Oliverium

Level 53
Oliverium
Oliverium
Omega+
IGN: Oliverium
DATE: 3-9-23
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:
Remove instrument cooldowns (keep pans and airhorn cooldown though)
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
It was great when they added cooldowns for things like pans and airhorns because they get annoying real fast. However, many instruments have cooldowns which just get rid of the purpose of playing music. I'd like to point out some reasons I think cooldowns for instruments should be removed:
1. Not all instruments are on cooldown. Ukuleles, xylophones, and even electric guitars are not on cooldowns. Yet acoustic guitars are? What's the reason?
2. When people take the time, they can play good sounding music. I've also witnessed people play two instruments at once and even switch in the middle of the song for a different combo of sounds. When done right, it's very entertaining.
3. In settings in the music and sound option, you can turn down/off certain sounds. Also, the volume button is available too.
3.5. Excessive sounds are annoying for sure, but we have so many annoying sounds apart from instruments. For example, phone music. Just turn your volume down!
4. Shops, especially Rotasu Music, is introducing many new instruments. So many new sounds would sound so well together. But alas, they all have cool downs. How can I play a song with only 1 beat per 5ish seconds? It also floods chat (ikik, feather can stack them, but still annoying)

I am aware that the cooldown thing is controversial, but I want to at least consider these things so we can start using unique instruments to their full potential!

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
+1, I understand that some people spam instruments and it's incredibly annoying but the two to four second cool downs make it near impossible to play coherent songs. I cannot play simple songs like Ode to Joy because the pauses between notes are too long.

Recently I finally redeemed my custom to be a cello, only to be disappointed that the cool down has a really negative feeling to it. Of course being a member of staff, I'm sure I can be trusted to not spam my own instrument.

I think just having people turn off sounds if it bothers them is a better solution than "punishing" players who do want to play actual music.

philbertman42

Level 138
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
1. Not all instruments are on cooldown.
Really, it should be all or nothing when it comes to the cooldown. I don't get why random instruments were arbitrarily chosen to be basically unusable outside of a standard cosmetic prop that can sometimes make a cool noise.

3. In settings in the music and sound option, you can turn down/off certain sounds. Also, the volume button is available too.
This is the one argument I'm really against when it comes to this discussion. As a player, I should not have to change my settings to accommodate other players who may or may not be trolling / using their items inappropriately. It's especially tedious as a teacher, because ICly I sometimes have to address these types of things, meaning that I OOCly need to have the sounds enabled. Additionally, I would like to be able to hear my own phone's ringtone, and those of other players' (for the sake of class / detention) but don't want to be tuning my volume every few minutes to do this.

Basically, I acknowledge that there is a client-side solution, but think there really should be a server-side one instead. Though, I'm sure this probably wouldn't be the best thread to have that discussion, so I'll leave it at this.

fredtastic

Level 14
Community Team
Event Team
fredtastic
fredtastic
Omega+
+1

Yes i understand some people may spam it, but some instruments are litterally unusable right now. People can just turn off their mc sounds if they find it annoying

How am i supposed to play my cool songs now

Infi

Level 132
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
So thing is with instruments, every new instrument that’s added automatically has a cool down on it once it’s put into the game. It’s something only KimiNoUso can fix IF it’s requested to be fixed. I own probably over half the instruments on the server as they’re my shop customs and have been meaning to put in a request for it I just got lazy is all lol

Infi

Level 132
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
Also, about your 1st point, the instrument cooldown was implemented before all of these quirky new custom instruments started appearing in SRP revolving around my shop. The instruments that were public before didn’t recieve the cooldown, but every instrument since has an automatic cooldown upon being implemented

Acroy

Level 28
[+1/-1]
I'm more of a neutral in this. If implemented it will cause certain trollers to SPAM INSTRUMENTS INTO MY EAR.The pro side to this is I can actually use my guitar. Normally with my cool-down it's a singular strum every 4-5 smth seconds... Annoying.

I would like to see this as a feature, but have it stop after excessive clicking/cooldown is 0.5 seconds or something like that.

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
Hear me out, we include instrument spamming as a kind of spam. Like something you could get warned for

Acroy

Level 28
Hear me out, we include instrument spamming as a kind of spam. Like something you could get warned for
Yes. But mods aren't always online to catch them. And quite a few players don't feel like reporting them. Idk...

Oliverium

Level 53
Oliverium
Oliverium
Omega+
Yes. But mods aren't always online to catch them. And quite a few players don't feel like reporting them. Idk...
It only takes one person, and if it's truly annoying, that one person can step up and report it. If no one wants to take the time then they can either ignore it or move somewhere else.

rieums

Level 42
rieums
rieums
Omega
The instruments are soooo loud and annoying when played. I think the cooldown is necessary.

KimiNoUso

Level 339
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Reviewed
Thank you for your suggestion!

- All of the instruments that were suppose to have no cooldown have been fixed, we've also removed some of the instruments that were being abused/broke other systems.​
- Spamming instruments to purposefully disrupt events, or others roleplay can be considered punishment. Please try to be mindful that not everybody wishes to hear the same sound over and over.​

Users who are viewing this thread