rverofstyx (alternate account)
scialanxjety (alternate account)
ins6neforu (alternate account)

What is your discord username?:
denny2407

What is your time zone?:
Eastern Standard Time (EST)

Describe your activity on the server:
My activity ranges from a day-to-day basis, however, I usually get on at least once a day - between 10:00 AM to 5:00 AM EST.. I have a terrible sleep schedule, I know.. Usually, my time online averages around 6-7 hours across my different accounts, sometimes more, depending on the duties of my main account.

I was going to make a times-table, but my schedule is too inconsistent to do so; some weeks at only 8 hrs, others at 27 hrs. However, a proper schedule can be given at the beginning of each week, and days can be booked off in advance if need be.

List your current roles on the server:
m6dforu
xanaxiety
cr6zyforu
heurtbreak
rverofstyx
scialanxjety
ins6neforu
Grade-8 (by choice)
College-Swim Captain
College-B
Dog
Fox
Cat
Raccoon
Grade-9
The rest are unused
The rest are unused
Grade-10
Grade-8
Grade-7
Grade-12

Link any previous applications:

What position are you applying for (Maiden or Priest)?
I am applying for the Maiden position!

What is your motivation for applying?
The roleplay centered on the shrine faction has always piqued my interest. I've found myself spending an increasing amount of time with the shrine's patrons over time. I used to only visit sometimes, but as I've been more involved with the server, those visits have become regular.

The thing that really sticks out is how welcoming and close-knit they are at the same time. They may have a distinct group identity, but they always welcome new members and are kind. Every faction ought to strive for that, but the shrine faction seems to have it exactly perfect.

The way they manage to stay true to their unique role while still being so approachable creates a great atmosphere that adds a lot to the overall server experience. It’s not just about their lore or roleplay, but how they bring people in and make the server feel alive. I’ve found myself coming back to the shrine more and more, and it’s clear to me that they’ve really figured out how to build something special that other factions could learn from. (Not important, but a side note - it has recently gone over some absolutely beautiful renovations; a massive round of applause to RandomlyAccepted and NoInfi.)

What do you currently know about Shintoism? Are you willing to learn more about it?
Upon getting ready to apply, I did a little bit of research about Shintoism, however, I am not as versed in the ways as I’d like to be. I am more than willing to learn more, and look forward to the possibly opportunity; even if, by chance, this application is denied, it is a topic I would like to do more research on - not only to further my roleplay experience, but my knowledge and understanding of such a fascinating religion with beautiful ideology.

As of the moment of writing this application, I’ve come to learn the ‘origin’ story of Shintoism, a handful of the Kami’s names, and some of the traditional ceremonies (their details included). As well as the different positions, titles, and responsibilities each member of the shrine could hold.

I have re-added a section below from the former application format to go further into detail.

Untitled Project (1).jpg

IC INFORMATION

Character Full Name:
“My name?” A smile formed upon the young Saiky’s ‘picture perfect’ face, “Saiky, Ayame Saiky. It truely is a pleasure to meet you.”

Character Title:
“Oh, please, Miss or Madame will be fine - however,” a flicker of irritation crossed her face, but she briskly replaced it with a warm, Saiky ‘staple’ smile. She was making a conscious effort to appear gracious and composed, trying to mask the pang of envy she felt towards the sleek, polished sentence that had been introduced—one she had never intended to bring up. The sentence’s smooth, almost glossy finish seemed to taunt her, making her own self feel inadequate in comparison—she was comparing herself… to a sentence… her OWN sentence. As she maintained her composed demeanor, she focused on keeping her smile genuine and her tone courteous, all while struggling internally to conceal her true feelings and maintain the decorum she prided herself on, “a few of my friends outside of the estate keepers insist on Lady. I truly am no Lady, not in comparison to Lady Kaede.”

Character Age:
“Hm, a lady’s age should never be asked; only those who are churlish would do so. Although, you’ve been quite polite up to this point. Alright, fine—I see no harm. I’m twenty-eight, soon to be twenty-nine.” The young Saiky, embodying her usual traditional grace, had brought her hands together with a gentle, practiced swoop of her arms. Her fingers touched lightly in a prayer-like gesture as she lowered her gaze to the floor. Ayame bent herself at the waist in a respectful bow, her posture had a hint of quiet humility and respect - as most in her family do. “Just, please - do not tell anyone. A woman’s age is as sacred as her most profound secrets. It being unknown to those around us, it leaves us shrouded in mystery - allows the mind of those around us to work to fill in the missing information.”

Character Marital Status:
“Marital status? Unfortunately, that is more complicated than I would like it to be. We’ll just say… single… for now.” Ayame’s usual graceful smile slipped for a second, and a soft blush coloured her cheeks. She glanced down, clearly a little embarrassed, this was not a normal topic for her - “Mmm.. for now.” - her hands nervously shifted behind her. For a moment, the calm, composed look the Saiky always wore had cracked, but she quickly pulled herself together, offering a small smile again, though the blush still hadn’t faded.

Character Nationality:
Sitting quietly in her kimono, she held her back straight, hands folded neatly in her lap, one resting lightly over the other. “My family has always resided here in Japan. Born, raised - and continued to grow here… the Saiky family - not just myself. So,” The sleeves of her kimono brushed softly against her wrists as she shifted just slightly in her seat, adjusting with a quiet grace. Her gaze stayed steady, calm, and focused, “I guess, to answer your question. Japanese,” every movement is measured and respectful. Even in the stillness, there was a sense of careful poise, as she waited patiently for the next question, maintaining her composure with a serene expression.

Degrees/Certifications:
“This is a good question as well.. I like to pride myself in the work I had done back in my college days; my degree consists of a double major - History and Religious Studies, accompanied by a minor in Language and Culture. Not to brag.. As it really is nothing to brag about. It was a lot of studying, I will put it that way.” It seemed as if she was content - no fidgeting this time.

Backstory

Ayame Saiky was born into a world defined by its wealth, privilege, and unyielding tradition—a combination that, to the outside world, painted a picture of effortless luxury and endless opportunity. She was a child of fortune, a member of one of Japan’s most prestigious and historically significant families. The Saiky family name was not only synonymous with riches but also with an esteemed legacy that had endured for generations. Their lineage, said to trace back to the noble ranks of the Nara and Hein periods, had been carefully preserved through centuries of political strategy, economic prosperity, and carefully arranged alliances. For the Saiky, status was not just inherited—it was cultivated with meticulous care, and each generation bore the weight of continuing the family’s dominance.

To the public, the Saiky family was an institution. Their name carried influence across Japan’s political, social, and business landscapes, and their reputation for discretion and measured power made them revered among the country’s elite. Every move the family made felt calculated, every decision crafted to maintain the family’s place at the top of the societal hierarchy. In the eyes of those outside the estate’s walls, Ayame’s life likely seemed like a dream—one filled with privilege, fine silks, and rare jewels, all against the backdrop of a vast, sprawling estate.

However, for Ayame, the reality of this life was far from glamorous. While her family’s status brought privileges, it also brought isolation and heavy expectations. From a young age, Ayame was ******* for her role as a daughter within the Saiky family, and her path in life was set by fate long before she could even begin to understand it. She was expected to embody the values and principles of her ancestors, to uphold the legacy of the Saiky name with unwavering grace and obedience.

The Saiky Estate, nestled in the corner of the bustling city - starting close to the beach and its waves of sapphire, eventually moving closer to the Akihito estate, nonetheless, it was nothing short of breathtaking. It was a symbol of the family’s long-standing affluence, meticulously designed to reflect both their wealth and their deep respect for tradition. The stone walls, tall and imposing, seemed to merge with the natural beauty of the landscape. Within those walls, a page taken from a fairy tale story book; houses of various sizes scattered throughout the estate, each one distinct in purpose yet seamlessly blending into the landscape. The architectural design of the estate was a harmonious marriage of the old and the new, resulting in an aesthetic balance that honoured the family's deep-rooted past while embracing the inevitability of change.

The land itself seemed to teem with life, overflowing with lush plant life that had been carefully cultivated to create a sense of natural abundance. Towering maples and cherry trees lined the pathways, their leaves casting dappled shadows on the ground below. In spring, the estate would burst into a riot of colour as the sakura blossoms bloomed, filling the air with their delicate fragrance. Every corner of the estate seemed to pulse with life—vibrant ferns, flowering shrubs, and meticulously shaped bonsai trees created a sense of both order and wild beauty. It was as though the garden of Eden had been transported into the modern world, with the richness of nature unfurling in every direction.

At the heart of the estate lay a series of magnificent ponds, their waters so clear they seemed to shimmer under the sunlight like pools of liquid glass. Lotus flowers floated atop the surface, their petals open wide in a display of pure, untouched beauty. Fish—sleek, iridescent koi in shades of orange, white, and gold—glided through the water gracefully, their presence adding to the estate’s sense of timeless serenity. Wooden bridges arched over the ponds, offering quiet places of reflection, where one could stand and take in the peacefulness of the water below. It was in these small moments, gazing out at the ponds, that the estate felt otherworldly—like a slice of paradise carefully preserved amidst the modern world.

Every inch of the Saiky Estate was an embodiment of beauty and perfection, a place where nature and tradition had been sculpted into an awe-inspiring landscape that felt both sacred and alive. For those who lived there, it was a sanctuary, a world that stood apart from the chaos of everyday life, yet it was also a symbol of the weight of their legacy—a constant reminder of the past that had shaped their present. However, it still felt like a prison to the sun-kissed siren.

Unlike most children in Karakura, she never experienced the freedom of playing with friends in the streets or attending school outside the estate’s gates. Her education was handled within the confines of her home, where her parents had hired the best tutors to teach her the classical arts. She learned the proper way to perform a tea ceremony, mastered the art of ikebana, and was drilled in calligraphy until her brushstrokes mirrored those of the great masters. Her tutors also steeped her in the study of classical literature and poetry, ensuring that she would be well-versed in the cultural knowledge expected of someone in her position. Her progress was regularly scrutinised, with her mother watching closely to ensure Ayame met the high standards of the family.

Externally, like the sakura, she flourished—radiant, resilient, and breathtakingly alive. She was praised for her elegance, for the way she carried herself with dignity befitting a daughter of such a prestigious family. Her speech was measured and polite, her posture graceful and unyielding. She was, by all accounts, the perfect Saiky daughter. Yet, beneath this composed exterior, there was often a growing unease. She could recite poetry with ease, but she knew nothing of the world outside the walls that surrounded her. Her life was dictated by the same rigid structure her ancestors had adhered to, leaving little room for anything beyond what she thought was written as her fate—set in stone.

The more she learned about the world from books and conversations with tutors, the more she realised how small her own world truly was. Her curiosity was insatiable, and she began to yearn for experiences beyond the estate. She dreamed of exploring the bustling cities, of seeing the vast countryside beyond the cityline, of meeting people who weren’t part of her family’s inner circle. But these desires were dangerous—any talk of leaving the estate, of pursuing a life outside her carefully constructed world, was met with disapproval.

But despite these reminders, Ayame could not suppress her growing feelings of restlessness. She began to wonder what lay beyond the estate’s walls, to question whether her family’s way of life was the only way. She had been taught that the Saiky family’s wealth and influence were a blessing, but as she grew older, they began to feel more like chains—golden and beautiful, but chains nonetheless.

As she grew older, her feelings of frustration began to manifest in subtle acts of rebellion. Each night, when the estate sank into darkness and the air hung still, she found herself sneaking out, yearning for a taste of the freedom that had always been denied to her. At first, her adventures were small—just a few tentative steps beyond the estate walls, enough to catch a glimpse of the world outside her gilded cage. But with every night that passed, her curiosity pushed her to venture further.

The nearby forest, once an imposing barrier, transformed into a realm of discovery. Ayame explored winding paths and hidden coves, places she had never been permitted to visit before. Each foray was electrifying, filling her with a thrill that coursed through her veins like a forgotten melody. With each new step into the wilderness, she felt the weight of her family’s expectations begin to lift, replaced by a burgeoning sense of autonomy she had long yearned for.

During one of these late-night escapades, Ayame stumbled upon a revelation that would profoundly alter the trajectory of her life: the local shrine. Nestled at the forest's edge, the shrine was small and unassuming, a stark contrast to the grandeur of the Saiky Estate. Yet, as she stood before it, illuminated by the soft glow of lanterns, something deep within her stirred. The atmosphere was imbued with a quiet serenity that resonated deeply within her soul, as if the shrine itself was whispering secrets meant only for her.

In that moment, surrounded by the gentle rustle of leaves and the soft hum of night creatures, Ayame felt an unexpected connection. The shrine exuded a sense of peace and belonging that she had not known before, offering a sanctuary far removed from the expectations of her upbringing. It was here, in this humble space, that she began to imagine a different kind of life—one that could embrace her individuality while honouring the traditions that shaped her.

The sun-kissed siren began visiting the shrine in secret, irresistibly drawn to its tranquil atmosphere and the spiritual depth that seemed to resonate within its walls. Initially, she knew little about the shrine’s customs or practices, but her curiosity quickly transformed into a fervent desire to learn. She approached her studies with the same commitment she had applied to her traditional arts, immersing herself in the rituals and observing the ceremonies with rapt attention. When she was certain no one was watching, she found herself practicing prayers quietly, each word a soothing balm for her restless spirit.

While her family upheld their own form of devotion to Shintoism, it had always felt superficial to her—an obligation tied to their social status rather than a genuine belief. For them, it was a matter of tradition, a series of rituals performed to maintain appearances. But for Ayame, the shrine, despite being heavily influenced by her family, it became something profoundly different. It offered a refuge from the weight of her family’s expectations, a sacred space where she could reflect on her own identity. Here, she could escape the confines of her upbringing and explore a more personal connection to her culture—a connection that felt authentic and liberating. The shrine was not merely a place of worship; it was a sanctuary where she could discover herself, away from the prying eyes and judgement of the Saiky legacy.

It was at the shrine, surrounded by the gentle rustle of leaves and the soft glow of lanterns, that Ayame experienced a profound awakening. Each visit deepened her understanding of the spiritual practices she had come to admire, but more importantly, it illuminated a calling within her. As she immersed herself in the rituals and watched the dedication of the shrine’s caretakers, she felt a stirring realization: she wanted to dedicate her life to becoming a maiden, to embody the essence of the sanctuary that had offered her so much solace.

In those quiet moments of reflection, Miss Saiky began to understand the significance of the role she longed to embrace. The maidens of the shrine were not merely figures of tradition; they were vessels of compassion and guidance, offering a sense of peace to anyone who entered the sacred space. It didn’t matter if visitors came with struggles that mirrored her own or challenges that were entirely different—what mattered was the sanctuary they found there, a place to be heard and understood.

Ayame envisioned herself as a conduit for healing, someone who could create an atmosphere of acceptance and serenity for others seeking refuge from their own burdens. She felt a deep yearning to provide the same comfort she had discovered, to extend a hand to those lost in their own darkness. The shrine had become a haven for her, and she wanted to ensure that it remained a sanctuary for all who sought it out.

The more she contemplated this path, the more resolute she became. The siren imagined herself welcoming visitors with a warm smile, offering guidance through the rituals she had come to cherish. She envisioned the shrine bustling with people from all walks of life, each person drawn in by the promise of understanding and support. In her mind’s eye, she could see herself leading ceremonies, facilitating moments of reflection, and sharing the teachings of Shintoism in a way that felt accessible and meaningful.

The rest of the pages seemed blank - as if her story was still being written.

Untitled Project (2).jpg

CHARACTER KNOWLEDGE / SITUATIONS

How does your character act around shrine grounds? How do they interact with guests and other staff?

Ayame was raised in a Saiky household—where respect and tradition were everything. From a young age, she learned to be polite in every situation, using traditional Japanese manners no matter who she was talking to. Whether it was with family, friends, or complete strangers, her words were always carefully chosen, her gestures always respectful, reflecting the customs her family had passed down for generations.

As she got older, these mannerisms became a natural part of her. When she started working at the shrine, it was as if everything she'd been taught had prepared her for that role. Every bow, every word, even the way she walked, was done with a quiet sense of grace and respect that fits perfectly with the shrine's atmosphere. Whether she is helping with rituals, welcoming visitors, or just going about her duties, Miss Saiky’s politeness never wavered. Even when she wasn’t working, just visiting the shrine, she carried herself with the same care. Her upbringing had shaped her so deeply that the respect she showed was instinctive, a reflection of who she was. The shrine felt like a natural extension of the values she had lived by her whole life.

Upon greeting guests, she always starts with a warm smile and a slight bow, her hands resting politely in front of her. She’ll ask if they need anything—whether it’s directions, a bit of help, or just someone to talk to. Her tone is always polite, making sure they feel welcome right from the start. After offering her assistance, she might suggest a cup of tea, served with a quiet grace, choosing the blend thoughtfully and handing it over in delicate cups. She takes pride in these small gestures, knowing they can make people feel more at ease.

If the mood feels right, she’ll also offer a tarot card reading, explaining it casually, keeping things light and approachable. Throughout it all, she wears that same bright smile, making it clear that she’s genuinely happy to help, whether it’s something simple or a bit more spiritual. Each guest leaves feeling like they’ve been taken care of, not just served.

You see a guest jumping around the roofs of the building and overall disrespecting shrine grounds, how would your character handle it?
If Ayame noticed a guest jumping around on the roofs, clearly disrespecting the shrine grounds, her first instinct would be to take a deep breath and assess the situation. She knew that, as someone who had grown up with a strong sense of tradition and respect for the sacred space of the shrine, it was her responsibility to handle this delicately.
With a steadying breath, she would step closer, raising her voice just enough to be heard without sounding alarmed. “Excuse me! Can I have a moment of your time?” she would call out, aiming for a friendly yet firm tone. “It’s really important to respect the shrine and keep everyone safe.”

If the guest didn’t seem to notice her or continued their antics, Ayame would feel a twinge of frustration but would quickly remind herself to stay calm. She would raise her voice slightly, trying to inject a sense of urgency into her words. “I understand you might be having fun, but it’s quite dangerous up there! You could seriously hurt yourself or someone else.” At this point, if the guest still didn’t comply, the sun-kissed siren would know it was time to seek assistance. She would turn to a nearby staff member, explaining the situation with a mix of concern and well - fear for if the guest were to fall. “It looks like we might need a little backup. This guest seems unaware of the shrine's rules, and I want to make sure we handle this respectfully.”

Even in this moment, albeit possibly frustrating, Miss Saiky would remain calm, cool and collected, knowing that her demeanor would reflect the values of the shrine. She’d focus on resolving the issue while preserving the sanctity of the space, believing that her approach could help educate the guest rather than simply reprimand them.

Why does your character want to become a shrine maiden/priest?
Ayame Saiky’s decision to become a shrine maiden didn’t come all at once—it was a slow, quiet revelation born from her moments of solitude at the shrine. Raised opulent and isolated in Saiky Estate, her life had always been defined by her family’s rigid expectations. Every detail of her upbringing, from her education to her social behavior, was designed to uphold the legacy of her powerful lineage. But for Ayame, the suffocating rules and traditions made her feel trapped, her identity shaped more by duty than personal desire.

It was during her secret late-night excursions beyond the estate’s walls that she discovered the local shrine, hidden away at the edge of the forest. The shrine offered something her home never could—stillness, serenity, and a sense of spiritual freedom. Unlike the Saiky family’s relationship with Shintoism, which felt more like an obligation to tradition, the shrine introduced Ayame to a deeper, more personal connection with the divine. As she spent more time there, observing the rituals and quietly practicing prayers, she felt a growing pull toward this life of devotion.

The shrine became her refuge, a place where the pressures of her family’s expectations melted away, replaced by a sense of purpose and inner calm. It was in those moments of peace that Ayame realized her true calling. She wanted to become a shrine maiden not just to escape her old life, but to create a space where others could find the same sense of comfort and sanctuary she had discovered. She knew the path wouldn’t be easy, especially given her family’s strict values, but the more she thought about it, the more certain she became. Whether people came to the shrine seeking solace, guidance, or spiritual connection, Ayame wanted to be there to help, to offer a hand and a heart open to the struggles of others.

Untitled Project (3).jpg

SELF-KNOWLEDGE DETAILS
What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinto priests and maidens (miko) play vital roles in Shintoism, each bringing their own strengths to the spiritual community. While both are essential at the shrine, their duties differ, reflecting their unique contributions to worship and visitor engagement.

Shinto priests, known as shushi, are the leaders of the shrine. They are responsible for starting and guiding rituals, ensuring everything is done according to tradition. This includes managing ceremonies and preparing offerings for the kami, the spirits worshipped in Shinto. Traditionally, priests performed rituals in a structured way, focusing on preserving ancient practices. They carefully select offerings—like rice, sake, and seasonal fruits—presenting them with great respect. A key part of their role involves reciting Norito, formal prayers that express the community's gratitude and requests to the kami. This isn’t just about memorizing words; it requires understanding their meanings, which helps create a connection between the people and the divine.

In recent years, the role of priests has evolved. While they still uphold traditional duties, many now incorporate modern elements to engage younger generations and reach a wider audience. This can mean using contemporary language in prayers or making ceremonies more interactive to invite community participation. Priests are also increasingly active in outreach, using social media and educational programs to make Shinto teachings more accessible.

Miko, or maidens, have traditionally served a supportive role in rituals. They assist priests by preparing the shrine and ensuring everything is set for ceremonies. In the past, their responsibilities were mainly focused on following strict protocols. They performed purification rites, using a gohei to cleanse offerings and spaces before presenting them to the kami.

Today, the role of miko has expanded. While they still support traditional rituals, many now take on more active roles, leading simpler ceremonies and engaging directly with the community. They often welcome visitors, offering a friendly presence and sharing information about the shrine’s customs and history. This change helps create a more personal connection with worshippers, making the spiritual experience feel more approachable. Many maidens also participate in outreach and education, bridging the gap between ancient traditions and contemporary life.

Maidens also act as guardians of tradition, participating in festivals and rituals that honour the kami and strengthen community ties. They play a crucial role in keeping Shinto customs alive, ensuring they resonate with people today. Their involvement in educational efforts is essential for making Shinto teachings accessible to a wider audience.

While priests and maidens have distinct responsibilities, their roles often overlap. Both contribute significantly to the shrine's spiritual life, bringing unique qualities that complement each other. Traditional duties remain important, but there’s a growing focus on adapting to modern needs. Priests offer leadership and spiritual guidance, while maidens foster a welcoming environment that encourages connection and understanding.

The relationship between Shinto priests and maidens showcases the richness of Shinto practice. Each has an important part to play in nurturing the community's spiritual life and preserving the traditions that have shaped Shinto over time. Together, they help ensure that spirituality remains a meaningful part of everyday life, allowing people to connect with the divine in personal and impactful ways.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Before stepping into a Shinto shrine, it’s customary to participate in a purification ritual at the temizuya, or purification trough. As you approach, take a moment to bow politely; it’s a sign of respect for the sacred space you’re about to enter. Start by picking up the ladle, called hishaku, with your right hand. The first step is to cleanse your left hand. Pour water over it, symbolizing the removal of impurities. Next, switch the ladle to your left hand and rinse your right hand in the same way.

For cleansing your mouth, take a small amount of water in your right hand and bring it to your mouth to rinse. Make sure not to drink directly from the ladle; instead, spit the water out to the side, away from the trough. After that, hold the ladle vertically so any leftover water runs down the handle back into the trough. This keeps it clean for the next person. Once you've finished, return the ladle to its original spot, making sure it's positioned correctly. Before you step into the shrine, bow again. This gesture shows your respect for the kami and the sacred space you’re about to enter. This entire process helps prepare you, both physically and spiritually, for the experience within the shrine.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
Making offerings to a kami in Shinto is a heartfelt process that involves several respectful steps. It usually starts with selecting the right items for the offering. Common choices include food like rice, fruits, and vegetables, as well as sake (rice wine) and salt. These offerings symbolize gratitude and respect for the kami. Before you place your offerings, it’s important to purify yourself. This often means washing your hands and mouth at the temizuya (purification trough) to cleanse both body and spirit.

Once you’re ready, approach the altar, or shrine, where you’ll make your offering. Many shrines have a specific area for this, often marked by a small table or shelf. Carefully arrange your offerings on the altar, making sure everything looks neat. If you’re offering sake, you can use a special cup called a masu. After placing your offerings, take a moment to bow deeply in gratitude. You might also clap your hands twice to get the kami’s attention. This is often followed by a final bow. You can then say a brief prayer or simply express your thanks in your own words. Finally, take a step back and observe your offerings for a moment of reflection before you leave. This process is about more than just the physical act of giving; it’s a way to connect spiritually with the kami, showing your appreciation and respect in a meaningful way.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
The traditional Japanese tea ceremony, known as chanoyu, is a beautifully calming ritual that emphasizes harmony and respect. It begins with setting up the tea room, which should feel clean and simple. With just a hanging scroll (kakejiku) and a modest flower arrangement (ikebana), the space creates a soothing atmosphere. As the host, you gather the necessary items: a tea bowl (chawan), a tea whisk (chasen), a tea scoop (chashaku), and some matcha, or powdered green tea. Hot water is also essential for brewing the tea.

When your guests arrive, you greet them warmly and invite them to sit. Before you start making the tea, you perform a brief purification ritual, washing the utensils with hot water as a sign of respect for the process. Preparing the tea involves measuring out the matcha and whisking it with hot water until it’s frothy. Once it’s ready, you present the bowl to your guest, turning it slightly so they can appreciate its design. The guest then admires the bowl before sipping the tea, often sharing their thoughts on its flavour and beauty.

After they finish, the guest returns the bowl, and you clean the utensils again, marking the end of the ceremony. You take a moment to thank your guests for sharing the experience and reflect on the connections made during the ritual. At its heart, the tea ceremony is about much more than just drinking tea. It’s an opportunity to slow down, appreciate the beauty around you, and forge connections with others. Each movement is deliberate, inviting everyone to savour the moment and deepen their relationships.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Tamagushi
A tamagushi is a traditional offering in Shinto, often used in rituals dedicated to the kami, or spirits. It usually takes the form of a slender branch, often from a sacred tree like the sakaki, decorated with shide—white paper streamers that symbolize purity and the kami's presence.

During rituals at shrines, the tamagushi is presented as a way to invite the kami and show respect. It's not just a physical offering; it’s a way to connect with the spiritual world. When making an offering, people typically hold the tamagushi while reciting prayers or during purification, which reflects their desire to communicate with the kami.

You can also use a tamagushi for personal worship, either at home or at a shrine. It represents a sincere gesture of gratitude and devotion. Ultimately, the tamagushi embodies a deep respect for nature and the importance of honouring the divine in everyday life.

Ofuda
An ofuda is a sacred talisman in Shinto, usually made of wood or paper, that features prayers or inscriptions for a specific kami (spirit or deity). These are often blessed by a Shinto priest, which gives them special significance.

People use ofuda as protective charms, placing them in their homes or businesses to invite blessings and keep negativity at bay. They serve as a reminder of the divine and help maintain a connection to the spiritual realm.

When you receive an ofuda, it’s common to put it on a small shelf or altar called a kamidana in your home. This space is dedicated to worship, and you might also place offerings like rice, water, or seasonal flowers alongside it.

Many people renew their ofuda every year during New Year’s celebrations or specific festivals, refreshing the spiritual protection and blessings they offer. Ultimately, ofuda represents a personal connection to the kami, embodying devotion and a desire for guidance in everyday life.

Kagura Suzu
The kagura suzu is a traditional Shinto tool used in rituals to call upon kami, or spirits. It usually features a wooden handle with small bells attached, which produce a soft tinkling sound when shaken. These bells are often made of metal or wood and symbolize purity and joy.

During kagura—a form of Shinto music and dance performed at shrines—the kagura suzu plays an important role. When the host shakes it, the sound helps create a spiritual atmosphere and invites the kami to join the ceremony. It’s not just about the sound; it also purifies the space and lifts everyone’s spirits.

You can also use the kagura suzu for personal worship at home or in smaller shrine settings. It serves as a sincere offering of joy and respect, helping to connect you with the divine. Ultimately, the kagura suzu embodies the celebration and spirituality of Shinto, reminding practitioners of the joy found in honouring the kami in everyday life.

Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
After some careful consideration—this answer could not be answered with one singular name, but six. Although it seems like a lot—taking a look at the endless list of names for the kami, it felt only right to include them all.

Izanagi-no-Mikoto
A central figure in Shinto mythology and is regarded as one of the primary creator deities. Alongside his counterpart, Izanami-no-Mikoto, he plays a vital role in the creation of the Japanese islands and various kami.

According to legend, Izanagi and Izanami were given the task of bringing order to a chaotic world. Using a jeweled spear, they stirred the ocean, and as they pulled it out, the islands of Japan emerged. Once the land was formed, they created numerous kami to inhabit it, establishing a divine lineage.

Tragedy struck when Izanami died while giving birth to Kagu-tsuchi, the god of fire. Overwhelmed with grief, Izanagi ventured into the underworld, Yomi, in search of her. However, upon finding her in her decayed state, he was horrified and fled, sealing the entrance behind him. This act created a separation between the living and the dead, reinforcing the cycle of life and death in Shinto beliefs.

After his return to the living world, Izanagi performed purification rituals in a river, which led to the birth of several other deities, including Amaterasu, the sun goddess, and Tsukuyomi, the moon god. His actions highlight the significance of purity and the divine processes that shape existence.

Izanagi is often associated with themes of creation, loss, and the complexities of life. His legacy is foundational to Shinto cosmology, symbolizing the interplay between life and death and the ongoing cycle of creation.

Izanami-no-Mikoto
An important deity in Shinto mythology, recognized as the goddess of creation and death. Alongside her counterpart, Izanagi-no-Mikoto, she played a crucial role in the creation of the Japanese islands and many of the kami that inhabit them.

According to the myth, Izanami and Izanagi came down from the heavens and used a spear to stir the ocean, from which the islands of Japan emerged. After shaping the land, they continued to create various kami to populate it.

As mentioned above, tragically, during the birth of their child Kagu-tsuchi, the fire god, Izanami suffered severe burns and ultimately died. Her death had a profound impact on the mythology, introducing themes of loss and the cycle of life and death. Grieving for her, Izanagi journeyed to the underworld, Yomi, in hopes of bringing her back. However, when he saw her in her decayed state, he was horrified and fled, sealing off the entrance to the underworld behind him.

Izanami’s role as both a creator and a goddess of death highlights the balance between life and mortality. In Shinto beliefs, she is honored as a powerful kami, embodying the complexities of existence and the natural cycles that govern life and death.

Kukunochi
A lesser-known kami in Shinto, often tied to agriculture, fertility, and the harvest, especially rice cultivation. He represents the natural forces that support crops and is frequently called upon for blessings related to farming.

In mythology, Kukunochi is seen as a guardian of farmers and is linked to the natural cycles that influence planting and harvesting. His role emphasizes how vital nature is to Japanese culture and the agricultural practices that have sustained it for generations.

While he may not be as well-known as figures like Amaterasu or Izanagi, Kukunochi holds importance in symbolizing the connection between people and the land. His worship reflects a deep respect for nature and the belief in kami that inhabit different aspects of life, especially in rural areas where farming is central.

People might offer rice or other farm produce to Kukunochi, showing gratitude for the earth's bounty and acknowledging the need to live in harmony with the natural world.

Kuzuryu
Often called the "Nine-Headed Dragon," is an important kami in Japanese mythology, especially connected to water, rivers, and agriculture. Typically portrayed as a powerful serpent or dragon, he represents both the beauty and the unpredictability of water.

In folklore, Kuzuryu is believed to dwell in rivers, and people often turn to him for protection against floods and other natural disasters. His role is especially vital for farming communities that depend on rainfall and irrigation. Many see him as a controller of these essential resources.

Kuzuryu is also associated with fertility and abundance since water is crucial for growing crops. In various stories, he acts as a guardian for specific areas, symbolizing the nurturing side of nature.

When people honour Kuzuryu, they might offer rice, sake, or other agricultural products, expressing gratitude and seeking blessings for a good harvest. His worship reflects a deep respect for nature and its vital influence on everyday life in Japan.

Amaterasu Omikami
Amaterasu is one of the most respected deities in Shinto, known as the goddess of the sun. She holds a central place in Japanese mythology and is often seen as the ancestor of the imperial family. Amaterasu embodies light, purity, and fertility, symbolizing the life-giving power of the sun.

According to legend, she was born from the left eye of Izanagi-no-Mikoto during his purification after coming back from the underworld. Her arrival brought light into the world, dispelling the darkness and chaos that existed before. As a nurturing goddess, she provides warmth and sustenance to both the earth and its people.

One of the most well-known stories about Amaterasu involves her retreat into a cave, which cast the world into darkness. This happened after a conflict with her brother, Susanoo, the storm god. To bring her back, the other deities came up with a clever plan that eventually restored light to the world, highlighting her role as a source of life and hope.

Amaterasu is also celebrated during various rituals and festivals, especially during the New Year, where she is honoured for her contributions to prosperity and good fortune. The rising sun symbolizes her presence, and she is often depicted holding a mirror, representing clarity and truth.

Overall, Amaterasu represents the deep connection between the natural world and the divine, embodying the balance and harmony that are core to Shinto beliefs. Her worship reflects a profound respect for nature and the essential role the sun plays in sustaining life.

Amatsu-Mikaboshi
A fascinating figure in Shinto mythology, often associated with chaos and the stars. His name roughly translates to "Heavenly Star," which hints at his celestial connections. Unlike more benevolent kami, like Amaterasu, the sun goddess, Amatsu-Mikaboshi embodies the darker and more chaotic aspects of existence.

In stories, he represents the primal chaos that existed before the world was created, emphasizing the idea that disorder is just as much a part of life as harmony. He often appears in myths as a source of misfortune or challenges, serving as a reminder that life can be unpredictable and sometimes difficult.

Although he’s not as commonly worshiped as other kami, Amatsu-Mikaboshi plays an important role in illustrating the balance between good and evil. His presence in Shinto emphasizes that both positive and negative forces shape our lives. People might invoke him to seek protection against chaos or misfortune, acknowledging that while challenges are inevitable, they are also a natural part of the human experience.
Untitled Project (4).jpg

Screenshot credit; @xanaxiety (oh hey, that's me)

Last edited:

RandomlyAccepted

Level 42
Shrine Lead
Builder
RandomlyAccepted
RandomlyAccepted
Omega+
Accepted!

Welcome to the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery! As a team we have decided to accept your application as a maiden.

Make sure you are in the Karakura Town Discord (Here) to get started!

If you have any questions please DM me on discord via randomlyaccepted.​

Users who are viewing this thread