HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
IGN: HighlightedTwin

DATE:
June 28, 2020

WHAT YOU NEED TO SUGGEST OR MENTION:

A Karakura Court!
Firstly, I would like to mention that having a Court for those who wish to appeal their sentences for jail time or even to handle civil affairs within Karakura would be ideal. Having a clear Judicial System will add on to the actual realism when living in Japan. I strongly believe every person should have a right to speak with a judge in court to appeal their jail sentences, especially for those who have done only but small and/or meaningless crimes.

I am not expecting the suggestion to be implemented immediately or as soon as possible but it would be good to see something like this be implemented slowly. I believe a lot of people would agree that this idea could be an interesting add-on to the server. However, there may be a disagreement about this as you would probably not want SRP to end up becoming more of a CityRP even though in a way it mainly is. Though I am here to say that this idea is giving more opportunities to choose another path after students finish or get tired of the student lifestyle.

Also, not to mention added roles for the server. Specifically having Judges, Lawyers, and a small or large group of people as Jury. Each of these roles has a special purpose within the Judicial system. Obviously the Judge will present the case forward as he/she runs how the trial will go, deciding when the trial begins, managing when evidence is brought in, etc.,. Lawyers will try their best in defending their clients, trying to get as many of the Jury to support their side. The Jury would be the final decision maker of determining whether the person who has committed the crime is found guilty or innocent. Of course, there is a lot more than what I stated here regarding the jobs of each of the roles.

Now if you were worried about how this could possibly be structured or executed please keep reading (thank you for making it this far):

How can the person who committed a crime request for a trial?
When a person gets caught by the police, they cannot immediately request a trial without hearing what the consequences are first. In any case, they can and will be arrested first and sent to jail. At the station, the defendant may request a trial after hearing the time they would have to serve and/or their fine they have to pay.

Once the defendant asks the police to have a trial, they would have to write the request and send it to a Judge with the necessary information about the case and who’s involved. The KCD (Karakura Court Discord) may have a place where people may submit their requests and the Judges may take over them if they wished to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How will we know about Trials happening?
Just like all the other discords being made for each department like Karakura Police and Hospital, there will be a discord made for Karakura Court as well. Within the discord, the Judges will be announcing trial dates and times as well as who’s involved and possibly a small summary of what the case is about.

Either before or after the announcement is made (most likely before), the person involved that has committed the crime would be in search of a lawyer to help defend them. This could be the same for smaller civil affairs dealing with trespassing and such. Until the time of the trial comes, the person who committed the crime will still have to serve their jail time. Once it is time for their trial, they are expected to be there on time. Of course, in SRP they would be allowed to go on a different character in the meantime until the trial happens.
What will happen to the defendant if found guilty?
If the defendant is found guilty, they will face the charges presented and serve a certain amount of time in jail depending on how serious the crime was that was committed. However, it may be possible that if the crime that was committed is very small that only a fine and community service as punishment may be given.

How will people for the Jury be picked?
This is an important question as it is important to understand who can and cannot be part of the Jury. A very unbiased group of people should be chosen as being biased and having favoritism may truly affect how the defendant should be perceived. Of course, like any other role, people are to apply while proving to be an unbiased person. The more active they seem to be on the server the better as the Jury would have to be at almost every Trial that’s being held.

In my opinion, the people of the Jury should only stay in the Jury for a certain amount of OOC time such as half a year or maybe a full year while also having the option to quit. This can give others a chance to also experience it as well and to be able to have their voices and opinions heard with certain trials.

How will Lawyers and Judges be picked?
In regards to a defendant picking a Lawyer, they may choose one that could simply be within their budget if needed. A channel dedicated to requesting for a Lawyer can be made and will be up to the Lawyer to accept the task at hand after knowing about the case. Payment can be talked about before or after the Trial.

As for actually having people be “picked” for the Lawyer position, obviously they will apply for the role. This will also apply to the Judges as well. The Judges, as mentioned before, will be picking the Trials to do through requests, and Judges can be chosen through applications.
Of course, if you do have more questions about this I will gladly answer them and most importantly, I really do not expect this idea to be implemented immediately as it is a huge add-on to the server. Thank you for reading!

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
I believe this has already been tried and scrapped, good idea though
Glad you think it's a good idea and if it has been tried, maybe it hasn't been tried in a certain way or maybe tried at the wrong time? Though I understand if it is a little much to have implemented.

Totalore

Level 138
This was already a thing that got scrapped almost right away. I'm not 100% sure why it got scrapped, but it was pretty unnecessary and prolonged a lot of things.

Good idea, but I'm not too sure if it's a good idea to bring it back

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
This was already a thing that got scrapped almost right away. I'm not 100% sure why it got scrapped, but it was pretty unnecessary and prolonged a lot of things.

Good idea, but I'm not too sure if it's a good idea to bring it back
I understand what you mean by it seems to be prolonged though it doesn't even have to be that way. If anything a trial could mostly last up to 20 OOC minutes, taking at least 1-2 minutes for the judge to present the case, 5 or more minutes for each side to present evidence supporting their side (if there are two sides but just, in general, a whole 10 minutes to convince Jury), and the last few minutes spent with Jury determining if the defendant is found guilty or not. More of a reason as to why Judges should be managing how trials can go so it won't be prolonged for no real reason. As for it being unnecessary, sometimes people are accused for crimes that they either didn't commit or happen to be there at the wrong time. Other times people are jailed for a dumb reason rather than just being let off with a warning or a simple fine. The Judicial system was built and established for that reason. But again I understand if it doesn't work out to be that way and makes you believe that it's unnecessary in the end.

eto

Level 15
Though in theory this may be a good idea, the practicality of it is not ideal. Newer players will not be aware of this system. Far too many people serve crimes. The system is too complicated for this particular roleplay system. With what you stated, someone must ALWAYS be on (Judiciary wise).

Totalore

Level 138
Though in theory this may be a good idea, the practicality of it is not ideal. Newer players will not be aware of this system. Far too many people serve crimes. The system is too complicated for this particular roleplay system. With what you stated, someone must ALWAYS be on (Judiciary wise).
^

Also will need to account for the time it will take to actually set things up. No one can be on forever so its always going to have to be planned and planning takes longer than expected.

The amount of crimes committed and the amount of people saying "murdering isn't bad let me see my lawyer!" would overwhelm the entire judiciary team.

If anything a trial could mostly last up to 20 OOC minutes,
These are cases. It's a way for someone to defend themselves. It cannot just be done in just twenty minutes. The ones we had before took more than an hour to complete

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
^

Also will need to account for the time it will take to actually set things up. No one can be on forever so its always going to have to be planned and planning takes longer than expected.

The amount of crimes committed and the amount of people saying "murdering isn't bad let me see my lawyer!" would overwhelm the entire judiciary team.

These are cases. It's a way for someone to defend themselves. It cannot just be done in just twenty minutes. The ones we had before took more than an hour to complete
Well, in this case, I guess I can't really argue on how long trials can take. I really believed that Judges can just choose certain cases that would be more serious to cover (which would contradict my idea above) while knowing what consequences were given for the specified crime committed. If the crime that was committed was small yet seems to have an exaggerated consequence then that's something that should or could be looked into by the team. With all the planning that has to take place, of course, it will take long if you are going to take into account at what times people can even be on for the trials. But I really do see your point.

bpnny

Level 20
They first scrapped the Judicial system as the game is focussed around SchoolRP, not CityRP and they'd like to keep it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread