players online

[ITAKO] Shrine Application | rikayo

Rika

Level 70
rikayo
rikayo
Omega

NOTE |
Most of the information below has been gained through a variety of sources I’d found online, if any of it proves to be false I’m 100% a-okay with overlooking the correct information needed ; as well as this, most of the answers in italics are provided from an in-character standpoint.

Out-Of-Character (OOC) Information

IGN:

tokyovibes (rikayo, fatlesbo are my alts)

DISCORD TAG:
rika#6551

PREVIOUS BANS:
I wouldn’t really consider this on my history at this point due to the time ago, however basically around 5 or so years ago I was banned for advertising as soon as I first joined; really I’ve gone to do things such as becoming a member of community teams, factions, etc. so I hope this will be looked over here as well.

DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS:
Yes, I 100% do ; I should be able to have one with or without being on my PC

POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
I’m applying to become an Itako.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
Currently, most of my activity does reside on my main account rikayo, where I’m in a variety of clubs and associations. I place around 5+ hours a day into this account on average, although it does waver depending on the weekday/weekend. I’m currently not active on the account I’m applying with I’ll admit, though, that is due to the fact that I want to save this account for this position and upcoming character if accepted; I can promise at least half of my activity can be dedicated to this account if and when accepted. I’m available through discord, however, almost at a constant rate as long as I’m not asleep.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGION?
I’m going to be pretty transparent about the fact I’ve never gone through a heavy study of it, though, I’ve gone through plenty of articles and research to provide the basics of what I should be aware of. I don’t want to write an entire essay here as it is just things I’ve taken from research, though, I can say that I’m aware of the fact they worship Kami and have a very idealization towards nature; in which a lot of their celebrations are surrounded by, alongside seasonal happenings. I’ve also thoroughly looked through the aspects of every position held at a Shinto Temple, which I think should be able to have some sort of aid. I’m fully aware I’m going to need to be more knowledgeable about this area if accepted, which is kind of what a motivator for applying is to me.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
Even without me having no prior experience in this area, I do have a firm belief I can be placed into a major aspect of activity and representation of the Monastery; there are a few contributing factors for my regard to believing this, which I’ll explain just slightly. One of the first things I want to mention is the dedication I can have placed into this role and raising it’s activity; after researching the religion, as well as specifically the Itako role, I see a wide variety of opportunities that can be claimed from being placed into this position. I can basically guarantee that I will provide the utmost activity I can if accepted, as I really do think I could strive in getting engaged with roleplaying in this role. I may not be the most knowledgeable now, sure, though I’m certain it wouldn’t take long to become dedicated to applying more effort into learning more in this area.

In-Character Information

FULL NAME:

Tomoe Kitashirakawa

WHAT IS YOUR AGE?:
Twenty-one.

WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“ Well, I can’t say that I have always known my fate would lead me here, though I’ve heard a range of happenings here that'd put me in a position where I felt the urge to ‘apply’ to work here as an Itako. I’ve previously been an Itako for the past few years of my life, just not within this temple, outside of Karakura. I feel as if why I am really applying here, now, is simple if you look towards it. My presence will become a huge benefactor, in which I have no doubt about. “

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
“ As I’ve previously stated, I have not resided in this town for long, though a monastery farther from here. Though, to the knowledge I’ve gathered from my experience, I’m aware of the unlikeable sides of its history and what now resides here. I do not want to place negative beliefs here, though, I want to see it yet again flourish.”

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
Tomoe, a Japanese female born within the month of April, was the daughter of the Kitashirakawa couple Kimi and Isao; a couple that resided within the outskirts of Karakura itself. It wasn’t known until the age of four what was really wrong with Tomoe, at least until an unfortunate arise of events that led to the hereditary disorder a variety of her ancestors had that caused them blindness throughout their lives. For the most part, after this diagnosis, the girl was mostly shielded from the outside due to overall fear ; of course, this was relatively past the period of time where blind women were killed, though due to one of the girls’ great aunts being killed for this reason they were heavily resistant to place her under the same risk. The family heavily resided under the Shinto religion, and in which time, had a heavy impact within Tomoe’s life.
Her grandmother, being one of the few Itako throughout Japan, eventually began to encourage the same route for the girl -- which took a long, long time of confinement to her guardians before allowing the girl to do the studies and training over her actual schooling, which the girl actually never went to. All of her knowledge was homeschooled and the basics, along with what she would need to know in order to lead under her grandmother's steps and wedding.
It wasn’t until the girl was fifteen that she began to undergo being placed to an actual temple -- after already preparing for the past three, four years now, it was still a surprise to the most that the “gift” the girl carried with her was still being passed through her family. This did arouse an amount of confusion to others, as well as an overall jab at the girls devotion and legitimacy due to the history of the term. Though, it did not take much time for them to eventually learn to adapt to the girl -- and this did stay as the girl's duty until she hit the age of 21, in which led her to coming to Karakura -- after learning of the incidents that had occurred within the city, and being notified by a citizen years later after the fire, the mention of the god that’d be resided in the Monastery led her to flee to the structure after the extended period of time.

LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
" To whomever this may concern, I am greeting you to reside in the position of the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery Itako. I do not wish to burden you with a lengthy, unruly tale of what has led me to my actions, though I can provide my utmost interest and devotion towards this position. My interest has peaked towards this, with a condolence of reasons, which have been passed to me ear-to-ear from others. If I were to be placed as a member of this establishment, I will provide what I can to the community, and I hope to prove so in the future.

Respectfully, Tomoe Kitashirakawa "

Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the shrine?

When approaching the shrine, the first thing you must do is show a sign of respect with a bow, both greeting the deities and gaining approval to enter, before you pass through the unjust-center into the area of the chozuya; here, you will have to use a spoon-shaped ladle to scoop a generous amount of water, specifically with your right hand, to then pour a small amount of water into your left palm, then into your right. Furthermore, in part of the purification, you bring a left palm of the water to your lips before yet again rinsing that palm off.
Before placing it back, the ladle must be held to a degree to allow the remaining water to drizzle off - before being placed back for other visitors to use.

How are rituals to a Kami performed?
There are a variety of ways to perform a ritual to a Kami, however, I’ll be providing the response to the most common and popularized area;
After undergoing the purification, in order to submit a prayer, you must bow two times before ringing the bell in a similar pattern, in which a clasp of your hands should follow as well. Once completed, your hands should rest in a prayer position, your fingers completely straight as your palms press together. Once finishing the prayer, you have to bow once more.

What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?
A Shrine Priest, and Maiden (Miko), are a range of priests under Shinto shrines.
Miko’s are often given the tasks of performing ritual dances, exorcisms, as well as selling items such as Omamori, Blessed Lanterns, etc. from the shrines. Their main tasks are often to aid in the rituals or offerings done by others, or priests.
On the other hand, Shinto Priests are often given the main task of holding the ceremonies and rituals in which the Miko’s aid in.
The general tasks of these positions often are held at ceremonies such as weddings which are a provided service of the monastery, as well as general outlooks in their religion and sharing their knowledge of it. They can provide wishes, and prayers, to be placed on the Ema wall.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:
In order to perform the “Miyamairi”, the ritual must be performed after or on the 31st day after birth for males, 33rd for females. Once confirmed of the timing, a specific wardrobe will be placed onto the priestess before proceeding to stand between the individuals and the altar; A prayer stating the child's name, address, parents names, and the child's birthdate will be done as the tamagushi is swung from right to left. After the prayer is stated, the family attending have to come up one by one and bow, then place their tamagushi to the altar.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:
In simpler terms, due to the fact they most likely aren’t aware of the basics, I’d provide simply just that unless if they’d ask for more; along the lines of below,
Shintoism is the communication of Kami, the ones that represent important things in life, and the ideation that evil is inhabited by negative spirits. Shintoism idolizes Kami for what they are and their generosity towards human beings, believing the positive interactions towards the spirit brings them luck.
Then proceeding if interested, giving them an introduction to common tasks and rituals visitors choose to complete - along with showing them the proper way to complete them, as well as any respective behaviors they should display when on the monastery grounds.

What is the name of the Kami that resides at the Monastery?
Due to the mention of the fire resided in the lore, and the leaving of a variety of deities, the only Kami to reside at the Monastery is Yama-No-Kami.

Last edited:

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you havent already (as we've moved to the Town Discord), go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Miko role (make sure to include your age) ; if no staff are able to assist fill out a form here for staff to get back to you

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread