Accepted MilkSplasher | Priest Application

grahamys

Level 0
SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY APPLICATION

Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
MilkSplasher

DISCORD NAME & TAG: nickolop#4934

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: I live in Mountain Standard Time (MST). -7 UTC.

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS: I have no previous bans, but I have been warned for spam once before by atoki. I do not plan on getting banned, I am respectful and aware of the rules in place in order to prevent any negative interactions that insight a ban.

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: I do have a working microphone.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER: I am active most of the day besides weekends because of soccer and other plans with friends and sill even then I am active 4+ hours a day, especially because it's summer. I will most likely be available for every training/meeting/event the Shrine holds. If I could rate my activity on the server it would be a solid 9/10. I enjoy playing the sports plugins on SRP, I am fond of volleyball, football, and basketball. Compared to previous activity, already being high, I plan on being online and active for even longer. You will rarely see me taking breaks from the server, my "main" account and my "alternate" account both average really good hours online.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?: I will be applying for the Shinto Priest role/position.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?: My idea of Shintoism is revolved around spirituality and the supernatural "ability" called kami. Kami are spiritual gods that take on different roles in different places. In order to keep a sound relationship with them, many people do offerings and pray using all types of unique and traditional ways. I have always took great interest in their unique and fancy traditions used as worship. It is perceived as a polytheistic religion focused on naturalistic sides of things, such as cultic devotion to nature and nature related things, I am also aware that this religion is dedicated to worship in respect for the Japanese Emperor. The religion originated in Japan and is often considered its indigenous religion. As a summary, Shintoism revolves around three major teachings. Kami, Cleanse of the Soul, and Devotion and Knowledge of Naturalistic Powers (examples, rain, wind, thunder etc.). Worship is required as it brings you closer to the kami as well as you and nature becoming "one". Worship is also necessary in other religions, such as Catholicism; But Shintoism has what I would call a 'strict' worship schedule. I call this strict because the comparison of Catholicism makes it seem rather weary on the followers of Shinto. For example, You are suggested to go to Catholic church at least once a week. However, it is suggested to worship at least twice a day while going through plenty of rituals. These rituals are hosted by a priest to help oneself become purified and keep evil spirits from preventing you from connecting with the kami. Most shrines celebrate festivals (matsuri) regularly in order to show the kami the outside world. As my knowledge about the subject is limited right now, I plan on learning a sizeable amount of knowledge from getting this position. Therefore yes, I am willing, and prepared to learn even more knowledge and use it in my roleplaying experience.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS? I feel I better fit this spot more than others because of my experience, I am well educated already in the field of Shintoism and am definitely up for learning more about the topic. I also feel I thrive in this certain type of roleplay the best, although I am not a follower of Shintoism (I am Catholic Christian), I am well aware of the religion and its presence and effect it has on the Shrine lore. My roleplaying experience varies from all types of roleplay. I feel this will benefit everyone as not only am I learning this type of roleplay, I may also be teaching different types of roleplay as well. Another reason would be my activity, due to it being summer, I am entering the offseason of my soccer season with the last couple tournaments at the end of the month. Reason being that there is nothing to do, I get bored, and therefore I get extremely motivated to do almost anything. I also feel my leadership skills from being a captain of the volleyball team come into play. I contemplate those skills will help me develop and fit in quickly in the new environment. This skillset not only allows for me to take charge and give directions, it also gives me the ability to "know my place" and learn and follow others. I also have a friend that was previously a priest who can help me out when needed, he has plenty of experience and I plan on using that to help me fit in quickly and efficiently. In order to be a priest, you need to be a little creative, I think that my creativity is on a high scale. I can come up with ideas that will help this faction grow and become more and more involved into the city of Karakura, not just some back shadow faction that is mainly there for lore. My motivation is to reawaken this faction as a whole and make the members and community known and make sure they have good experiences in roleplaying.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?: I do indeed acknowledge that I have to attend trainings and procedures about Shintoism. I am also aware that if I do not attend them, there will be consequences.
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTER'S FULL NAME: '
Appoline Bonaparte'
CHARACTER'S TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss): 'Mr. Bonaparte'

CHARACTER'S AGE (E.g. 21-80): I am 26 years old

CHARACTER'S MARITAL STATUS: I currently am not married, or in a romantic relationship with anyone.

CHARACTER'S NATIONALITY: French

CHARACTER'S PHONE-NUMBER: (030) - 009 - 0839

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?: My motivation is simply to hone my skills as a priest and learn to perfect my meditation and worship to the Kami spirits. The opportunity to meet other priests interested in the same field as me and make new friends peaks my interest as I would be delighted to make more friends, especially ones that have the same ideals as me. I love visiting the monastery, it catches my eye to the beauty of nature. It really gives me a perspective on Shintoism as a beautiful and peaceful religion that only punishes you when you punish it. I feel if I get this occupation, I will be closer to my favorite place and spend even more time there. I have gotten myself familiar with the environment and started worshipping already as a new Karakura citizen. Hence just moving here, the beauty of the monastery and the intriguing backstory has opened my eyes to a new world, Shintoism.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY: Emperor Genmei ordered the construction of the monastery on June 6th, 744. The monastery was finished in the winter of 762 A.D in the Daichi Mountain. At the time, the monastery was built for Buddhism, until the two religions, Shintoism and Buddhism merged. Buddhism remained on top until years later, Shintoism got its shine, taking Buddhism's spot as the monastery's religion. A priest, maddened by the inhabitants of the land, felt the citizens carried too much "filth" and made the shrines sacrilegious. Therefore he started a fire and burned down the monastery. The only thing left was the original shrine for the Yama-no-kami. Later on, early Christian settlers built a church in a similar region and "competed" with the monastery for visitors. The two competed for a while, as the church slowly lost more and more visitors. Along with visitors, the funding for the church also dropped as the government clearly favored the monastery. Eventually, a 3rd-party company funded the church to halt its relocation. With the monastery still running to this day, the Yama-no-kami shrine is said to be maddened by its loneliness that people believe the kami has caused dangerous storms to take its rage on the people of Karakura.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD : Dear Utau Omori,

I would like to have a meeting with you to talk about a possible job opportunity as a priest at your monastery. I feel I have a great skill set, motivation, and knowledge for being a priest at your monastery and would love to have a chat to show you all I have learned about the religion. Please feel free to call if you have any questions beforehand. (030) - 009 - 0839.

I just wanted to say that this job would be wonderful as it fits everything I want to do. I love the Shinto religion and feel I could thrive as a priest at your monastery. I guarantee a perfect, thoughtful, never better priest than me. As I grow older I begin to appreciate the wonders of the religion. Gaining more and more respect for Kami, studying it in my free time and practicing the teachings on friends and family. Please let me know whenever you are available for a time to chat.

Sincerely, Appoline Bonaparte.

BACKSTORY (100+ Words): Appoline Bonaparte, a young French native. He was born into poverty in 1993 on the streets of Paris. His family were involved in the Catholic church of Paris, which shaped his devotion to the faith in his current days. He dealt with sickness, starvation, bullying, and homelessness from being a one year old, until four years later, where his life changed. When hew as five, he started picking up on sports, such as football (because of Zidane), basketball (because of Michael Jordan), and most especially, volleyball, he also picked up a new religion that interested him just a tiny bit called Shintoism, he studied it a bit just out of curiosity but didn't take it seriously. Volleyball was Appoline's real life saver. A coach of a little league was passing by and saw Appoline and a couple of his friends playing volleyball (At this point, Appoline was now 10). Despite being starved the majority of his life, Appoline had an incredible physique (Most likely from getting into fights, playing all types of sports, and doing independent strength training) and he was pretty tall for a 10 year old. The coach approached him and asked him to tryout for the team. Appoline agreed and showed up to tryouts at the given time. He blew out the competition, even outperforming people five years older than him! With all the coaches impressed, he made the team and carried them throughout the seasons. In total he won the championship five times in a row! He was now fifteen playing in adult leagues. After a couple of years of switching countries back and forth signing contract after contract, he ended up in Karakura playing for his college team, the Spartans. At this point, he has carried them to a championship final, but unfortunately he could not attend it and they lost. But now he was playing in this championship against the male Bobcats, who on paper had the better team, but the Spartans had Appoline. During the final stretch, the score 20-20, Appoline passes the ball to his setter, who prepares to set the ball for Appoline, he jumps, he hits, he scores. The game is over, Appoline has won it! But wait, Appoline is on the ground holding his calf. It turns out he landed wrong and tore his entire calf muscle, ending his career as a volleyball player. After a couple of months in physical therapy he came back, but he knew he couldn't play the sport anymore, so he decided to learn about sports instead. He learned not only about volleyball, but other sports such as football and basketball (the sports he played when he was younger). Later on, in his twenties, he relearned the Shintoism religion, still remaining a devote catholic, he saw a great job opportunity as a priest for the Shinto religion. As he continued studying, he had second thoughts about his current Catholic religion, getting more and more interested in Shintoism, he stood in a balance, studying both, but he stopped going to church, he started to worship at the shrine more and more often seeming to sway more towards Shintoism.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:
The main job of the priest is to officiate at all shrine ceremonies on behalf of and at the request of worshippers. They are required to "keep a smile on their face" and have that priest-like attitude towards things, in other words, keep a positive stance on everything. Another duty is to stay active throughout all the ceremonies and events held by the lead. Priests are meant to keep the shrine and kami happy. Making worshippers welcome and teach them customs used in the religion, practicing rituals, and worshipping through offerings. Priests are thought to have the closest connections to deities, so activity, meditation, and prayer are important. Maidens are trained to perform many shrine related jobs and tasks like divinations, the kagura dance, cleansing, devout worship, and more. Both Priests and Maidens clean and look after the monastery.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?: First, you must grab a dipper with your right hand and dump water onto your left hand, Second, switch the dipper to your left hand and pour water on your right hand, Next, with the dipper in your right hand, pour water onto your left hand and rinse your mouth, again, pour water on your left hand and then turn it upright so that the water rinses the handle, Finally, pour out the rest of the water in the dipper and return it to its resting spot.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?: To start your offering, place a 100 yen coin into the box, you then take a step back while reaching upwards towards the rope, grabbing it, you give it a slight ring, you would take a step forward, give a bow, and begin clapping your hands twice. To finish, you would then bow and say a prayer before bowing once more.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?: The personage would wait on a mat for the bowl of tea to be placed. The bowl would be placed in front of the individual, they would then use their right hand to pick up the bowl and place it in their left hand. Next, they would tilt the bowl so that the front does not face them and take a few sips. Once finished, place the bowl on the mat and turn the bowl so that the front now faces the host.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

A Tamagushi is a Shinto offering made from a special tree branch called "sakaki", placed in a zigzag pattern, are shides placed on the branch. they are used at shrines in rituals. At Japanese weddings, funerals, and other ceremonies at Shinto shrines, tamagushi are ritually presented to the kami. Tamagushi represents our sincere hearts and spirits, which we offer to Kami. The evergreen represents the eternal nature of our spirits and hearts, and our connection to the natural world, and the physical world.

An Ofuda is a talisman made of paper, cloth, or wood, they are found in Shinto shrines and are said to have the power of the deities in them. It acts as a symbol of the kami, and can be understood as containing the same essence. Placing an ofuda in the household is like welcoming a spirit into the home.

A Kagura Suzu is a set of twelve bells used for rituals and the Kagura dance. Usually, they are being used by a priest during ceremony, especially shrines which enshrine Ame no Uzume no Mikoto, or most commonly, by miko during offering the Kagura ritual dance.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?: Ajisukitakahikone-no-Kami

Last edited:

TaxEvasionFraud

Level 37
TaxEvasionFraud
TaxEvasionFraud
Notable
[ ACCEPTED ]
──────────────────────────────────
Welcome to the Monastery team!

If you are not already in the Karakura Town discord, CLICK HERE to join
Upon checking the #help channel, if you have not already received your roles, go ahead and ping the Shrine faction lead

Any questions can be forwarded to my DMs, Reinahx#0069
──────────────────────────────────​

Users who are viewing this thread