Missunderstood

Level 110
otobii
otobii
Fundraiser+
IGN: wwish
DATE: April 04 2021

WHAT YOU NEED TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
Very simply, new player treatment. This isn't really a suggestion but feedback on how the community as a whole treats new players and how it shouldn't be encouraged at all. Joining a new server and starting at fresh is hard enough but being picked on about it makes it harder. Not to be offensive or to target anyone- the community's welcome to new players is simply just "Welcome to the server [IGN]!" in OOC and that's where it ends. As soon as you're a new player, people automatically assume you haven't read the rules and start treating you as if you're a nuisance. Even if a new player isn't aware of all the new rules, they shouldn't be judged upon that. In fact, when I was a new player which was around 3 years ago, no matter how much I read rules. I still had to learn new things- through experience. And thankfully, people were rather kind on educating me about these things. I fully understand not enjoying roleplaying with a new player especially since some times they're only here to joke around. BUT ignoring them when they clearly need help or calling them names just because they're new to the server? I frankly am not suggesting or implying that you should take it upon yourself and role play with them. What I'm implying is that they should be treated just like every other player. From what I've observed, people on the discord server of RPH are welcoming to new players but on the server itself- it's an entirely different story. To sum it all up, as I believe I rambled a bit, new players should be welcomed and treated appropriately. Mind you, SRP's activity does not rely on the old players but rather, the new ones.

MAIN POINTS:
-Encouragement of welcoming new players.
-Encouragement of treating new players like every other player.
-Encouragement of helping new players when asked.

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
IGN: wwish
DATE: April 04 2021

WHAT YOU NEED TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
Very simply, new player treatment. This isn't really a suggestion but feedback on how the community as a whole treats new players and how it shouldn't be encouraged at all. Joining a new server and starting at fresh is hard enough but being picked on about it makes it harder. Not to be offensive or to target anyone- the community's welcome to new players is simply just "Welcome to the server [IGN]!" in OOC and that's where it ends. As soon as you're a new player, people automatically assume you haven't read the rules and start treating you as if you're a nuisance. Even if a new player isn't aware of all the new rules, they shouldn't be judged upon that. In fact, when I was a new player which was around 3 years ago, no matter how much I read rules. I still had to learn new things- through experience. And thankfully, people were rather kind on educating me about these things. I fully understand not enjoying roleplaying with a new player especially since some times they're only here to joke around. BUT ignoring them when they clearly need help or calling them names just because they're new to the server? I frankly am not suggesting or implying that you should take it upon yourself and role play with them. What I'm implying is that they should be treated just like every other player. From what I've observed, people on the discord server of RPH are welcoming to new players but on the server itself- it's an entirely different story. To sum it all up, as I believe I rambled a bit, new players should be welcomed and treated appropriately. Mind you, SRP's activity does not rely on the old players but rather, the new ones.

MAIN POINTS:
-Encouragement of welcoming new players.
-Encouragement of treating new players like every other player.
-Encouragement of helping new players when asked.

I get where this is coming from and I thought about it too. Now I'm going to automatically call myself out and say that I am indeed a hypocrit on this subject. Yes, we've all been there before, freshly new to a server, nervous asf, and thankfully I started with a few friends that actually came up to me and roleplayed with me and it introduced me to the server and I was feeling more comfortable with the server even though I still had a lot to learn! (I wonder where those two guys are right about now).

Compared to now, everyone has the frustration of trying to help a new player because they always have an experience where they just don't listen or just completely difficult to teach in general which we try to brush off and think eventually a staff member will help them out or something. Of course, I, myself, have been in situations where I wanted to try and help them out but then it gets to the point where you either know they are possibly trolling, getting toxic, or just ignore what you're trying to tell them, resulting in the entire community not respecting new players. Trust me, been there, done that. I'm sure there was a time where new players weren't seen as an annoyance and people that everyone wants to help out but as time goes, it's become a trend where new players, or "greenies", however you would like to refer to them, are just seen as uneducated players.

Now the methods I feel some players are trying to take in order to make the community feel welcoming. Maybe they are going back a couple grades to give "greenies" or new players a different reputation. Some are even being as patient as possible in situations of teaching in order to help as best they can. There's only so much you can do for them and there's only so much you can do to encourage the community to actively help them. Some people just rather not stress about it and continue roleplaying as usual. I think it would be nice to see a better change for the whole community and possibly some better thought methods for everyone to follow in order to give the new players a server they can call fun, comfortable, and joyful!

In conclusion, yes we should revise how we tackle this common issue and tension between new players and oldtime players.

HATOLA

Level 270
HATOLA
HATOLA
Rich+
+1
As a teacher and a person in the school faculty, I agree with that and I believe it needs to change and fast
I don't see why it needs to be a part of the feedback, but welp maybe it will help somehow

Laur

Level 39
+1

No rudeness intended towards you, but I’m not sure how this can be necessarily implemented (As a rule) into SRP since not all players really enjoy answering new players’ questions. Yes, of course there will be players who like doing so, but this cannot really be added as a rule or official ‘factor’ of SRP that players will have to follow.

I 100% agree with this suggestion and players shouldn’t really be called “greenies” either. They should be treated like any other player on the server, and they somewhat get less roleplay experience due to their rank. Again, not sure how this will be accepted, but nonetheless, +1.

I have also used the term greenie, but I have limited it down to people who troll on the server. I’ve realized that it’s rude in a way and hypocritical to say that others should not use the nickname. Hopefully better and more polite behavior can be added into the community of SRP.

Last edited:

Missunderstood

Level 110
otobii
otobii
Fundraiser+
+1

No rudeness intended towards you, but I’m not sure how this can be necessarily implemented (As a rule) into SRP since not all players really enjoy answering new players’ questions. Yes, of course there will be players who like doing so, but this cannot really be added as a rule or official ‘factor’ of SRP that players will have to follow.

I 100% agree with this suggestion and players shouldn’t really be called “greenies” either. They should be treated like any other player on the server, and they somewhat get less roleplay experience due to their rank. Again, not sure how this will be accepted, but nonetheless, +1.
uhhh no it isnt really like a suggestion it's feedback, not something im trying to add a rule for but more of something i wish would be taking into more light and actually addressed

SimplyLK

Level 67
SimplyLK
SimplyLK
Rich+
+1
I agree with this thread. Although I will personally say I’m guilty of calling newer players greenies, however I say it as a description and not a insult. Although that’s true in there prospective may come off offensive so changing those habits is a good idea. Actually hold on I want to change the +1

+1000

Users who are viewing this thread