mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

How should you roleplay defensively in dangerous situations?

Sumi Ishida

Level 2
So, over the course of the several months I've been playing SRP it's become apparent that there is a large gangRP/criminalRP presence, and it's not uncommon to encounter a potentially dangerous situation every now and again. Given this fact, I've been wondering how to realistically, and working within the SRP combat system, roleplay in a defensive/evasive manner in hostile/dangerous situations?

I have a character who, realistically speaking, has no combat experience, and would try to get out of any altercation unscathed. They would not attempt to attack someone, but rather try to dodge/block/push away/flee from any perpetrator (the main goal being to ultimately get away). If a friend was in danger, they would likely intervene in a non-aggressive manner, attempting to de-escalate the situation, or trying to create separation between them and the aggressor, and getting themselves & their friend away from the scenario as soon as they can, and/or call police/a school staff/yell for help. Generally, not wanting to be harmed, or see others harmed, and being fearful of dangerous situations.

With this in mind, how would I approach the combat rolling system, and how would more defensive actions be considered in terms of permissions. Would I roll to dodge/block something before/after it's attempted? Do I need to roll to attempt to flee (start running from/being allowed to run) from a situation? would fleeing (and potentially rolling for it) depend on what distance is between you and the attacker? Does pushing someone away from you count as attacking them? and would that give them minor assault permissions on you for doing so? Does intervening in a fight provide any permissions on my character? Does grabbing someone's arm to prevent them from causing harm count as attacking them, and subsequently give them permissions on your character? What consequences could happen (permissions-wise,) from trying to call for help (I'm aware that phones can be mugged/broken as a consequence, but what about if you yell for help verbally for example?)?

On a separate, but somewhat similar, note, is it possible to grant someone specific permissions (without including other permissions of a similar severity) such as 'permission to knock out' (which is included in minor perms), but not to break any bones. Or similarly for major permissions, 'permission to kidnap', or 'permission to break into someone's property', but not to remove a limb, and vice versa/etc.

tobbby

Level 277
mrbug_
mrbug_
Rich
So, over the course of the several months I've been playing SRP it's become apparent that there is a large gangRP/criminalRP presence, and it's not uncommon to encounter a potentially dangerous situation every now and again. Given this fact, I've been wondering how to realistically, and working within the SRP combat system, roleplay in a defensive/evasive manner in hostile/dangerous situations?

I have a character who, realistically speaking, has no combat experience, and would try to get out of any altercation unscathed. They would not attempt to attack someone, but rather try to dodge/block/push away/flee from any perpetrator (the main goal being to ultimately get away). If a friend was in danger, they would likely intervene in a non-aggressive manner, attempting to de-escalate the situation, or trying to create separation between them and the aggressor, and getting themselves & their friend away from the scenario as soon as they can, and/or call police/a school staff/yell for help. Generally, not wanting to be harmed, or see others harmed, and being fearful of dangerous situations.

With this in mind, how would I approach the combat rolling system, and how would more defensive actions be considered in terms of permissions. Would I roll to dodge/block something before/after it's attempted? Do I need to roll to attempt to flee (start running from/being allowed to run) from a situation? would fleeing (and potentially rolling for it) depend on what distance is between you and the attacker? Does pushing someone away from you count as attacking them? and would that give them minor assault permissions on you for doing so? Does intervening in a fight provide any permissions on my character? Does grabbing someone's arm to prevent them from causing harm count as attacking them, and subsequently give them permissions on your character? What consequences could happen (permissions-wise,) from trying to call for help (I'm aware that phones can be mugged/broken as a consequence, but what about if you yell for help verbally for example?)?

On a separate, but somewhat similar, note, is it possible to grant someone specific permissions (without including other permissions of a similar severity) such as 'permission to knock out' (which is included in minor perms), but not to break any bones. Or similarly for major permissions, 'permission to kidnap', or 'permission to break into someone's property', but not to remove a limb, and vice versa/etc.
As of the last thing you’ve said, I allowed someone to kidnap me for the purpose of story. I mostly do it with friends and trusted people that I know wont do stupid shit, yanknow? They stuck by my guidlines and nobody was the wiser, well except the characters of course

But if you were to do so I would do it with the intention of a set outcome

Nylu

Level 99
Community Team
Lore Team
nylu
nylu
Notable+
Hello! I'm a frequent gangrper, I'll be available to answer your questions

how would I approach the combat rolling system, and how would more defensive actions be considered in terms of permissions.

When someone attempts to use perms on you (keyword, attempt), you get the same perms they have. If they have minors on you and attempt to hit you (even if it misses), you have minors on them too now meaning you can fight back. Same goes for majors and KPS. If someone tries to major you (even if they fail or fail a kidnapping), you have majors on them.

Would I roll to dodge/block something before/after it's attempted?

After someone attempts to attack you, you roll. That's your character dodging/blocking. In your next action, you can include that they dodged but it isn't necessary because it's already assumed. If they fail to attack you, your best thing to do would be to run.

Do I need to roll to attempt to flee (start running from/being allowed to run) from a situation? would fleeing (and potentially rolling for it) depend on what distance is between you and the attacker?

Yes, you do have to roll to attempt to flee. Fleeing doesn't necessarily depend on distance since you can do it at ANY distance. The only difference is if they aren't in range. If they aren't in range then you can do it without rolling. Refer to weapon profiles! Fists are one block range but there are items that are longer than one block like the metal bat for example. It's three blocks meaning that if they have a bat out and you're three blocks away, you have to roll. However, if they're fighting with their fists and they're 3 blocks away, then you can run without rolling since they can't even punch you, to begin with, due to them being out of range.

weapon profiles: https://schoolrp.net/threads/crime-weapon-profiles-masks-bats-knives-more.52004/

Does pushing someone away from you count as attacking them?

Pushing someone is considered minors in some situations and sometimes it's not. There are people who allow others to push their characters into stuff without having minor perms and there are some people who don't. In a fighting situation, if you push someone, then yes it counts as you attacking them but in self-defense. If you're arguing with someone and decide to push them, you will be giving them minor perms on you.

Does intervening in a fight provide any permissions on my character? Does grabbing someone's arm to prevent them from causing harm count as attacking them, and subsequently give them permissions on your character?

Intervening in a fight grants whoever it is minors and ONLY minors unless you attempted to use major permissions. Grabbing is a bit different, however. Grabbing doesn't grant minors but if you're grabbing someone to intervene in a fight, it does. However, it doesn't count as you fighting them.

What consequences could happen (permissions-wise,) from trying to call for help (I'm aware that phones can be mugged/broken as a consequence, but what about if you yell for help verbally for example?)?

Obviously, if you call, it grants mug perms. However, you can yell for help freely. Do take in mind that if you 'snitch' or tell cops and the assailants get in trouble, they can get majors if their character gets arrested (ONLY if they have proof that you snitched). If you ran to KPD and yelled for help and a cop came out then arrested someone for attacking you, they will have majors on you because they knew you did it. However, if you called the police at a distance while watching someone get beat up and cops arrest that person, they don't have majors on you because their character doesn't know you did it. If you call the cops on someone for committing a crime and they see it, they have minor perms to attack you so do take note that majors are ONLY enforced if they get ARRESTED because of YOU and have PROOF that YOU did it.

If you snitch over something as simple as them jaywalking and they get fined, they get minor perms on you.

So quick summary:

Calling cops resulting in an arrest: Majors

Calling cops resulting in a fine: Minors

Calling cops while they watch you: Minors

Not sure what you mean by this but hopefully I answer it correctly.

If you mean that you HAVE majors on someone and you want to grant someone permission to use it, you can do this by doing /me describes [person] and then telling them what you want to be done to them.

Example:

/me describes Sefu Tanaka. "I want their arm cut off. They knocked me out."

If you mean that you want to grant someone permissions on your character, yes, you can do this! You can give anyone minors/majors/kps on your character however, the opposing person needs an IC reason. You can't give a random person KPS and they get to just use it. They need a reason.

Example: I grant Itaru Saiky, cloud's character, permission to kidnap my character. Their reason is that Sefu, my character, flirted with Anais Asanquez.

Hope this answers your questions

Last edited:

Infi

Level 132
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
Roleplaying defensively is actually quite simple. If you’re in a position where you just don’t want to engage in combat and no perms are on your back then you can easily action to walk away and get out of the situation before it escalates. They can chase you but they can’t physically harm you unless they have the proper permissions which is a really easy thing to avoid happening

tobbby

Level 277
mrbug_
mrbug_
Rich
Hello! I'm a frequent gangrper, I'll be available to answer your questions

When someone attempts to use perms on you (keyword, attempt), you get the same perms they have. If they have minors on you and attempt to hit you (even if it misses), you have minors on them too now meaning you can fight back. Same goes for majors and KPS. If someone tries to major you (even if they fail or fail a kidnapping), you have majors on them.

After someone attempts to attack you, you roll. That's your character dodging/blocking. In your next action, you can include that they dodged but it isn't necessary because it's already assumed. If they fail to attack you, your best thing to do would be to run.

Yes, you do have to roll to attempt to flee. Fleeing doesn't necessarily depend on distance since you can do it at ANY distance. The only difference is if they aren't in range. If they aren't in range then you can do it without rolling. Refer to weapon profiles! Fists are one block range but there are items that are longer than one block like the metal bat for example. It's three blocks meaning that if they have a bat out and you're three blocks away, you have to roll. However, if they're fighting with their fists and they're 3 blocks away, then you can run without rolling since they can't even punch you, to begin with, due to them being out of range.

weapon profiles: https://schoolrp.net/threads/crime-weapon-profiles-masks-bats-knives-more.52004/

Pushing someone is considered minors in some situations and sometimes it's not. There are people who allow others to push their characters into stuff without having minor perms and there are some people who don't. In a fighting situation, if you push someone, then yes it counts as you attacking them but in self-defense. If you're arguing with someone and decide to push them, you will be giving them minor perms on you.

Intervening in a fight grants whoever it is minors and ONLY minors unless you attempted to use major permissions. Grabbing is a bit different, however. Grabbing doesn't grant minors but if you're grabbing someone to intervene in a fight, it does. However, it doesn't count as you fighting them.

Obviously, if you call, it grants mug perms. However, you can yell for help freely. Do take in mind that if you 'snitch' or tell cops and the assailants get in trouble, they can get majors if their character gets arrested (ONLY if they have proof that you snitched). If you ran to KPD and yelled for help and a cop came out then arrested someone for attacking you, they will have majors on you because they knew you did it. However, if you called the police at a distance while watching someone get beat up and cops arrest that person, they don't have majors on you because their character doesn't know you did it. If you call the cops on someone for committing a crime and they see it, they have minor perms to attack you so do take note that majors are ONLY enforced if they get ARRESTED because of YOU and have PROOF that YOU did it.

If you snitch over something as simple as them jaywalking and they get fined, they get minor perms on you.

So quick summary:

Calling cops resulting in an arrest: Majors

Calling cops resulting in a fine: Minors

Calling cops while they watch you: Minors

Not sure what you mean by this but hopefully I answer it correctly.

If you mean that you HAVE majors on someone and you want to grant someone permission to use it, you can do this by doing /me describes [person] and then telling them what you want to be done to them.

Example:

/me describes Sefu Tanaka. "I want their arm cut off. They knocked me out."

If you mean that you want to grant someone permissions on your character, yes, you can do this! You can give anyone minors/majors/kps on your character however, the opposing person needs an IC reason. You can't give a random person KPS and they get to just use it. They need a reason.

Example: I grant Itaru Saiky, cloud's character, permission to kidnap my character. Their reason is that Sefu, my character, flirted with Anais Asanquez.

Hope this answers your questions
kis kis <33

Users who are viewing this thread