kustomzero

Level 145
UrAJinx
UrAJinx
Omega
What's your Minecraft Username?: UrAJinx
What's the title of your suggestion?: Limit OOC to Staff Only

What's your suggestion?:
From the title you can already have an idea about what this suggestion is well.. suggesting. Limiting the OOC chat to staff members only. The main reason I'm suggesting this is SRP is a roleplay focused server, however, as the years went by the solely purpose of this began to decline. More people began to talk in OOC rather than focusing on roleplays itself. Yes, SRP is a social platform but for primary roleplay purposes only and for the focus of it. I'm sure the players can agree with me that back in the good server days where SRP where was at its peak we rarely saw OOC being used- instead everyone was focus on their roleplays and developments. Personally, I feel like half of the players get on just to talk in OOC than roleplay. Which is why I believe OOC should be limited to staff members only to announce important things such as the server restarting, events, or anything else that's deemed necessary. Lately, OOC hasn't been known for its best reputation- which can be said more in Yonio's forum post. Discord for this community is used for a reason, if players want to socialize rather then roleplay then they are more than welcomed to speak in these community Discord servers or even DMs or through the server friend list chat function.

Limiting Staff to OOC only will help restore a good portion of the immersive and focus of roleplaying.
- As I stated earlier, the SRP server was created as a primary focus to roleplaying. After all it does have the word School Roleplay in it.
- OOC has been well consistent and excessive for as long as I can remember. I do know that /ooc off is a thing however, even with that command it doesn't help that half of the community only gets on to socialize to speak in OOC and chatter.
- There's already been a decline in roleplay and with those who have been with the server for a long time or since the beginning of the server can agree with this. With OOC being the dominant focus- at least thats what it feels like and what I've noticed- can cause these long-term players to feel demotivated just to get on the server when there is rarely roleplay happening. It's most likely another reason why we don't see players approaching random players to be friends with one another like how it was in the past- because they're either focused on talking in OOC or they're AFK (which AFK is not a problem life happens).
- When new players join it's already hard enough as it is to fit in or learn how the server works. New players join the server almost everyday because they see the words Roleplay in the servers title its another reason why OOC should be limited to staff members only. It makes the new players have hard time for them to be engaged with the server and roleplay if there are people just talking in OOC rather than running around the server and chatting ICLY. This most likely gives the idea to the newer players that more people focus on the OOC chat rather than roleplay itself.

As a disclaimer I'm not saying that everyone puts their primary focus on OOC nowadays. This is just from my observation of the server over the years I've been here that it feels like OOC has became the primary focus.

How will this benefit the server and community?:
With my reasons stated above limiting staff members to speaking in OOC only will hopefully revive the primary focus of roleplay like how it was when the server first launched.

Feel free to leave your feedback. This suggestion was not intended to target people instead it was bringing up an observation and opinions on my behalf.

I also want to apologize if this is worded poorly as I'm half awake.

Popo

Level 64
DarkxWalker
DarkxWalker
Notable
Don't put it at the fault of the players to remove access for OOC. Ultimately, we would be the first and only roleplay server on Minecraft's platform to limit access to just staff members. Yes, some people may only join just to interact with others via chat. However, if we remove that, we also remove a, subjectively, significant portion of SchoolRP's retention rates.

Your mindset is extremely flawed unfortunately, and I hate to say it this way. People won't roleplay just because you took away one medium where they can interact with the whole server, in fact, that will just ruin it even more at least from my perspective.

Mo!

Level 17
Helper
sunsetskies_
sunsetskies_
Omega+
OOC is there for all players and Staff to communicate and have fun. SRP is about roleplay yes, but it's also about connecting as a community and making friends, if you take away the player aspect and only give it to staff, no ones going to have fun or be able to communicate. If you don't want to see OOC you can always disable it by doing /ooc ! I always enjoy seeing players interact with each other in OOC as well as interacting with Staff, of course there are limits regarding how fast players respond in OOC depending on their ranks and the perks coming with them.

If us staff spot something happening in OOC, it is always acted upon and the player can be punished for misusing OOC or acting inappropriate, this is why we are very stern on reading /rules before you begin speaking within the community so everyone has fun together!

Gunna!

Level 102
Veganlaser
Veganlaser
Omega
-1 OOC is the funniest shit when poeple know how to be funny and no one is not roleplaying because of OOC it’s the lack of content and ideas, spark up something with your friends and get something going, That’s like
Blaming someone for not for driving their car because they got a motorcycle, not my fault the motorcycles faster

Last edited:

Hirathex

Level 311
Senior Admin
Black Market Lead
Police Lead
Hirathex
Hirathex
Omega+

As said above, the issue more so lies with the small percentage of players who say things for shock value and a reaction from others in OOC. We try our best to take care of it when it happens (Mo's response sums it up pretty well)

SRP is a roleplay server, but it's also a social server. Removing OOC wouldn't cause people to roleplay more (and if anything, people use LOOC more to talk anyways) and it takes away from the fun of being able to talk to others. I think the issue of people not starting roleplay with each other isn't a product of talking out of character, but more so players preferring to stick to their friend groups

Miamorchito

Level 31
Miamorchito
Miamorchito
Omega+

Why would you do that? If you do not want to see OOC chat, then /OOC (I know it is broken, but I am referring to normal circumstances).

_ImHere4You_

Level 50
_ImHere4You_
_ImHere4You_
Rich

OOC as stated, is meant for communication across the entire server. Not only there to send super important messages. People ask for help in OOC, chat, connect and so on and forth. plus, its genuinely one of teh most hilarious things there is. There are times where i just get on to speak on OOC and not roleplay, (maybe I'm under the weather or don't feel like roleplaying)

_ImHere4You_

Level 50
_ImHere4You_
_ImHere4You_
Rich
-1 OOC is the funniest shit when poeple know how to be funny and no one is not roleplaying because of OOC it’s the lack of content and ideas, spark up something with your friends and get something going, That’s like
Blaming someone for not for driving their car because they got a motorcycle, not my fault the motorcycles faster
I AGREE
it is literally one of teh funniest things there is , it's amazing

Customable

Level 144
Administrator
School Clubs Lead
Media Team
Customable
Customable
Omega+
We are a community, we inspire interaction, friendship and collaboration.

whilst your points of wanting the server to be more roleplay based are valid, this will not drive people to roleplay but will drive them to instead leave the server.

it sounds drastic but this is the unfortunate truth.

jaaaayla

Level 223
Council Lead
Jaeyla
Jaeyla
Fundraiser+

Even if OOC were removed from the player base, it would be replaced with an alternative. When you limit talk or discussion for a group, they will find an alternative place to speak; it's human nature. On another note, I like talking to people in OOC. I think we tend to forget that this is just a game, and we should not try to force people into playing a game, how we want them to play.

urufu

Level 7
Urrufu
Urrufu
Rich+
What's your Minecraft Username?: UrAJinx
What's the title of your suggestion?: Limit OOC to Staff Only

What's your suggestion?:
From the title you can already have an idea about what this suggestion is well.. suggesting. Limiting the OOC chat to staff members only. The main reason I'm suggesting this is SRP is a roleplay focused server, however, as the years went by the solely purpose of this began to decline. More people began to talk in OOC rather than focusing on roleplays itself. Yes, SRP is a social platform but for primary roleplay purposes only and for the focus of it. I'm sure the players can agree with me that back in the good server days where SRP where was at its peak we rarely saw OOC being used- instead everyone was focus on their roleplays and developments. Personally, I feel like half of the players get on just to talk in OOC than roleplay. Which is why I believe OOC should be limited to staff members only to announce important things such as the server restarting, events, or anything else that's deemed necessary. Lately, OOC hasn't been known for its best reputation- which can be said more in Yonio's forum post. Discord for this community is used for a reason, if players want to socialize rather then roleplay then they are more than welcomed to speak in these community Discord servers or even DMs or through the server friend list chat function.

Limiting Staff to OOC only will help restore a good portion of the immersive and focus of roleplaying.
- As I stated earlier, the SRP server was created as a primary focus to roleplaying. After all it does have the word School Roleplay in it.
- OOC has been well consistent and excessive for as long as I can remember. I do know that /ooc off is a thing however, even with that command it doesn't help that half of the community only gets on to socialize to speak in OOC and chatter.
- There's already been a decline in roleplay and with those who have been with the server for a long time or since the beginning of the server can agree with this. With OOC being the dominant focus- at least thats what it feels like and what I've noticed- can cause these long-term players to feel demotivated just to get on the server when there is rarely roleplay happening. It's most likely another reason why we don't see players approaching random players to be friends with one another like how it was in the past- because they're either focused on talking in OOC or they're AFK (which AFK is not a problem life happens).
- When new players join it's already hard enough as it is to fit in or learn how the server works. New players join the server almost everyday because they see the words Roleplay in the servers title its another reason why OOC should be limited to staff members only. It makes the new players have hard time for them to be engaged with the server and roleplay if there are people just talking in OOC rather than running around the server and chatting ICLY. This most likely gives the idea to the newer players that more people focus on the OOC chat rather than roleplay itself.

As a disclaimer I'm not saying that everyone puts their primary focus on OOC nowadays. This is just from my observation of the server over the years I've been here that it feels like OOC has became the primary focus.

How will this benefit the server and community?:
With my reasons stated above limiting staff members to speaking in OOC only will hopefully revive the primary focus of roleplay like how it was when the server first launched.

Feel free to leave your feedback. This suggestion was not intended to target people instead it was bringing up an observation and opinions on my behalf.

I also want to apologize if this is worded poorly as I'm half awake.

Users who are viewing this thread