Level 0
SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY APPLICATION
───────────────────────────────────────
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
EmpTypeRedline

DISCORD NAME & TAG: Emp#4242

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: PST

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS: None to mention!

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: Sure do!

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I’ve been quite active, having joined the server actively around a month ago. My main account is on the KPD where I’ve been very active, and believe I could be quite active for the Shrine Faction as well! When I get into a role I tend to reallyy dive into it. I get one daily and for lengthy hours, additionally I'm active at very late hours sometimes, the hours where I believe having active members in is important.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shrine Maiden!

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I’d say I know quite a bit about Shintoism! As a student planning to go into history, Japan is of particular interest to me. This interest bleeds into Shinto, which is deeply entwined with Japanese beliefs, philosophy, and history. I’ve also done a good bit of research into Shinto, from the tragedy of Izanami and Izanagi to the legend of Susanoo and his eventual banishment from the heavens at the hands of Amaterasu. I like to look into the role of a character I’m going to play outside of just the server, so although my understanding isn’t nearly as vast as somewhat who actively partake in Shinto practices, I’d say I know a good bit more than average, finding interest in how Shinto defies the idea of religion many have. It is more of a lifestyle, culture, and belief in the supernatural rather than all-powerful beings which we must follow the laws of. Additionally, I am more than willing to learn more about it! It’s one of the reasons I’m applying for this position after all.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?:
I’m a very experienced Minecraft roleplayer and writer of five years now, I’ve been on many different servers but most tend to be fantasy oriented! This has led me to have a special in the magical, the mystical, and the overall extraordinary aspects of roleplay. I believe this experience is what makes me stand out, Shrine is by far the most fantastical element of SRP, and having been Event Team back on Fantasy Roleplay and having played almost only on fantasy servers this is sort of my forte! I have a good understanding of Japanese history, fantasy writing, and creating fun characters, thus I believe I stand out a good bit!

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?: Mhmm!
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1:
Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME: Sayuri Ajisai

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss): Miss

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80): 21

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS: Unmarried

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY: Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER: N/A

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
I come from a family of faith and tradition, one who has served the better interest and ideals of the Greater Kami for generations. I have a grand interest in preserving our ancient traditions since before Shinto was even a term thought of for it. It is custom for my family that when a daughter comes of age, she is to be sent on a path of cleanliness and purity, the main vestment of this being the role of a Miko. After researching, I have determined the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery to be my shrine of choice, one where I hope to further my path and to aid others in furthering their own.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
I’ve read much of Karakura’s history, and by that extent the history of Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. From the foreigners who came to corrupt our lands to the Oda lord who tried to subjugate it and ban traditional use of weaponry. Throughout all the many events and wars the island has been through however, its people have stayed resilient, at least until now. I know that the Monastery, even if reconstructed some four hundred years ago, has in spirit and presence looked over much of this change with dismay. I’ve read of the corruption that has ensued on the island, and believe through my presence at the Monastery, I can help toward proper guidance in our ancient ways.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

Greetings, Kannushi of the Shinsei Seinaru Monestary I am Ajisai Sayuri, a woman of faith and of utmost respect for the practice of your shrine. I seek entrance and board in your hallowed grounds playing the role of a Miko. In a world constantly moving forward I believe it incredibly important to keep up sacred roles like these. The Ajisai family I come from pays great respect to our nation’s shared history and veneration of the Kami. Many of my ancestors have been life-long Miko, living and dying on their shrines alike. I hope to follow in these ancient footsteps, to bring my respect and skills to your monastery. With the growing foreign population of Karakura I believe the need for more Miko, as well as more traditional ones. I believe I would be a valuable addition to your roster and look forward to our eventual meeting.

My best regards,

[!] Written in quite elaborate calligraphy is a signed name. [!]

Sayuri Ajisai.

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
The Ajisai ‘clan’ is one not known by many outside their home village. Nestled in Southern Japan around the foot of a small mountain is the township of Tatsokomori, although not a prominent town with just a small community, it's a historical site. Sitting over the rest of the town is a large manor hundreds of years old, the ancestral home of the Ajisai. Having had lordship over Tatsokomori the family still acts as a somewhat ‘governing’ force for the people, their history dating back to the Kamakura Period. For it was during this period that the clan originally drew power, one Saitsu Aijisai gaining the noble position of samurai beneath a local warlord, one extremely loyal to the emperor. This loyalty was not a forgotten trait, as it defined much of the clan as they stood by their beliefs as well as the imperial line of Amaterasu. The clan was a strict one, but good to their people, protecting them through the ages and generations, that was until the Meiji Restoration. This ‘restoration’ of Japan was sacrilege to the clan, one who had for hundreds of years lived by the sword and Bushido. They still claimed their title as rightfully there’s, even after the abolishment of the samurai class. However, this crucible of ideologies came to a burning climax as the Aijisai Clan raised their blades in support of the Satsuma Rebellion and swore loyalty to Saigō Takamori. This was a true battle fought to the last, one where the surrender was not an option. One such Ajisai, Miyo Ajisai, is said by the clan to have been one of the final 500 samurai who fought to the last in the siege of Shiroyama castle, the validity of such up for question. This ‘glorious’ battle is one talked about commonly in the clan. However moving forward it was not the same, without their old role still around, many resorted to a bath of priesthood or shrine maiden ship, a way to believe in something and have continued purpose. Still, there is a resentment for much change in the family, this showing through the often refusing to allow foreigners to move into Tatsokomori.

The history of the Ajisai is vast indeed, but this is the story of a particular girl, one not born into the days of clashing warlords vying for the role of Shogun, or some few samurai fighting to the death. This is the day of smartphones, gacha games, tourism, fast food, and convenience. However, in this sea of new, Sayuri stands out as a pillar of the old. She often spent her days at their small local shrine, communing with Kami she couldn’t see and praying to the venerable sun, Amaratasu, that provided light for the peoples of Japan. Sayuri was smart, incredibly so, passing her schoolwork and exams from a young age with ease, many of her peers, even her parents expected the girl to go to a top university and become a big-name businesswoman, however, this was not the path she went down. She thought such practices beneath her, almost an extremist of her family’s ideals. Instead, she would take the path, of a shrine maiden, for there were many business people in Japan, but there was a growing lack of people dedicated to the Kami and Shinto. With the growing amount of Contemporary Miko, and people treating such a position as a side job, Sayrui made this choice.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

They have quite many duties, the biggest of which is the maintenance of the shrine they operate as well as the veneration of the Kami. Where visitors may stop in every now and then to provide an offering or say a prayer, Miko and Priests are nigh always at the monastery. Another duty of theirs is to help guide those who come to the shrine, from teaching them how to properly respect the Kami to giving them a lesson of myth or history, they are living books meant to pass on vast amounts of information. Miko have a specific duty of ritual dances. Priests typically head most rituals, including martial ones. Miko historically have been ‘oracles’ or shamans, and although this role is far less of a modern reality, aspects of this bleed through in acts like fortune telling.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
First one must approach the Cleansing Trough, taking a special ladle. With this ladle, you must first wash your left hand with fresh water, and then secondly your right hand. After both have been cleansed you would pour the water into your palms, sipping it. Instead of swallowing it, having fully cleansed oneself, you would spit it out not in the basin before laying the ladle to rest. This is a particularly ancient tradition for Shinto, Izanagi having cleansed himself of Yomi’s filth in the waters for the first time.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
One of the main, if not THE main ideal next to purity in Shinto and Japanese culture is respect. Respect for Kami is essential to the act of thriving alongside them and avoiding natural disasters and punishment. To make an offering, or more appropriately a prayer, you must first enter into the Torii Gate, the barrier between the realm we see, and the realm unseen. One must bow down to the gate, afterward being able to walk through, although not through the exact center, instead to the left or right to avoid the center, a sacred path reserved for the Kami the shrine is venerated to. After this alongside a ritual cleanse at the trough, one can enter the shriner and go to the offering box. Typically there will be a slot to put in coins if that is your offering, however, is not limited to such. Offerings range from food to sake, to yen, to charms, anything that has value can be used as an offering truly. Next to the offering place is a large braided rope, one you must shake. By shaking this you announce your presence to the Kami, heading them to your call to watch your prayer and judge it. After this you bow twice to the shrine, straightening yourself as you clap quite loudly. One would clap a total of two times, on the second time lowering your hands alongside your head where you speak your prayer. This prayer can be spoken aloud or silently under one’s breath, but whatever it is will be heard by the Kami. After this, you bow once more to complete your offering.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
When a visitor enters the monastery you may greet them respectfully and offer them tea, if they accept you’d bring them along to the tea house. In the tea house as is customary the guests would take off their shoes. After offering another bow to the guests you would prepare the tea, traditionally a green matcha tea, although this can very. Sometimes served alongside small treats like bean-paste cake. The tea is in a small stone cup or bowl, and once prepared is offered to the guest. After they are satisfied a final bow is given to the Shrine Staff before the cup and kettle used are cleaned out.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Tamagushi are ceremonial objects created by decorating a Sakaki Tree Branch with silk, cotton, or most commonly Washi Paper. This sacred item is presented before the Kami at various rituals like weddings or funerals. Tracing its origin alongside many other sacred Shinto items from the luring out of Amaterasu from her exile in a cave when there they decorated a Sakaki Tree in paper and wrapped it in sacred rope.

Ofuda traces its origin from both Shintosim and Buddhism, these being slips of paper meant to hold a supernatural power. These talismans are stamped by shrines, often having various purposes from protection against evil spirits to repelling curses or terrible misfortune. Back when Shinto Shrines were believed heavily for guidance these were highly sought after, as they were said to fix terrible problems that people could come across.

Perhaps the most iconic tool of a Miko is that of a Kagura Suzu, a one-handed instrument ornately decorated with shining gold colors. It is reminiscent of a branch in appearance and features twelve bells. These twelve bells are part of a ritualistic dance that Miko perform known aptly as the Kagura Dance.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Sayuri holds a very high reverence for the Kami which shines brightest of all, Amaterasu. Believing her to be a shining example of excellence that all should strive for, this is who she most tries to follow in the example of. Waking up every morning at the crack of dawn Sayuri watches the sun paint the horizon in radiance, a personal ritual of worship for the woman. Additionally, as her roots are deeply militaristic, she holds Hachiman in particularly high regard, as the divine protector of Japan.​

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 85
Shrine Lead
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a maiden, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread