(sometimes an hour or two)
11am - 8pm
(8 hours)
11am - 8pm
(8 hours)
12pm - 4pm
(4 hours)
Sometimes way longer
Though, some days depending on how it goes I'm online until the server resets.
there's days I'm online from 11am or 12pm to around 1 or 2am... I probably need help but it means I'm available constantly

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shrine Maiden
WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Shintoism is an ancient Japanese religion that is centred around the worship of 'Kami', which are known as spirits or even 'gods' that happen to inhabit the natural world, this being said there are tons of Kami that may be good, or even bad. Shintoism emphasises rituals and ceremonies performed at the shrines in order to honour these Kami.
But, with all this being said, Shinto does not have a centralised religious authority figure and is often practised alongside other religions. Unlike any other religion, it does not impose laws or commandments on its followers, it doesn't dictate how they should act or even carry themselves, it emphasises harmony with nature and the importance of purity and sincerity in daily life and rituals. No one is to be judged.

But of course, knowing all this there is plenty more to learn and that’s only a tiny snippet of what can be learned and I'm more than ready to learn more, it's an exciting religion and learning stuff in game that is actually interesting to know out of game is always a fun one.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?:
Well, having worked with the AOK (Archdiocese of Karakura) aka the Karakura Church. I find I have some better idea on how religion within SRP works and understand the views of everything may be to characters but shintoism within SRP is more approved of, with that. I’m currently working in SRP as a nurse and providing activity when I can. Of course, that does not hugely matter. In this case I believe I stand out as I’m fairly eager to try everything at least once.
There are many forms of education and learning and I hope I can learn something new as well! It's something done differently for religion but not far off from real life Japanese culture which I appreciate, and the faction has more of a feel to it that's more relaxing than being in KPD for example. So I find a change in scenery would be best for me to be able to expand my roleplaying experiences.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, if I can't make it then I’ll let a higherup be aware of it.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section
SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Erika Waltraud-Vogel
CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Ms.
CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Single
CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
German
CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030) 021-0322

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
Well.. Now hm. I think despite myself growing up in Germany for a long period of time. Once I stepped foot in Japan I did my best to adjust my living styles, which included exploring different religions to help bond but also understand the life, and I have grown to love the culture and religion of Shintoism, the beauty of no right or wrong, of faith in others and oneself, of providing rituals to keep the evil spirits and holding purification, giving prayer and offering things to kami to keep the world clear is lovely to me. Though I had no right hand man in learning anything Japanese, I did my best on my own and found myself in a town that needed some tender care. Being able to educate the young, protect those who feel unable to protect themselves and hold those in Karakura to the best of my ability. The thought to look after those and shed light and show the beauty of a religion despite not growing up within it, to prove to younger people that something can be done regardless of where someone may stand in life like how Shintoism has no bounds.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
Construction began in the eighth century, specifically on June 6th, 744 and ended in the winter months of 762.
Shinsei Seinaru was once a Buddhist temple built for the Buddhist monks in the Nara Period. A wee shrine originally planned to have been used for Buddhist worship, by the 9th century, both Buddhism and Shintoism had been united into one religion. However, the Shinto religion began to take priority within Japan by the 18th century, since causing the shrine to have been repurposed years after it's creation into the Shinsei Seinaru,

The shrine itself primarily worships the Fox Kami, the Kitsune.

A shrine hall used for prayer, worship, marriage ceremonies and housing the Maidens and Priests within. It is also the home of the Kami. A place where they reside in safety and worship. The dojo is further up just behind the teahouse is where I spent the majority of my time if not in the springs. Maidens of the shrine tend to prepare tea for guests, reading Tarot cards for the guests requesting, Cleaning up the shrine grounds, and washing the floorboards of the many buildings.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:

Dearest Mitsue-Shiro, Saiki,

I hope that I've applied the right information to reach you, and I hope you are faring well. I decided to write to you in order to express my desire to work with you as a maiden within the monastery. You see, the desire comes from the plenty of times that I've ventured up the mountain and into the shrine grounds. Each time, I enjoyed the serenity and peacefulness that surrounds the area.
I have done all the growing I had to do at Karakura HS & College. I believe my path leads to you and the monastery as a whole, which is why I wish to become a maiden. I wish to guide people through their beliefs and to help them form a better connection with themselves and the world around them. My knowledge is slim, but I am a fast and highly motivated learner.

Sincerely yours,
Ms. Erika Waltraud-Vogel

Erika Waltraud-Vogel, a five foot five inch German woman with straight brown hair born and raised in the streets of Frankfurt, Germany.
Erika was born as less fortunate, having struggled many times to get a decent education so learned from people around her, learning her language, having to learn how to read through newspapers and once knowing how to read had to learn how to spell in a similar fashion. Though she wasn't fully alone in this journey as she had her mother with her, though she had passed once Erika was thirteen.

She was at the earliest age she could be for hustling, getting bottles and cans where she can and took them to bottle deposits to get money back. She did this for four years before getting herself a job at a small diner but she found her life was not to stay there as she got older, getting enough for a passport, visa, a plane ticket and some clothes she set off to somewhere in Japan, it didn't matter where and she went on the next flight to who knew where; landing her in Tokyo, Japan. From there she stayed there for a while, getting a Japanese visa and did her best to get into a school there to study and of course, learn the language, able to find stability and some friends.
Erika began working at a stationary store and finally got her life together, following this new chapter she began learning Shintoism. Once she made it to college she looked into different areas of Japan to live within, of course Karakura, Japan had shown a face for housing. At first, she didn't think about moving and relocating to a smaller island but thinking on it for longer periods of time, she found the thought to cheer her on and she packed her things and took the next ferry to Karakura to start living freely again in a new area.

She had gotten herself more comfortable with Shintoism and learned what kind of place Karakura was, finding solace in the Monastery and dug into it. Taking notes and enjoying its company, and learning what one could do to join it. Thus, her new journey began. Working as a Shrine maiden within Karakura, Japan. She spent the past while making new friends, having dealt with relationships come and go but with her future pointing right to the monastery, she had nowhere else she’d rather be and it had ended up being her end goal.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

In many religions, Priests are told to deliver sermons or even lectures. But in Shintoism that is not the case. They are tasked with the responsibility of maintaining the Shrine and its foundations, safeguarding it even and keeping the premises in order.
Priests often do this to ensure that all areas are as clean as possible and even safe for kami to walk on. This being said they are often looked at as people in charge of the shrines.
They make sure that the connection between worshipper and Kami stays strong and unbroken.
The priest's main responsibilities within the shrine are; Ceremonies! they would also assist with the purification ritual or weddings.

On the other hand, Maidens have been known to perform a particular dance known as the 'Kagura'.
Miko are also frequently tasked with selling good luck charms outside the shrine's office windows or in gift shops.
They also often answer visitors' questions.
They participate in Weddings, Funerals, Festivals, Miyamari(Rite of passage in Japan for newborns. ), and other religious events, similar to Priests.
Like the Priests, Maidens/Miko take care of the Shrine when needed, both are always willing to provide a helpful hand.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Upon reaching the torii gates leading the guest(s) up to the shrine, the guest(s) are to bow and would approach a cleansing well where they are to take a handled ladle with their right hand and pour into their left, then swap to their left hand to wash their right, then cup their left hand, pour water into hand, sip it but do not swallow, and then spit the remaining water in the rocks below. Get more water with the ladle if needed, and take the ladle with their right hand to wash the ladle with their left hand.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
People can offer various items to the Kami! Such as money, fruits/veggies, rice, and even sake.
When coin money is offered, it will be deposited in an envelope.
When preparing an offering, one should be using noshi paper to place their offering atop, with the type of item being offered written on the paper.

After presenting the offering to the Kami, the person should then bow twice, then clap twice in order to signal the Kami of the person's presence. Once there, they should then mutter a prayer and finish with one last bow.
Offerings are typically made by an individual in order to receive something or thank the Kami for anything 'good' that has occurred in that person's life.
The relationship between Kami and person is often stronger after the offering.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
If I’m not mistaken, bows are typically exchanged between host(s) and the guest(s) as they receive tea. The guest is then to bow to the other guest and raise the bowl in respect of the host, and the guest then rotates the bowl to avoid drinking from the front, takes a sip then should compliment the host on the tea.
Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
The Kagura Suzu is a twelve set of bells for a Kagura dance.
While the Tamagushi is an offering made from the Sakaki tree branches which is often decorated with washi paper, silk, or cotton.
Meanwhile, the Ofuda is a talisman made out of a slip of wood, paper, metal, or even cloth.
(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Still figuring it out

───────────────────────────────────────

Last edited:

DivingBlues

Level 64
Shrine Lead
Builder
Denied

Sadly the team has had to deny this application. I do encourage you to reapply next wave but below I will list some of the reasons we chose to deny you.

Capacity: This wave was a tricky one. There were a lot of other good applications that were selected over you. Don’t let this discourage you though you may always apply again for the next wave, we just didn’t have the spots open for everyone.

Detail: Your application lacked detail or is lacking detail. If you choose to reapply, try to take some time to add some more detail into your work and flesh it out some more.

Reputation: Due to your recent or reputation amongst some of the current shrine workers we have chosen to deny you. You can begin working on your reputation and spending some more time at the shrine.

Other reasons, there are many contributing factors for your denial and you may DM me if you want specific details.

Please DM me further for details if you wish to know via divingblues.

Users who are viewing this thread