Nikko

Level 3
Shinsei Seinaru Monastery Staff Application

Out-Of-Character (OOC) Information

IGN:
Cheesechexmix

DISCORD TAG: Thomdar#0120

PREVIOUS BANS: N/A

DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS: I have a working microphone, and have interacted with the community commonly via headset on discord.

POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR: Shinto Priest / Shinkan

DISCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER: I have played on and off on the sever somewhat consistently for roughly three years, with the current character I am applying with existing for about a year and a half. Although I have a history of randomly dissappearing for extended periods of time, this has consistently been due to large intakes of responsibility in real life, something that is not likely at all to happen for at least another good few years considering my current position is very stable.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGON?: Much like my character, I have a special interest in any form of theology, mythology, or religions overall. I have already done a good portion of reading into the rituals of Shintoism, their regards to things such as death and various shrines, as well as various kamis and fables throughout history. I am more than excited to always learn more however, as the more I know, the more I can teach whenever someone may have a question.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?: Besides my previous history with this server's monastery as a whole, but also studying the religion, I have also spent a good portion of my time on SRP in a leadership position as the Student Council President. I am more than willing to step up and lend a hand wherever it may be, and believe my character is already a good fit due to their highly spiritual nature. To top it all off, I don't mind sitting on a rock self-rping until someone walks up the mountain to actually ask a question, or request anything else.

In-Character Information

FULL NAME:
Nikko A. Watson

WHAT IS YOUR AGE?: Twenty-one

WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?: Karakura has been a vast learning experience for myself. Coming into the city at a young age, I was raised in a primarily Catholic family with little understanding of Shintoism, or even the Japanese culture I should have been privy to experiencing as is. Growing up, I slowly shyed away from that harsh tradition of my lineage, coming first into contact with old fables primarily based in shinto and buddhist histories, from which I began to spring more and more into the two religions. The meditative practices of both philosophies molded my spirit and soul as I survived the harsh realities of this town. Buddhism formed the basis for my moral beliefs, and Shintoism my respect for the Kami of the world. As such, it only makes sense that I should give back to the very place that defined who I am. The Kami speak to us in many ways, we need only listen, and in order to listen we must first ensure the Monastery is taken care, something I intend to do to my fullest ability.

TELL ME WHAT HISTOY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONSATERY: Created in the summer of '742, the Shinsei Seinaru would not come fully into fruition until the winter months of '762. The grounds were originally intended for use by hermetic Buddhist monks, intending to live in peace as they focused on their teachings and meditations. Over time however, during the Ninth century, the monastery was officially turned into a worshipping site of a religion historically refered to as 'Ryobu Shinto' , a combination of traditional Shintoism and Buddhism. Following this time of primarily war, most individuals turned away from the monastery in favor of focusing on the ever more lucrative trade of combat. During this period only the more pious would approach the shrine, coming from across Japan as a stop on their great pilgramages. The monastery would only see a larger decline as the surrounding natural fauna was torn apart in favor of industrial revolutionization. From this point the monastery fell into its darkest hourt, as the last great Kannushi burnt down almost all of the monastery, save for the shrine of the great Yama-No-Kami. Now the shrine has been rebuilt, but a long road still stands to once again connect with the Kami that live among us, and even more must be done to repent.

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF: Born in England within the city of Ipswich to an English mother and Japanese father, I was the oldest of three siblings. We weren't long for English shores however, as around the age of three our family moved to Karakura, Japan. My mother had been offered a position as a surgeon within the hospital, and the pay was enough that she couldn't refuse. There wasn't much remarkable about me in my early years, family friends say I was a bit of a cry baby, I considered myself empathetic. Old fables and poetry were my only real special interest during such times, often reading myself to sleep, book still in hand as I woke up the next day. Over time I would grow a bit more sturdy in mind and body as Karakura took its hold on me, constricting and ever unescapable no matter how many times I did my best to escape. During my highschool years I joined the student council, eventually finding myself within the Presidental position for the highschool, spending most of my term serving alongside various other highly academic, or highly responsible students that I slowly grew to respect as time went on. Soon however, the position took a toll on my mental health and physical wellbeing. After a cleansing trip to Kyoto, I left the position, and focused my attention fully inward, exploring both my spirituality and reassessing my moral compass. With time, I found that the old Shinto stories I used to read made more and more sense, and I began to yearn for the feeling I used to feel attending the monastery for holidays and festivals. So, I first threw myself headlong into every religion I could, doing my best to learn how others felt and how they looked at the world around them through their perception of the Gods, or God in some cases. Yet still, it was only the Kami that truly connected in my mind. The spirits of the world itself, whether it be the stars or each blade of grass, it only made sense that everything was connected, that there was something beyond humanity that was both perfectly imperfect, and beautiful yet dangerous as a typhoon. Now I find myself at the event horizon of my research, of my faith, standing on the steps of the Monastery as I give one last prayer to the Yama-No-Kami, asking for the fortitude to withstand the tests to come, and for the permission I may need to stake my own destiny in this final twist of fate, and entertwine my legacy with that of the Shinsei Seinaru.

LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
"
Dear revered Mitsune, Higurashi.

I write you in understanding that the current position of Kannushi goes vacant within the Shinsei Seinaru, and as such trust that you hold both the authority, and the understanding of the words I concoct within this letter. I am not so bold as to attempt to claim the position at this time myself, yet I am sound enough of mind and confident within my skills and history to seek claim to the current position of Shinkan. This confidence does not come unfounded, as I have returned after a short leave from Karakura to attend Kokogakuin within Tokyo, which as you very well know is one of the two current professional institutions for training and credidation by the Jinja Honcho for the rank of Gonseikai. As such, I am more than qualified by academic merit to attend to the Shinsei Seinaru monstarey. Despite this, the primary reason I reach out to you, is so that I may give back. Shintoism has kept me from the brink of many things, pushing me further and further to find harmony within myself as efficently as I may. Therefore, it is only right that I must give back to the community that shaped my life, and in such I may shape the lives of others. My path lays within your hands, my life a string with which you may freely tug. Consider this letter carefully, consider these words caringly, and may I see you when the next moon rises.

Seeking enlightenment within the dawn, seeking peace within the dusk,
~Nikko A. Watson"

Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the shrine?:
Before anything, one must remember that despite there being a 'proper' way to enter shrines, the only real necessity is sincerity within ones actions. Should a step be forgotten, should one be missed completely even, it is forgiven as long as the steps that are taken are done so with sincere respect for the Kami inhabiting the shrine.

That being said, the first and most important rule is to always be respectful when approaching a torrii gate. Walk only on the sides, never in the middle for that is where the Kami walks. It is generally most polite to bow before proceeding, but if there were a step to skip, this step is the most forgivable as it is simply a formality for the surrounding Kami. Next, you will approach the temizuya in which you will take one of the ladels, and preferably without needing to refil it with the provided water; rinse your left hand, then transfer the ladel to your left hand and rinse your right, then transfer the ladel once again and pour some of the water into your mouth. Do not swallow the water during this step, instead one must spit the water to the side, away from others that may also be at the temizuya. Finally, use the remaining water by holding the ladel vertically and allowing the water to run down the handle. This is done both as a purification ritual, and to keep the visitors, shrine, and temizuya clean of germs. From here you will simply repeat any steps at torrii gates for larger shrines until you find yourself within the monastery grounds.

How are rituals to a Kami preformed?: Although there are many rituals, with hundreds and thousands of events and festivals being held throughout the year, there is generally a few consistencies no matter the Kami or ritual. First, before one interacts with a Kami one must undergo a purification ritual. These are most commonly forms of ritual washing, whether it be baths, the hands, local falls or springs, or simply with a Priest's cleansing wand. Afterward, a gift is almost always offered to the proceeding Kami by the attending Priest, usually food and various drinks. This is generally done to communicate with the Kami, most often only by offering them prayers. In larger and more specialized events, priests or attending mikos will act as mediators between the Kami and the attending festival goers, both asking questions to the Kami and answering with what the Kami has said.

What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?: Shinto Priests and Miko's both primarily spend their time taking care of the shrine's grounds and the Kami that reside within, but when not doing general grounds keeping duties, they also do work as community leaders, offering guidance and generally assisting with affairs when requested. Along with this the priests, and miko's that live within the shrine and don't spend their time off of its grounds, often work on various forms of poetry, art, and other pursuits as a place of cultural learning and history.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?: Traditionally refered to as miyamairi, the rite of passage is done traditionally for boy's thirty-one days after birth, and girl's thirty-three, though modern shintoism allows for anywhere between one month to one hundred days after the child's birth. During this, the attending priest or miko will swing their tamagushi while reciting a traditional prayer, after which they will state the child's name, the attending parent's name, and if any, the attending grandparent's name before stating the child's birthday. After which, the priest will offer the Kami the tamagushi, proceeded by each named parent coming up and offering their own tamagushi while reciting a prayery. After which, the process is complete.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?: To keep it relatively brief considering the current amount of research I've done on the subject, Shintoism is a religion primarily based on the concept of both communing with the Kami, divine spirits that inhabit just about everything within the waking world, and finding harmony with said Kami. This harmony is attempted to be found within every asset of life, striving for a state similar to zen buddhism by living a harmonious life. This is primarily earned through regular purification rituals to absolve one of any form of sin against the Kami, themself, or others, and through human sincerity. Sincerity is the most important emotion within the religion, with the early founders believing it is what sets human's apart, and is the only way to live a harmonious life as one approaches everything in life with said sincerity. Although more can be said about various rituals, Kami, and the history of Shintoism, it would be an overabudance of information considering the other individual would need a moment to ask any questions they may have, so this is where I would pause.

What is the name of the Kami that resides at the Monastery?: One of the numerous Yama-no-kami resides withinthe Shinsei Seinaru monastery, of which though it is assumed they are the type of Yama-no-kami that rules over the Mountain itself, and not the surrounding aggriculture as some do.

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you haven't already (as we've moved to the Town Discord), go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Shinkan role (make sure to include your age) ; if no staff are able to assist fill out a form here for staff to get back to you

If you have any questions, dont hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread