NokiaNok

Level 3
SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY APPLICATION
───────────────────────────────────────
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):

Nokturnl (Main Account)

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
nokturnl (theres no more tags for me, sorry!)

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
its usually AEST but due to daylight savings its AEDT gmt +11, I do overnightwork so Im usually on at 7am-10 am or 6pm to 10pm

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes, I have a functioning mic and am wwilling to speak in calls and such.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I try to be on as much as possible, every morning I hop on to either my Main account or my other two accounts-
Recently I've had a personal issue so I couldn't be on as much but I am making up for lost time
and Im certain I will put as much of my time as I can if I get this role.
I am always active on discord and respond to messages and @'s very frequently so if
I am not on when needed I can always quickly hop on at anytime if and when I am needed.
I have played on SRP for about 2 years, since 2021- I used to be in the teaching faction
o I do know that for roles in factions you need to be able to Be active and I promise you that I will be.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shrine Priest.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
My current knowledge of Shintoism is more towards the technical side-
How to properlly walk through Torii gates, shrine Etiquette on how to pray or how to simply pay respect if you don't wish to pray,
I know about how you must purify yourself with the ladle before you step into shrines. I know about Kamidamas and what they mean,
I also know the basics of the 3 basic grounds/beliefs of Shinto (Nature/earth, Family ancestors and the community deeds.)
I also know basic knowledge from media and Games but I don't wish to add that to my Application cause I cannot say if the games were correct.
I am willing and prepared to learn even more about Shintoism- It is a old Religion with more knowledge most people could ever want to know,
And I definitely do want to know more about it.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I don't think at face value I stand out from other Applicants, Reading through them shows me that they are as passionate and
willing to learn and grow from this position as I am- But I am always willing and determined to learn more when I get accepted into this role.
I know my knowledge is lacking compared to others but I am positive I am Eager to learn more about this role and the tasks it presents.
I know being a priest not only requires time and commitment but is a very important role in the religion and one that should not be taken lightly
and I promise I will dedicate myself and make sure I can help others and guide them through my positions.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, I acknowledge that I will have to attend Mandatory training.

( I'm so excited to attend mandatory training! I also acknowledge that I will not be able to leave the mountain until training is done or if I'm with someone who has completed training.)

In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

"Evangaline H. Delarosa, But I prefer to be called Vannie"

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
"Miss, or Mx- gender neutral!"

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
"I'm 24, thanks for asking!"

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
"Unmarried, But I am dating Eris Fujiwara."

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
(/ooc Im ngl I looked Up nationality but I got confused so bare with me)

"I've lived in Karakura since Grade 7, Before that I lived in a small Village off the coast of Mexico with My grandparents and my father.
My father is Japanese, He was raised in Karakura while my mother was Mexican raised near Santa Ana."

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
"(030)-426-8206"

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
"There is so many things I could write here, That I love the shrine- That I grew up hearing about the Kami and spirits from my father- But I'd like to talk about my most recent reason why I want to work at the Monastary. I was diagonsed with Autism, Its not life threatening or even scary to me- But I had already been told that I wouldn't get accepted for a lot of things, At the school fair actually I heard that- I was was so upset and honestly felt like I had no purpose. I was down trotten, upset but I passed by the Monastary booth, I'm not going to lie at first I didn't give it a second thought- But then one of your priest made me feel so welcomed. It was if the rejection prior was instantly erased, She helped answer my questions and even let me know that I wouldn't get rejected for something like that. My father always told me how kind the Maidens and Priest were- but I had never experienced it so first hand. I stayed there for what felt like hours, Watching the booth- Looking at the artifact models they brought in, I knew there and then I wanted to be apart of it. Even after finding out about the training and all that, I wanted to learn more about it all- It was a tough choice though, I knew I wanted to work at the Monastary but choosing which position I most wanted to apply for? it was difficult - And this is going to read very weirdly but do keep reading."

"I was filling out the application to apply for this Position, well like I said I knew I wanted to work in the monastary but not what position- I was sitting in one of the areas around the cherry blossom tree stressing about filling out this application. It's a big deal in my eyes- I want to be in this poisiton for as long as I can, but I felt so dejected- not only that I felt like I wasn't going to be able to complete this and confidently send it in. As I was sitting there, A crow landed near me- I didn't notice it at first but I slowly started to open up to it, about my worries and stresses. It sat and listened to me- It sounds crazy but the bird gave me confidence, reminded me that I wanted this not just because I want to work- No because I want to make a difference, I want to be able to be the priest that inspires others and I know its probably a hard and tough job- But I promise I will put 100%, No 200% Into learning and growing into this position when I get it. Reading this you may find me weird and crazy, But the shrine gave me security in my life- That crow gave me the push I needed to submit this form and to decide that yes I want to be a priest. So yes, In a lot of words my most recent motivation for applying here is because of a crow, but isnt it small things like that that build up to bigger things?"

"I would also like to add that in the writing of this Application I witnessed A Kitsune, I mean that was wild- I just wanted to mention that. That was life changing- made me want to be a priest even more. I sat there for a whole night listening to Kitsa "

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
"So, Im not going to lie- I do not know much about the monastary except from what I read at school from a book, and from what others have told me- So keep an open mind!"

"So from what I remember the Monastary has one predominant God or Kami named Chiharu Yamastumi. The Monastary itself has been here for a very very long time- Like It was built back in the 700's by buddist monks, it took 20 years to build it? But i know it didn't always have the name Shinsei Seinaru- It was previously called Akatera Monastary. The monastary has been burt down twice, The first time because of a rebellion held by the Buddist monks- The second time it was burnt down was to send a message because the people of Karakura Didn't like the Warlord who ruled over Japan! however sometime in the 1600's it was rebuilt again and now stands as our (Karakuras) Oldest buildings and a symbol of hope."

"I also know that the Monastary itself has a lot of things- but I think the coolest one is the old shrine that survived the fires. Even though the whole place has been set on fire twice- it still stands strong and I honestly think that itself is a blessing. Besides from that Shinsei Seinaru Monastary have giftshops, an onsen bath area, A dojo and a tea house."

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
"To Whom this may concern, The monastary lead.

My name is Vannie, I hope this letter finds you in good health and blessings. I write to you today about the training and position of becoming a priest at the Monastary. You probably get a lot of these So I will keep it brief, I would love it if you would consider my application to become a priest and learn more about everything that has to do with this Monastary. I Believe I am fully suited for the position and will put my whole being into it, I will complete the training and learn from everyone. Im sure there are a lot of others who are considering and I also wish them luck, but I am confident that I am a correct choice.

I am an outgoing yet weird person, You probably can tell from my Application for the position- But I care for all my friends, even those I have yet to meet. I feel like I can help those like how the monastary has helped me.

Sorry, I wrote a bit too much- but I hope this helps when deciding on who will be the next priests.

- Evangaline H. Dela rosa."

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Evangaline was born to a Mr Arakawa kuji and Miss Carmen Núñez Dela rosa, They were never married- not that they didn't love eachother but they had no money. Evangaline grew up in a village off the coast of Mexico- a dangerous place for someone who didn't seem to have the same features. People were judgemental of her, it was a small minded village- She had japanese genes and Mexican which to them was foreign, not good. She didn't mind it though- Her mother and Her were close, she was the only friend Vannie needed, Her mother taught Ballet professionnally and wanted her to go down the same path. Sadly at the age of 10 Vannies mother passed due to health complications, leaving her with her Grandparents as her father worked in the states to send them money- but flew back once he found out about the death. Most of what happened next is blocked out of Vannies mind, She can barely remember it- But she does remember her father sitting down with her, explaining how wher only friend had to go.

The next few years were rough on Vannie- Her father was constantly leaving for work, Her grandparents were kind but it was never the same friendship that she had with her mother. Not only that she struggled in school- having meltdowns and barely being able to be in class, It didn't help that she wwas alienated by the Village for her looks and for her just being herself. A few months before Vannie started Grade seven, Her father had a fight with her grandparents- and before she knew it she was dragged across the sea to Karakura, her fathers home town. She was anxious as she had never been away from her small village, and from what her father described it was a city! but arriving there was amazing- Vannie had never seen a place so big.

School was difficult even in Karakura for Vannie- She was still alienated for her weird manurismns and overall weirdness, Her fixation of frogs and Photography, But she didn't mind. In Karakura she discorvered tv and Mangas- where the characters were like her; outgoing, weird, loud. Yet in the shows and books they were always surrounned by friend and family, in a weird way those characters became her own family. Sadly her father also passed, a drunk driver hitting him leaving Vannie alone with just a stuffed animal to remind her of him- she was broken.

All the trauma seemed to bite as her insides as she slowly felt worse about herself- she felt weird and depressed, he was constantly bullied and beat up for saying things she didn't know were wrong for for simly just liking things a bit too much. somewhere around grade 12 Vannie got Diagnosed with Autism and Depression- she was already told how many jobs would be unavailable to her sadly, she didn't expect anything else- she was already losing hope. One night changed her whole life really- She was at the pier when she met a very pretty person, she has a habit of going up to people and just taking photos so she asked if she could take a photo of them. That person was Eris Fujiwara, Vannie had no sense of Stranger danger and it was normally a bad thing, She offered Eris the spare room in her flat- then got lectured by Eris about stranger danger but that didnt concern her, she was happy to finally have a friend.

And friends they were- They spent months together chatting and hanging out, Vannies life couldn't get any better in her opinions- that was until Eris confessed to her. Vannie had been conflicted- He had a previous lover who disapeared one night and was scared, it took a while before Vannie could confidently say to herself that She also liked Eris. And on pride of 2023, Vannie asked Eris to be her Girlfriend- Proudly showing her off everywhere. That was the only reason Vannie felt like she got through school, finally having someone who got her and cared for her.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

The priests, Or the Shinshoku have many duties- but also share some duties with the Shine maidens, or the Miko.
The shared duties Include Taking care of the shine; it is an important task as you don't want the place of worship being disgusting for the Kami and spirits.
The priests and Maidens work in conjuction with eachother to teach the Beliefs of the Shinto religion to anyone who wishes to learn about it.

The Priest are essentially the connection of the Kami to the public, to help the public connect to the Kami,
which does mean that they conduct and officiate all ceremonies requested by the citizens.
Not only that, They also offer guidance, Providing advice to whoever needs it when people come to the shrine.
They can host Weddings, Fourtune Telling, purifications rites and many other things.
Being a priest is a community role, You have to engage with everyone- you also need to work as a team with other priest and Maidens.

The Maidens are also equally important to the Monastary, They assist priest with their tasks and even have their own Duties
for example preforming the sacred dance, which is called Miko Kagura. They also do other things like
office work, Selling in the shrine shops, They also assist in the running of ceremonial and ritual situations.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
When you first enter after passing through the Torii
(The Torii gates have their own steps, But to cut to the chase: you must Bow slightly then walk on the left side of the path-never the middle as that is for the Gods, not us. you must also take the first step though it with your left foot.)
You will see a though filled with with water, Traditionally it is called the Chozuya- a large basin with Wooden dippers (Traditionally called the Hishaku).
It is important that you always purify yourself before you head into a sacred area such as a shine.

The first step is to take one of the wooden dippers in your right hand, scooping up some water in it.
Slowly pour the water over your left hand, making sure not to splash the water.

The second step is to change the dipper to your left hand, making sure not to touch your right hand with your Purified left hand-
before scooping up some more water and slowly pouring it over your right hand.

The third step is to take the dipper back into your right hand,
scooping some more water into it before puring the water into the palm of your left hand to rinse your mouth-
do not ever bring the dipper to your mouth.
Afterwards you also must not swallow the water, instead spit out the water to the rocks below, not into the basin itself.

Fourth, you'll need to clense your left hand again-
using your right hand to scoop water with the dipper before slowly pouring it over your left hand- just as prior.

fifth, hold the dipper upright with both of your hands-
running the leftover water down the handle of the dipper. It is important to cleanse the dipper for the next person.

after that you are done, SImply place the dipper back into its original position- scoop side down.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
There are many things you can offer to a Kami, The most common one being money.
There are different ways of offering that differ depending on the Shrine itself, but Generally the steps of making an offering are the same.

Firstly you need to bow infront of its gate, showing respect and reverence to the Kami that you are offering to- you would also bring whatever you are offering with you as you arrive. Wether that be money, Sacred foods (or Shinsen) or other items.

We'll say for this time we will be donating with money, the most common form of offering. First you would put your money into the offering box (Most usually put more that 500 yen since anything under that is considered bad luck, or if you aren't offering money place the offering next to the offering box.

next you need to turn around and ring the bell to let the Kami know about the offering, It is usually situated neat the offering box itself.

Then you'll need to bow deeply twice, afterward you'll need to clap twice- when you clap makesure your right hand is slightly lower than your left..

If you also wanted to pray, do so after clapping twice- and quietly, unlike christianity you do not need to pray outloud.

one you are done pray bow deeply one more time.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
The tea ceremony host will establish a designated space known as a tea room, and is preformed for enjoyment and zen, meaning to bring innter peace to all parties.

This traditional setting typically features a tatami mat floor, an alcove displaying works of art and a table where the tea is served.
Before guests can enter They are asked to Purify themselves just as they did when entering the shrine, they also must remove their shoes before entering the Tea room.
The person hosting the Tea ceremony will offer them Sesonal treats to they guestwhile they wait for the host to prepare the matcha.

The host will then ritually cleanse each of the tools they need; Including the Tea bowl and whisk. following that the host will start to prepare the Matcha by heating the water and whisking the mixture in a tea bowl until it is frothy before being served to the guests, you would also once again offer them seasonal treats while this is happening. The etiquette of the tea ceremony goes:

The Host will pass the Tea bowl to the guest to take a sip, The front of the bowl must be facing the guest before they pick it up. when they lift it- they must use their right hand to lift it and place it on their left palm, before once again using their right hand to turn the tea bowl 90 degrees clockwise so the front is no longer facing them. They will drink the tea in a few sips then place it back down- before bowing and expressing gratitude after they have recieved and finished the tea.

Once finished, turn the bowl so that the front now faces the host. The host may ask if the guest would like another round of tea,
and if not, the tea ceremony is over when the host washes the tea utensils and returns the equipment to where they were before starting.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamagushi, Otherwise refered to as "Jewel Skewer" is a form of Shinto offering,
A small branch from a sakaki-tree decorated with shide strips of washi papaer, silk or cotton.
They are normally presented as offerings to Kami during Weddings, Funerals or other rituals.

Ofruda's are a talismanic emblem, inscribed with the appellation of a Kami. It is used to protect yoou from evil spirits or bring good luck.
These talismans are frequently used In homes, places of work or even in peoples cars to make sure it's blessed by the Kami.
They can be made out of many different materials but the most common ones are paper, wood and cloth.

Kagura suzu are a set of twelve bells, The bells are suspended on three brass rings, wrapped around a wooden post in tiers;
two bells at the top, four in the middle, and six bells in the bottom tier.
Kagura Suzu are used in the Cerimonal dance that the Shrine maidens do, which is called Miko Kagura; a sacred japanese dance and music ritual dedicated to the Kami.

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a priest, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread