esobe (applying)
DISCORD NAME & TAG:
verkl3mpt

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
Central Standard Time (CST)

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
I indeed do have a working microphone.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
My activity is fairly good, I'd say. I'm almost on everyday, from 2:30pm to 10pm (or more). I would say I'm on SRP around 8-10 hours a day. I have been tired these past 2 weeks because of school, which has recently started for me. Therefore, I believe my activity is at an 8/10, some decrease in it since early August. Some days I do stay off my PC and nap, because of how tired I can be. These naps can last hours up to a day, so that also decreases my activity.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Monastery Priest

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Shintoism is a religion that has belief within 'spirits' and those who practice the religion refer to spirits as "Kami". Kami are spirits that live in plants, animals, and more including people of the dead. Shinto is a large religion consisting of over 7 million people, mainly practiced in Japan. So far, that's all I am aware of on Shintoism, and I am extremely open to learning much more about it.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I believe I stand out due to my love for history of Japan and fascination with their practices and their overall life. Japan is a beautiful country, and I am more than willing to find out more about the country and all of the practiced religions, having knowing what I know now, it intrigues me more than anything. I am well involved in topics of religion and spirituality, and I feel with that it makes me more available and easier to teach more about the topics. I am open to listen, and open to study and explore deeper into the depths and history of religion and Japan itself, therefore, I am more dependable and more open-minded, more consistent, and more willing.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
I do acknowledge this, and I am very open to learning more.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Liu Guohua

CHARACTERS TITLE:
Mr.

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Single, never married.

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese and Chinese.

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
030-605-9281

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

"I have always been a Shinto, and have always dreamed of being around the place I love most. The Monastery has been a place I've visited for years throughout my lifetime, especially with family. I've only gone to worship and practice my religion with my family and never fully got the experience at the Monastery. Since I have seen Maidens and Priests work so hard to keep the Monastery at up-keep and take care of our kami, and constantly be with them is something I admire most. The beauty of it all captivates me and brings me such joy, that I want to be at such a place for as long as I can; until I die, even. It's a sanctuary that brings me a thousand times peace, and keeps me fully grounded and connects me deeper with the kami and ancestors that may lay about and wander their palace. I dream this position and station is my best, and will make me happier than I have ever been, and connecting with spirits and ancestors is the best part about it. My full motivation is to make citizens of my home, Karakura, happy to be there and feel like they're at home, swarmed with compassion and generosity from our beloved historic pieces and kami, along with maidens and priests, and to make sure kami and our shrine is protected."

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
"All I am aware of is, the shrine was built in 744. The Monastery had been burnt down by its first leader, Ginjiro. It was originally a site of Buddhism, then turned into a monastery for Shintoism because of the religion being brought into light of it. The shrine was built in the mountains, and it has sheltered the Kami. It is known to be a more spiritual location due to the amount of 'seclusion' in the area surrounding it. It is also known for Gods to gather in the area, but only one is known to have stuck around."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

"Dear Shinsei Seinaru Monastery Lead,

You are receiving this letter with respect and high regards to you. I hope you are doing well, and are happy to read this letter and it puts a smile onto your face. You are an amazing role-model, and dare you accept me, I hope we can work happily side-by-side with each other. I look up to you as a not just a figure, but as a wonderful human whom I respect with all of my being.

My best wishes and prayers to you, Lui Guohua."

