SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY APPLICATION
───────────────────────────────────────
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):

wkoi

DISCORD NAME & TAG:
atkoi#7205

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
My timezone is EST, although at times I run on BST.

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:
I have two previous bans that have taken place on my main account, atkoi. One of them had been a ban due to a misunderstanding which had been lifted immediately, the other one was classified as unserious roleplay and had taken place when I was new to the server back in late July early August of 2021. I have since then learned from my mistakes and my record has been spotless since then.

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes, I do have a microphone. ඞ

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
My activity on the server is pretty consistent. I tend to hop on the server daily. I enjoy taking my time to play with friends on the server and somedays, while it may be slow paced, I'm overall enjoying my time roleplaying with others on my team. I can be found either roleplaying with friends on my college account, both of my adult accounts, or my two high school accounts. Outside of roleplaying I am a builder and 3d modeler. I actively work on improving builds for others and creating customs for those who request them. The longest I've gone without logging onto the server to play is 3-4 days consecutively. I'd like to believe that I am one of the most active players on the server (unfortunately) and I am constantly finding things to busy myself with when not roleplaying. My activity is evenly distributed between my atkoi, wkoi, myec, suxeon and athearts accounts.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Currently I am applying to become a Shinkan.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
As someone who has spent plenty of time in the Saiky family and who has done extensive research in Shintoism as well as the technicalities regarding it for the server specifically, I understand the basics and general origin of Shintoism and how it's come about. I've taken the time to read through articles regarding the monastery's lore. I'm prepared to further expand on my knowledge as required.

To expand a bit on my knowledge, Shinto is a religion that bases itself on having multiple gods whom people may either worship just one or more than one. Shintoism is a religion that originated in Japan, and is known to be often regarded as Japan's indigenous religion and as a nature religion. It has no central authority in control and has much diversity existing among those who practice it. It revolves around the Kami, which are supernatural entities believed to inhabit all things. They're worshiped in household shrines, family shrines and public shrines. The public shrines are staffed by priests known as kannushi, and they are those who oversee offerings of food and drink to the specific kami enshrined at that location. The reason this is done is to cultivate harmony between humans and kami as well as to solicit the latter's blessing. Other common rituals that are seen include dances, rites of passage and seasonal festivals. It is Japan's largest religion, the second being Buddhism. In shrines, there is an area called the Honden which is where kami typically live and only the Shinkan can enter the Honden. Outside the Honden is where the offering hall is located; This is where people often come to pray.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I genuinely do believe that both my activity and overall experience with visiting the shrine and speaking to other members of the faction will help with proving my worth for being a member myself. I am aware that currently the Shrine faction has had some issues with activity, but I am fairly certain that I can be on daily. I've set up Shinto-based weddings for characters in the past and have visited it quite a bit on characters. The current character that I'm applying for was previously an EMS member and has plenty of ICly lore that I feel would fit for this role. The character has plenty of roleplay opportunities as is and I feel that I can further improve on their lore with activity as a Shinkan. I've been motivated to apply for this position for several reasons, and I am happy to expand on them. A large part of my motivation currently is taking my roleplay experiences further than before. I have a never-ending curiosity with the server's various city jobs and roleplay opportunities that tie into experiences I strive to have with my characters, Shinkan being one of them. I want to further expand on my knowledge on how the servers religious aspect works outside of being a visitor to the monastery, proving to be knowledgeable on the subject, generally helpful to those who visit the grounds, and my general activity. I know I'll ensure a thorough roleplay experience with those who interact with me and, as a Shinkan, I know I can motivate others to take part in the religious/shrine side of the city parts to SRP. I feel as though this role will benefit my characters development and would give me an overall enjoyment in the faction.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
I do acknowledge and accept that I will have to attend mandatory trainings to be taught more about Shintoism and the according procedures.

In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Christian Green

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Mr.

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
I am 31 years of age

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Single

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
030-769-7588
WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
When it comes to Shintoism, I've only recently begun to delve into it. I worked in the hospital as a surgeon for several years before deciding to take my time with something else for a change. I'm fascinated with the origins of it, having taken a specific interest after one of the maidens had come to visit the hospital every few days. I had more recently begun to visit the shrine more often, making offerings and learning more about the stories behind it. I recall times when I was younger when school was out and nothing much was happening, my parents would bring me to one of the many public shrines in the area for festivals and we'd get to watch the maidens dance and go about their day. A few times we'd even sit down and have some tea, spending time together and overall enjoying the experience. I suppose thinking back to those days, and now wanting to have a new purpose in life that doesn't involve surgeries or exams has brought me to the shrine. Now that I've begun to relax and have given myself a life of luxury through my past job, I feel spending time in a monastery and growing more in-tune with nature and everything around me will motivate me towards being the best Shinkan possible. I feel that my studies on Shintoism and my knowledge as of right now have thoroughly turned me towards wanting to take part in the experience directly; giving me a chance to teach others and truly embrace the religion for what it is.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
My knowledge on the history and current information about the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery is somewhat limited, although I do know that it was built in the year 744, on the sixth of June. Initially it was a religious site for Buddhism, rather than Shintoism, although eventually Shintoism was brought into it. The monastery had caught fire due to the head priest Kannushui Ginjiro, most of the buildings and structures having been fully burned, destroyed or in pieces. One had remained, it was the Yama-No-Original Kami's shrine. Due to it being build into the mountain itself to shelter the kami, this shrine stands as the highest structure inside the grounds and closest to the kami. It was seen to be a more spiritual location than others due to its secluded location amidst the nature in the forested highlands as well as the elevation; being so high, closer to the skies. This area was thought to be a gathering spot for many gods, yet the grounds did belong to one god.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
[!] The letter was sealed by a red wax, a small lotus flower insignia was stamped into it. [!]

Monastery Lead,

I hope this letter finds you well, and I do hope that you take into consideration my request. I am writing this in hopes of expressing my interest in taking an open position as a Shinkan on a permanent basis. I don't have much experience as a Shinkan, though I've been studying up on it for a few months and have passed my first training. I do believe that I am capable of taking up the position to work at the monastery as a qualified Shinkan in Karakura. I wish to carry on the religion and expand to the youths and younger generations, sharing my knowledge and sharing my knowledge of Shintoism. I believe I would be a good fit to the monastery and can prove myself worthy of the position. I would be ever grateful to be given a chance to join the ranks on worshiping the Kami and helping those who visit the grounds find their way. I appreciate the time taken to read this note, as well as the application attached, and I hope that everything I've given you will be taken into consideration and accepted.

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
When Christian was a baby, he had been found abandoned in a car seat at a hospital in Tokyo, Japan. There was no note, no clue where he'd come from, no birth certificate, nothing. A young woman who found him, Mrs. Takei, later adopted him. She worked as a translator, working at the hospital that day to translate for foreign patients. She had found him behind a trash can, near a back door. Christian had been crying, hungry. She brought him to the hospital administration, although she refused to let social services take him away. She had felt that he was her responsibility from then on. His father, Mr. Takei, also worked at the hospital as a tech. Christian spent his childhood and every spare moment beside them, quietly watching as they worked. As soon as he could go to school he was working hard, studying and growing. When he wasn't at school he was working at the hospital. His father pushed him towards becoming a surgeon, believing Christian needed to be a doctor, setting him up in special summer programs to support the dream he had set out for Christian.
Christian graduated at the young age of 17 with a doctorate and MD, his father and mother being able to pull strings and allowing Christian to test out early for classes. For the most part, Christian has only ever resided in Tokyo, sometimes visiting other places such as Korea and California, USA during some summers and holidays. During certain seasons his parents would bring him further north to participate in festivals and events hosted by Shinto monastery's.
Christian was always independent with his work, running off to do things his own way, refusing to trust anyone to work with him.
Christians adoptive parents introduced him to someone, Elton McCarthy. He didn't fit well with others, having the same mindset as Christian did. During this time Christian was always rambunctious, wearing ripped jeans and a cigarette tucked behind his ear. He had attitude to him and was quick to jump on tasks. He was always hardworking and ****ytical, focused on his work and nothing more. Elton and Christian butted heads more often than not, constantly trying to drag one another one way or the other and fighting every step of the way. With time, of course, both of them managed to settle down and worked towards mutual agreements. By the time he was 25, Christian eventually managed to get a position with Elton working in a hospital in Tokyo as a surgeon, taking care of patients and exercising his knowledge in medicinal studies. It was only a matter of time before Christian decided to focus on a new place: Karakura, Japan. He transferred to the hospital there after his 6 year run at the one in Tokyo in hopes of finding more career-driven people like himself. Christian made various friends and found new love interests, experienced new things and worked towards bettering himself in the new town. Eventually, he left the hospital after an accident involving a gang member, someone who had ambushed him, causing severe harm and caused him to develop an underlying fear that it would happen again. He had decided he wanted to focus on a different career path- one that HE would of chosen, instead of something predetermined by his adoptive parents. Taking his time away from overworking himself in EMS, Christian devoted more of his time to finding hobbies and other things he enjoyed. He eventually found himself more and more drawn to the Shintoism practices and the origins of how it came about. His memories of those festivals and events he so enjoyed as a child drove him back to wanting to look more into it. He studied up on what he could for the religion, looking into the local monastery which he visited on occasion. He found himself eventually attending a school, the Kokugakuin University back in Tokyo, passing a qualifying exam. Now, Christian is in hopes of furthering his career path and finding peace in practicing the Shintoism religion, focusing on that as a man of newfound peace and tranquility.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinto priests, also known as Shinkan or kannushi, are often in charge of purification rituals. They officiate shrine ceremonies on behalf of and at the request of worshippers. They're not expected to lecture, preach, or act as a spirital leader to their parishioners; rather, their main role is to ensure the continuance of a satisfactory relationship between the kami and those who worship through offerings, evocation of the kami, and mediation of the deity's blessing. Shinto priests are allowed to marry and have families. They're known to travel from the Monastery considerably more than the shrine maidens, interacting with other citizens.

Shrine maidens, also known as Miko, are another type of priest working at a Shinto shrine. The name Miko typically refers to young female priests. Miko perform sacred dances known as kagura to satisfy the Shinto deities, conducting exorcisms, practicing divinations and acted oracles. Believed to posses magical powers, the maidens also work as spirit mediums, channeling spirits and carrying out various other functions as required of them at their given shrine. They are also known to leave the grounds at times, however their duties often focus on the Monastery. Their tasks can differ from performing both morning and evening rituals and general grounds work around the shrine such as sweeping and cleaning. They're often seen selling omamori and omikuji paper fortunes as well as assisting with Shinkan rites and hosting tea ceremonies.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Once you come upon the purification trough, you start the purification process by lifting up the ladle in your right hand, scooping water while pouring it onto your left hand. Once done with that, you switch the ladle to your left hand and repeat the process of scooping water and pouring it onto your right hand. You'd then scoop some water into the ladle, bringing the tip of it to your mouth and pouring it in, washing your mouth with the water before spitting it onto the rocks below. With the remaining step, you use the water to flow down the ladle by tilting it upwards and allowing it to purify, returning the ladle to its previous position.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
Offerings to a Kami can take place in various forms. Envelopes, boxes of sake, bags of rice, yen, etc. When preparing your offering you can affix a noshi paper onto the item (unless its food that isn't in a box), writing what kind of item you are offering on top and your name on the bottom. Generally, cash is the offering in private ceremony's, and if you enter the worship hall for prayer only, or to attend a service as a member, representative an offering of cash is also a custom. You present the offering as soon as you meet the shrine staff or priest. They'll place your offering on the offering table and let the kami know that you made the offering.

On SRP, when making an offering, you're walking up to the offering box and placing whatever offering you would like to present to the kami in a straightforward and customary approach. Following shortly after that, you would ring the bell in front of the Honden and bow twice. You clap twice, saying your prayers if you so wish. When you're finished, bow once more to complete the ritual.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
The tea ceremony ritual is lengthy and time consuming at times. The ceremony generally takes place in a tatami room. When you have guests, they're to take the seat closest to the alcove, sitting in a seiza position on the tatami floor. Once the guests have taken their positions, it is customary to bow once more before observing the decorations which are usually carefully selected for whatever the occasion may be. The host, normally the Shinkan or a Shrine maiden, prepares the tea in front of the guests. They typically have a tea whisk, a container for powdered green tea, a tea scoop, tea bowl, sweets container or plate, and a kettle and brazier. Before the tea, a Japanese sweet is served and is to be eaten prior to the tea being consumed. The tea bowl is placed on the tatami mat in front of you with its front facing you. You pick it up with your right hand and place it in your left palm. With your right hand, you turn it clockwise by around 90 degrees so that its front is not facing you anymore. You start by drinking the tea in a few sips and place it back onto the tatami. Bow and express gratitude after receiving and finishing your tea.

Near the end of the ceremony, there will be time to inspect and appreciate the tea bowl by lifting it. Once finished with doing so, turn the bowl so that the front now faces the host. The host may ask if guests would like another round of tea, and if not, the tea ceremony is over when the host washes the tea utensils and returns the equipment to where it had been before starting.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

Tamagushi
Tamagushi is an ancient offering to Kami-sama, it is usually a sakaki tree branch, or at times when there is no sakaki available, an evergreen branch such as cedar, and shide (which is a zigzag strip of white rice paper) on top attached to the leaves. There can be larger and more elaborate tamagushi, with red and white cloth, and asa (sacred hemp fibers) tied in ribbon on the top as well alongside two shide.

The tamagushi represents our sincere hearts and spirits to which we offer to the kami. The evergreen (traditionally sakaki) represents the eternal nature of our spirits and hearts, our connection to nature and the natural world, the physical world. Sakaki, and other evergreen trees, are often seen as a purifying tree.
If asa and red and white cloth are tied onto the tamagushi, they represent dressing our hearts and spirits to be offered sincerely to the kami. Asa is commonly used to tie offerings together, and offered as sacred fiber as well. Cloth is also seen as sacred, and a precious material from the blessings of both the heavens (sun, rain moon) and Earth (soil, growth, seasons, etc)

The action of offering it is important.

When we offer tamagushi, we hold the sakaki branch with the leaves resting on our left palm, and pinching the stem in our right hand. We walk up to the offering area, and bow, raising the tamagushi to our foreheads forward. Going back upright, we turn the tamagushi stem to our hearts, and leaves to the kami. We turn the branch once more to the left, and then forward, so the stem will face the kami and the leaves face us. Then, we place the tamagushi on the offering table, bowing once more, clap to the kami, and bow deeply again.

The reason behind this action is symbolic, it's the action of turning the tamagushi to our hearts and spirit energy, then directing it to the kami to offer. The clapping is to call the kami's attention towards our offering and heart.

Ofuda
An ofuda is a talisman made out of various materials such as paper, wood, cloth or metal. It's commonly found in both shinto shrines and Buddhist temples. It's considered to be imbued with the power of the deities or Buddhist figures revered therein.

Certain kinds of Ofuda are intended for a specific purpose (such as protection against calamity or misfortune, safety within the home, or finding love) and may be kept on one's person or placed on other areas of the home (such as gates, doorways, kitchens or ceilings).

A specific type of ofuda is a talisman issued by a Shinto shrine on which is written the name of the shrine or its enshrined kami and stamped with the shrine's seal. These such ofuda are often placed on household shinto altars and revered both as a symbol of the shrine and its deity (or deities) - containing the kami's essence or power by virtue of its consecration- and a medium through which the kami in question can be accessed by the worshiper. In this regard they are somewhat similar to (but not the same as) goshintai, physical objects which serve as repositories for kami in Shinto shrines.

Kagura Suzu
Kagura suzu are a set of twelve bells used in the kagura dance that Shrine maidens perform. The set consists of three tiers of bells suspended by coiled brass wires from a central handle: two bells on the top tier, four bells on the middle tier, and six bells on the bottom tier. The term suzu refers to small bells in general, but it can refer to two Japanese instruments associated with Shinto ritual. One of them being a single large crotal bell similar in shape to a sleigh bell and having a slit on one side, the other being a handheld bell-tree with small crotal bells strung in three levels on a spiraling wire.

The larger form can be hung from a rafter in front of a Shinto shrine and sounded by a robe or ribbons that hand within reach of the worshipper.
The smaller suzu is supported atop a handle and is held by the Shrine maidens costumed in traditional robes, white-powdered faces, and wearing a Heian-period coiffure during performances of the kagura dances.

On a side note, the kagura (which stands for god-entertainment) is a term encompassing Shinto instrumental music, songs and dances performed at shrines and at court. It was formalized as early as 733 CE, when it appeared in the palace repertoire. The small bells, ritual implements of great antiquity, may also be grouped together in bundles for folk and ceremonial performances.

Last edited:

NoZinth

Level 195
Senior Admin
Employee Lead
Gang Lead
NoZinth
NoZinth
Omega+
Reviewed

Thank you for taking the time to apply for the Shrine Faction!
after careful review We've decided to ACCEPT your application!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please send me a DM on discord @ oZinth#0001 to get started!

Users who are viewing this thread