Check out our in character Social Media

mc.roleplayhub.net

Loading status...
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[GUIDE] HOW TO HAVE A PROPER CHARACTER WITH A MENTAL ILLNESS!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Missunderstood, Oct 17, 2020 at 2:29 PM.

1. Missunderstood

Missunderstood Nigeria Level 83

Local Time:
    1:46 AM
    [​IMG]

GUIDE WHEN HAVING CHARACTERS WITH MENTAL ILLNESSES!
    [Might be a sensitive topic, just an FYI]

WHAT IS A MENTAL ILLNESS?
    A mental illness is something that disrupts mood or how a human is supposed to function- mentally. It can also affect behaviors, they are usually deemed as a hinderance.

WHAT ARE THE TYPES?
    • Clinical Depression.
    • Anxiety Disorder.
    • Bipolar Disorder.
    • Dementia.
    • ADHD.
    • Schizophrenia.
    • OCD.
    • Autism.
    • PTSD.
    [There's probably a lot more that I didn't list out, but these are the most common types]

HOW SHOULD I TREAT IT WHEN ROLEPLAYING WITH IT?
    DO NOT use it as some sort of quirk. Don't think of these as social advancements either, use it with care. Try your best to to be respectful with it due to the fact it can be incredibly insensitive if you represent it the completely wrong way such as having 0 knowledge on it. If you plan on having a character with any mental illness, make sure to rope play with it properly. Even if you don't normally seriousrp, please seriousrp when it comes with things like this.

HOW ARE THE WAYS I COULD ROPE PLAY WITH IT IF I CHOSE TO
    • Make the symptoms subtle, rather than something that's in front of everyone's face [PLEASE RESEARCH ON THE SYMPTOMS OF IT INSTEAD OF JUST PROVIDING FALSE INFORMATION ON THE SYMPTOMS]
    • Make your character have an intake on their illness... perhaps they'd view it as normal rather than accepting themselves as some sort of crazy person. Make how they view their world interesting and engaging.
    • Make sure to add some habits that could be caused by it in your /mes

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO LISTEN TO SOME POINTS IN THE GUIDE IF YOU CHOSE TO DO SO?
    Many, many, times have I seen stuff like depression used rather without care in this server. I don't mean to place shade on anyone but having multiple illnesses in your character won't make them any more developed or unique. The fact mental illnesses isn't something that needs to be applied for anymore doesn't mean that you shouldn't be insensitive or over excessive on it. Even so, making it some sort of joke won't make role play more fun for you.

WEBSITES THAT ARE USEFUL IN GAINING MORE KNOWLEDGE ON THEM

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...pert-answers/clinical-depression/faq-20057770
    https://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/anxiety-disorders#1
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...ious mental,functioning, and can be disabling.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...pulsive-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20354432
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...-stress-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20355967

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU SEEM TO HAVE A RELATION TO SOME OF THE PROBLEMS YOUR CHARACTER ACTS ON?

Visit a therapist. Don't self diagnose, while also not disregarding it either. Please visit a therapist or seek professional help. If you don't feel like you're ready or you need someone to rant to, my discord is always open: wwish#4154.

SHOULD I FEEL AS IF I HAVE TO HAVE A MENTAL ILLNESS FOR MY CHARACTER?
    No. Don't feel like that, you can have a perfectly mundane character yet they could still be interesting to other people while also being enjoyable to role play with.

NOTE: Research on it before role playing as it please!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Totoro_Sam

Totoro_Sam Australia Level 238

Local Time:
    10:46 AM
    SchoolRP
    u give me mental illness

• Like Like x 1
  3. Missunderstood

Local Time:
    that is a lie

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fatalified

Fatalified Germany Level 7

Local Time:
    2:46 AM
    Holy hell, how do you manage to write so many damn guides?

Well, apart from that, I think it's a really good idea that you clarified certain things here, like for the quirks, research, as well as the OOC part with the self-diagnose. I've seen people do it in the past... not fun.
    Awesome job you did there, keep it up!
    (You have too much free time I'm jealous)

5. Missunderstood

Local Time:
    thank youuu

free time? i dont think my outstanding homework agrees with that

6. Fatalified

Fatalified Germany Level 7

Local Time:
    2:46 AM
    I wish I could say I don't relate, honestly :/