Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
iheartwomen420

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
lalyah701#7214

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
My time zone is EST.

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:
I do not have any previous bans across any of my accounts.

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
I do have a microphone.

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
On the server, my activity ranges depending, but overall, across all my accounts I would say I’m on a solid 7 on a scale of 1-10. I have been active on this server since I first joined, which has been over nine months now though I have taken needed breaks at times. Even though I still logged on to do the things I was required to, including openings, quota, meetings, etc. I’m very active on this server, because of the many things I take part in. I am usually on the server for around five hours on weekdays, and much longer on weekends. This depends on my schedule, but usually, I am free. I can also get on even when I’m offline if needed and if I’m available. I have taken part in many different kinds of roleplay on this server before even joining. I was very active in GangRP for a long time. I have been working in the school faction for a very long time now, I was accepted in March of last year and have been actively working since then. I did take two months of inactivity break, but other than that I have finished my mandatory quota and extra. I do plan on finally quitting next month, as I have been doing it for a long time. I was accepted into EMS a few months ago and am currently an Attending Psychiatrist. I have done some different faction jobs while on the server, but I have also done more StudentRP. On my main account, I am a college student and have been for around six months, then I have also taken part in JockRP. Though my activity could be much more on one account than another, it can depend on my motivation to play that account. Though that doesn’t stop me from doing what is required of me and more. Also, I have taken time before joining new factions, making sure I myself am ready to take on more and that I find one I enjoy. One that I will have the motivation to take part in.
Update: I have quit from School faculty and am only in EMS.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
I am applying to be a Shinto Priest.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I have a basic knowledge of Shintoism and am still currently looking into it more. Though, my knowledge isn’t as nearly as much as I’d like to say. Even so, I still have been doing research and have learned a lot more than I knew before. My knowledge on Kamis is a lot more than other things. The knowledge I have on religion is mainly the basics. This includes the rituals, certain items that are used, the origins of the religion, morals, beliefs, and much more. Then I learned a lot more information about the different Kamis, also known as deities and spirits. I found out information about how they came into existence, the basic order of the different Kamis, along with their purpose and how they died. I have a lot of interest in the different Kamis, and their origins so my knowledge is a lot about that. Though I know my knowledge isn’t nearly as much, I am more than willing to learn about the religion and prepared to learn. I actually look forward to it and learning more.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?:
There are a lot of great applications, I won’t deny that. Other applicants seem to show a wider knowledge of the Shinto religion, including its surrounding influence on both traditional and modern societies. While I may not have much knowledge of Shintoism, I believe I could be chosen for my strong work ethic, while putting in extra research outside of my training periods. This will be so that I can provide a wholly accurate and in-depth experience for those visiting the shrine in Karakura. I wouldn’t say I am a sociable person, but I can easily get along with a lot of people. Though even if I don’t consider myself a sociable person, I will still talk to people if I am talked to and show a great deal of respect. I can and will strike up a conversation if I feel it is needed and appropriate. I still plan to get to know people in the faction I work at as I feel that is an important part. I feel like I would be a good fit for this faction and a good addition to the team. I already know a few people who work in this faction, and they are all lovely people. That says nothing but good things about the faction, and I’m sure the other people will be no different. I have no doubts that I am fit to work at this faction. I can also say that if I am chosen over other applicants, I will put a lot of time into this faction and help it grow even more than it has.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, I do. I will make sure to attend the training, if I can’t, I will make someone aware beforehand. I will also be willing to do makeup training if those are available. I look forward to this training so that I can learn more about the Shrine, Shintoism, and the role I will be playing.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Surikaru Rapizora

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Mr. Rapizora

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Single

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese and Salvadorian

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030)-083-2950

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“My motivation for applying? Well, I guess you could say it started when I was younger. I wasn’t born in Karakura, I was born in Chiba. While growing up my household followed the Shinto religion, except for two people but they still respected and accepted it. My mother was a big influence on my interest in Shintoism. We didn’t live close to the Shrine in our town, so it was a little bit away. Even though my mother would always take me there whenever she could, she wanted me to see it in a new light. Her love for the Shrine and the religion eventually became something I loved also. My family was different, which was bound to happen with all the people who lived in one house. Everyone followed different kami and worshiped them, while others may not have worshiped that kami specifically. As I grew up I still found myself very close to religion, it was important in my day-to-day life. Though for others it may not have been. Once I moved to Karakura, I found out about the Shrine located there. I visited it a few times, and it’s just as beautiful as the one from Chiba. The easy access to the Shrine took part in my decision as it was close by. I want to take something I learned from my childhood and something I enjoy doing and teach others about it. I would like to take the knowledge I have and put it to use. I also want to learn more about the Shrine itself along with any new information I can get about the religion.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
“My knowledge of the Shinsei Seinaru Shrine isn’t much, I haven’t lived in Karakura long, so I am unfamiliar with the history. Though while living here, I have done research on the Shrine I wanted to work at. The information I found out isn’t much and I’m sure I can learn much more while working there. When researching I found out that the construction of the Shinsei Seinaru Shrine was started in 744 and was finished in 762. The Shrine originally wasn’t for Shintosim, but for Buddhism teachings. I found this interesting, I don’t know the reason why Buddhism teachings were changed to Shintoism. I am curious as to why though, even so, I am still happy that Shintoism is still alive in a sense. It seems fewer people know about it than I had thought. One other thing I found out was that the Shrine was burned down, but it was later rebuilt. I am happy that even after a tragic incident, it was able to come back.”

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
“Dear monastery lead,”

“I write to you today in response to the current openings at the shrine. The purpose of this letter is to express my interest in worshiping the Kami alongside other Miko and Priests in an environment that I can maintain and take care of to honor those I worship dearest. I hope you receive this letter well and are willing to consider my application in due time.”

“My interest in joining the shrine faction comes from a place of interest in Shintoism and previous loving memories of my time with the Kami from when I was younger. I had always had a close bond with the Kami in my hometown and would often travel to the shrine on momentous occasions, or when I felt like I was alone and needed the presence of the Kami to soothe me. Despite spending some time away from Shintoism for a few years and only returning to it recently before my move to Karakura, I feel a calling like no other.”

“I feel I would be a good addition to the shrine staff team as I am able to put my fitness to use to clean and maintain a healthy and calming environment for the Kami to reside in. Alongside this, with previous knowledge and close ties to Kami; I am able to educate others and promise my dedication to them fully. I have a firm understanding of the rituals and various procedures of shrine activities.”

“To join as a priest would be my next step in life, and I hope this is possible as it would fill me with great fulfillment to return to something I once loved dearly.
Thank you for your time,”
“Sincerely, Surikaru Rapizora”

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

On August 18th, 1993, in Chiba, Japan a boy was born into a large middle-class family. The family originally had lived in El Salvador, but soon moved to Japan to have a fresh start. His mother knew her hometown well and wanted to return to her origins. It was just more reason to move, once they arrived in Japan a few months after Surikaru was born. The family had the basic necessities to provide for all their children. Though his family would often take trips to recreate their bond with nature and Kamis. Being in such a big family made it hard to stand out, and sometimes it was difficult to even get separate attention from their parents. Though Surikaru was definitely more reserved, when his mother made these trips to the Shrine, she always included him. She couldn’t take all the kids on one trip, so usually, they did weekly trips. Even though she always brought Surikaru, she wanted him to be more involved in things. You could say she had mothers' instinct, after a few trips once he reached an age, he could understand. He began talking to her about it, asking questions and there were a lot of them. This is where his interest in religion grew, everyone in their family followed it except his fathers and grandparents. They followed one another but respected the Shinto religion. Though once he finally understood it, nothing could stop him. He would use the computer for hours, looking stuff up along with asking his mother questions. After that, it was hard to get him to leave the Shrine, on their frequent visits. His mother was happy to finally see her son take interest in something, while his mother noticed his father never did. He was usually always working or sleeping so they didn’t speak, besides dinner. Those were the only times he can remember his father asking him questions. On the occasions he would help his mother with dinner, that was on very few occasions. Though he had a good home life, nonetheless. Both his parents settled happily together and enjoyed their time with their children. For each early festival, they’d attend and even travel to the larger cities for big attendances for displays of large gatherings for more national holidays. Even though he was reserved, and seemed to be selectively mute almost he was still involved in these times. His memory of it is still visibly there to this day. The memories of when he would drag his younger brothers through the crowds, as the fireworks lit up in the sky in absolute awe. The looks on his family's faces, as his mother worriedly ran after him but soon stopped at the sight. The sparkle in his younger brother's eyes that

Once he got into grades you really began to think in. He was not anything past standard when it came to his studies and school performance. He attended school and slacked off every so often as any child would. Though this never was a problem, though it seemed he didn’t show interest in his studies. He still received excellent marks on his own, without having to copy off of a friend during a test. Though on one hand, his social skills weren’t the best, when it came down to it making friends wasn’t easy. He always appeared to come off well above the other students because of his grades. Despite, being a great student academically. He came off as a very bitter person, from the way he spoke and the way he looked at other people. Along with that, he was very sarcastic. When he knew he was right, he wouldn’t only make it known but be sarcastic about it a little mocking. Even though he was such trouble at school to people, he never went out of his way to psychically and emotionally harm someone in a very traumatic way. He was just sarcastic and rude, nothing too extreme. Though he appeared that way at school, when he was at home, he was very loving to his family. He shows them a great deal of respect, along with the Kamis they worshipped. Surikaru as he became a teenager grew quite angry for years, even till he entered college. He felt this way, attempting to find himself throughout all those years. This being while he still kept his friends close to him, he struggled with it more than he would like to admit. Despite that, he always had a soft side for his family. He considered his brothers to be his best friends, and his sisters always found a way to annoy him, so he stayed at a distance. His short temper was never-ending, and his family would sometimes experience it. Though he learned to control it more, as he got older. His grades throughout his years in school, along with college. He continued to receive high marks, and even though he didn’t look at the part he still took his studies seriously. His personality never changed though, he always came off bitter and sarcastic, though he once again had a sweet spot for his family. The anger started to become a problem around his teen years, he was struggling to find his place and what he wanted. This made keeping friends close hard. This unmentioned anger built up in him for quite a long time, and eventually as he matured into an adult. Unlike most of his family who continued to follow the religion, once Surikaru became an adult. He strayed away from religion and became distant throughout his years of college. This wasn’t just with friends, but with his family. It was like he was slowly leaving everyone's life, eventually after getting his degree. He graduated with a master's degree in Psychology and Herpetology. Though once he had his graduation ceremony, he just seemed to disappear. His number became unreachable, along with his location not being known at all. His family grieved for their lost son, and after four years they eventually gave up on finding him. Though for some reason, his eldest sister and mother never gave up hope. Both believed that one day he would return, after being pronounced legally dead after seven years of being missing. Signs of him showed up, on old social media that hadn’t been active for years. Like his mother and eldest sister had believed, he eventually returned to them. While he did return, where he was all those years remained a secret. He only stayed in Chiba for two months, before he packed up and moved. Though this time he remained in touch with his family and promised to make up for the lost time they had.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

“The Shinto Priest and Maidens do very similar tasks. Though that can depend on the Shrine itself, and how things are run there. This also goes for the ranking of each Sinto Priest and Maiden, but nonetheless as I stated they have similar tasks. I know that at the Shrine, both Priest and Maiden are responsible for taking care of the Shrine. It’s important the Shrine is in proper condition, and that it looks neat at all times. They both are needed at the Shrine so they can teach the Shinto religion to any people who want to listen. One of the main things of a Priest is to officiate shrine ceremonies on behalf of worshippers and requests.”

“Maidens are able to accompany the Priest and even help. They do more things such as offerings to Kamis, spiritual rituals and so much more. Maidens have some different tasks, they can also be known as Mikos depending on what Shrine you are at. One of the things Maiden usually does is work at the Shrine Shop and sell the Omamori. They do so much more than just that, they also assist in rituals, ceremonies, and much more. Along with prayers, they also perform the sacred kagura dance. Shinto Priest and Maidens have similar tasks, yes, but they both do separate things and play a part in the Shrine.”

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
“The steps that are taken at the purification trough, you find right before heading up the bridge to the Shrine, are a few. They are simple ones; you will first have to approach the trough. At the purification trough, there will be a ladle on the ledge. The ladle is important to the purification process. You will fill the ladle with the spring water coming from above the monastery. This water is used for the purification process because it is said to be pure spring water. You will pour that water onto each of your hands separately, the order would be first your right hand and then your left hand. After you pour the water on both of your hands, you will need to cleanse your mouth with the spring water. You will take the ladle, fill it again if needed after you will take your cleansed hands cupping them. Then you will dip them into the water and bring them to your mouth while drinking the water. Though it is important not to swallow the spring water, one is to discard it away from the clean spring water, in the trough. You are not to drink from the ladle, nor is it allowed to have contact with one's lips at all. It is important to follow these specific steps, as to show your respect to not just the Kami but the Shrine itself. Doing this practice any other way is considered wrong, meaning the purification process will not work. Therefore, no purification and cleansing will have happened.”

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
“Like all practices, they must be performed correctly for it to work. This is a sacred practice, offerings to the Kamis have been around for a long time and are done in almost every shrine. I remember doing it for the first time, the excitement. Though, before you can do a Kami offering, you need something to offer it. You can offer different stuff, depending on what you have available, and what you think would be good to offer. These different offerings consist of yen, then you can also offer many different types of foods and ingredients. These things could be fruits, salt, rice, vegetables, and other types of food. Some people have offered other things, I know one of my sisters offered crystals she had purified in ways she learned, and also some paintings. Ema that you write your wishes on at jinja were originally offerings of art. Now the actual process of offering to a Kami must be performed correctly. So, it’s important to follow the steps properly. The first thing you must first ring the bell if there is one. If there isn’t that fine also, this is usually to get the Kami's attention and let them know of your offering. After ringing the bell, you carefully put your offering in the offering box. You will make sure that your offering is placed neatly and that it can fit. Then you must bow and clasp your hands together. Then you must begin to pray, your prayer must be something of giving thanks to the kami you are offering to, giving your respects at all times to the kami and the worshiper. You can also ask for blessings in return if that's something you choose.”

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
“When you perform a tea ceremony ritual, you must first bow, which you would go on offering them some tea. Depending on their answer, you will show them to the tea house. "

"To perform a tea ceremony ritual, you must first bow to the guest. You will offer them tea and if they accept you will show them to the tea house. You will bow once more before going to make the tea. Most often these teas will consist of Chabako, Hakobi, and Obon tea. To make tea, you would gather the specific herbs and tea leaves required for the type of tea and let it simmer in hot water. Before serving you should make sure it is not too hot. When you have finished the process of making the tea, you will return to your guest and greet them. After which the tea will be placed in front of the guest being served, with the tea bowl facing you. When pouring the tea, you must place it on your left palm and turn the bowl, with your right hand, so it is no longer facing you. You will pour slowly, allowing your guest to taste the tea. Adding more tea leaves to strengthen the tea if it is not to their liking. It is important to refill the tea once it has become empty as a form of respect and acknowledgment for your guest. Once the guest has finished their tea you will take the tea bowl back to its rightful place and bow to the guest. If they were interested I would also share some of the history of the shrine as well as offer a tour at the end if they seemed inclined to learn more."

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
“Tamagushi is a Sakai tree branch. The Sakai tree is mentioned as a sacred tree, in written documents back in the 8th century. The Sakai tree branches are decorated with shides. Shide is a paper cascade. These Tamagushi are used as offerings to the Kamis at ceremonies. Instead of using these in everyday kami offerings. These ones are specifically offered at Shinto rituals and ceremonies. Some of these ceremonies are weddings and funerals as a sign of goodwill. They are offered by the priest or visitor to the kami, during these events. This offering actually has a specific name to it, it’s called Tamagushi.”

“An Ofuda is a slip of paper usually but could be a card or plate or even an amulet. These inscribed slips of paper are a talisman. An Ofuda is made out of many different materials. It could be paper, wood, cloth, or metal. The Ofuda hold is used for a few reasons, it’s used for purifications, protection, and exorcisms. Ofuda can often be found in Shinto Shrines and Buddhist Temples.”

“Now the Kagura Suzu, these are also known as Divine Entertainment Bells. The Kagura Suzu is a three-tier set of bells, which are suspended by coiled brass wired upon a held hand rod. There are a total of fifteen bells on the Kagura Suzu. Three on the top tier, four on the middle tier, and then on the bottom tier there are seven. The Kagura Suzu is used by maidens when they perform the kagura dance. The main season this dance is held is usually during autumn and late spring.”

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
There are three he would worship specifically, each for their own specific reasons. Surikaru was like his mother in a way, she worshipped a few different Kamis and taught him about them especially. He grew up worshipping Jizo and Kannon as his mother did, and he still does to this day. Though after returning he also began worshipping the kami Taira no Masakado.​

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 85
Shrine Lead
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a priest, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Users who are viewing this thread