players online

Karakura News | Zen Buddhism, Karakura's Zen Garden

Kana

Level 129
ImKana
ImKana
Notable
karakuraszengarden.gif

Hello there Karakura, in today's report we will be examining one of Karakura’s most infamous structures. The Zen Garden! Smack dab in the middle of the Akihito Estate and the Saiky estate lies a beautiful garden filled with captivating greenery, zen ponds, and many traditional Japanese buildings.
First I’ll go over some of the things you can find in the Zen Garden, then I will talk about what a zen garden is, the history of Zen Buddhism, and most importantly, how you can enjoy a calming mindful journey in such a traditional and conciliatory setting.

When you first walk into the Zen Garden from the right-side entrance, you’ll be met with the sight of gorgeous pink sakura trees, and the scent of delicious meat coming from the food stands! There are many booths that display Oni masks, Hannya, and many other traditional items. What stood out to me was the abundance of Maneki-Neko (Lucky Cats for those of you who aren’t familiar).
In a break from the scenery, there is a tall treehouse! Inside contains many mangas, a seating area, and a latter leading to the top of the tree. There are many teahouses, along with a private one off to the side, but tea isn’t the only thing that’s here! On the far left of the garden, there is public housing where you can house yourself for a night or two. Enjoy a traditional overnight experience with your friends, or even alone. Finishing up our structure tour, there is an entrance to the mountain, where you can climb up a large path to several different buildings. Along the walls, many old drawings and dragons are exhibited, further enhancing the experience.

Next, we’ll go into the topic of understanding Zen Buddhism and its history.

What is Zen Buddhism?

To understand Zen Buddhism, you must first understand the history of how it came to be. It originated in early 8th century China, where Buddhists were introduced to the Taoist philosophy. This heavily influenced them, causing the adoption of many new principles and a new method of meditation. Zen Buddhists follow the philosophy of seeing your natural mind. This means that you allow your mind to take the wheel, and let it run its course. To channel this, there is a special meditation called Zazen. There are no steps to Zazen, no rules, all you must do is sit. You let your mind conduct its passage, and many times you’ll find yourself doing it for hours. This meditation ritual is the blood of the Zen religion, and most of it revolves around this practice. To practice Zen is to practice your self-control, you must push back your self-desires and achieve perfect harmony.

Finally, we’ll move into the topic of Zen Gardens.

What is a Zen Garden?

A Zen Garden is a type of dry garden which originated from Zen Buddhism over 2,000 years ago. While originally made specifically for Zen Buddhist practice, it has become something that people, religion or not, build all across the world! There are many possibilities when you have such a comfortable garden, though the maintenance may be a bit much, it’s all worth it when you get to sit and relax. The best thing about them is they can be used for anything! Whether you want to look at them, do Zen Buddhism practice, or even lay by the beautiful pond, all of it is beneficial to you. I encourage you to use the Zen Garden as a place of meditation, but you may use it any way you please.

Karakura’s Zen Garden is currently owned and built at the will of Mayor Mike Akihito. It’s an extension of the beautiful and revered Akihito Estate that has currently been made for public use! We must thank Mayor Akihito for such a lovely tourist spot right here in Karakura.

How can you enjoy the Zen Garden to its fullest?

The Zen Garden is a stunning place, there is much to do. An obvious one would be to drink tea by yourself, enjoying the dashing aroma of the flowers as you do so. That’s a great option, but there is vastly more to be done at such a special location! Try indulging in Zen Buddhist meditation yourself, take a seat in one of the many teahouses, or even in the grass. Sit and allow your mind to run its course, Zen meditation can be done by anyone. It is one of the most soothing activities one can do, and it’s very healthy for the mind. Outside of this, you can host a traditional tea ceremony. Invite your friends, put on your favorite kimono, and enjoy the formalities of traditional matcha tea. Wanna try something new? Try Sakura tea leaves, and make fun with your experience.

Lastly, I’ve obtained a short interview with a priest from the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, Usugurai Koyanagi. Here I will go into some questions about the Zen Garden, and how it differs from the Shinto shrine.

Recording Started.

NK: Hello there Karakura, I'm here with Usugurai Koyanagi to ask some questions regarding the Zen Garden! Let’s get started. . What do you currently know about the Zen Garden?

UK: Hello! Ah- the Zen Garden? I know that it was constructed by the Akihito family as a place for peace and a magnet for calming energies.​

NK: Indeed! Do you believe that the Zen Garden doesn't get as much attention as the shrine? If so, do you think this is a good or a bad thing?

UK: Hmm.. Interesting question. I believe it's both good and bad for the place- It isn't visited nearly as much which is honestly a bit sad, but then again I am glad not everyone in the town wants to go there you know?. . If anything it'd make the place less calming if everyone went there all the time.​

NK: Wow! That is surely an intriguing way to put it, I haven't thought of it that way. . As a shrine priest, you believe in spirits, correct?

UK: Why of course! I shouldn't dive in too deep but from a young age, I have always had either a connection or interactions with the supernatural. It'd be foolish to assume spirits don't exist. I mean where would we be today if Amaterasu-Omikami was never around?​

NK: That's great! I see that you must enjoy your occupation then. Since I've confirmed you do believe in the supernatural, how about the Zen Garden? Do you think there may be spirits that inhabit those grounds?

UK: Mhm! There are definitely spirits living there, if not- then at least kami of sorts, just like the one here at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. Also, like the Monastery, the spirits both here and at the Garden are. . For the most part- harmless.​

NK: That's quite interesting. . Do you know how people should respect these spirits when attending an area such as the Shrine or the Zen Garden?

UK: Well first- I'd suggest always paying your respects to the front gate at the entrance of our shrine, being the one down at the base of the mountain. One should always bow before entering a torii. Next, purify yourself at the cleaning chouzuya- or that little 'sink' as one may call it. I'd also suggest being quiet and respectful whilst being on shrine grounds to not upset the Kami. . One could also make a 5 yen offering, these are typically seen as good luck charms- which pleases the gods when offered.​

NK: I see, so would you encourage or discourage people to get in touch with these spirits. . if that's possible.

UK: I'd encourage positive interactions with such- Never being disrespectful in the face of a yokai. At all. Positive interactions with the gods would never do anyone harm, as long as they aren't rude or greedy. In fact, many of the malevolent yokai's weaknesses are being polite- taking the kappa for example. . It can't move if the gap in its head runs out of water- all you need to do is bow before it, and it would bow back, spilling all the water from its head!​

NK: Woah! That's really cool, that'll be all for today. Thank you so much for your cooperation with this, I've learned a lot today, and I hope everyone listening has as well.

Recording Stopped.

That’s all folks, this was Reporter Nobuyuki Kurihara from Karakura News. I hope you enjoyed this report!

Sporkmoment

Level 20
Sporkmoment
Sporkmoment
Notable
LOVELY. AMAZING. NEVER SEEN BEFORE-

also, the zen garden was my main and her now fiance's first date spot, so 100% best place ong

V_Is_Fruity101

Level 114
Spacetism
Spacetism
Rich+
Aye, I still want a report on the man who got his leg cut of with a fire axe by my now arrested char (Kuga) and Pavel Ichibangase. It needs to be read about

RexLobo

Level 99
Lore Coordinator
Teacher Lead
RexLobo
RexLobo
Omega+
I actually loved this report. It's amazing! I love the Zen Garden, so I love that you brought more attention to it!

Users who are viewing this thread