mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

My thoughts on the Server after (basically) 1 year

Omegabet_

Level 5
Note: This will likely get edited as i cant be asked to write it all right now; thus nothing is final.

Thought I'd make a post kinda summarizing my thoughts and experiences on the server since it has been ~10-11 months of play for me. Note that this will be my honest 2-cents/opinion on the server, and in no way do I think the server as a whole is bad; I will mention parts which I disagree with and I am always welcome to discuss things with others!

My time on the server (in general):
I found SRP on a Minecraft server list around late December and joined it and was so confused upon joining the server. The server felt boring but that was cause I had joined on an IC weekend. I knew it was a "school roleplay", so I'd come on here and then and hope it was school time.

The good:
First off, the player base is very good, bar the outliers obviously. It feels very easy to make friends and to become a regular player. The staff team is good at ensuring a safe environment given the public nature and the varied age range.
The "bad":
Like most things, the server has its flaws. The main issue I find with the server is that there tends to be bias in regards to teams. Obviously, tryouts are hosted when teams need members and that I agree with: it gives all players whose character meets the requirement a chance at getting on a team and developing their character in that light. The problem I have is when people are let on teams without trying out. This creates an issue of new players / players not in a social group to not have a chance to at least try and get on the team. I'm not going to name names, however I think most people can think of at least 1 instance when someone out of the blue gets added to a team.
Similarly the problem arises and creates a large dynamical issue: you have old, known players "vs" new/newer players. The odds a new/newer player just gets put on the team is near-0, thus pre-existing groups get further refined to be that group.
What is the point of tryouts if, at any point, someone can just be added to a team at the mercy of the captain/leader?

-Omega

Toto

Level 231
SchoolRP
SchoolRP
Rich
Yeah, there definitely is a bias, some older players hate the newer ones, others often belittle them (the people who think greenie memes are funny) and there are those like me who just don't care for it. Honestly, no matter what side you are on I think the bias is in place as a sort of trust-system, when you are a Captain you've gotta be knowledgeable about who is on the team. Older players have a easier time as they've been able to build up credibility over a long period of time whereas, the either unexperienced new players or the unknown players often get the short end of the stick. I agree that; however that is a problem it is simply a justifiable evil.

However; clear bias in which players are GIVEN ranks without going through the proper requirements like any other player is not something I see as just; I can agree with you on that front.

qbigail

Level 77
I'm not going to name names, however I think most people can think of at least 1 instance when someone out of the blue gets added to a team.
Hello! So I’m here to comment on this. If a team has one or two spots and they are willing to fill it, a PUBLIC tryout can be deemed as overwhelming and can take too long for what they are actually looking for. If they are literally looking for a new, singular teammate- they will host a PRIVATE tryout. Private tryouts consist of normally one or two people trying out so that they don’t have to wait until the team loses more members and PUBLIC tryouts are held. Many teams haven’t held public tryouts in a while, simply because they either don’t need members or have too little slots for a public tryout to be held. In conclusion, private tryouts are well... private and are normally scheduled in DMs. This is why they aren’t advertised in the Announcements. Hope this helped!

Users who are viewing this thread