───────────────────────────────────────
c.png

┏━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━┓
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section
┗━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━┛

IN-GAME NAME (IGN): eccedentsiast

DISCORD NAME & TAG: Arkkwolf#5260

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: Pacific Standard Time (PST)

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS: None

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: Yes

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

My activity on the server is what I would describe as very active. I am a student so I will have school duties however outside of that I am on most times. Weekdays I am available 4:30pm (PST) - 10:00pm (PST) and weekends are pretty open books. Of course we all have emergencies or matters that come about so please keep that in mind! I've been playing SRP for around two years now, and have been very active throughout my time. The community and the uniqueness of the experience is what keeps me coming back.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?: Shintoism Maiden

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

Before applying I had no previous knowledge on Shintoism. However I have interacted with shrine staff on various occasions and have been told a bit about it. Over the time I have spent writing the application I have learned quite a bit from research of the religion. I find it very beautiful and want to roleplay it as accurately as possible hence the pre research. I am very willing to learn more about this fascinating religion and am prepared to spend the time and effort it will require in order to do so. I myself have always really enjoyed the beauty of nature and find I can connect most with myself through being secluded in a natural area. I knew Japan had various religions, but Shintoism is so unique, it doesn't have a set book of morals and principals. Its all about connecting with the natural world, our assessors, and your inner self. I actually really enjoyed researching the topic and even if my application isn't accepted I want to learn more about the religion because genuinely it has peaked my interest.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

While I do believe there are many applicants who may have wonderful applications they put time and effort into, I believe I stand out for this role more because of the effort, detail, and time I am willing to put into this role. The role is not for everyone, many people enjoy roleplaying with many people in settings with a lot of action. Therefore some might consider this role to be not fun to roleplay with. However I myself enjoy the aspect of roleplay where you truly get into character. You don’t need interaction from other players to have a good time. I seek character development as I’ve always been one to seek a story. While doing research for this application I found I actually enjoy the ideals of Shintoism quite a lot. I will spend the time it will take to accurately portray the role because this is something I am passionate about both oocly and icly. As well as, I am a hardworking individual. I strive for my personal best always because if we’re stuck in our comfort zone we cannot grow! I'm also very used to roles where I am required to work under time constraints and meeting deadlines. I will be able to fulfill the requirements of this role and hope to do my part of make the roleplaying experience better for everyone including myself. Even though I know this roleplay is more relaxed I still want to take it seriously, because again I want to be able to portray my character and Shintoism in a engaging and exciting way for our community. And lastly of course, I'm willing to put my passion into all the roleplay I do. In my opinion being passionate is the number one characteristic someone should have when going into anything. Whether that be a new hobby, a sport, school, or research and learning.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

I do acknowledge that I will have to attend mandatory training to be taught about Shintoism and procedures. I am looking forward to being able to interact with people who also find the religion interesting enough to roleplay with and put time and effort into playing a character. I am again very active on SRP and will almost always be able to make these training sessions and I will do so with a good attitude and excitement.

┏━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━┓
In-Character (IC) Section
┗━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━┛

her.jpg

┏━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━┓
SECTION 1: Character Details
┗━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━┛

CHARACTERS FULL NAME: Hanae Tominaga 花恵 富永

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss): Miss Tominaga

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80): 28 years old

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS: Unpartnered

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY: Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER: (030)-022-9546

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

“My motivation? Well ever since I was young I’ve felt very close to nature. Its presence is where I truly feel at home and one with myself. I was never one for bustling cities or crowded spaces. It's just not how I grew up. I found Shintoism at a relatively lost time in my life. When I wasn’t sure what to do with myself and my passions were all misaligned. It's been a part of my life for some time now and I think it's time for another step in my life. In a time I felt so conflicted it brought me peace. I want to dedicate my life to this beautiful movement. It is a way to thank the gods for leading me down the path I now walk. A way to honor and truly be one with myself and with the world around me. I hope guide those who seem lost as I did, to a faith that can save and give purpose. The youth deserve a fighting chance and to feel true passion and happiness in the life they lead. Another reason I want to apply is to get the chance to expand my knowledge. Shintoism has no set book and I think its beautiful because everyone has their own unique take on it. I was to hear all these sides of the movement so I may better understand it myself and increase my knowledge. I believe there will always be something new someone has interpreted and I find it fascinating. I want to know what the people of this shrine have to offer and perhaps share some of my own knowledge. That way we can decide for ourselves what Shintoism truly means.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

“I know a bit about our Shinsei and Seinaru Monastery. Although I hope to learn more in the future. It was constructed in 744, though it used to be used for Buddhist teachings it now is a fully Shintoism faith monastery. It was constructed in the mountains, because such a isolated natural place was strongly spiritual. A tragedy happened in 2004, a great fire swept the monastery burning everything but one building, which was said to be closest to where the Kami had settled. It was said the last priest at the time felt the citizens of Karakura had become too impure and indulged too much in their own lifestyles, that he was the one who started the fire. After the great fire it was no longer a place fit for a god's presence and many Kami left the shrine. Apart from one who began to create chaos upon Karakura in sorrow and loneliness for being the last Kami. One of the reasons Karakura has so many terrible storms. I wonder if there is a way to appease the Kami, perhaps in restoring what was lost, the Kami that fled long ago may return and once again reunite with the sorrowful Kami."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

Dear Monastery Lead,

It is a pleasure to be able to write to you. I am very honored you would take the time to regard my letter. I hope this letter finds you in good health. My name is Hanae Tominaga, originally from the small village of Shirakawa-go, however I now reside in Karakura. As I have been made aware, you are the current overseer of the Shinsei and Seinaru Monastery. I would like to firstly thank you for preserving our faith. In recent years it seems many consider Shintoism a way of the past. A way that does not apply to the growing advancements of mankind. I wish to erase such a falsehood from the thoughts of our citizens here in Karakura. One option I might have had was to go around with my current knowledge, preaching of our beliefs, however I think it would be far more effective to be in a place dedicated to such practices. Hence why I am writing to you. I want to honor the faith that at numerous points in my life saved me. I feel the best way I can accomplish this is by becoming a part of your faction. A maiden. I had originally gone to college for psychology studies but found it paled in comparison to my passion for Shinto. And therefore I changed my major to studies of religion, specifically focused on Shintoism. I am new to this city, but have been looking for a shrine to care for for some time now. I believe the Shinsei and Seinaru Monastery is the right place for me. Once again thank you for taking the time to consider my letter.

Humblest Regards,
Hanae Tominaga

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

Hanae Tominaga was born on the summer evening of August 6th 1994. In the small village of Shirakawa-go, Japan. A place not many knew of but offered a humble community of rice farmers refuge for their ever expanding lifestyle. She was the daughter of two hardworking rice farmer parents. Her father, Hideaki spent many years laboring, his parents and their parents and many generations of Hanae’s family had held the farm. It was the duty, the honor of the family to have the farm passed onto you. Hanae’s mother, Junri, was much like her father. A hard worker who above all else loved her family dearly. Though Hanae never truly got to know her mother. Junri died in childbirth of Hanae, that summer night of August 6th 1994. This left Hideaki heart broken and to a point bitter for this second child. The first child was a strappy and serious male named Rōnin. Rōnin was seven years older than that of Hanae and so he saw her as little more than a pest. Despite these setbacks of early life Hanae remained positive in the place she had been given. Deeply respecting the ways of farm life and the nature which allowed them to thrive off of its nutrients. Her father also brought her up on the belief that they were given these gifts because the land had blessed them. They should care for it as it cared for them. And so Hanae did just that. Though she did indeed love their home and the craft of rice farming she felt rather unsure if she wanted to continue the path those of her family had been down before her.

There are many instances where the life she lead was challenging. Famine in the area was common if the winters had brought hard soil and shriveled crops. The handwork could amount to nothing if natural changed its course. So Hanae often clasped her hands in prayer, even if not to a specific god for a specific religion. Praying for a blessing of a bountiful harvest. She was thankful for the ground that helped her family and the farm thrive. Thankful for the rain that came to shower their rice and the sun which gave it life to spring up. Even in the hardships she found peace of mind in knowing the world was balanced and the air she was breathing would continue to provide her life. Even with the handwork, she never took for granite that chance for studies. She knew her mother had not had the same opportunities she had. Her mother had also been a rice farmer but her family was far poorer. So with everything she had, as she did with everything she was passionate about, she threw her whole force at school. For she should prove that even a rice farmer could be something great in this world.

When she graduated from the small highschool a town over from her own, she sought studies in psychology. As she had been interested in the human mind and its choices when faced with decisions. She spent two years going through these courses. But yet again she seemed lost. She had no passion for this nor did she wish to return to the rice farmers' way. However something had always stuck with her through her years, the beliefs that had been seeded into her. Of the partnership of mankind and of nature. Of the deep respects for what it gave to those who so wished it. To thrive in places where it was thought impossible. And she searched for something similar, to bring her the spark of passion she lacked. To save her from the lost feeling that had engulfed her life.

Finally she found it. In a Shintoism Shrine that resided on the outskirts of Nagasaki, where she had been studying for college. Hanae entered those gates and in talking with the shrine caretakers, she found a new and humbling faith, Shintoism. It was almost like she had found a new purpose, one she was finally for the first time passionate about. On days she was not busy with college work she would visit the shrine, infatuated with the practices, the simplicity and overall beauty of Shintoism. After about half a year of visiting the shrine she completely changed her major in college to religious studies. Mainly focused on Shintoism. She thanked the Kami’s for showing her the path that she believed she was led to by fate. And now Hanae continues to learn more of what Shintoism has to offer. She found even in such simplicity, the peace and practices are complex in their meanings. Hanae began to travel to different shrines after her studies, learning of all the different aspects of Shintoism and the unique and passionate people who were just like herself. She grew up in the free air of nature and there she will always be at home.

┏━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━┓
SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details
┗━°⌜ 赤い糸 ⌟°━┛

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

"Priests and Maidens share many similar tasks. They are both responsible for the upkeep and overall care of the monastery. Whether it be gardening, structure upkeep, or the overall calm nature of the shrine. They both also share their wisdom on Shintoism as a whole and give guided tours to those who visit the shrine. This task is especially important to keeping Shintoism alive in the modern world. Many people have forgotten the hold traditions. Where their duties differ is typically maidens will be in charge of the shop where they sell various trinkets and charms meant to ward off evil spirits and bring good luck to visitors. Maidens may also perform ritual dances from time to time, which are typically done with a Kaurea Suzu. Priests on the other hand often preform Kami offering rituals in which they take the offerings of visitors in order to ensure their Kami is powerful."

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

"The steps one must take at the purification trough before entering the shrine are quite simple but very important to do correctly for cleansing. The water supplying the trough (Temizuya) is natural spring water from the monastery, said to be pure. When cleansing yourself you must take one of the ladles sat in the Temizuya and fill it with the spring water. After which you will pour the spring water upon your right hand first and then repeat slowly with the left hand. After both hands have been cleansed, you will cleanse your mouth, the spring water, though in doing so do not draw up the ladle to your mouth and directly touch the rim of it. Instead you must cup both your cleansed hands, dip it in the ladle and drink directly from your cupped hands alone. Do not swallow the water, instead you will sip it out in your palm, emptying it away from the clean spring water. Once you have finished you are to place the ladle back into the spring water for cleansing. If this sacred practice is done anyway else it would be considered uncleanly and unpureed."

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

"Offerings to a Kami must be performed correctly as it is a very sacred practice. Several different items can be considered offerings such as yen, rice, salt, fruits, and other food items. In order to present an offering to a Kami, you must first ring the bell located in the shrine (if such a bell is present), this is to let the god know you are presenting an offering to them. You then place the offering in the offering box with care. After which you would bow at a 90 degree angle, clasping your hands together twice and begin a prayer. These prayers should consist of giving thanks to the Kami and wishing for blessings in return. Offerings are important for the overall strength and appeasement of Kami that reside in a shrine. Its crustal to remain respectful during any interaction with a Kami or visitor who is giving the offering as they are what hold the sacred practices together and balanced. Each one plays apart in this natural ceremony."

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

"To perform a tea ceremony ritual, you must first bow to the guest. You will offer them tea and if they accept you will show them into the tea house. You will bow once more before going to make the tea. Most often these teas will consist of Chabako, Hakobi, and Obon tea. To make tea, you would gather the specific herbs and tea leaves required for the type of tea and let it simmer in hot water. Before serving you should make sure it is not too hot. When you have finished the process of making the tea, you will return to your guest and greet them. After which the tea will be placed in front of the guest being served, with the tea bowl facing you. When pouring the tea, you must place it on your left palm and turn the bowl, with your right hand, so it is no longer facing you. You will pour slowly, allowing your guest to taste the tea. Adding more tea leaves to strengthen the tea if it is not to their liking. It is important to refill the tea once it has become empty as a form of respect and acknowledgement for your guest. Once the guest has finished their tea you will take the tea bowl back to its rightful place and bow to the guest. If they were interested I would also share some of the history of the shrine as well as offer a tour at the end if they seemed inclined to learn more."

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

"Tamagushi is a form of Shinto offering made from a sakaki tree branch. This branch should be decorated with lines of washi paper, cotton, or silk. Tamagushi offerings are most often used at weddings or funerals as a sign of goodwill. Though these offerings can also be used to appease Kami’s at Shinto shrines."

"Ofuda is in short terms a talisman or a amulet. Usually it is inscribed with the name of a Kami. This talisman can be formed by sheets of paper, cloth, or even wood. The talismans are kept most often in homes, although if required people may carry them. These talismans are said to be embodiments of the power of a Kami. Blessed in such a way they can be used for various acts such as safety of a sort, protection from evil, and some to find love."

"Kagura Suzu is Shintoism's instrumental aspect. Encompassing the songs, dance rituals, and instruments. The Kagura Suzu is an instrument with twelve bells which maidens are required to play during sacred ritual dances."

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

Hanae would most likely worship the rice kami Inari Ōkami. This is because her origins are very important to her. She lived for many years on a rice farm with her family and appreciates the wonderful life she was given while there. Oftentimes she found herself praying for good soil and growth in famine months to a god, although she was not aware of Shintoism at the time.

Last edited:

NoZinth

Level 195
Senior Admin
Employee Lead
Gang Lead
NoZinth
NoZinth
Omega+
Reviewed

Thank you for taking the time to apply for the Shrine Faction!
after careful review We've decided to ACCEPT your application!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please send me a DM on discord @ oZinth#0001 to get started!

Users who are viewing this thread