jayy#7777

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:

MST

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:

N/A - Just a warning a while ago for arguing with someone

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:

I doooo

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

Well a lot of my time is spent on my doctor account, since I had recently been brought onto the faction. I’m typically on for a few hours a day, though, some days I’ll be on way more than others. I’ll always be on at least once a day, 5-6 hours at max. I have multiple accounts, so I can hop between any of them.- I’m also apart of the bobcats female volleyball team, so a lot of my time is sort of spent there. - While i’m already apart of a huge, and fast paced faction, i’d love to get an opportunity to do something other than just.. Save lives!

Keep in mind that i work during the day, so I’m typically on during the peak hours of the server, which i believe is *chefs kiss*

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:

Priest

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

Shintoism:
In short, Shintoism is a religion in japan. - -

Originating from Japan way back then, Shintoism is based on the belief and celebration of the Kami. Kami, also another word for: a divine being, or god. Kami is the representation of the positive and negative side of life. It is believed that they take the form of the important things in life, such as: wind, trees, nature - Nature alone could’ve been a way to describe Kami. Humans are believed to become kami after death. As stated in the beginning, Shintoism is a religion in Japan, though, others are free to partake in such a religion. - Not to mention, it is one of Japan's oldest religions, if not, the oldest! It really depends on how you notice it.

While my knowledge on the whole thing, SRP terms at least, is a little foggy, I wouldn’t mind learning all about it! It seems like a lot of fun. Though, I'd like to think SRP's interpretation of Shintoism is similar to real life - atleast from my experience.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

I’ve been told often that every character I make is a rollercoaster of emotions - always finding a way to spark a huge scene in a boring Roleplay. I always have a way of creating situations, as well as roleplaying out and doing other things completely different from others. Not to mention - I’m good at detailrping and writing! I always find myself creating interesting and far beyond unique of a character.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:

As long as we can work out a time, I’d 100% be able to.

In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Sutābōi Jo
(starboy)

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):

Mister

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:

Unmarried

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:

Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:

Tbd (i dont.. have a phone on this acc.. I WILL THO!)

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

I enjoy how quiet and peaceful the place is. My first visit is definitely one to remember, as I remember approaching the steps and seeing the maidens waiting for me. The environment around it is nice, as well as the people inside of it. I want to be apart of the Shrine, so I can experience what it was like to see

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

I know that before Shinseu Seinaru Monastery was built, there were two others - both burnt to the ground. Back in 1176, the Akatera Monastery was burnt to the ground as a result of an outraged.. Family. - Years later, leading into 1228, the second Monastery, Kisune Monastery was constructed. For a while, it seemed alright, until a couple hundred years later when it was burnt down. Again, another result of an outraged group. See the pattern? - Around 1617, the construction of Shinsei Seinaru Monastery came to an end, where it’s still standing to this day.

There are reasons to why it's built on a mountain - but through my eyes, as well as many others, I'd think of it as a way to connect to the Kami.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

10/2/2023

Dear Monastery Lead,

I’m sending this letter out in hopes of reaching you. . Eventually. I often spend a lot of my time at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, mostly as a secondary home incase I needed to get away. I enjoy the peace and quiet, rather than the loud and busy streets of the city. I visit often with my grandmother Amaterasu Jo, and find myself ranting away about the life of the Kami. - Anyways, enough about that.

I’m really sending this out. . In hopes of seeking an opportunity of becoming a Priest? I know it’s quite much to ask, as we haven’t met in person, but I’d hope to see to it. I know a bit about Shintoism, as it was something I’ve brought upon myself growing up. - I can bring free smiles, and offer a lifetime of fun for the sake of everyone around, as well as teach the younger people about Shintoism! I'm quite interested in this.

I hope to hear back from you. . Someday!

Yours,
Sutābōi Jo

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

Sutābōi Jo:

Born on the west end of Karakura, Japan, Sutābōi Jo was born first of twins. Date? September 26th, 1997. Exactly 5:45 in the morning.
  • -
Sutābōi Jo spent most of his childhood away from his twin, as they were separated at birth. No one knows the true reasoning behind it, but this led to two different perspectives, and how they were treated. Sutābōi Jo got the bad end of the deal, growing up with a family of those who.. Didn’t understand him. - Sutābōi was a religious kid growing up, as the only person he really felt safe around was his grandmother, Amaterasu Jo. Her name meant the most, as she was quite literally an angel.

His childhood was pretty boring for the most part. He didn’t fight, he didn’t kiss girls, he didn’t really talk to anyone. He typically shut the doors on anyone trying to get close, and shoved his nose in a book. . Usually a religious one. - Some say his life is boring, while others thing it’s too ‘cliche’, considering the household he grew up in and how he acted. - As time went on, and he matured, puberty was right around the corner. He didn’t believe in “falling in love”, as his heart only belonged to his religion.

Throughout his high school years, Sutābōi slowly drifted away from what little family he had left. . At least the ones he’s been around his whole life. He rarely spoke to anyone, and when he did, it was simple small talk exchanged between two table partners - a little silly. One kid stood about amongst them all - a transfer student from Australia: August Murphy. A pretty girl, roughly the same age as Sutābōi, was really the only ‘friend’ Sutābōi had. They often spent their time together reading novels and talking about the supernatural.

August wasn’t necessarily a religious person; growing up in a more modern - typical christian household. She later moved on from that, and got more settled into Shintoism - the Sutābōi affect, as she’d like to call it. Together, they visited the shrine together, praying often and offering their gifts to the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery kami. - A year or so passed, and Sutābōi and August drifted apart. What once was a daily book reading, and sci-fi talked, turned into nothing more than wave as the two passed each other through the halls. They still saw each other at the shrine - awkward. - Unfortunately, August moved back to Australia. . Or what she had told Sutābōi - though, who really knew what went through her head.

As time went on, he got fully invested into his religion. He got a small part-time job as a server for a local cafe, where he’d visit the shrine everyday after his shift ended. During this time, he also had his own apartment and was attending Karakura’s College Campus. He had little to no contact with his twin at this time, but word got around, and she was also a native to Karakura. - Now, Sutābōi spends his time traveling around Japan, visiting other cities and shrines to pass the time, as his real family sends him money. . Almost as a way to apologize for abandoning him. Rude, right? - He makes plans on returning to Karakura, probably to live at the Shrine.. But for now, who knows.

547 words
(It was a little messy, since I just made him, but i'll update it and reword it soon!)

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Priests:

The ‘one’s closest to the Kami’, or a way I’d put it. - They’re in charge of creating ceremonies, as well as performing the Shinto rituals. They typically live on the shrine grounds, and often spend their time higher up, away from others. Thought, it’s not uncommon to speak to one. Don’t be shy. - They wear blue, instead of red the maidens wear.

Maidens:

A little different from being a priest; the Shrine Maiden is often seen more, usually hanging around the lower half of the shrine, by the stairs. They don’t leave the shrine either, quite like the priests. They’re often the ones you see do the cleansings, as well as perform the sacred Kagura dance - typically women, though.

All together though, everyone apart of the monastery work together to keep it a safe haven for everyone welcomed. They clean, and often care for the multiple buildings around the monastery. They're there to help you, so don't be shy!

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

Upon entering the shrine, you’ll be greeted by the purification trough, AKA the temizu ritual, where you’ll cleanse your hands and face. You’ll typically start with either a ladle, or just your hands, cleaning the left one, before cleaning the right one and so on. Once your hands are cleaned, you cleanse your face. Some even wash their mouths out. Who knows! - This judges whether you’re purified for the Kami or not.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

Offerings are usually performed when someone meets with a Priest and brings their offering to give to the Kami. Most of the time, its small things such as salt, rice, or even rice cakes. It’s the small things that matter. You often pray to the Kami as well, showing your respect for them. Another way to perform an offering is leaving a 100 yen in a little yen box and clapping your hands twice. Often or not, a small delicate meal or snack is given to honor the Kami. As mentioned above, small things such as rice ate often offered to a Kami. Some choose to offer sake wine, seaweed and vegetables. - Some prefer to call it the meal of the deities.

Yen Box:

Rather than offering only food for the Kami, those visiting the shrine may choose the yen box. It's a small box, usually found in spots across the monastery. - These boxes are open for anyone, and you can leave your donation of yen for the Kami. The amount you give is up to you, but, I've learned that ¥10, and ¥500 are rather 'evil', since I believe they keep you from achieving your goals - a little fun fact.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

Before progressing with the ritual, you must make sure it’s in a peaceful, purified place. A good portion of them take place in the shrine tea houses, specifically made for them. - It is a ceremonial way of preparing green tea, typically in a tea house, also known as a tatami room. A bowl of tea is passed around to each guest.

Preparation:

Take your utensils, usually a pot and water, and use an incense. That option is up to you, but most of the time, Shrine workers do it. Set aside the tea bowl, and the matcha.- The incense is used to cleanse the bowl, but again, that’s an option. Sprinkle the powder into the bowl, pour the water over it, and pass it around to each guest before you are served. Occasionally, treats are given out and eaten before hand, but some don’t offer those. - After the bowl is emptied, the host may ask for another round of tea, but that is completely up to the guests.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Tamagushi:
An offering of Shintoism, crafted from a branch of the sakaki-tree. These are usually handed out during weddings or funerals; presented to the Kami.

Ofuda:
A talisman made of various materials ranging from wood, paper, cloth, or metal. I like to believe that they’re the form of a Kami, protecting their holder.

Kagura Suzu:
A set of twelve bells used in a sacred Kagura dance. - They’re suspended by coils rooting from the handle to produce different sounds

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

2264 (?) words

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 85
Shrine Lead
Lore Team
DENIED

Your application to the shrine is appreciated, and after an incredibly tough decision, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app due to not having enough open slots. Next time you apply, try to add a little bit more detail to your responses.​

Users who are viewing this thread