Pilgrimage Leader.
Jinin - Assistant Lower-Ranking Priest.
Shisho - Lower-Ranking Priest.
Shinkan - Priest.
Kujo - Sub-Assistant Junior Priest.
Zatsunegi - General Supplicant Priest.
Gonnegi - Assistant Supplicant Priest.
Negi - Supplicant Priest.
Shoguji - Junior Chief Priest.
Gonguji - Assistant Chief Priest.
Guji - Chief Priest.
Daiguji - Senior Chief Priest.
Gonk****hi - Assistant Head Priest of Shrine.
Kannushi - Head Priest of Shrine.
Daikannushi - Head Priest of Major Shrine.
Jingushi - Head Priest of a Major Shrine that receives Imperial Support.
Saishu - The Supreme Priest of the Ise Shrine, also known as Jingu Kancho or Shokan.
~
Female Shinto Titles
Itako - Shrine Maiden.
Miko - Priestess.
Naoshoten - High Priestess.
Mitsue-Shiro - Supreme Priestess.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I have been a part of a faction before, although it wasn’t a city faction, it still gave me experience regardless. Being a part of the sports faction gave me the necessary experience such as coordination and respect. While this certainly won’t entirely apply to the shrine faction, I’m sure that it would help me understand unfamiliar things better and help with coordinating with other faction members. As well as having experience, I often have interest in most things history wise. While religion isn’t in itself history, it still takes up a large portion and is the reason for a lot of important events happening. Which means that I am interested in learning more about Shintoism than I already know. Not only this, but I have been a long time detailrper long before SRP and have a unique way of writing. I am most certain that this will help me with any ic interactions between my character and guests. While it doesn’t matter as much, I do already have an extensive amount of knowledge of Shintoism. Meaning that it would help me with both IC and OOC interactions and questions. Like mentioned before, I spend multiple hours of the day online and would be more than happy to double that for the sake of the faction.
~
DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
I acknowledge and I am more than open to attend any and all mandatory training. Not only that, but I am very fond of Shintoism and look forward to learning more about it and the procedures that follow it.
───────────────────────────────────────

1726717475859.png
In-Character (IC) Section
SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:
He would bring his hands together before bowing his head.
“It is a pleasure to meet you, my name is Jae-Seong Hyun.”
~
CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Jae-Seong nodded his head as he spoke.
“I am Mr. Hyun, as I have a child of my own.”
~
CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
He’d let out a sigh after thinking of how long he's lived.
“As of this year, I am currently 51 years old.”
~
CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
A soft giggle escaped from his mouth.
“I have been happily married to my wife, Nari Jin, for 24 years now.”
~
CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
With his eyes partially closed, he showed off a bright smile.
“I originate from Seoul, Korea. Therefore I am Korean.”
~
CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
Jae-Seong tapped on his phone before raising it up to show off.
“My phone number is the following: (030)-669-9364. I will try my best to respond to my best ability.”
~
WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“The heart of Korea, Seoul, was my forever home. If you know anything about Korea, you’d know that most families are big on Shinto. While I partook in rituals with my family when they hosted them, I never found myself being too fond of it. That was until my nephew, Yeong-Su Hyun, was brought into my life. While I have a son of my own similar to Yeong-Su’s age, he was always attached to my wife like a splinter in a thumb. Seo-Jin, my son by blood, was into Shinto more than Yeong-Su. This was because of my wife, Nari Jin. While I still loosely took part with them, it wasn’t nearly as much as I did when I was younger. But when both Seo-Jin and Yeong-Su moved from Seoul to Karakura, I had more time on my hands than I needed. This gave me a lot more time to do things with my wife. I spent nearly a year learning most of what there is to know about Shintoism because of her. But some part of me still missed both my son and nephew, so both Nari Jin and I decided it would be best to move to Karakura to be with them. I never really was the person to change interests easily, so I sought out a place to continue my passion of Shinto. That brought me to Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. When I first arrived, I could remember all of the rituals my family partook in almost as if it were just yesterday. I knew then and there what I wanted to do while in Karakura.”
~
TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
“From the amount of time that I have stayed here in Karakura, I have visited the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery a countless amount of times. While I still wish to know more of it and its past, I know a fair amount of information regardless. I was told that it was one of the oldest buildings in Karakura that is still standing, not only that but before Shintoism it was grounds for Buddhism. But back then I believe the shrine went by a different name. To my knowledge, there is only one building that survived through a fire supposedly set by one of the priests. Which in itself is interesting, because there must have been a reason for them to have done that. Compelling enough, the building that survived was the one where the Kami of the shrine resided. Other than the buildings and what purpose they serve to the shrine, that is sadly the extent of my knowledge.”
~
WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
~
1726721087518.png
~
“Dear Mitsue-Shiro,
My nephew, Yeong-Su Hyun, informed me that I should reach out to try and contact you about the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. My name is Jae-Seong Hyun, a 51-year-old Korean man, and over the past year I have found myself taking a substantial interest in everything relating to Shintoism. While most of my interest has only piqued this past year, most of my life I have grown up around Shinto. My family, who originated from Seoul, was always big on anything Shinto. So even before this past year, I was nowhere near unfamiliarized with it. I have recently moved to Karakura to take care of both my son and nephew, and have come to a realization that I want to put all my time into Shintoism. Ever since coming to Karakura, I have visited the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery a countless number of times. I want to give my family what I had when I was growing up, and I think that giving them a proper connection to Shinto is my choice of action. I am exceptionally appreciative of your time, and I sincerely wish you the best.

Best Regards, Jae-Seong Hyun.”
~

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Jae-Seong Hyun, one of two sons born to Myung-Sook Hyun and Jong-Su Hyun, was born as the eldest son to the Hyun family. While he was the eldest, his brother Yun-Seo Hyun was the youngest. Both he and his brother were born in Seoul, South Korea. Jae-Seong Hyun and his brother Yun-Seo Hyun were both known for looking almost identical to each other, even though they were born a year apart. During both of their elementary and middle school years of life, everyone thought that they were twins due to their similarities. But once they grew into their teens, they became more and more different. Where Jae-Seong focused more on his studies during high school, Yun-Seo did the opposite and decided to involve himself with the wrong crowd. Eventually, Jae-Seong Hyun began to move out for college, which meant the relationship between the two brothers dwindled. As Yun-Seo had already completely left his house the previous year. Jae-Seong had always wondered how Yun-Seo would live in the world without any support. But because of the connections he knew his brother had, he tried not to think too much of it and reassured himself that his brother would be fine.

Jae-Seong Hyun, at the age of 27, proposed to his current wife, Nari Jin. The both of them met during the years Jae-Seong Hyun was away at college. The two of them grew closer throughout the years, appreciating each other's qualities. During the years of college, Jae-Seong moved further outside of Seoul, more specifically to Osan’s Hwaseong. As they both graduated from college, they both decided to move in together. As much as they loved their new home, Jae-Seong greatly missed his original home in Seoul. After being told the news that a kid was on the way, they both decided to move back. Jae-Seong wanted to give his child the experience he did when he was a kid. His son, Seo-Jin Hyun, was born into the family when Jae-Seong was 31. Although he wanted to give his son the childhood he had, he didn’t enforce Shinto onto him as much as his parents did. Then terrible news had hit him, about his brother Yun-Seo Hyun.

At age 38, Jae-Seong was informed that his brother had a wife and child. Not only that, but he was told that his brother had discarded them as if they were nothing. Though, Jae-Seong wasn’t close with his brother nor the wife and child so he tried not to put too much thought into it. All he could do was watch as everything unfolded. As more time went on, he heard more and more stories being passed from family member to family member. Naturally, it piqued his interest and eventually he settled with the fact that another family member would reach out and attempt to help them. But he was clearly mistaken. The stories were heard less and less and eventually it never crossed his mind again.

Nearing age 49, an unfamiliar woman to him found herself at his doorstep. To his surprise, she was almost in complete rags and begged for help. After offering only his regards, the lady spoke up and explained it to him. She was the wife his brother, Yun-Seo Hyun, had abandoned. The only thing he felt was a sense of disgust and regret. He was told that his relatives were aware of her and her son, and that they never reached out and only watched as they suffered. For his relatives, it was just stories to gossip and laugh about. He didn’t want to listen anymore, and changed the topic. Although the son was nowhere in sight, he offered his home to the both of them. The woman accepted the terms that Jae-Seong had said and agreed to the both of them living with him, though she informed him that they would come by the next day. Confused, Jae-Seong awaited their eventual arrival the next day.

Like the previous day, he heard another knock on his door. To his surprise, there was an 18-year-old boy who wore better clothes than the woman the previous day. Thinking that it was someone else due to the woman not being with the child, he nearly shut the door on him. Then he stared intently at the boy's features. Realizing he was so close in detail to his brother, he quickly took him in. The boy's name was Yeong-Su. Before shutting the door, he looked around for the mother. She was nowhere in sight. For the next year and a half, Jae-Seong raised the boy as his own to his best ability. His son by blood, Seo-Jin, didn’t take too fondly of Yeong-Su living with them.

Nearing the age for college, Yeong-Su chose to go to Karakura to pursue his education. Following almost directly in his footsteps, Seo-Jin did the same. Once again, Jae-Seong was left alone with his wife. Now he had more time than ever to spend more time with her. Over the next year, he studied what there was to know about Shintoism in Seoul. He wanted to have something else to do with his wife since both his son and nephew were gone, so he spent most of his life afterwards on Shintoism. Though, Shintoism would never fill in the hole in his heart that his boys left by leaving. Now at the age of 51-years-old, Jae-Seong pursued both of his boys by moving to the town of Karakura.

1726717979452.png
SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shrine Maidens
“The shrine maidens, throughout most of the past, typically helped assist priests with things such as rituals or dances. In our current time, they perform ceremonial dances and cleansing rituals without the help of the priest. More specifically, maidens perform Kagura- a maiden only ritual. Not only do they perform rituals and dances, but they often offer and sell souvenirs to visitors.”
~
Shrine Priests
“The shrine priests are traditionally the ones who initiate and lead most rituals, as well as perform prayer-related activities such as reciting Norito. Though in current times they share most duties equally with the shrine maidens, priests are typically known for their knowledge of chants and prayers. The shrine priests are as well known for their expertise in worship of the Kami.”
~
What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
“Purification is one of, if not, the most fundamental aspects of Shintoism, which is why priests and maidens alike take the purification before entering a shrine very seriously. Upon arrival to a shrine, most would find themself at a ceremonial purification rite known as a temizuya. Before entering a shrine, it is mandatory to cleanse yourself. Upon closer inspection of the temizuya, there should be a ladle that is known as a hishaku. The hishaku is used to scoop water and purify those who wish to enter the shrine.

In order to properly cleanse, you must first pick up the hishaku with your right hand. Afterwards, you must first scoop up some of the water and pour it on your left hand. Upon doing so, you must switch hands and pour water on your right hand the same way you did for your left. After the completion of cleansing your hands, you must switch the hishaku back to your right hand.

Using the hishaku with your right hand, you must rinse out your mouth. It is important to know that you must not swallow it nor spit it back into the temizuya. Last but certainly not least, you must repeat the process of cleansing your hands once more. After doing so, you must leave the hishaku where you found it and now have the capability of entering the shrine.”
~
How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
“Traditionally, you must need an offering such as a yen token or other necessities such as rice or drinks. It all depends on what kami you are trying to give your offering to. Upon having the desired offering for the Kami, you or a priest would have to place it into an offering box. Then either you or the priest will provide the offering to the Kami via the Suzu.”
~
How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
“A tea ceremony is a common ritual performed by priests or maidens alike, it can be performed in a countless number of ways. Most of the time, the tea room is situated according to the season and time of day it takes place. Though sometimes, procedures for the season and time of day result in simple things such as cleansing.

As the guests arrive at the tea ceremony, the host invites them inside the tea room. Before doing so, it is mandatory to leave their shoes and other belongings outside of the tea room. Upon entering, it is required for the guests to ritually purify themself by washing their hands and mouth with water. Sometimes meals are prepared for the guests to eat before the tea ceremony, but it isn't required for the ritual. When a meal is prepared, it is typically accompanied by sake or sweets.

Now in order to prepare the tea for the guests, a kettle or tea bowl is put over a hot surface such as a fire or hot charcoal. Once warm enough, water is added to it. As the water heats up, a matcha whisk is sometimes added to the bowl in order to loosen its bristles to make it easier to use. Once the water is finished heating up, raw matcha is added to the water as it is coalesced together by using the matcha whisk.

It shouldn’t take long before the tea is finished, and once done it is passed around to each guest. Once each guest has had the capability of drinking from the kettle or tea bowl once, it is returned to the host of the ceremony. The host will then have to clean the tea set and tools before the guests are called back from the tea room via the sound of a Suzu or gong.

Bows and courtesies are exchanged between the hosts and the guests before they eventually leave.”
~
Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamagushi
“The tamagushi is an offering that is made of tree branch of sakaki, and it is garnished with shide strips of washi paper, silk, and or cotton. Priests present them as offerings to the kami during events such as weddings or funerals.”

~
Ofuda
“The ofuda is a talisman that most people know about, it can be made of different kinds of materials such as paper or cloth. While most people at least have heard of the name ofuda before, most might not know that there are many different functions for the variations of them. Typically, most people know them for their protection against yokai, but other forms of ofuda are also used to rid people of things such as unluckiness. The ofuda are typically seen being hung around doorways or even in places such as gates. Most shrines offer them to any guests.”
~
Kagura Suzu
“Slightly off-topic, but the part of the name called Suzu means bell. The Suzu is a type of bell that is used at shinto shrines for either small good luck charms, or if bigger they’re used for shrine entrances. The ones used at the shrine entrances are usually rung to rid the shrine of any evil. This leads me to the Kagura Suzu. The Kagura Suzu is an instrument consisting of twelve-to-fifteen of the small Suzu mentioned before. The instrument is used to call for the Kami in a ritual by dance, or for large scale festivals.”
~
(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Tenjin, the kami that's based off of academics and intelligence, is the one that most fits Jae-Seong Hyun. Originally, Tenjin was deemed as the Kami of natural disasters and it was seen fit to worship them to avoid things such as curses, but since then the view of him has been completely changed. The reason why Jae-Seong Hyun would worship this Kami, is because he’s the brother who focused solely on his studies rather than any friends or connections. He cares a lot for his academic ability, and is always seeking new ways to improve it.

Users who are viewing this thread