Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
poisonedpharmacy

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
alicealicealice#3357

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
EST (Eastern Time Zone)

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:
I have no bans, and my record will stay that way throughout my timeline on SRP.

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes, I do.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
In my personal opinion, I am fairly active amongst the server. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give myself a 7.5 or an 8. I am online for a decent amount of time typically around 6 hours or even longer depending on my schedule. The only things affecting my time would be work and school as I prioritize them, yet I am free for many events, and other things required.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
I will be applying for the role of, Maiden.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
To be honest, my knowledge of Shintoism isn’t the best although I do try my best to understand. Being interested in different sorts of RP, I do wish to dive into a better environment in which I’d learn more about as frankly, everything I’ve seen is different online. My current understanding, however, is rather well, I know that the religion is based around a Kami which is commonly known as a God to many but the difference is well that Kami's spirit originated. As well, I am aware of the back story of Izanagi, and the Kami for the in-game Shrine.

As for being further educated on Shintoism itself, I am open to learning anything required and additional information for my own sake. Shintoism is very interesting and unique from other Cultural Religions that I have learned about, and I would like to learn more in-depth.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
Compared to other applicants I’d like to state that it’s possibly my involvement and experience with religion-based roleplay. Despite that I do have an eagerness to learn and follow through on my path of possible education, learning differences, keys, and cultures is something I’d be perfect with. Not only do I study other cultures in my own time, and education I as well do out of interest which makes my understanding of Japanese culture, religions, and other supporting factors differ.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAINING TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

Yes, I do. If I am unable to attend I will inform any HU beforehand, then reschedule a better time period or take the training later that day.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTER FULL NAME:

Camilla Shigate

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Miss

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
Camilla is 26 years old.

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Single.

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Filipino.

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030)-273-5271

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
"Despite growing up somewhere else, I was raised to enter any culture and embrace it. Embarking on many journies as a child it was joyful, I learned about Japanese Culture throughout my whole life as it was where my mother was from. Being able to do these helpful, rewarding gifts and ensuring protection amongst citizens fulfilled something in me. A spark. To be able to have that moment in another city, would be something I cannot pass. Being able to educate, protect, and serve those of Karakura would be an honor."

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
"Throughout Karakura’s history, there has always been a Monastery for the citizens. During the Nara and Heian period, we had the Akatera Monastery, which was short-lived as a retaliation resulting in the burning of the Monastery. Despite this setback, the Monastery still strived on as it came to the second known Monastery, Kisune Monastery which was built into the mountains where today’s Monastery lies. Similar to the first Monastery, Kisune became ash as a result of the Azuchi-Momoyama Period. As the years went on without a proper Monastery, many prideful families came together to rebuild the Kisune Monastery. These families were known as the Nashima branches during the Edo period, Daily Houses, and Hayashi clans which were led by Kazuya Saiky it was rebuilt and put under the name Shinsei Seinaru Monastery in 16176. To this day, it holds up and serves the citizens of Karakura. Keeping religion pure."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dear Kannushi,

I do hope this letter finds you in good health and safe regard, as I have been wishing to be graced with your presence. My name is Camilla Shigate and I have recently been on a journey throughout Japan which is to dive deeper into the culture and further educate those about it. Karkaura strikes me as a perfect place to do this as the Monastery is surpassing expectations among commoners. Being able to apply as a Maiden would be a delight, as I wish to accompany you and learn from other residing Shrine Priests, Maidens, and other caregivers. Although there is a more in-depth reason which is to complete my dreams of learning my culture, as I grew up in the Philippines and only had a slice of my culture I came to Japan to be able to further educate myself and others about, Shintoism rituals, tea ceremonies, and minor tasks of Maidens which has put a smile on my face. Being able to do the things I was taught, fulfills my memory and happiness. It’d be an honor to provide my knowledge of the culture, religion, and respect for Japan itself.

Sincerely, Camilla Shigate.

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Growing up in Santa Magdalena, Philippines Camilla Shigate was born on March 21st, 1995. Despite growing up under the sun and in a lovely household, Camilla struggled with some things which included academics, and communications. Although she persisted in her studies, it was a struggle for many years. The only thing she surpassed was world-cultures, languages, and world history but not any of her other subjects. Camilla wished to surpass these courses in order to complete the dream she was told of. Which was to study abroad, diving back into her Japanese roots although being born elsewhere and learning a different culture itself. Promising her mother, Camilla studied day and night in hopes of better results, which did pay off after months. Camilla became a world star in her head. Except, there was one thing she wished for the most, completing her mother's dream. Camilla's mother, Lola was a powerful, bold, and strong-witted single mother. Being deprived of her roots, she yearned for Camilla to go back and learn. Doing what she could, Camilla was pushed into Japanese cultural classes, learning rituals, dances, and studies that would be helpful in the future. The enriched culture Lola spoke of was magnificent,ensuring Camilla got the best education out there she was often found studying at the Monasteries throughout her town. Falling in love, she knew she must go to fulfill her mother's wish, as her whole life she learned this culture. How could she leave it in the dust? Confident enough, Camilla made a plan and went to Japan.

Arriving in Tokyo, Camilla felt indifferent but found a Monsterary which she soaked in the culture like a sponge. Soon becoming a trainee, Camilla enjoyed her time and couldn't wait to become a Maiden. Feeling at home finally Camilla was declared an official Maiden by the court, reaching the age of 24 Camilla knew she had to get out and explore more. This is when she found Karkaura, in hopes and dreams she would succeed.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Many seem to believe these roles differ but there are many overlapping similarities, I will only be naming those of difference specifically under their given category.

Priests:
Performing rituals, teaching citizens of Karakura about the Monastery’s history, and ensuring the relationship between the offerings (offerers) and Kami’s are well. Although they tend to the whole shrine terrestrial, Priests have as many views as superior power in this relationship with Maidens.

Maidens:
Though tasks can vary in different parts of Japan the most common in Karakura is the sacred cleansing of the Shrine too, and performing a sacred dance (Kagura) which is a type of ritual ceremonial dance as the name means ‘entertain’. Although some maidens might have the chance to conduct an exorcism, in Karakura that practice from maidens isn’t commonly done.

Priests and maidens can both sell an Omamori, Omikuji paper fortunes, and tea rituals. Furthermore, they as well take care of the grounds.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

Taking the ladle in your right hand, scoop some water from the basin before you and pour it onto your left hand, then switch doing the same to your right hand. Once you’ve cleansed your hands, you’d pour a small amount into your left palm and rinse your mouth. After you’ve completed the cleansing, you’d then clean the ladle placing it back in its original position. Then enter the monastery.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
An offering to a Kami is sacred in Japan, especially in Karkaura. Upon arrival at the Monastery, a Maiden or Priest can help you but, if you wish to do your practice alone then you may. The steps are fairly easy, and you must follow and respect them. Walking up to the temple you’d ring the bell, making your presence known to your Kami. Once presented to the Kami, you’d then make your offer which could be many things, rice, yen, sake, and other higher-end valuables in Karakura. As you offer the Kami your items, you then follow with a bow and clap which you do twice. As you finish your second clap, place your hands together and lower your head to say the prayer you desire. Don’t speak it out loud as there are many people in Japan who believe the Kami will not hear it verbally, as you finish your prayer you then bow and say your goodbye. Exiting the shrine, you head off knowing you were heard.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
Greeting the guest with a bow upon entry, you’d then offer a small tea ceremony. If the guest accepts you’d direct them to the tea house which rests upon Monastery grounds, as they take a seat at the Chabudai you’d bow once more to the guest. Heading toward the small kitchen you’d find the kettle and prep the tea, in Karakura it is commonly known as Matcha or Green Tea. Once the kettle rises to the proper temperature and mixture, you’d take the kettle to the Chabudai, pouring it into a tea bowl which must be facing you as it is disrespectful if not. Once poured you may turn the bowl towards the guest with your right hand. Give a small taste to the guest, ask for their opinion and if they request more potency you may add to the mixture and then pour them a full cup. If the guest has finished the tea bowl, you’d refill the bowl out of respect. If the guest has finished, then take the bowl to its original home and bow once more to the guest. Helping their exit, you may.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda, and Kagura Suzu are and what they're used for:

Tamagushi: An offering made from Sakaki Tree Branch, decorated with Shide strips of Washi paper it can typically differ from Silk, to Cotton. These different materials all come into play in the different ceremonies held, which can be funerals, weddings, and any Shinto Shrine events. Tamagushi are presented to the Kami by shrine maidens or priests, as they have an ‘opening’ to communicate with many states.

Ofuda: A piece of paper commonly known as a talisman, it can be used in various ways. Throughout Japan, it is commonly hung on the walls of your household to bless you with certain protection or good fortune, and other wishes. Being made from several materials the most common are cloth, paper, and wood.

Kagura Suzu: A sacred performance called the Kagura dance uses Kagura Suzu which is a set of twelve bells. Being used by Miko Shrine attendants during this dance, it is commonly dangled with coiled brass or even copper although Coiled brass is the traditional manner. Being suspended with the bells in line of top to bottom, two, four, and six.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Camilla would worship the Kami Tenjin, commonly known as the Kami of scholarship, or deification of a scholar. Camilla although has learned of other cultures, she values her education and academic support far more than her own interests. She relates to Tenjin, being known at first as someone of natural disasters; they were later on recognized for being a poet and scholar. Camilla has struggled in the same affair, being recognized as a failure or someone who was not the best around others she soon got out and recognized for her networking and communication skills amongst her academics.

───────────────────────────────────────

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a maiden, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread