mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

KARAKURA NEWS | Psychiatrists - Emergencies or Therapy?

EnderBubs

Level 58

1708308936875.png

PSYCHIATRISTS - EMERGENCIES OR THERAPY? - Psychiatrists lose the ability to become Paramedic! Why did EMS do this? and Is it Benfical for EMS?

By: Darius Ikemori
02/18/2024

*credit too @6Pancake for coming up with the new title!*

On January 28th, 2024 EMS higher-ups chose to remove all Physchtrists from the paramedic division, despite them having the proper training. They also chose to make it so now only doctors and surgeons could become a paramedic. Why would EMS do this? And is the sudden change better for EMS? I decided to figure out the answers to these questions

WHAT DO PARAMEDICS DO FOR EMS?

Paramedics were a subdivision in EMS which was considered the ‘first responders’. Just like the detective division in KPD, EMS who had the role were still able to conduct their normal day-to-day jobs. For example, if you were a doctor beforehand you would still perform doctor duties, all while performing paramedic duties as well. This was the same for psychiatrists. Before the change, Psychiatrists had the opportunity to become paramedics for EMS after they went through some training and passed it.

An interview with Tsubasa Ikemori, who was also a Paramedic for around a month or two, stated that Paramedics are the first responders of EMS. When asked what they can do those other roles in EMS cannot do she stated and I quote “They get to leave the hospital to respond to calls which none paramedics cannot do. They get to patrol and take other hospital workers on patrols alongside them. Additionally, Paramedics get access to ambulances as well as Midazolam” - Tsubasa Ikemori

She also stated that with the change the number of Paramedics dropped from an estimated of around 15 paramedics, all the way down too around 8

WHY WAS THIS CHANGE MADE IN EMS?

Why would EMS make such a change when a change like this could negatively impact EMS? The thought of having more first responders seems beneficial, especially when they are the only people who can patrol and more. So why would EMS make this choice? An interview with Psychiatrist Clinical Lead, Sunako Kirishiki, who is in charge of the entire Pyschtrist department revealed she helped choose the chance. Below is a conversation between Me and Ms Kirishiki

Darius: “Wonderful, now with that being said did you have an opinion on the removal of psych’s from paramedic?”

Sunako: “Mmm. I do!" Here comes a lot of writing. "I think it was the best choice, psychs focus on a few things involving basic patient care. They know nurse work, and such... Knowing this, its better to leave it to doctors as they have much more knowledge." Held her hands up. "Don't get me wrong, we didn't throw psychs into the situations. Training occured, they studied and learned.. But doctors just have much more experience, that it would only make sense for them to continue this alone....!"

Darius: "Makes sense, so the decision was made as for you felt the pysch department should just stay focused on patients' mental health and such instead of being on the front line?"

Sunako: "So so. I mean.. Mental health falls under the front line too." Chuckled. "Patients come running into the hospital.. Having episodes, moments, panic attacks. We do a lot more than just therapy sessions and evals. Alongside, we help prep things for the doctor- Such as connect the patients to an IV, blood bag, etc... So when they come, rushing in, things will be ready for them to get started!"

WAS THIS CHANGE BENEFICIAL FOR EMS?

Though the choice had proper reasoning behind it, did the choice affect the paramedics or EMS at all when it came to responses and injuries? After discussing with Sunako a bit more, she stated that it didn't! There were still enough paramedics at the time to ensure the safety of the citizens, as well as with the new wave of doctors coming there will be even more to come

Though this choice was a choice made by all higher-ups and one that had a more positive impact on EMS, how do pysch’s feel about it? An interview with Moriko
Kudo, a Pysch, and an ex Paramedic were conducted to get her viewpoint on it

HOW DOES PYSCH’S FEEL ABOUT THE CHANGE?

Moriko Kudo, who was a paramedic for around a month, stated and I quote
“"Well, in a way I completely understand it! Though we did do the training and everything we couldn't exactly do what a paramedic should besides keep them stable till we arrived at the hospital.. Even then, all a Psychiatrist could do was set up an IV or fix small things.. Yes we could patrol the city and whatnot but that was really all. And, in a way, we were taking up spots that the newer doctors that could do the job FULLY couldn't get. So in my opinion i-
completely get it. The newest doctors we have now have a chance to become paramedics and I find that amazing! So in not mad about it, even if I had the training!" - Moriko Kudo

To sum it up, she feels the change was for the better as now there are more spots for doctors who can do more for the paramedic division and citizens
With all that being said, it seems EMS choice was better for EMS, the Paramedic subdivision, and Psychiatrists all around. Though in the end, it's up to you the citizen to decide if it was for the better or the worse

Do you have something you'd like to report or be reported on? Call the Reporter Hotline at (020) 980-4487, message us on Onrain @KaNews, or contact me personally at 030-957-9652

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread