players online

Daggerfull | Reporter Application

Dagga

Level 1
OOC (Out-Of-Character) Information:

What is your In-Game-Name (IGN)?:
Daggerfull

Do you have Discord and a microphone? If so, what is your username?:
I do have a microphone and I'm available to use it whenever is needed as well as my discord which is: Daggachino#2355

List your timezone and country: PST - United States

Describe your activity: I'd describe my activity over all an 8 out of 10, though things do sometimes come up where I may be unavailable for a day or two. My motivation for playing on the server has recently reignited. Though I want to do something different this time, seeing as there is an open space in the reporter’s role, I would like to commit my time to this endeavor.

Do you have any previous bans? If so, list them below:
Major OOC Harassment/Doxxing: (July 07, 2020). Served 7 months before having the ban lifted. I have changed from the past and promise you nothing like that would ever happen again.

Assisting/Failure to report bypassers: (June 17, 2021). Also served around 7 months before the ban was lifted, said players that were bypassers I no longer talk to nor do I have contact with them.

Link any significant applications (e.g., Roles/Teams, exclude languages):
Janitor application: (
ACCEPTED, but there wasn't enough room on the roster.)

Shop application (Auffallen OG): (
ACCEPTED, 4klemons (Matt-) got the shop but we both made the application with the permission of the faction lead.)

7'5" character height application (
ACCEPTED)

What is your motivation to apply for reporter?:
My main motivation in applying for the reporter role, is to allow more players to have knowledge of what's going around the city. Despite there being many other reporters I do feel that with my induction into the reporting team that we can cover even more personal stories gain more perspectives into the happenings around Karakura. Journalism sounds like an exciting and interesting thing to do, but I'm not entirely sure if I want to make that my actual career irl due to complications as far as practicality goes. So I think a decent middle ground to get a similar experience to do it would be via these channels.

Do you have any experience with writing? What is your relationship with writing?:
When I was incredibly young I wanted to be a journalist. Unfortunately, the classes that I attended were often more focused on writing essays and not so much telling a decent story. Experiences like this caused me to not really look forward to writing as much, though I will say that my passion for writing really flared up again once I started playing on the server. While I do understand that the writing that I will be doing with this role is different from the writing that we do day-to-day in SRP, I do consider that to be one of my main reasons into getting back into writing in the first place. Academically speaking, I have completed two college level writing classes; Composition I and Composition II. Though I will admit that my major is currently not in the writing field specifically.

Are you aware of - and will follow - the set of rules provided to you?:
Yes, I have read each of the rules thoroughly and promise I will stick by them.

Why should we accept you over others?:
While I do feel that that is a question that you should be asking yourself, I will give the reasoning as to why it would be within your best interest to accept my
application over others. I'm on good terms both IC and OOC with a majority of the players on the server. As such, I do feel that it would be significantly easier for me/my character to obtain different sides of stories in order to make my reports as unbiased as possible compared to other applicants who may not have that same degree of social prowess. I also feel that I can write stories which appeal both to long time players of SRP and newer players of the server. As I have been playing on the server since 2018 and never took this job, I feel that I could add a different perspective. I also feel that considering I have not been in any other groups such as EMS or KPD, I will be a fresh face amongst those who have been around the city factions. While one may consider this a drawback, I personally think it is a good thing as having the same people in the same positions begin to get stale. Simply put there is no true drive for innovation, there is no fresh perspective. As such, a new face may very well bring the reporting role to new heights.

Do you understand you have to stay completely neutral with all reports? (Your report can't have any OOC or IC bias towards a specific group.)
Yes I understand that, the job of a reporter is to provide the truth to the public and not an agenda.

Do you trust that you will be able to stay active and complete the monthly quota?:
I trust that's all not have too much of an issue in this area. Should complications arise, I will swiftly let you know.

Summarize what you imagine work as a reporter is:
Working as a reporter is fulfilling one's obligation to society to spread the truth and inform your countrymen of the happenings around the city. While it is not the safest profession, I feel as though compromising your own safety is a small price to pay in order to inform and ensure the safety of all the citizens of Karakura. While in certain aspects it can do a thankless job, it allows one to experience and interact with people that the average person would otherwise never even cross paths with. Though there is also the unfortunate reality that you will sometimes be exposed to the more undesirable aspects of human society. There will also be times where someone might not appreciate the topic that you write about. Whether it be just you to the subject at hand not appealing to them or they simply do not like you as the writer. While I have listed negative aspects to the profession do not mistake that as issues with the profession as a whole, but more so challenges that a reporter would likely have to come to terms with.

IC (In-Character) Information:

Treat this section like it is your own character answering it.

Full Name:

Hi! My name is Masaru Yamagashira

Preferred Name/Nickname and Title (e.g., Ms, Mr)
People all around call me Masaru or "Mas", though formally I prefer Mr. Masaru Yamagashira.

Current Age (25+):
I am 46 years old.

Past job/work experience:
I was a Senior Correspondent at Yokohama Daily Head Writer for Tougyo Times

Degree/qualifications:
I have three Masters degrees, one in Journalism, Professional Writing and the other in Business, my other degrees are Bachelor's degrees, one being in Liberal Arts and the other being in Business Administration.

Nationality and born location:
I am 100% Japanese, born and raised in Karakura, Japan.

Phone Number:
My phone-number is 030-525-6379.

How would you describe yourself in under 150 words?:
A native Karakuran. Always excited to meet new people, strive to enrich others lives whether it be through writing we're just giving them an outlet to tell their stories. Whether it be another lifelong Karakuran, or someone fresh off the boat from another country I feel like everybody's story is worth telling. Firm believer in the doctrine of “knowledge is power”. To speak of the triumphs of others in order to inspire. Or to bring light to the misfortunes of others to prevent similar misfortunes from befalling others would be an honor to me.

What are you interested in writing about? How will you achieve this, and would you consider going out of your comfort zone?:
I'm impartial to writing on a specific subject, but more than likely I will report on the various crimes that take place throughout the city, and on the gangs that perpetrate them. I will venture to criminal hot-spots around the city to help paint the picture of the happenings of the underground. When it comes to ensuring the safety of the public comfort zones, it should not be a factor that one can reasonably consider.

What are your expectations for the job?:
I expect it to be one which requires a lot of dedication. I don't expect any day to be a cakewalk, but I do expect it is to be rewarding in the end. it's not really about the money but more so the stories that have been untold so far. I don't expect everybody to be friendly and willing to tell me their story, but I understand that I have an obligation to fulfill. So if someone will not tell me the story, I will seek out other avenues in which I can obtain the truth. this job will require lots of social interactions whether it be a criminal or a cop, a middle schooler or a senior citizen I will need to see every side to the story to piece the puzzle together. If this job requires me to put myself in harm's way, so be it. I welcome the challenge.

Do you have a criminal record? If so, list the crimes below:
Clean record.

Fluent Languages (Underline your native):
Japanese
JSL
German

PROMPTS:

You will have to write two ‘reports’ about a topic of your choice. Here we can see how pronounced your writing is and how creative you are. Use your own formatting and your own report idea. (If you’re found plagiarizing an actual report or another applicant, you will be denied.)

Please note that both of these are exhibitions, info might not be accurate.

#1 - General report. Report about a topic, informing player’s about an event or significant issues to Karakura.

Good morning citizens of Karakura!

I wanted to talk to you about an important issue I'm pretty sure the majority of you have encountered at some point, and if you have not encountered it yourself you've likely met someone who has. Simply put, I'm talking about finding the best place to stay. I will be looking at a few complexes in this article. My journey first started in complex G. Located right next to the police station, one would think it's one of the best places in the city to live, but for many people that is far from the truth. It is important to note that there are options here that are significantly cheaper than around the city. Where most apartments can range from ¥50,000 to six figures per month, apartments here can be as cheap as ¥15,000. To newcomers of the city this is an incredibly appealing price point. The only real downside is how small the rooms are as they were only designed for housing one person at the time. Though every single ¥15,000 room that I had visited on my journey there was packed to the brim with people. One might ask why four people would cram themselves into such a small living space. I decided to ask that very question and the responses were almost unanimous; they could not find anywhere else to live. Pricing was not an issue for them, it was more so the fact that there were no desirable properties in the city. Almost all of them were owned by people who were never around. When residences were foreclosed and there was a vacancy, dozens of people would show up in order to try and claim the property for themselves. It would end up being completely random in terms of who actually bought the residence. However, those who were not able to claim the house for themselves would sometimes get lucky and be offered by the residences new owner an opportunity to reside there until they were able to find a place for themselves. I asked one of the complex G residents when it's like living there day-to-day. They responded that it was simultaneously the most amazing thing and the worst thing that they could imagine.

Everyone around the complex knew each other, but that did not prevent a lot of noise complaints within the complex. Many former residents that I interviewed agreed that it was one of the loudest complexes that they have ever resided in. Like any other apartment complex in the city, you will occasionally have rowdy residents. However, complex G has gained a negative reputation for the number of residents that have been cited for noise complaints. As I left the complex I came across a pair of residents who were returning home to complex G. I asked them what they thought the reason was for why there were so many loud occupants, one of the pair told me that they felt that it was an issue of there being so many people crammed up into a tiny room day after day. They would tell me they felt as if eventually these people would just break down and begin to try and make others feel just as miserable as they were. Their companion gave their own opinion, being that it was just one succumbing to the mentality. “Everyone else is doing it so might as well do it myself” if you will.” I then thanked them for their time, then I pressed on towards my next destination. The next stop on my journey was complex H. As I walked up to the entrance of the complex, I saw two masked individuals standing by the entrance of the power plant. I Looked at them for a few seconds before they retreated further into the power plant. The first door I had knocked on, opened to reveal a high schooler with a baseball bat in hand looking rather skittish. Trying to lighten the mood, I asked them if he had his own personal batting court inside while reaching into my jacket to pull out my business card. I was met with a scream followed by the noise of a door slamming shut.

I would go to the second floor of the complex in order to find someone to interview. To my luck there was a small congregation of students in the hallway. They were all residents barring one complex D resident who was visiting a friend. I had introduced myself to which they reciprocated the gesture with their own introductions. This was here where popped the billion-yen question; what is it like living in complex H? The reaction of the room would make one think that just informed everyone that a dear friend had passed. There was not a single person in that room with a smile on their face. One of the students got up and ushered me into their apartment while the others returned to chatting. Once we entered his room, he informed me that complex H is one of the most dangerous places to live due to its proximity to the power-plant and its distance from the police station. Criminals regularly try peddling illegal goods in the area and there are frequent beatings in the area. Things are generally not too bad during the day, but things quickly deteriorate in the early hours of the morning. It is not uncommon to be awoken by a scream or to witness the aftermath of a stabbing or beating. I was told that most of the residents did not know how rough the area was when they first signed the rental agreement for the apartment. To them it looked like a perfectly fine place to live, though they would soon find out how bad things can get. Whether it be through being told by their neighbors, or through the people they encounter during a walk around the neighborhood. I proceeded to inquire as to why he had not moved out of the complex. His answer was one I had heard before, all of the decent areas to live were occupied. He also went on to explain that the size of the rooms in the complex was large enough to where he wasn’t willing to downgrade. He specifically stated that he would rather not be living in a share house as he had stayed at one for a month before moving into complex H. Seeing as the sun was setting, I thanked him for his time and proceeded to leave for the final complex in my journey.

It was a while before I finally made it to complex D, though the change of scenery was definitely a welcome change. The contrast between the urban environment next to the beach was strangely enough to put me at ease. I started at the first floor of the complex and knocked on the door, a couple greeted me and invited me after I introduced myself and stated my purpose. The apartment was well furnished, and its residents happy. It was here where I decided to ask the question that my entire journey so far had centered around. What is it like living in complex D? The residents responded that this was an incredibly nice place to live, being a little bit out of the way of the city meant that it was relatively peaceful compared to other complexes. The only complaint that they had was that sometimes that would be the occasional squatter underneath the complex. Thankfully, the complex was located close to the police station as well as being well monitored by CCTV. They explained to me that residents of the complex rarely had to worry about crimes being committed due to these two factors. They invited me to the balcony to where I was greeted with a nice view of the ocean at night. To conclude this report, there are many different places in the city to live. If you are willing to pay extra to secure a house in the certain area, it is always better to ask existing residents of the area about what it is like to live in the area. I did not venture into the city for this report, as I will be going into the rest of the apartment complexes in next week's report. I hope to see you next week when we cover life in the shopping district, followed by a special report on the estates of Karakura. Until then, Masaru out.

#2 - Interview. It’s important to have well-rounded questions. Create your own interview with ten questions or more. And answer them yourself.

Interviewer:

"I am currently standing outside of the apartment complex I, and around me there are multiple police vehicles as well as ambulances. The police are not allowing anyone into the building at this time. Thankfully, I have a witness who can tell me what led up to all this chaos. So, can you tell me what were you doing here and what led to all the police showing up?

Witness:
I was just trying to get home. I came here from going bowling with a couple of my friends when I saw this group of individuals who appeared to be holding katanas run into the building!"

Interviewer:
"I'm sorry you came home to this. How did you feel after seeing them run into the building?"

Witness:
"My heart dropped. I just wanted to go home and relax. I was shaking. I still am now but honestly, I just never want to experience something like this again."

Interviewer:
"You must have been scared, as that really does sound terrifying! Just to get a clearer picture of what happened, were you inside the building when you saw them run in?"

Witness:
"I was just standing outside the building as I watched them run in, and I was shocked and afraid. My friends told me we should wait outside and call the cops. However right as they ran in, about a minute or so passed before all of these officers came and rushed into the building."

Interviewer:
"That was smart of you to stay out of there. Are you able to estimate how many armed individuals you saw run into the building? Witness: I think I saw around 10 or so, there were a lot of them. Only a few of them had weapons though from what I can remember."

Interviewer:
By any chance did you happen to see if the individuals were wearing out of the ordinary? For instance any pins or matching clothing or masks?

Witness:
"
Honestly it all happened so fast I didn’t pay much attention to what they wore, but I think they just had regular casual clothes on. I remember they all had masks on though I wasn’t able to see any of their faces. As for their clothing I remember towards the end of it as I saw an officer taking a man out he was wearing some black jeans and a black jacket."

Interviewer:
"Oh, okay I see, and also I would like to ask, did you hear or witness a fight going down between the officers and the masked individuals who were in the building?"

Witness:
Yes I did in fact this whole ordeal lasted around an hour if not more, the cops were yelling for the criminals to get out of the apartment they were in. Lots of bystanders stood around the building and some people from the floor underneath where the cops and the criminals came down and told us they broke the door down. I could hear yelling and arguing from the cops as well as the criminals."

Interviewer:
"That sounds intense, did you hear any gunshots fired from the officers?"

Witness:
"Yes. I heard many actually, although I didn’t see what happened I could hear them shooting from inside the building. I heard lots of screaming as well. I assume the people with weapons were attempting to attack the officers instead of letting themselves get arrested."

Interviewer:
"I'm so sorry you had to come home to this. It sounds incredibly stressful and chaotic. How would you say you felt after you saw the criminals walking out in handcuffs along with some of them getting taken to the ambulance?"

Witness:
"Honestly all I can say I felt from seeing them getting taken away and taken to the hospital was relief. I was finally able to feel safe again. Interviewer: I'm glad to hear that, and I am glad to have seen that myself as I came over here. Is there anything you would like to say to the public to send a message?"

Witness:
"
Yes actually, to anyone who ever finds themselves in a situation like I was in, just make sure to keep your distance and stay safe. Also I just want to say that everyone should stay out of trouble and just avoid committing crime. It's not worth it and I'm thankful for our police that responded to this who were able to arrest the armed individuals and let me get back home safe. Interviewer: I agree, I'm very thankful for the citizens like you who think that way. Also, I'm glad to see you weren't injured during this, did you happen to see any other bystanders get injured?"

Witness:
"No thankfully, I can’t say I saw anyone who was just standing by watching get hurt. I think the only people who got injured during this were the criminals who ended up starting this massive conflict with the police."

Interviewer:
"That's good to hear! I'm glad you and your friends are safe. Thank you for your time and for sharing with me what you saw go down here. Now you can go and have some peace and quiet with your friends and remember to stay safe."

Last edited:

Aania

Level 166
Administrator
News Lead
Aania
Aania
Omega+
DENIED

We appreciate the time and effort you put into applying - however you have not been accepted this time around.
Please DM Aania#0117 if you have any queries about the application

You are free to re-apply at any point in time!

Users who are viewing this thread