oyokan

Level 1
SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY APPLICATION
───────────────────────────────────────
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
oyokan

DISCORD NAME & TAG: hyamuko#2633

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: gmt+7, twelve hours apart but i can be on when the other's can't!

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS: none!

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: only the built in one :’)

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
Active on weekends, less so on weekdays. I align my playtimes with when people are usually on, which is often early morning for me. Should I get chosen to become a maiden I might become more active to tend to the visitors of the shrine, during active and inactive server times.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?: i want to make my character a miko!

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I think I know enough! I know the basics, plus some gods and the temple setting. I know how girls are traditionally trained to become miko and I know how a modern part-timer maiden, which, I'm assuming is the role I will be taking, might operate. Of course I am really interested in shintoism and would love to learn more, especially in a more casual environment between people who are around as invested as I am.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?:
I think I'm best suited for this position because I can play the role while also adding my own fun twists to it, making the roleplay fun, but also accurate to real life. I have a good grasp on Japanese culture, meaning I would know not only the maiden's practices, but the visitor's as well. Also, while it may not be shinto practice, but I know the maidens sometimes do tarot readings for visitors. As someone who has two decks I can interpret meanings between cards like an actual reader, using that mysterious, mystical, magic asian vocabulary.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
The idea sounds really fun to me, actually! I’d love to roleplay maiden training, as I think learning how to do certain rituals and playing out certain shrine related scenarios could lead to a lot of interesting character development for my character.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:
Hajime Tsukigata

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss): Miss

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80): 18? is it okay for her to apply straight after high school? should i age her up if she gets the position?

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS: Single

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY: Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER: (030)-665-9769

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
I find comfort in the shrine. The miko have shown me kindness in my time of need. I'd like to pass that baton of kindness to someone in a similar way.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
I’m sorry… I never asked about it. But, whether I get accepted or rejected, I will learn. (i know its history oocly but i don’t think hajime would know)

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
To the Kannushi,

I hope you are reading this letter in good health. I am writing to you with hopes of getting hired to work at the Shinsei Seinaru shrine. I remember the first wish I made when I first arrived in Karakura: I wished for a happy life. I've made many others in the past three years, but only that one came true. I believe that is the Kami's way of granting my first. I am not very intelligent, and my knowledge on shintoism is limited, but I want you to consider me nonetheless. I wish to help around the shrine and eventually become a fully fledged miko, helping visitors in their worship of the kami, as I am quite devoted myself.

Thank you for your time, from Tsukigata Hajime

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Hajime Tsukigata was born in the small city of Hikone on the 1st of January XXXX. Raised in her father’s kimono shop with her parents and grandparents, Hajime was the only child of Getsumei and Hotaru Tsukigata. A refined girl with below average grades could only go to a local high school, or Karakura if she wanted to go elsewhere. Desiring more than her life in Hikone, she moved in with a friend who already lived in the city.

Hajime was enrolled into Karakura High, and lived a more than eventful high school life. During this time she would frequent the Shinsei Seinaru shrine to make offerings and buy omamori before and after tests, on top of the usual occasions one would visit the shrine for.

Despite her efforts in improving her grades, she was rejected by all universities she applied to, including Karakura University. There was a period of time where she shut herself in her apartment, only coming out to buy food, or to visit the Shinsei Seinaru shrine to pray. After two months, Hajime concluded that life in Karakura suits her just fine. She is now taking her step to become a working adult.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinkan and miko have the duty of taking care of the shrine, from cleaning to spiritual cleaning to ensuring that the kami are happy and entertained. They may be tasked with purifications of the shrine or of visitors, or selling fortunes and charms. They also handle shinto weddings and funerals and other ceremonies.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Rinse your left hand, then your right hand, then your mouth, before holding the ladle upright to let the water fall back into the trough. Don’t let it spill before between rinses, and do not spit the water into the trough.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
The offering box is popular with visitors. You throw in your money, bow twice, clap twice, ring the bell to get god’s attention (if there is a bell), and pray. You’ll most likely be doing this to ask something of a kami. Bow one more time once you’re done praying.

It’s also possible to donate food or sake to shrine staff and have them offer it along with other people’s offerings. You can also do this in the shrine in your home. All food offerings are to be put in a purified room.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
The host prepares the tea in front of the guests, note that this is the type of powdered tea you have to use the chasen(tea whisk) for. Once prepared, guests drink it in a peaceful atmosphere in little sips. The cup should be picked up with the right hand and held in the left palm, front facing away from the drinker.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
The tamagushi is a sakaki branch with shide(the zigzag shape) paper or cloth hanging off of it. They're offered to the Kami during ceremonies, and also used to purify in some cleansings.

Ofuda are like the omamori’s grandpa. They have the kami’s power in them, and they might fulfill certain wishes for protection or other. An ofuda can range from a huge metal plate to a piece of wood to a paper strip.

The kagura suzu is a wand with twelve bells attached to it in three tiers. You will see it being used by the miko when they perform the Kagura. (The sacred dance to entertain the gods.)

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 85
Shrine Lead
Lore Team
DENIED

Your application to the shrine is appreciated, however, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app due to its lack of detail. Feel free to reapply in the future! As an additional note, for applications you can put an age that your current tag isn't. None of the tagged job roles will accept an 18 year old character, for the shrine the minimum is 21, whereas most other factions it's 25.​

Users who are viewing this thread