Level 329
YonioTheNacho
YonioTheNacho
Omega+
What's your Minecraft Username?: YonioTheNacho
What's the title of your suggestion?: [NEW MINI-GAME] Catching Bugs

What's your suggestion?:
INTRODUCTION

This idea consists of a newly added mechanic where players are able to catch bugs to add them to their collection, allowing them to get trophies, rewards and money from selling them. This feature will be similar to that of fishing, but have its own twists. More will be explained below

HOW TO CATCH BUGS?

In order to catch bugs, the player will need a bug net item on them, which they can buy from a newly-added NPC for 5,000 yen. Once they have this item on their possession, bugs will occasionally appear around them granted that they're within a designated "Bug zone" (Forest, caves, sewers, etc.). This bug will fly around the area for a total of 10 seconds, before it disappears. The player must be able to catch it before it despawns. Doing so will reward the player with the bug they have just caught, placing it in their inventory!

Here is an example of how one of the bugs could look like in game:

HOW DO THESE BUGS SPAWN IN?

As said before, these bugs will spawn in designated "Bug areas". In here, players will receive a message like this will pop up in the player's chat, alerting them of the presence of such bug.

Moreover, for this event to trigger, the player must also have a Bug Net within their possession. This will prevent players who just want to roleplay from being bothered by this feature. Additionally, the player can also execute a command to toggle bugs spawning next to them.

WHICH BUGS CAN EXIST?

Bugs spawn in their designated bug areas. The main three areas that I have thought of are the following:
- Woods (Ochiba Forest, Itsbyoshi Trail, Zen Garden); Bugs spawning in this area are: Butterfly, Dragonfly, Wasp​
- Caves. (Bear Cave, Mountain Cave, NEW LOCATION*) Bugs spawning in this area are: Cricket, Firefly, Beetle​
- Sewers (Karakura Sewers). Bugs spawning in this are are: Fly, Mosquito, ****roach​
* If there is a lack of bug areas in the map, new locations could be built for lore purposes as well.

As seen above, some of these bugs are exclusive to their designated bug area. Moreover, there are two main types of bugs depending on their movement: flying bugs and crawling bugs. For the sake of simplifying things, bugs will be possible with the use of invisible armor stands that move around via pathfinding:
- Flying bugs. Their movement will be random-ish, but they'll try to fly away from the player as far as possible. The only requisite apart from this is making sure that the bug doesn't no-clip inside a block.​
- Crawling bugs. These bugs will focus more on fleeing the player by making sure that they follow gravity rules and don't no-clip into the ground.​

WHAT CAN I DO WITH BUGS?

Once you catch a bug by right-clicking it with your bug net, you will receive the bug as an item inside your inventory. You will be able to use these bugs for two different purposes:

- Bug trophies. The same NPC that sells bug nets will also sell Bug Trophy furniture pieces, which will require the player to bring the NPC at least 100 of the same bug. This will make it so these trophies are actually quite rare and valuable, as you can't really buy them with in-game money.​
- Profit. Bugs can be sold for profit to the NPC. Given the fact it'll be more difficult and interactive than fishing, the price for these bugs should be higher, and will depend on their chance; The rarer they are, the more expensive. However, the price for each bug should be 500 - 3000 yen each.​
- Bug Shop. Moreover, you can use bugs as a "currency" to buy items that will make the bug-catching grind more fun. Most of these items will be cosmetic (caps, accessories, plushies, etc.), and some others could even have a function within the grind (BUG SPRAY, which will boost the chances of bugs spawning in temporarily; BUG PERFUME, which will make it so any bug from the pool can spawn in regardless of your location temporarily).​

Besides, you can still keep the bugs as cosmetic pieces in case you want to prank your friends by bringing dead bugs to them, specially in school rivalry activities!

FEEDBACK

I made sure to include as much information about this project idea, but if you have any questions or aspects you'd like me to add in, let me know and I'll try to explain it as far as possible!

How will this benefit the server and community?:
This new mechanic will appeal to new players and add another grindy activity that also can't be abused or macro'd. Overall, it's a fun idea that could bring in new players and keep the already-existing ones entertained. While I won't deny developing this will take some time, I believe devs have managed to code much more complex things (vehicle math, gestures, etc.). Therefore, this idea should be possible

Last edited:

Popo

Level 49
DarkxWalker
DarkxWalker
Notable
Gotta say I love this idea and all. I am not against it, quite the opposite actually. I just believe the development team should currently cater to fixing some of the issues this server is facing, whilst also prioritising some of the undergoing implementations/upcoming updates.

+1, but this certainly won't be added for a long time if approved.

Arocatula

Level 195
Arocatula
Arocatula
Rich+
It reminds me of catching bugs in Zelda Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom (love those games but catching bugs is a giant pain)
I love the idea anyway, I'd love to see something like this implemented.

robinzee

Level 29
robinzee
robinzee
Rich
Maybe the only "bugs" the dev team should "catch" are the ones that happen on the daily, har-har.

Unfunny jokes aside, I think it's a pretty well thought-out suggestion. My only addendum to it would be adding a /togglebugs for those who have the bug catching net but don't feel like catching them just now. I carry my fishing rod everywhere I go, but that doesn't mean I'm planning on going fishing.

Last edited:

Yonio

Level 329
YonioTheNacho
YonioTheNacho
Omega+
Maybe the only "bugs" the dev team should "catch" are the ones that happen on the daily, har-har.

Unfunny jokes aside, I think it's a pretty well thought-out suggestion. My only addendum to it would be adding a /togglebugs for those who have the bug catching net but don't feel like catching them just now. I carry my fishing rod everywhere I go, but that doesn't mean I'm planning on going fishing.
Thanks for the feedback! Just added this to the post

Users who are viewing this thread