WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:

US EST (UTC -5)

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

Several hours a day - Several days a week

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:

Shrine Maiden

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

I am well versed educated on the principles and foundational beliefs of Shintoism. I have consulted a large number of sources and have talked with religious experts on Eastern Religions, and in particular, Shinto! I am eager to learn more about the religion, and I will share in essay format about what I have gathered about the way of Shintoism. A multifaceted religion and way of life, Shintoism is an intertwined religious discipline that revolves around the worship of Kami - 神 , ("Gods" or "Spirits"). Additionally, Shintoism adheres to humans possessing harmony - 和 (literal translation, harmonious) and purity - 常若 (always young) as a tether to nature. It has been an essential cultural component for Japan for hundreds of years, undergoing vast developments in its identity and how it is practiced.

Initially, much of Shintoism emerged from the beliefs of the indigenous people, especially with the ties with human spirituality and the importance of ancestors. Honoring the deceased and recognizing that there is an important tie between nature and spirituality is one of the principles of Shintoism. Many early principles reflect animism, pertains to all non-living things having some spiritual relevance in some way. Japan's wild landscapes of mountainous ranges and large, flowing rivers and islands make it easy to understand that its early inhabitants would find divine value in its natural wonders. Eventually, around the 6th century, Buddhism would become heavily intertwined with Shintoism, a belief system that still exists in Japan today.

The main practices of Shintoism not only serve to provide harmony and purity, but to worship Kami, praise ancestry, and to participate in religious ceremonies. For instance, when a person is born, a Shrine rite of passage (宮参り) is performed. Similarly, upon death or marriage, other ceremonies are either celebrated or mourned with the public, tying a community together. Furthermore, when a person of public significance dies, they can become Kami, which are the central figures of Shintoism. Kami are the divine (mythological, spiritual, and intangible) figures of Shintoism, and are the powers of nature that govern our world. There are millions of Kami's, ranging from the tallest mountains of Japan, to the smallest pebble on a street corner. They symbolize the energy of the universe (結び), and possess traits of both good and evil. They exist in a dimension separate from our own, and many followers of Shintoism strive to be in harmony with the Kami.

In the context of Shrine's and Shintoism as a religion, there are several types of followed Shinto. Shrine Shinto, or Jinja Honchō, is the most important Shinto to Karakura, as the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery follows the practice of Shrine beliefs and customs. Emphasizing the role that Shrine's have within worship, many of the religious and mature customs originate within Shrine Shinto, such as worship, purification, rites of passage, and offerings. Additionally, there are other types of Shinto that is still practiced, including Koshitsu Shinto (imperial family), Sect Shinto (region specific practices of Shintoism), and Folk Shinto (beliefs of the common-people pertaining to Shinto, including customs and festivals).

I am eager to learn more about Shintoism and its many practices, customs, and history!

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

I am deeply fascinated by the beliefs of Shintoism, and my work ethic and passion makes me a very stand-out candidate for the position. I am eager to spread the word of Shinto and enrich others ICly and OOCly with the spiritual peace and wonder what the religion brings to our lives. I take genuine care and joy with my research, and I believe that I can serve the Shrine to a great degree of benefit, as I have many years of experience with writing and role-playing. I am familiar with events and detail RPing, and I am a genuinely passionate person when it comes to RP and flourishing lore and writing. I hope to bring new elements of activity and RP to the table when it comes to working with the Shrine, and I believe I can be amicable and easy to get along with.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

Yes

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Dolores "Lola" Lin
(Lola Lin)

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Ms.

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Unmarried

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:

Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:

+81 (030)-113-3496

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

"My life has been filled to the brim with trials and tribulations. Following the poor experiences I have endured during my upbringing, I wish to enrich my life and deepen my spiritual connection with nature, and to rehabilitate other lost souls of Karakura who lack the inner peace within their own lives. I have always been searching for a deeper meaning, and religiously asked myself who I wanted to be- yet I never found any solace in who I was, and who I was becoming. I battled a very deep depression and indelible sadness in my heart for many years, and I was chronically tortured by my own internal machinations. Within recent years, I began visiting the Monastery after my father recommended me to go on a hike to 'rejuvenate myself.' I found myself awestruck by the natural wonders of the mountain, and being an insatiably curious academic, I spoke to several of the Maiden's about the nature of the Shrine, Shinto, and well, what it all means! As a child, I have always been enchanted by the rich tapestry and high walls of the Shrine, and I was willing to take a chance. Following my visit, I was engorged with information, and spent weeks at the school library glossing over text titles, and scouring the thousands of words about the life of Shinto. Learning and applying Shinto principles, customs, and beliefs to my own life struck a chord within my soul, and plucked the tangled string of chaos within my heart to a note of peaceful harmony. I realized that I have purpose in this natural world, and that the natural wonder of the world that captivates my attention to beauty is enshrined with spiritual essence that we should all strive to be as pure. My eyes continue to glisten with joy, passion, and profound respect and admiration for Shinto. After spending years of my development devoting my life to studying the history, customs, and nature of Shinto, I feel not only in touch with my own spirit and the natural world, but I possess the unwavering desire to bless others with peace and harmony. In equal intention, I plan on deepening my own personal connection with the spiritual realm.

I intend to bridge the spiritual connection between Kami and the people who seek their guidance and blessings. I commit myself to to upholding the principles of purity, respect, and harmony that the Shrine workers are blessed with. I intend to partake in each ritual with reverence, precision, and a genuine desire to contribute positively to the shrine's atmosphere."

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
"Well, let me consult the deepest reaches of my knowledge! The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery was built in 744 by Buddhist monks, purposefully placed on the precipice of the mountains as to deepen the connection with nature that the sacred Shrine held. It houses a myriad of different settings, including living quarters, a gift shop, a dojo, tea house, natural scenery/viewing locations, torii gates, and the hall of worship. The hall of worship houses an offering box, where 100 yen is inserted (賽銭), and a bell to alert Kami of incoming prayer. If I recall correctly, the Shrine was devastated twice by fire, once in 1176 by rebellion, and another in 1578 as a means to threaten Karakura. It is survived by the new monastary constructed 38 years later in 1617, and an old Shrine structure, which reportedly survived fire due to its close proximity to the Kami, or Shintai (神体).

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
"Dear Monastery Lead,

Good morning, afternoon, or evening. I hope this letter finds you well. My name is Lola Lin, and I am a student of the high school. I am a rigorous, curious academic, and I hope my writings present to you good will and blessing. I wish to express my most sincere and deep intentions in enriching my life and the lives of others with the harmonious and beautiful song of Shinto. For years, I have found myself tripping over my constant fascination and awe with the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. Its cultural and religious significance eclipses much of Karakura, and I am on a personal journey to rehabilitate those in Karakura who are lost, and to deepen our connection with the aniministic nature of Kami.

I come from a family of hard-workers who set aside the emotional value of family, and instead pursue pure hard work and material. I do not like this. Much of our lives on earth is not an appeal to logic, but rather an appeal to emotion. I wish to compose a new story for myself, and the countless and innumerable others of Karakura who have suffered a challenging development when growing up. Shinto embues our soul with purity, brings peace to our mind, and harmony to our hearts. It is my intention to share this powerful love, intertwined with Kami and the blessings of nature, as to enrich and empower the lives of those who are struggling and astray.

Sincerely,
Dolores Lin
"

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Lola Lin, born Dolores Lin, was born in international, maritime waters. Much of her life was spent with exchanging custody between her mother and father in Hawaii. As a child, she found herself insatiably fascinated with the wonders of the natural world, and would never stop to ask herself why she always said "Why?" She spent much of her childhood assisting her mother with farm activites, such as the grueling work of picking fruit and reaping the sow of crops in the blazing, suffocating heat of the humid sunshine. After a hard day of work, her mother, or her mamá, promised her much attention and affection alongside her other sisters. If Lola was well behaved, she was permitted to go play outside, which was often spent picking insects off of plants and rolling through fields of orchids.
As she matured in age, Lola was given her first non-fiction textbook, one that was scrawled out and decrepit from mould and water damage. Alas, despite the decomposing nature of this generous gift, Lola know that it was all that her family could provide- textbooks are expensive, and the girl wanted one! Thus, she spent restless nights browsing through the book, only able to perceive any words by mirror and moonlight. A happy, brilliant-minded child, Lola was an extremely amicable little girl who loved her family, and her passion for science.
As she continued into her teenage years, she endured a traumatic car accident which claimed the lives of her older sister and her mother, which tore her apart and ripped all passion away from Lola. Unable to operate for weeks, the same passion that Lola found in science and love had been disintigrated, and replaced by only bitter morose, misery, and hate. The once curious and loving girl had become a shell of the person that her family had loved her for years ago. This dramatic shift in Lola's life alterred her physical and mental health dramatically, to the point where close friends and family members struggled to recognize her any longer.
A depraved, desparate Lola turned to drugs and music as a remedy to numb the physical and mental chronic pain she regularly endured since the accident. Her father abruptly took Lola and her family on business trips and 'vacations' around Polynesia, before finally settling in Japan indefinitely. The depressed Lola attempted to place her focus elsewhere from pain and diverted her attention to learning Japanese, along with teaching herself a variety of instruments that she possesses a gifted virtuosity in. Failing to divert her struggles to focus on what she loved, Lola became more and more dependent on the need for pain-killing drugs, before suffering from an overdose. Her father severely punished Lola, and maintained a fraught relationship with her since then. Navigating the haze and struggle, she attempted to divert her attention by hiking and exploring nature. Immediately fascinated by the natural awe of Japan, she became slowly inspired to quit her old habits and pursue a more natural way of life. Although initially being subconsciously suspicious, Lola visited the shrine was largely inspired by the peace and harmony that Shinto indelibly empowers its followers with in their hearts. After months and years of inspiration, her attention was fully focused on the pursuit of Shinto, and she aims to spread the love, peace, purity, and harmony that Shinto brought her to everyone else who struggles and needs solace.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinto Priests and Maidens have a lot of responsibilities, depending on which Shrine that they are at.
神主 (Kannushi) - Priests must conduct the rituals, offerings to Kami, and hosting festivals and ceremonies. They are the central human figures of any shrine, and are responsible for conducting all essential duties. Furthermore, Priests are responsible for being administrators for scheduling of events, and overseeing financial matters. In many cases, Priests also act as teachers, giving spiritual guidance and educate the local community on Shinto and Kami.
巫女 (Miko) - Shrine Maidens often act as assistants to the Priests, but their duties are often much more fleshed out than this. Shrine Maidens greet and assist visitors, commence purification rituals, assist in rituals, keep the shrine clean and pure, and perform many ceremonial dances and festivals (神楽 - Kagura)

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

Upon entry, visitors are greeted with the purification trough, or temizuya. Visitors are to take the provided ladle with their right hand, and scoop up water. Slowly pour the water over the left hand, allowing it to permeate through all crevices, cracks, and surfaces. Then, swap hands, and repeat the process for the right hand. Then, pour water into the cupped left hand, and rinse your mouth with the water to purify the rest of your body. Spit the water out, but not back into the trough. Return the ladle, and ensure that your body is completely dry. Additionally, ensure you bow before entering through a torii gate. It is like passing through into a sacred place.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
Offerings are performed first by people choosing what they wish to offer to the Kami, which can include a variety of different objects of cultural/personal significance, including sake, rice, salt, and personal gifts. Bow, and ring a bell by pulling on a string. This is meant to alert the Kami of your presence and intention to give blessing with an offering. Place the gift, bow, then one must bow twice, clap twice, and speak the prayer as to inform the Kami of one's intentions with the prayer. After bowing with respect and gratitude, the person making the offering respectfully leaves. Additionally, if deemed a necessary component by a shrine, Tamagushi (玉串), a sakaki-tree branch, where is it is used alongside the offering in an honorary and respectul manner.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
The first step is to ensure that the setting is clean and proper. The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery has a Chashitsu (茶室), or tea room, where tea ceremonies will be performed. When a ritual is due to be performed, the layout of the room may be decorated with garment, tapestry, or adorned with ceremonial rugs. All supplies and necessary components are laid out in advance, such as the tea bowl, bamboo chashaku (茶杓), chakin (茶巾) and whisk. Luxury utensils are present. Any guests entering are to leave any unnecessary baggage outside.Guests are welcomed in, and are expected to silently bow with the host as a sign of respect. Guests are expected to cleanse their mouth and hands in order at a tsukubai (蹲踞), or washing station, in a similar fashion to cleansing oneself of impurities upon entering the shrine. Foods are occassionally provided, including light foods such as wagashi and kaishi. A Maiden or Priest shall prepare a tea involving specific measurements of matcha powder and hot water- the measurements depending on the shrine and local customs. Guests are expected to hold the tea bowl with two hands, and to sip slowly and express admiration. The tea is given to each guest in their respective orders.

It is customary for a hanging scroll to be prepared inside the tea room, along with chabana, or tea flower. If a meal is to be prepared alongside the tea ritual, it is referred to as Kaiseki (懐石). This meal is usually prepared with extreme care and delicacy, and a popular choice is wagashi.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Tamagushi - A Sakaki-tree branch, often decorated and adorned with honorary cloth, strips of washi paper, or water. It is used in offerings to Kami, alongside other ritualistic services, such as weddings, funerals, and shrine rituals. To use Tamagushi in a ritual, the branch is held with the leaves resting on the left palm, whilst pinching the stem with the right. When approaching the place of offering, the Tamagushi is raised to the forehead during a bow. Once the bowing is complete, the branch stem is placed on the heart, and after turning the Tamagushi, it is placed on the table, following a bow.

Ofuda - 御札 A talisman, or amulet, that is used to ward off evil spirits and malicious ghosts. It is often made of paper or wood, with religious inscriptions etched into it. It is blessed by a Priest, and often kept in the homes of people to protect the house from evil. Additionally, Ofuda are placed upon household shrines as a form of invitation and protection.

Kagura Suzu - The usage of bells (12) in Kagura dances and festitives, which are often performed by the Miko. The bells fill the air, and evoke the presence of the Kami.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

───────────────────────────────────────
Okuninushi-no-Mikoto

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a maiden, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread