MONASTERY APPLICATION

Shinsei Seinaru Monastery Staff Application

Out-Of-Character (OOC) Information

IGN:

chikntendrrs

DISCORD TAG:
cultist#9078

PREVIOUS BANS:
Previous ban for breaking into Aufallen as a new player, Latest ban for OOC toxicity.

DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS:
Yes

POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
As of now, I’m going to be applying for a Miko.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
Although I have taken a short break from SRP due to an overall lack of motivation, I am planning on increasing my activity nevertheless. I make it a habit to log on almost daily!

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGION?
I am aware of the basics and origins of Shintoism as I have read through the article that explains the SRP Monastery lore multiple times. However, I am very prepared to learn much more about Shintoism and widen my knowledge on it.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
What makes me stand out, I believe, is my activity and the experience I have within the SRP community which makes me fit for the role. Even though I do not know much about the shrine at the moment I am willing to put time into learning and researching everything that will help me. I am dedicated for the role and willing to put the time into it that needs to be put in.
1635620598645.png

In-Character Information

FULL NAME:

Yu Soyonakawaharu

WHAT IS YOUR AGE?:

WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
I am applying to work at the monastery at the request of my 3 friends currently working there. I have been recommended because of my current history with Shinto shrines. I will admit I have areas where I lack knowledge, but I am willing to learn and grow along the way.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
The Shinsei Seinaru Shrine was originally built in 744, on June 6th. The shrine’s original purpose was to be used for Buddishm, yet this was changed when a large fire destroyed most of the building. It was eventually shifted to be a more accepting commune, welcoming a number of religions in.

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:

Yu was born to a very loving middle-class family, Ise, Japan. Her parents were overfilled with joy upon her birth, as she was their firstborn. Soyona was very loved as a child, spoiled by her parents, along with her grandmother. As her mother and grandmother were very included in the Shinto shrines, as her grandmother was a shinshoku, she was brought to the local shrines after the first month of her life. They hosted a beautiful ceremony, to pray and wish happiness and health upon Yu. Her family likes to bring up this moment, joking that this event brought her love and beliefs of Shinto. As her life went on Yu’s life lived up to their prayers, she was a healthy, and happy child. Very soon as Yu began to better develop sentences her grandmother, going by Fujii Minori, would form a close bond with Soyona revolving around their love of the Shinto shrine. Yu would often tag along with her grandmother to pay her respects to the kami. The girl would slowly take great interest in her grandmother's work, watching everything she did with such intense respect and love. Fujii notices this interest, taking Yu under her wing. She started her off slowly, making sure not to overwhelm the young girl with information. After a while Yu would take it upon herself to begin more in depth shinto courses in her free time. She eventually excelled in her religious studies, being accepted into a training school for Shrine Maidens.

LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
Monastery Lead,
I am reaching out in regards to request a position as Shrine Maiden at the Shinsei Seinaru Shrine. I believe I would be a good fit for this opening, from a young age I have been trained in Shintoism. I hope you take my application into consideration. I currently have personal experiences as I helped my grandmother; an overseer of Ise Grande Shrine, as a child. My interest has yet again peaked and I wish to be a part of a greater cause.

Sincerely,
Soyonakawaharu Yu.

Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the shrine?
lt is customary to bow before each Torii gate before entering the Shrine. After this, you must wash both your hands and mouth with the basin provided. To begin cleansing, you would scoop water with your right; pouring water onto your left and repeating the steps with your hands switched. To wash your mouth, you would pour water into your mouth before spitting it onto the rocks below.

How are rituals to a Kami performed?
To start off the ritual/offering, one would first place their offering. The most commonly accepted offering is usually some coins of yen, and you would place your offering into the offering box. After this, one would swing the bell before bowing twice; clapping twice shortly after. Praying isn’t mandatory after this and you would usually bow once more after.

What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?
Shinto Priests are basically in charge of going out in the city and interacting with citizens. They are in charge of purification rituals and other services offered at the Monastery. Maidens also go out into the city occasionally however their tasks usually remain in the Monastery. Their tasks can range from performing both morning and evening rituals and cleaning around the Shrine Grounds.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:
A proper explanation about “Hatsumiyamairi” would be needed, as it is a rather complicated ritual that blesses the child with the Kami’s protection for their whole life. If the child’s gender is a girl, the ritual would start 33 days after their birth. If the gender is a boy, the ritual would be held 32 days after their birth.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:
A small run down about the origins of Shinto would be required before I would talk about the overall history and lore behind the Monastery. After, I would briefly describe the main differences between a Shinto Priest and Maiden.

What is the name of the Kami that resides at the Monastery?
The God of the mountain, also known as the Yama-no-Kami, resides at the Monastery.

Last edited:

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you haven't already (as we've moved to the Town Discord), go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Miko role (make sure to include your age) ; if no staff are able to assist fill out a form here for staff to get back to you

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread