DISCORD NAME & TAG:
Name: Query
Tag: justaquery

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
British Summer Time (GMT+1)

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Indeed, prefer not to use it.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
Lacking as of recently; College has been taking up the majority of my attention. Although, with my college course coming to an end within the next few weeks, my activity on the server will return to an average of 3-8 hours per day. I’ve also recently been finding it hard to find a real reason to play the server. With such a vital time in my life (That unfortunately took heavy priority over SRP) coming to a close, I’ve been unable to keep a steady stream of motivation. I think that a role such as this, that almost plunges you directly into roleplay, can serve as not only something I can dedicate myself and my writing to, but also as a means to rekindle my once lost motivation.

Should anything come up unexpectedly that takes higher priority to me over SRP, I’ll always be sure to alert the faction lead with whatever details are necessary. These will always be OOC reasons, as I’ll truly invest the time I spend on the server to my role as a priest, should I be accepted.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
I am applying for the Shinto Priest role, or Shinkan.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Truthfully I have applied for Shinto Priest prior; unfortunately, my possession of the role came at a delicate time for me, fracturing my attention away from my Priest duties and SRP as a whole for some time. However, In preparation for this role, I did quite a substantial deep dive into the world of Shintoism, swiftly captivated by the beauty and history of the Shinto religion, strengthening my fondness for the Shinto faith. A friend of mine, who was already a pretty dedicated member of the faction, was a huge help in teaching me the various things about the religion during both the time leading up to my application, and my time spent as a priest (Thanks Tsuryoku!).

I believe it to be a huge shame that I was unable to showcase my research of the Shinto religion the first time around, prevented by real-life follies. I have participated in more than adequate revision of the belief, which has rekindled my enjoyment of the subject, which includes, docu-series and my independent assessment on the subject. With that said, there isn't much I love more than learning, I always look for new and unique avenues to enhance my knowledge of niche subjects; And I know for a fact that this faction is the perfect place for that, while also improving my Roleplay skills.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
Other than my prior recruitment into the role, which has given me first-hand knowledge of how this faculty operates. I would have to say, due to my almost five-year-long SRP career, I have tried my hand in a hefty majority of the various forms of Roleplay that make SRP so great; Being sure to try everything I can at least once, following a mentality of 'don't knock it till' you try it’. During this time, I managed to hone and improve both the detail and care I put into the writing behind my characters and each action they take, which I believe to be essential in a role such as this. I know that my writing isn’t the greatest on the server, but I truly believe that I’ve fallen in love with this side of roleplay as a whole, and I hope that I can continue to grow and improve my skills as a writer within this faction.

Additionally, my preparation for the role, which has consisted of a detailed revision of the Shinto religion, will without a doubt impact my Roleplay as a Shinto Priest. Although it was quite a while ago now, and as stated earlier, came at quite a weird time in my life, I remember enjoying every second of my time here, and only hope that I can add to the amazing environment the writers behind the shrine staff have managed to build.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAINING TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Absolutely.

───────────────────────────────────────

Buffer.jpg

In-Character (IC) Section
SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTER FULL NAME:

Tadashi Kudo

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Mr. Fella. Man

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
41 Years Old

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
"Single man, reveal yourself"

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
British-Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030)-750-8113

“First time someone’s asked for it...”

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

"Redemption, frankly; I've not been the best of fellas, I can admit that. I know that I've been given far too many chances in my life to turn over a new leaf, just to squander it. I know I'm a mess up. But now, I just want to do good, I don't want to cause suffering to those around me no’ more.''

"During my time in Singapore's correctional institution, I had time to reflect. Guided by the honourable jail priest, who by chance was at one time a practitioner within the shinto belief; an unlikely turn of events, in Singapore of all places. Leading me to believe without a shadow of a doubt that this must have been an event shadowed by some form of higher power.’’

“Seeing this as some sort of second chance; A sign if you will; I decided to devote my stay in imprisonment; reeducating myself on Shintoism, and though god knows I aint’ perfect, I just want with the time I have left, to leave this world a better place. I wish not to be remembered for my ill-choices but my ability to adapt and change, even after all this wasted time.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
"As a younger man, I'd tag along with someone very special to me, before she passed; Herself, having direct relation to the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. Whilst there, she'd send a flurry of information my way, anecdotes; she loved the fact that I hadn't a single clue about any of it, she was quite the teacher. Me? I was head-over-heels, enamoured by her beauty and mind. I made sure to retain the information she'd shoot my way since I gathered that it meant quite a lot to her. It’s almost funny how even after all these years, I still use the knowledge she taught me."

“The shrine is located on Mt. Daichi, a beautiful little place; suppose it could only be suitable for some sorta’ deity. Took 18 years to build the thing, 18 years well spent might I add. Though I believe at inception, the Shrine was constructed for believers of the Buddhist faith; it was quickly adapted for the Kami of Shintoism to reside.”

“In the early 19th century a merger between Shintoism and Buddist faith took place. An agreement that both practices could take place within the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. However; Buddhism still took priority over everything else, including Shintoism”

“in 2004, the place went up in flames. Culprit? Kannushui Ginjiro. He believed it wasn't necessary to Karakura, a selfish action; claimed the people of Karakura had-done forgotten the culture. The Monastery ain't never recovered from his idiocy, leaving only one of the many shrines remaining.”

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
[!] Though Kudo's handwriting resembled chicken-scratch more than dialog. You'd receive the strange sensation of earnest effort, which plagued each 'word' [!]

'Dear Monastery Lead,'

'My name is Tadashi Kudo, I come to you as a man; on a quest, seeking redemption. Having led a life of petty delinquency, and criminal actions which bordered on absurdity: Has left me scarred, physically and mentally. The actions of my foolish youth, having impacted my present.
I believe I am living on borrowed time, an uneasy weight remains on my shoulders, immeasurable guilt for the harm I have caused others, correlating with my less-than-desirable quality of life, which I wish to change.
I wish to seek refuge within the confines of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, under the role of priest. I wish to live by the ways of Shintoism, a way of life for which I hold a lot of respect. Allowing it to wash over me, setting me on the path of righteousness and all things good.
With the time I have left, I want to make a difference, a good one. I would implore you to keep my application in consideration, as I truly believe this is where I need to be. Thank you.'

'With kind regards, Tadashi Kudo'

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
[!] Tadashi’s backstory is purposely disjointed by design. A fragmented-amalgamation of adolescent anecdotes, a bastardised recollection of vague events [!]

Born January 26th 19XX, In the Northern reign of England. “Tadashi Kudo’s” early life would be defined by ill-examples and fraternal absences, which critically altered Kudo’s adolescent development.

Lacking a father figure, Tadashi’s early life was fostered by the care of his sickly mother, Haruto Kudo.

Haruto, ruled incompetent and unable to take care of Tadashi. A court hearing which ended with Tadashi being sent to Karakura, under the care of his mother’s sister.

What followed was an adolescent life full of petty delinquency, pushing the boundaries. again; and again, before coming to a grinding-halt; once sentenced to a short stint in a local Juvenile Detention Centre; aged 14.

“Take a photo. It’ll last long- owh- wait.”

Once released, aged 17; Tadashi reunited with the outside world. A noticeable lack of family awaiting his return. For the first time in his life, Kudo found out what it truly meant to be alone. Though impoverished and mildly unlucky, Tadashi, whilst under his mother’s wing, lived a sheltered life, this is where Kudo discovered his fear of loneliness.

With no safety net, the once partially reformed Tadashi went back to his life of petty delinquency, slowly influenced by the wrong crowds, changing his outlook forever more, a lasting mark on his life that he would never forget

Though throughout this time, dashes of brief happiness entered Kudo’s life, they were merely just droplets of water within an ocean of issues. Influenced by “best friends” and elder brother figures, Tadashi soon found himself at the doorstep of a greater evil, the Akihito clan.

An admittedly brief yet life defining stint within the Akihito clan followed. Taking part in the ‘first Akihito war’, a defining event within Tadashi’s early life, which impacted not only his mind, but also his body. Leaving Kudo limping through the sewers of Karakura, feeling betrayed. And yet again… alone. He never swore his oath, walking out on one of the only people he’d ever called family.

Once abdicated from the Akihito clan. Tadashi became ever more the flippant personality, yet now; lacking the physicality to back it up. Feeling useless, leading a life devoid of happiness nor purpose, Kudo decided to do little more than wonder, leaving the place he’d known as home for the majority of his life, with a sour taste in his mouth.

Time; refusing to halt, Tadashi had found himself getting older and older, with no hope of remedy. Acquire the odd job, most requiring a dubious morality at best, Kudo would do anything just to get by, lacking conversation, displaying a new found sense of meekness wherever he went.

At the ripe old age of 34, Tadashi Kudo, found himself residing in Singapore, continuing his pursuit of odd jobs to keep himself afloat, before one of those “odd jobs” would see to land him in the Singaporian criminal correctional institution. Tadashi would soon come to the realisation (with help from the prison’s priest) that he had wasted the better half of his life, being too disheartened by his physical follies as a result of a younger man's crimes. Kudo began the journey of bettering his life, Shintoism being a crucial part of that journey.

“Y’got the wrong fella! The eye-patch is on the wrong side!”

Buffer.jpg

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details
What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:
Both Shinto priests and Maidens face uniquely different challenges, roles that often develop due to on-field repetition and education, both of which are equally vital to the development and or preservation of their shrines.

Kannushi, more colloquially known as Shinkan, or Shinto Priests; hold an integral position within their shrine. Referred to as a ritual expert, priests often find themselves hand holding visitors through divine pastures and incantations to bridge the severance between the divine realms and our own. Perceived to have mastered secret knowledge of the techniques of worship, the role of a Priest is ever-adapting to the individual's prayer, and the world around them. Furthermore, Shinkans' are privy to sacred information such as Sacrificial acts, songs, and ancient knowledge.

Maidens, who follow the practice of Shintoism, otherwise known as Miko; were once identified as ancient Shinto Shamans, however, adapting to the current lack of purpose of modern-day Shamanship, Maidens are now seen as the glue that keeps the Shinto shrine together. Partaking in the performance of sacred cleaning; in addition to performing the Kagura dance, the life of a Miko is littered with cultural significance.
The Kagura dance is an act of dance-theatre performed by the shrine Maidens during Shinto Religious ceremonies. The purpose of the Kagura dance is to entertain the gods, preserving their good spirits.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Using your right hand, you will first take hold of the ladle, which is located atop the basin, once complete, you will then fill up the ladle with the purified water that resides within the confines of the basin; you will then begin to pour the water onto your left hand, once done you will repeat the process using your corresponding hand. Once both hands have been coated and cleansed in the purified water, you will then penultimately begin using the ladle, carefully pouring some of the divine water into your mouth, before spitting it out beside the fountain, finalising the purification process.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
Presenting offerings to a Kami is a sacred act; And as such, should be performed with both delicacy and a strong amount of care. To start with, you should choose what exactly it is that you want to offer. These offerings are often things such as vegetables, sake, rice, Yen etc. However, usually differ depending on which Kami is receiving the offering. Once you have your sacred item, you will then need to get them purified, which can traditionally be done by any Shinkan or Miko available. After this vital step, the offering will be placed on the Kami shrine, where you will then need to bow in order to pay a form of spiritual tribute to the Kami (Not too dissimilar from the two bows you’d give when praying). Ultimately, you would then ring out two claps; Alerting the Kami of the ritual, while signifying the successful completion of the offering.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
Tea ceremonies may seem like simple, small acts to outsiders. However, in the world of Shintoism, it holds significant religious meaning, and can often be seen as a display of just how kind, dedicated, and caring the current-day preservers of the religion truly are. To start, either a Shinkan or a Miko must first lay down a Tatami Mat; Usually mat-like structures of rice-straw and sea-grass; Before placing a tea bowl atop it. The leading Shinkan/Miko will then (After ensuring the tea bowl is facing them) follow by pouring carefully-prepared green tea into the bowl. Once this step is completed, the first (Often the most important) guest will be handed the bowl. Within their right hand, they will then raise it slightly to signify respect to whomever prepared said tea, before placing it in their left palm, turning it 90 degrees, and finally taking a small sip. After this, the bowl will be returned to the sanctuary of the Tatami Mat; The action repeated until every guest has tried the tea.

There are a multitude of reasons a tea ceremony might take place. These could range from a sign of unification and good fortune to a bride and groom at a wedding, a welcoming of individuals to the shrine, or even simply to achieve a state of serenity and inner peace. Either way, it’s a significantly important process to know, and is vital to life as a Shinkan or Miko.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
From my understanding, a Tamagushi is a form of offering, made from Sakaki-Tree branch/wood, housing various different decorations depending on the nature of the ritual it is being used in. These decorations are commonly resources such as silk, cotton, washi-paper, etc. Tamagushi are usually used as a means to pay respect, in scenarios such as funerals, weddings, or simple gestures of goodwill.

An Ofuda is defined as one of many charms that can instil a heavy influx of different blessings on the wearer/place it is located. These talismans are oftentimes made from cloth or paper, and are found commonly for sale within Shinto Shrines or other religious facilities. It is said that the Ofuda carry the luck and good-will of the Kami, and hence; hold significant religious prominence.

A Kagura Suzu is a vital tool used by high-ranking Miko in a ritual known as the ‘Kagura Dance’. These objects are traditionally seen adjourned with 12 bells, all surrounding a middle handle of wood, coated in red paint. The ‘Kagura Dance’ itself is an act performed during various events, festivals, and rituals that take place within a Shinto Shrine, and are done in order to both appease and entertain the surrounding Kami. It is a hope for good harvest, aiming to ward off natural disasters, believed to be conjured up by unhappy deities.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Although Kudo tries to worship all Kami equally, he can’t help but hold a great manner of respect for Acala, or Fudō Myōō, holding him in regard almost as high as he holds Izanagi. Funnily enough; he often tries to hide this fact, due to Fudō Myōō being a Kami originally from a form of esoteric Buddhism; a foolish feeling of shame emboldening his body whenever the topic arises.

Users who are viewing this thread