IGN: electriklove

DISCORD TAG: mar#3333

PREVIOUS BANS: N/A

DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS:
Yes.

POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
Shinkan / Priest

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I'm very active. I'm online daily trying my best to branch out when it comes to roleplaying and in meeting new people; It has been my drive as of late. I believe joining shrine could help me with that, since it's a job where you have to put yourself more out there to help educate and interact with the player base.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGION?
Aside from what little anime has to offer with it, not much. I do enjoy learning about Japanese traditions and the lore of Karakura which I feel the shrine plays a big part in. I do find a fascination in the topic and would love to be a part of the faction to learn more of the religion.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
My activity; As previously stated, I'm typically online daily, aside from when I need to handle my school work. Outside of that, I'm fairly good at retaining knowledge and making sure I understand the given material. I'm growing to really enjoy branching out as far as roleplay goes and trying to interact with new people. I would love to bring that same energy into the shrine faction. I see the shrine faction as more of a roleplay based one which is something I feel really fits into what I'm looking for right now.

In-Character Information

FULL NAME:
Raymond Igarashi

WHAT IS YOUR AGE?: 48

WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
I'm applying to work at the monastery to, in a sense, respect my wife. As she actively practiced Shintoism at our home, I've been so intrigued and have been wanting to learn more. This seems like a great opportunity for me to do so, and be able to take time for myself to soak up new knowledge.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
I understand the basics of the shrine, such as it being founded before the city itself and the original building being burned down due to a rumored inconvenience. The shrine is now a combination of what Shintoism was with Buddhism and what seems to be a Karakura historial hotspot. The shrine now is home to many Mikos and priests who tend for the Kami still living within the mountain.

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
I grew up in America. Specifically Oakland, California. That's where I was born and raised, and through my own ever growing curiosity I had a general interest in learning about other cultures, including religions. Of course, once I had met Taiyo, for several years I was learning about Shintoism little by little. We flew out to Japan to visit a proper Shinto shrine. Ever since then, my love and respect for the religion has grown.

LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
Dear Monastery Lead,
I'm reaching out to you for my inquiry in regards to becoming a Shrine Priest. I have a strong belief that I would be a great fit for this position, as my interest in Shintoism has piqued once my late wife, Taiyo, had introduced me to it. I would love to take this opportunity with an open heart and mind to learn more about the religion, and even apply my knowledge to others who may want to take a bigger part in Shinto. Having an important position at your shrine would be a great honor, and I do hope that you will take my application into consideration. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,
Raymond Igarashi

Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the Shrine?

There are two steps that must be done before one can enter the shrine. One: cleansing your hands and mouth at the fountain at the base of the shrine using the given ladle. Two: Bowing to the Torii before entering. This is done to both show respect to the area and the Kami’s space.

How are rituals to a Kami performed?
Rituals are typically led by a priest, but in the instance of making an offering to the shrine's Kami, you would bow to the Torii before making your way to the offering box where you will leave or give your offerings. You then ring the bell to let the Kami know of your presence, bow twice followed by clapping your hands twice and begin your prayer. Once you're finished you will bow once more before taking your leave.

What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?
The job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden is to care for the shrine. These two have similar yet different jobs. Priests are known to be the one to communicate or be closer to the Kami so they tend to lead the rituals and hold the most knowledge and “power.” Maidens/Miko’s tend to hold more of an assistant role within the shrine. They aid the priests in rituals or clean and care for the shrine grounds, they are able to help run the store if the shrine does have one and help with basic questions or helping set up rituals for the priests. Maidens may also take up religious arts if they so choose. However, their main focus is to tend to the shrine grounds and aiding the priests.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:
This happens between 30 to 100 days after the birth of the child; This is the child's first visit to the shrine. They will work with a Priest alongside Miko’s during this in order to welcome the child into the local Kami’s “community”. This leads into smaller rituals through points in the child’s life as they grow under the eyes of the local Kami. By the age of 20, they are celebrated officially as an adult in both the religious and public community.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:
A basic run-down of Shintoism, what the religion means and its history such as it was once its own religion before buddhism took over and changed a lot of its views and even mentioning the jobs of Priests and Mikos and their duties to the Kami. I would inform the player or person about the lore of the shrine itself and the monastery as well as the Kami that lives within the mountain and their history.

Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?
Kisshōten, the Goddess of good fortune.

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you haven't already, go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Priest role (make sure to include your age) or DM rini#0001 to get your role

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread