Out-Of-Character (OOC) Information

IGN:

KimiNoHoes

DISCORD TAG:
Iphone#0831

PREVIOUS BANS:
I have not been banned from the server and have no plans for it in the future
DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS:
I can join calls but I try to stay muted to refrain from background noise flooding the call.

POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
Priest

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
While the activity on this account isn't the best I have been changing that the last few days by working on getting him a proper outfit made, I already have the base I am just waiting on getting him an outfit to use. My overall activity on the server is relatively good as I try to get on all my accounts each day to balance out my activity. At the start of the month, I mainly focus on my tutor's account to get his hours finished. Afterward, I will go semi inactive on him but I will always get on him if asked or needed. As for my Judge I have been mainly playing him over the last week because I wanted to finish out his backstory and how the character will behave and act. As for forums activity, I check it normally three times a day and will react to posts as I see them.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGION?
While I don't have a massive understanding of the religion and a majority of my study was during a period of short study when I did world religion. From the parts, I remember the religion is polytheistic and revolves around Kami. These are supernatural beings that are said to inhabit all things and are often described and drawn as animals. There are three types of shrines and the one in Karakura is the Jinja public shrine which is normally staffed by priests, This is the basis for what I remember about the religion but I am always open to learning more. I understand that this is a barebones dive into it and does need expanding.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I believe that me coming with even a short amount of information shows that I am prepared and ready to take on the job. I have been working as a professor on the server for a short time but was a tutor before and I know the experience I gained from roleplaying on these roles can come in handy when working at the shrine. While I haven't been a player on the server for a long time I do have a good reputation with both staff and players and have worked to run my own organization on the server and have also worked and maintained multiple positions within both the town and academics faction. I always come ready to learn and know that this will be a huge help for staff when it comes to training as I can learn quickly. While this isn't exactly specific for Minecraft I am a huge fan of history and this includes all things like religion, while my base for Shintoism is smaller than Christianity or Buddhism I am prepared to always learn on my own and to go the extra mile for it and learn past what they expect me to know.

In-Character Information

FULL NAME:

Fumihiro O'Sullivan

WHAT IS YOUR AGE?:

WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
Being new to Karakura I had worked with a smaller family shrine in Shinhidaka as their secondary priest. The shrine was dedicated to the kami Fujin of the wind. After working for them through my younger years and into my late 20's I rose to become one of the priests even after starting as a cleaning boy the first few years. As the family decided to move and bring the shrine with them I was thrown into the job market I decided to move back with my family who has resided in Karakura for years now. Moving back I had looked into going back to college and getting a degree before my family gave me the idea of applying for a public shrine. Although I didn't believe I had enough knowledge they kept pushing me and pushing me to apply and become part of the shrine. Although I didn't believe in myself they gave me the encouragement I needed to apply.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
Being new to the town the history I have learned is bare and not very thorough as I have had little time to get into my studies with focusing on looking for a job to provide for my family.

From what I do know about the shrine, construction on the original shrine began in late 744 and continued until the winter of 762. Although only one of the original buildings still stands from its early construction the rebuilt parts match the original architecture of the shrine. Being built high up on Mt. Daichi the shrine was close to the heavens and although built to house a multitude of gods it did center around the mountain god Yama-no-Kami. But with the fall of Shintoism in the ninth century, the shrine would fall into disarray until its revival in the town of Karakura near the modern age. In 2004 through great tragedy would strike the shrine leaving it burned and only the main shrine built for Yama-no-Kami.

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
Being born to an Irish father and a Japanese mother I would spend my time bouncing between both places trying to figure out where I belonged in my family. From a young age, I would spend my time working on the fields while making the trek up to the shrine on the weekends. Although I would go with her I would never actually pray and would sit on the benches outside as people walked by giving me weird looks. Having a larger family made it difficult to get my own time and be able to have a chance to learn about my mother's religion and spending a lot of time farming with my dad distracted me more. When I was finally able to start attending school I was already far behind the other students but it didn't stop me from wanting to achieve my goal. Having to work on the farm and attend school made my day very tiresome and it didn't help that I would skip out doing my homework to read books that I had borrowed from the library. Seeing that I was barely passing my parents thought it best I moved in with my uncle in the city. So at the young age of 11 I was sent off to live with my uncle in a larger city. No longer having to work on the farm and with a strict family I was forced into taking extra classes and enrolling in a cram school, but the only thing that ever crossed my mind was reading more about my mom's side of the family. So as I finally got my grades back up after months of cram school I was finally able to start reading the books again my uncle believed for once that my grades were satisfactory. Turning 18 I had decided to drop out of school and give my hand at becoming staff for a family shrine, being denied by a few though I set my bar lower applying to work as a cleaning boy for one. After working there for the majority of my 20s I was able to gain a lot of invaluable knowledge that I have. Allowing me to move up and become a priest I worked endlessly on my knowledge but soon enough the shrine had closed leaving me stranded, with nowhere else to turn I decided to move in with my only family left in Japan, here in karakura. Struggling and not knowing what to do they would push me daily trying to get me to leave my shell and apply for the town shrine. So after months of being scared, I decided to give it a try.

LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
Dear whoever it may concern,

Good evening prestigious shrine staff and the shrine leader, my name is Fumihiro a small town worker. I have written to you today is hops this reaches you as I have been sent with a quarrel. After years of working for a family shrine they had it closed down due to the family moving and not wanting to leave become the only resemblance of a family I have I decided to stay and search for employment elsewhere. I am sending this letter out of good faith in that you may have a position open that I know I am suited for. While I may not have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to public shrines I can assure you without a single doubt in my mind that I will do great things for the city shrine and can help to keep it beautiful and prestigious.

Yours truly,
Fumihiro

Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the Shrine?

Before entering the shrine a person must cleanse themselves and this will involve three parts to it. They must first clean their mouth and then clean their hands, finally, they will hang a wooden tablet up with their prayer on it. All three of these must be done before entering the shrine.

How are rituals to a Kami preformed?
The rituals involve a longer process than praying in Christianity or Judaism but can be done easily nonetheless. When entering you will first ring the bell and offer up either rice or money to summon the Kami, afterward, you will bow and clap twice to welcome the Kami and then you will bow once more before beginning your prayer, repeating the same steps after and bowing and clapping twice more when ending your prayer.

What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?

Like most religions the job of the priest and maiden is caretaking and guidance, you will protect the shrine making sure that it stays orderly and clean while also making sure that no damage is to come to any part of the shrine. You will also help guide those who have come to pray to answer their questions about how it is done, showing them where the shrine is, and the grounds surrounding it. You are also a big marketing tool for the religion so making sure to be kind of respectful to all those enter spreads a positive message to everyone.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:
Protection and special blessings are sought for a new child. An infant is taken for a shrine visit about one month after birth. During this visit, the child is dressed in a colorful kimono and presented to the family’s ujigami (patron Kami). This miyamairi (shrine visit) typically entails prayers chanted by the priest while one of the shrine maidens performs a sacred dance and gives the child a blessing. Togo) Shichi-Go-San is a festival on November 15th of each year. This festival is an opportunity for a young child to return to the family’s ujigami to offer thanks for the protection provided and to pray for continued protection. This is done by girls at the ages of 3 and 7, and boys at the age of 5.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:
First I would start out with the history of the religion and it going back all the way to the first Emporer and his daughter being seen as the first Kami to come into existence. Getting into the main parts of the religion Kami inhabit everything in the world and a lot of them are drawn as animals and interpreted as animals as well in plays and movies. A few of the large ones are Hachiman, Inari, Tenjin, and Fujin. Each one has its own specific goal for the world. While there isn't a leader of the Kami they do have one that created the universe and is seen as the leader of the Kami. The Kami are prayed to by people at shrines like this one where they will follow the rules of prayer and cleanse themselves before entering the shrine. Following the steps for cleansing we are now permitted to enter the sacred grounds and the shrine can be found in the center where the giant bell is located. When praying to the Kami we must follow the correct steps to greet and welcome the Kami before beginning our prayer.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?
Hachiman

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you haven't already, go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Priest role (make sure to include your age) or DM rini#0001 to get your role

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread