EnglandLobo

DISCORD NAME & TAG:

Discord Name: Emma (Real)

Tag: verified_american.

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:

US, Central Time (CST).

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:

2017: 2 week ban for Cosmetic Abuse.

2018: Permanent ban for Staff Disrespect [appealed 2020].

2022: 1 week ban for ERP [I jokingly groped my male friend IC’ly, but I’ve since made sure to write mature actions and not cross that boundary].

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:

Yes, and I am very open to speaking in calls.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

At the moment, now that high school has ended and I've graduated, I have been on daily for roughly 8 hours a day (more or less), but my activity may dip after summer (sometime in August). Regardless, I’ll still be as active as I can be after summer.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:

Priest.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

I did my best to research:
I understand the basic belief of everything, living or not, having a spirit called kami and that upon death, everybody’s kami becomes a spirit. The kami are worshiped as gods. I also know the importance and emphasis put on nature, animals, and life. Essentially, there are the kami, the kind gods/spirits of Shintoism, oni, the monsters, and yokai, which are unkind gods/spirits. Kami are capable of doing either harm or good, and the humans' offerings dissuade them from causing such harm while also persuading them to do good. Shintoism also covers purity, with some creatures, like humans, being innately pure, and others being impure. Actions like bathing and similar rituals reflect purity. Balance, or the natural law of the kami, is called kannagara, and harmony, called wa, is something not to be disturbed. In Shintoism, your actions speak louder with words, with rituals being strongly important to the religion and its culture. Every act has its own symbolism behind it, whether it be to worship the kami, to purify yourself, to follow the kannagara, or to not only protect the wa but contribute to it. One form of ritual is the kagura, a dance usually done at events and festivals in order to entertain and pacify the kami. It consists of music and dancing, and there are many forms of kagura to perform.

While my knowledge is limited to fundamentals, I am VERY willing to learn about the religion and am not only prepared to but look forward to the roleplay associated with it.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

Aside from the amount of time I personally have spent at the shrine, usually for my dojo-related needs as a regular P2L’er, and the friendships I have from within the priest and maiden roster, my longtime roleplay experience and time on SchoolRP easily separates me from the vast majority of not only the current applicants, but many past ones, as well. Additionally, I exhibit a largely above average amount of time spent on the server per day and am applying to be a priest due to the ambitions I have to be involved in the official lore of SchoolRP. Every single interaction I've had with a spirit, dangerous or not, has left a powerful impact on me that I feel as though I need to explore far more inclusively than as a bystander, as well as the important lore scenarios priests are in day-to-day.

My roleplay experience consists of: SchoolRP being the first roleplay server I have ever joined in late-2016 when I got a laptop for my birthday in December. That was the start of a long list of roleplays I joined. I’ve also roleplayed on a Percy Jackson server previously known as Wizry, was a Lore on a Tokyo Ghoul server called Tokyo Ghoul:re [Lores in the Tokyo Ghoul server also managed events], and server-hopped a large variety of Discord roleplay server with a friend group of mine. My experience in roleplay has been consistent over time in each and every server up until the day they either ended or I quit. Now, I exclusively roleplay on SchoolRP.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

Considering the abnormally great amount of free time I have and my overwhelming interest in the roleplay behind SchoolRP’s religion roleplay, YES I acknowledge I am to attend mandatory trainings.

1692914515081.png

In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

1692914604991.png
* Pictured above: Sho wearing the family kimono he designed

CHARACTER'S FULL NAME:

Sho Hirobayashi

CHARACTER'S TITLE:

Mr.

CHARACTER'S AGE:

CHARACTER'S MARITAL STATUS:

Single

CHARACTER'S NATIONALITY:

Japanese

CHARACTER'S PHONE-NUMBER:

(030) 389-0406

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

Growing up, the orphanage I was raised in followed Buddhist beliefs. I lived by these beliefs through trial and tribulation; continuously questioning the correctness of the Buddhist gods across my young years, I ended high school still a strong Buddhist. However, in senior year, I moved to Karakura, a city dominantly Shintoist, basically forcing me to spend time at the Shinto shrine for its dojo and onsen bathhouse. One visit, however, I met a spirit named Mi-Cha. My friends and I were visiting together, yet I was the only one who stayed, engaging in a long-lasting discussion about the nature of spirits. What they are, can do, and the power of “Apples of Eden” were brought up, but I shrugged it off. The most memorable moment of that night was when Mi-Cha explained why she was able to make herself apparent to humans. She told me that she had been blessed by kami, and I asked “What are kami?” She responded, saying, “They are your world’s gods.” Being a Buddhist visiting a Shinto shrine, I asked which religion, and Mi-Cha blatantly told me that the Shinto gods were the right ones. Who am I to question a seemingly powerful creature that I have witnessed teleport, shapeshift, and burn in the presence of omamori? According to Mi-Cha, every religion has been based on the same gods of Shintoism, but each with their own unique way to worship them. Buddhism isn’t Shintoism, we worship them differently. Chanting mantras isn’t the same as appeasing the kami. I want to praise and follow my gods the correct way, and I want to learn more about Mi-Cha and the kami. I need to talk with them more.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery was once a Buddhist shrine founded in 744 that soon after adapted to Shintoism. It was burnt down in 1176 due to a rebellion led by the priests and rebuilt in 1228. It stood strong for another 350 years until its second destruction as a warning made by the Japanese warlords of its time, causing riots to break out across Karakura. Eventually, it was rebuilt into the mountains as a protective structure for the kami. Gods move in and out of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery; however, one named Chiharu Yamatsumi is predominantly present. The shrine hosts many features welcoming to human visitors: an onsen bathhouse, gift shops, wedding venues, a dojo, and a teahouse that I have seen many take shelter in during poor weather and large gatherings.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:

Dear Shinsei Seinaru Monastery,
High school was a pothole in the road that had me stuck in horrible acts done as a child and religious beliefs not aligned with what I now follow as Shintoism, but it was this shrine that piqued my interest and pulled me out of the pothole. For that, I owe a gratitude that I write to you in hopes of paying off one day. However far that day may be, I can work my way to it over time as a priest. It is why I went to priest school and is also why I am still pursuing this career. Give me the chance to, and I can dedicate myself to the shrine that saved my life.
Sincerely,
Sho Hirobayashi

BACKSTORY:

Upon birth, Sho was handed to a Buddhist orphanage on Miyagi Island, Okinawa. There, a local dojo offered free lessons to the orphanage as an act of kindness to the disregarded children of the island. Due to the prevalence of martial arts in Okinawa--Miyagi especially--Sho grew up with a sense of competition in the sport. He excelled athletically, born taller than most and with a powerful body built up through calisthenics and discipline in his martial arts practice; Sho stayed in the dojo most of his life. The boy never got adopted, but it didn’t matter to him. Sho instead specialized with kenjutsu, buying himself a bokken and sword bag to match for the kendo training he endured. He dedicated his life to the art and had no problem with staying parentless. To seal the deal, Sho made up his own family name, Hirobayashi, abandoning whatever future he had as an orphan. Come senior year, Sho decided to leave Miyagi for a larger city in hopes of competing in kendo with a greater population. He came to Karakura only to see the entire city overrun with unorthodox violence. The only crowd he found with a common love for combat were gangsters, but he did not mind. Anything to get better at fighting. Whatever it took to master his swordsmanship, he would do, and to him, real fights with real weapons were nothing more than an opportunity he never had before.

A year of crime-riddled activity from Sho passed, and he was slowing down. He somehow made it through incident after incident, risking his life and escaping the police’s watch without a single cut or arrest. He led gangs, taught criminals how to fight, and killed, but made it out unscathed. It was a miracle to him. Sho retired soon after the realization that he should not have made it that far--that long--without losing a limb or damaging his record and searched for another passion than one that could get him killed. Fashion immediately crossed his mind with the lucrative tailoring scene in Karakura. His newfound work as a clothes designer for Misfits Corp. and Cartier Corp. created a new career for him, and he still found time to pursue his hobbies of kenjutsu by becoming a martial arts teacher at the shrine dojo. However, one day after a training he hosted at the dojo, his friends were lounging the shrine entrance for fun when a spirit named Mi-Cha appeared before them. He and the spirit spoke for a long time, far longer than his friends chose to stay at the shrine for, questioning its existence and abilities. Mi-Cha explained the concept of kami, describing them as “your world’s gods” of the Shinto religion. Sho, a born and raised Buddhist, wondered what Shintoists did differently for worship, and whether or not he was worshiping the gods correctly. Soon after, he converted to Shintoism, wanting to praise the gods the CORRECT way; however, something intrigued him far more than religion: spirits. He wanted to learn more about them, to talk to them more, to see them. His trajectory shifted from fashion to priesthood, and once his senior year finished he enrolled in a priest school in Kyoto. The certification he obtained marked him ready to come back to the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Priests and maidens are given an incredible amount of responsibility and will be assigned to do many things over time. Priests essentially connect followers of Shintoism to perform whatever Shrine Rituals must be initiated by the priest. They connect the kami to the citizens, a servant to their relationship. Priests also host events such as marriages, tarot card readings, festivals, and many others.

Maidens primarily run the shrine and its numerous activities, acting as maintenance and shopkeeper for the monastery. They work at the gift shop, serve in events, and clean the shrine to keep things in top shape for visitors. Like priests, maidens also have many other tasks that come with the job, however these are a few primary ones listed.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

Using a ladle held by your right hand, pour water over your left hand. After, put the ladle in your left and and repeat the process to cleanse your right hand. Once both hands are cleaned, fill the ladle once more and bring it up to your lips, slowly drinking but not swallowing the water to rinse and wash your mouth. Spit out the remaining water off to the side on the rocks. Finally, flip the ladle upside slowly to let the water inside clean the ladle back to its original purity and place it back where it initially was.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

First, place the yen offering in the offering box, called the saisen. However, if the offering is not yen or some currency, place it beside the box for the kami to collect. After, turn around and ring the bell placed behind you when facing the box to alert kami and call them to the offering. Once you ring the bell, clap twice and say a prayer to the kami. And, finally, bow once more as a sign of respect and complete the ritual.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

First, find where the guests are to sit on the tatami mattress floor and place a teacup in front of each of them, then put one down on an empty spot where you will sit after the ritual. Bow to the guests, then go back to the tea making station and fill the kettle with water to boil it. While the water is being boiled, each guest will purify themselves at the tsukubai by washing their hands and rinsing their mouths using the water in it. They will remove their footwear after and take a seat where each teacup is for them, with the last one to sit having to close the door. Once the water finishing boiling, add enough tea bags to the kettle, mix the tea with the tea whisker situated at the station. The tea should be prepared by now, so the host will take the kettle with their right hand and go from person to person, filling the guests' teacups before their own, then will put the kettle down at the station and sit with the guests to converse with them.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Tamagushi: an offering made from the branch of a Sasaki tree and covered with strips of washi paper, silk, or cotton. The offering made to the kami is given during weddings or funerals. It represents sincerity and an honest look into the holder's heart for the kami to bear witness to.

Ofuda: a talisman containing power granted by the kami as a good luck charm. They are made of wood, paper, metal, or cloth and are oftentimes hung onto homes and other buildings protectively. The talisman's purpose can vary, but most often is used for some form of protection or safety to those within wherever it marks.

Kagura Suzu: bells that are used in kagura dances. They come in sets of twelve, each connected by wiring. They are used to entertain the kami during the dances to earn their favor and catch their attention.

Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

Takemikazuchi
God of Thunder and Swords

Takemikazuchi's tales of conquest motivate Sho with every offering he makes toward the kami. It's as though he grants him the strength and motivation to live day-to-day. He initially took interest in Takemikazuchi because of his title as the sword god due to his own personal connections to swordsmanship and martial arts. The idea of a kami whose battles gave birth to entirely new forms of combat, such as sumo wrestling, sparked a love toward the kami Sho had never felt, something far more personal and individual.

1692914515081.png

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a priest, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread