mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

KARAKURA NEWS | WHIZFEED: The Rise In Gyaru Fashion!

AllenBUwU

Level 83
AllenBUwU
AllenBUwU
Notable

Have you ever seen girls walking around with bleach blonde hair, many accessories, unique makeup, and creative clothes? There is a very good chance they were part of the up-and-coming Gyaru Trend in Karakura!

Alyssa Yasushi, 2024

Before we begin, what even is Gyaru? Well, according to Wikipedia, Gyaru is a Japanese fashion subculture. The initial meaning as a Japanese slang word during the Showa era was similar to the English meaning and referred to a young woman in her late teens to twenties. In the early Showa period, the term Gyaru was also used in a mocking manner towards young women with a "frivolous" lifestyle. The fashion subculture is considered to be nonconformist and a rebelling standard against Japanese social and aesthetic norms, especially back during a time when women were expected to be housewives and fit Asian beauty standards of pale skin and dark hair.

Kogal Outfit, T. Nakajimasmo, 2024

Now, why is this subculture becoming more prominent in Karakura? And what specific types of Gyaru are being seen the most? Well, we decided to reach out to the Gyarus themselves for responses! First we went to the ‘OG’ Gyaru of Onrain herself, @GyaruGirl / Alyssa Yasushi, for answers! As well as some newer faces to Onrain, Touka and Touga Donquixote! Also known as @ToukaGyarudotorg & @RingsAndThings

T. Donquixote, N. Jaibatsume, 2024

Yasushi told us, ‘In all honestly, I don’t know why it’s getting more popular than before. I’ve personally been into it since my early teens, so it’s nothing new to me, but from what I’ve seen, others are starting to take a liking to it as well! Personally, I'm obsessed with the idea of having more Gyaru girlies around .. As for the types Gyaru seen most, I guess Kogal?’

Kogal outfit, M. Oshima, 2024

But what is Kogal? And what are some of the other types? Well, we have an answer to that! Touka Don explained Kogal to be like the ‘beginner’ form of Gyaru, as it uses school uniforms and styles for the clothing. Typically, ages 13-18 use it as those are the ages that are forced to wear the uniforms to school, so using it to be a part of the scheme is nearly crucial. Those who do Kogal typically have bleach-blonde hair, tanned skin, and accessories (And, of course.. The school uniform!). As for Yasushi, she tells us she personally loves embracing Kogal and has a lot of fun with it! To give an example other than herself of what Kogal is, she offered to give someone on the News Team a little Gyaru Makeover!

Nigiri S. Jaibatsume, 2024

As for other types of Gyaru, Touga tells us she doesn't have many examples to show in her wardrobe, but she can give us a visual photo that explains some types! She personally explained that besides Kogal, she enjoys OraOra Gyaru which is a ‘touger’ style of Gyaru that focuses on black clothes and being more rebellious. As for Touka, she stated Agejo Gyaru is her beloved style that came from Ageha Magazine. Though often worn by hostesses, Agejo is meant to be a way to express the love of people, and the attention it brings. Lastly for Yasushi, she told us after high school and college if she had to choose one, she’d go with Ganguro Gyaru which is considered the older style of Gyaru, often resembling Western fashion from the 2000s!

Pinterest, 2024

After speaking with these ladies, we went to Onrain to see what other people are into the trend and what types of Gyaru are being worn and embraced! Based on the few responses we did receive, Kogal seemed to be the most common.

Onrain post, 2024

While researching Gyaru, it was learned that there's actually a connection between Gyaru and the Delinquents of Karakura! Seen both here and in Mainland Japan, it seems there is some sort of bond between the two subcultures. Often seen hanging around one another and or looking out for one another. It's believed to be because both have a similar mission, breaking the social norm for one reason or another.

J. D & A. Yasushi, 2024

Do you have something you'd like to report or be reported on? Call the Reporter Hotline at (020) 980-4487, and leave a message at the news station in our anonymous reporting box, or message us on Onrain @KaNews - @WhizFeed

Share this article!

Users who are viewing this thread