iowkeyHades | Housing

lowkeyHades

Level 23
IowkeyHades
IowkeyHades
Notable+
IGN: iowkeyHades
DATE: 13/6/2022
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: A possible extension on housing, small crawl space houses in the sewers that are cheap and affordable.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?: (explained here). The idea is simple, we begin to develop the underground sewer network with almost pop up housing networks. These could be possible 4x5 spaces that are pre decorated areas with the ability to place your name on the chest. This would server almost as a homeless shelter and would satisfy some demand for housing, and give players the opportunity to have an "underground" home where access to the sewers is easy. Clearly this would be implemented and ran by the criminal side of the town instead of government who would add walkways that lead to these bases. They can be spread throughout the sewers and be affordable for most, (20k yen for example). I personally understand that we will never supply the demand of housing, and instead of cramming the town with apartment complexes why don't we take the action of creating a bit of life in the sewers which isn't exactly around gang violence. These could be made smaller etc. And if love to hear feedback and ideas that might develop this idea, and will change it in correspondence to this!

ikawaipotato has suggested this as a bit of further feedback to build on the idea!

maybe some sort of organization could sponsor an underground homeless shelter, perhaps as a front for shady business or as a way of exploiting its inhabitants? It could offer basic storage (via lock boxes, safes etc), basic utilities and whatnot, allowing for players who are absolutely incapable of finding housing to have something basic to use. Something like this would likely need to be sorted with an organization and/or the criminal lead, though I think it could be an interesting addition to Karakura's lore.

Last edited:

philbertman42

Level 130
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
It's pretty difficult to find a private place to live in a sewer, and making enough rooms to house dozens of players would be too much of a stretch on reality, even for SRP. Realistically the only things that homeless people would be storing in a sewer home would be disposable, replaceable things (while SRP players would likely store valuables such as weapons) as they aren't well protected, safe, or usually meant to be long-term.

Low cost housing isn't a good idea, as then it would be much easier than it currently is for inactive players to occupy housing. It's difficult to put down 100,000 per month on a house you don't use, but somebody with a starting balance of 500,000 (an average amount) could purchase one of these crawl spaces, log on once a month to extend their ownership and it would take 2 years before they ran out of cash. Housing should remain expensive so that only active players should be able to afford it.

That being said, the idea of having people live in the sewers is interesting; maybe some sort of organization could sponsor an underground homeless shelter, perhaps as a front for shady business or as a way of exploiting its inhabitants? It could offer basic storage (via lock boxes, safes etc), basic utilities and whatnot, allowing for players who are absolutely incapable of finding housing to have something basic to use. Something like this would likely need to be sorted with an organization and/or the criminal lead, though I think it could be an interesting addition to Karakura's lore.

ParentVibez

Level 191
_A3he
_A3he
Notable
It's pretty difficult to find a private place to live in a sewer, and making enough rooms to house dozens of players would be too much of a stretch on reality, even for SRP. Realistically the only things that homeless people would be storing in a sewer home would be disposable, replaceable things (while SRP players would likely store valuables such as weapons) as they aren't well protected, safe, or usually meant to be long-term.

Low cost housing isn't a good idea, as then it would be much easier than it currently is for inactive players to occupy housing. It's difficult to put down 100,000 per month on a house you don't use, but somebody with a starting balance of 500,000 (an average amount) could purchase one of these crawl spaces, log on once a month to extend their ownership and it would take 2 years before they ran out of cash. Housing should remain expensive so that only active players should be able to afford it.

That being said, the idea of having people live in the sewers is interesting; maybe some sort of organization could sponsor an underground homeless shelter, perhaps as a front for shady business or as a way of exploiting its inhabitants? It could offer basic storage (via lock boxes, safes etc), basic utilities and whatnot, allowing for players who are absolutely incapable of finding housing to have something basic to use. Something like this would likely need to be sorted with an organization and/or the criminal lead, though I think it could be an interesting addition to Karakura's lore.
Oh I quite like this

shishi

Level 71
B0JANGLZ
B0JANGLZ
Omega+

This doesn't seem like something a cities government would realistically do.
What Kana said, as well. It just doesn't seem all that realistic and due to the rampant gang roleplay that occurs in the sewers, it would NOT make for fun roleplay in said crawl spaces! If I lived there I would NOT want to see someone get STABBED outside of my door!

Replying to this, the reason housing is so cheap is to ensure players of all economic standing have a chance to actually have a home. Instead of upping the pricing of housing, double down on the people who aren't using their apartments, or in general just. . . not doing anything with the place. The apartment reselling industry is WACKO. ACTUALLY! You can see someone buy an apartment or one price, clear all of it out, and then sell it for more than what the market price even is! The people don't even use the apartment.

Previously (I was NOT on the server at this time) there were student dorms! It seems decently cool, and can offer engaging roleplay, however, I don't think the Karakura map has the room to re-add this type of housing.

lowkeyHades

Level 23
IowkeyHades
IowkeyHades
Notable+

This doesn't seem like something a cities government would realistically do.
Just to make sure your clear, I did say the government wouldn't do this and it would be ran by the underground crime network

lowkeyHades

Level 23
IowkeyHades
IowkeyHades
Notable+

I really like your add on for the suggestion and think you've created a nice track to progress the idea, i'll change it in a little bit to add this idea within that original

Infi

Level 127
Community Team
Builder
oInfi
oInfi
Omega+
Build team and I think its a REALLY cool idea. Just needs a bit of tweaking :D

philbertman42

Level 130
philbertman42
philbertman42
Notable
the reason housing is so cheap is to ensure players of all economic standing have a chance to actually have a home. Instead of upping the pricing of housing, double down on the people who aren't using their apartments, or in general just. . . not doing anything with the place. The apartment reselling industry is WACKO. ACTUALLY! You can see someone buy an apartment or one price, clear all of it out, and then sell it for more than what the market price even is! The people don't even use the apartment.
There's no easy way to see who is and isn't using their apartments for roleplay. I used to own a penthouse and used it exclusively for storage for about a year. Other people could have been using it, though there was no way to actually prove I wasn't, or had no plans to. It's scummy, but there's no rules against it.

The issue isn't about money, it's about availability; most active players can afford the rent of most apartments on their allowance, there just aren't available units to rent. For those who somehow can't pay, there is the option of grouping up with friends, splitting the cost and living in a shared unit (which is also an option for those who can't find their own.)

This is all off-topic from OP's idea, though. If you have ideas for how staff can moderate apartments to see whether or not the user is actively using them, you should totally make a new thread. I know I won't, as I am actually the laziest man on this planet B^)

Toto

Level 231
SchoolRP
SchoolRP
Rich

I agree completely with this. W response

Kana

Level 129
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
Just to make sure your clear, I did say the government wouldn't do this and it would be ran by the underground crime network
I see I must've read it wrong, but still, In my opinion, a city's government would shut this down in a second if it were to be run by criminals. Realistically, it'd eventually be monitored by police, and the city would hire contractors to remove the area.

pashy

Level 183
I realllly like the idea but I don't think it really should be implemented. . Sewers is considered an unsafe location and, many gang-roleplayers use it to operate - it would be unsatisfying for gang-roleplayers having a housing near one of their favorite locations and in the most location that doesn't make sense for a housing. . Great idea tho just wouldn't work well from this aspects and perhaps from more and different aspects others might entitle

Ruin

Level 97
Ruin06
Ruin06
Notable+
Sounds really good. Space is not a problem because its undergound, you could easily mine few blocks and put small places that serves as houses to people and there could be people roleplaying as a homeless or very poor person

KimiNoUso

Level 337
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Denied
- This wouldn't make too much sense. We also offer affordable housing in Apartment Block G & the newer share houses which aren't usually at capacity.​

Users who are viewing this thread