BACKSTORY:
Lui Guohua lived a nice life, having riches his whole life and feeling as if everything was simply handed to him. Regardless of if he was given things freely, the young boy worked for what he wanted to, not allowing his parents to feed him greed and turn him into a spoiled brat too often. He was a hard worker, and did very well in school, exceeding his teachers' and parents' expectations. He held his grades above 90 every year. He studied long and hard each night, passing every exam and test thrown his way.
The young boy was always taken to a Shrine, giving offerings to kami with his parents. He greatly admired the maidens and priests for dedicating so much of their time to the kami, and dreamed that one day, he'd be the same as them, too.
Guohua started appearing at his main Shrine in the town he grew up in, Shirakawa, Japan. He was born in China, but moved a year after he was born. He came to the Shrine daily, always with a new offering. Whether it be yen, or a food offering consisting of rice cakes and sake, or just freshly picked products his parents have grown on their farm. He became a known worshipper and believer, making friends with the maidens and priests. Unfortunately, his time came to an end in that town, and he has yet to go back.
Guohua started to look for a college to go to after journeying his years in high school in Shirakawa. With the help of his parents, he found a small town Karakura, Japan, and sought to move there. He loved the way it looked, with beautiful mountains to accompany him while he took walks in the local forest, and the sun shining beautifully, reflecting all of Karakura's beauties. There was also a Shrine that sat calmly and peacefully atop one of these mountains. He went one day to visit, and immediately fell in love. It was an absolutely stunning sight, captivating all of his attention. He fell in such deep love with it, that he dared to forget about college and instead wanted to work and the place he now loved most: The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. He aspired to become a hard-working and loyal priest, his most biggest dream.
Guohua sat in his apartment daily, writing up and studying even more about Shintoism, and exploring the facts and history he hadn't already known. The more knowledgeable he became, the more confident he got in applying to become his desired position. The young man sits now, pondering and waiting for a callback on his application, excitedly waiting. May he get rejected, he will re-apply. He was motivated, and couldn't give up.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinto Priest
"The main function of shinto priests (shinshoku) is to officiate at all shrine ceremonies on behalf of and at the request of worshippers. They perform purification rituals. They can also hold marriage ceremonies. His main role is to ensure the continuance of a satisfactory relationship between the kami and the worshippers through offerings, evocation, and meditation of the deity’s blessing to the parishioners. He is also responsible for the maintenance of the shrine."

Shinto Maidens
"Shrine maidens (miko) assist with shrine functions, perform ceremonial dances, offer omikuji fortune telling, sell souvenirs, and assist a shrine priest in Shinto rites. They also perform conducted exorcisms, practiced divinations, acted oracles."

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
"When you approach the entrance of a Shrine, you must purify yourself properly. In order to do so, you must follow these steps:

• There should be a wooden dipper when you approach the temizuya. You take the wooden dipper and scoop up some water.
• You first wash your left hand, and switch the dipper into your left hand, washing your right.
• After, you change the dipper into your right hand again, and you must rinse your mouth with your left (pour water into your left hand). Make sure you do not touch the dipper with your mouth. Spit it out at the rocks below, and be careful not to spit it on the basin.
• Lastly, you must wash the handle of the dipper. After you are finished, you are to place the dipper on the basin once more, the scoop facing down."

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
Food Offerings
"The believers give food and/or drinks to the staff of the shrine. Then, the Shinto priest will be in charge of offering those to the deities. He purifies himself, then he accomplishes the offering by following the tradition as much as he can. Offerings consist of sake, rice cakes, salt and/or water. The best of the season, such as seafood or agricultural products from the mountain are gathered and offered."

Monetary Offerings
"The most common tradition is offering money to the gods. Often, there will be an offering box with a large rope in front of it attached to a bell. It is said that it is lucky to use five yen coins. First you throw the money, then bow once, pray, clap twice, and then bow again to thank the gods for their time."

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
"Before the ceremony begins, you are to bow to your guests and guide them to their mats.
• You are to use a bamboo scoop to place the tea into a gongfu teapot, at least 1/4 with leaves.
• Next, you are to boil the water. You can use filtered water or mineral water to make the taste purer.
• After the water is done boiling, you must pour the water into the teapot. You are to move the pot in a small circular motion.
• Then, you are to pour the tea into a fairness pitcher to catch any loose leaf debris.
• Lastly, you are to pour the tea from the fairness pitcher into the teacups."

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Kagura Suzu
"They are not used in home worship, or at the kamidana. Usually, they are being used by a priest during ceremony — especially shrines which enshrine Ame no Uzume no Mikoto, or most commonly, by miko during offering the Kagura ritual dance. Which is why they are “Kagura bells”."

Tamagushi
"A tamagushi is a small branch of the sakaki tree, an offering decorated with hide strips of washi paper, silk, or cotton. It is usually regarded as a symbolic offering. The first three theories seem to indicate that tamagushi originated as some sort of offering to kami."

Ofuda
"An ofuda is a type of amulet or talisman. It is a small piece of paper with varying power, size, and price, being mainly used to exorcize supernatural beings and create barriers. It used to be frowned upon, and it also is said to have 'life spans,' which is usually about a year. Once the ofuda has served its purpose, it is burned at the shrine it was obtained from and it is only then that you get another ofuda that serves the same purpose, if need be."

Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
"Benzaiten, the goddess of everything that flows including water, music, words, eloquence and love."

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Your application to the shrine is appreciated, however, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app. Next time, try to write your app with your words, not an abbreviation or slightly changed version of what the internet says.​

Users who are viewing this thread