we3p#0030
WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
MST
LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:
N/A
DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes!
DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I am pretty active! If it were to be on a scale of 10. It would be 8-10 on weekends and 6-10 on weekdays
WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Maiden
WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Shinto is polytheistic and revolves around the kami, supernatural entities that are believed to inhabit all things. The link between the kami and the natural world has led to Shinto being considered animistic. The kami are worshiped at kamidana household shrines, family shrines, and jinja public shrines. The latter is staffed by priests, known as kannushi, who oversee offerings of food and drink to the specific kami enshrined at that location. This is done to cultivate harmony between humans and kami and to solicit the latter's blessing. Other common rituals include the kagura dances, rites of passage, and seasonal festivals.
WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
As a person who is in love with cultures, especially Shintoism I think I should be accepted, I have two years of roleplaying behind me as well so I think I’d make a good shrine maiden. Another thing, I love to receive positive feedback from my peers if anything seems to be wrong. I also love helping others if they need it since I enjoy taking a somewhat leadership role once I master something.
DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
I acknowledge that I will have to attend mandatory training.
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section
SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Jia Cheng Li

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Mrs. Cheng Li
CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):
CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Single
CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Chinese
CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
030-746-8031
WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
My motivation for applying to the monastery is that I love the shrine! Ever since I was younger I had always wanted to explore the world of the religion Shintoism after reading it in a history book, so I began studying Shintoism when I was around 12..years old I’d say? Ever since then I have slowly learned about the religion and would love to learn even more from you kind people at the Monastery! I typically visit the shrine a few times a week and say hello to the other maidens at the front. Or if I'm lucky say hello to a spirit or two. If I do get accepted I can’t wait to work with all of you.
TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
The Shrine was Built in June of 744 mainly surrounding Buddhism, Although Unfortunately, a fire burned the shrine down. I tried to look deeper into this however I couldn’t find any more history books on the shrine. (No history forum)
WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :
Dearest leader of The Shrine: I am Jia Cheng Li and I would like to say thank you for taking the time to read my application, I would love to be a part of the amazing stuff you do at the shrine along with the other people who work there. Since I began studying I really got fascinated by the Shinto religion and became a part of it, afterward I dedicated a few years of my life to learning about the religion and the culture surrounding it. When I found out that there was a shrine in Karakura I went up there and fell in love instantly. Ever since then, I visit the shrine when I can either on the weekends or when I have free time and since I have met some of the maidens I would love to meet you as well!
BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Jia Cheng Li was born into a wealthy family with her sister and her mother. Jia and her sister were always enthusiastic about many things, especially designing outfits. When they were both younger her sister would make outfits while she did the fine detailing on them, and their mother would wear the clothes always trying to make the kids happy. Eventually, the girls and their mother began a new adventure in Japan, Karakura where they were forced to move with her mother and sister together to meet her grandmother. Jia was anxious but her sister on the other hand was always excited to meet new people. Eventually, they started on their first day at the new school. That’s when Jia went to the school library to get some peace and quiet from the overwhelming loudness of the city. That’s when she saw a misplaced and old-looking book. As curious as Jia had always been she had opened the book and began reading, the book of course was about Shintoism and she really liked the idea of that book. Quickly she purchased the old book and took it home after school that day. As she continued to read the book she was more interested. As the years went on she learned more and more about Shintoism and devoted a few years of her life to learning and studying it. While her sister started studying psychology to become a caretaker. Their mother and grandmother were proud of how far they have came and how different their paths had led with it all starting with fashion. The sisters, now in their late twenties both hang out doing whatever, they also hang out at the shrine sometimes to say prayers or go to the springs and relax.
SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details
------------------------------------------------
What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:
Maidens usually stay on grounds of the Shrine but are sometimes permitted into the town, and the Priests usually do purification rituals. Both parties do cleaning on the grounds.
What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
take the ladle resting on top of the water basin with your right hand and fill it with fresh water. One ladleful should be enough to perform the whole ritual. Next, you position your hands away from the basin, as to avoid pouring used water back into the basin. Slowly pour the water over your left hand, then switch hands and use your left hand to pour water onto your right hand washing it. Next, you wash your mouth and should never touch the ladle; so pour some water from your ladle in a cupped hand. Then from the cupped hand, transfer the water into your mouth. Rinse and spit the water onto the rocks. Make sure you don't drink the water. Afterward, you clean the ladle and place it back where it was.
How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
offerings to Kami-sama that are generally referred to as Osonaemono.Some things you can offer are Rice, Sake, Money, Mochi, Kagamimochi, vegetables, Fruits, Fish, and, Seaweed.
How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
The tea ceremony consists of the host first bringing the tea utensils into the room making sure they are sterilized. Then preparing and serve them tea made of pulverized tea leaves stirred in hot water. The prepared tea is usually thin and frothy with a mildly astringent flavor; on certain occasions, a much thicker “heavy tea” (koicha) is made. The serving of sweets and tea may be preceded by a light meal. After the tea is consumed, the guests are free to inquire about the various implements, which are afterward carried from the room and the ceremony concluded. The host should always bow out of respect for the guests.
Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamahusi:
A Tamagushi refers to a piece of paper attached to a sakaki leaf with a hemp string. It is an essential element for Shinto rituals and festivals. In Shinto, the tamagushi is also used for special events.
Ofuda: consists of a thin strip of wood wrapped in white paper with the name of the Kami written on it. Ofuda is a kind of icon to pray for Kami. It is enshrined in the home altar or posted near the door of the house or office to represent the Kami who is prayed for blessing and well-being.
Kagura Suzu: is a type of Shinto ritual ceremonial dance. One major function of kagura is Usually when a female shaman will perform the dance and obtain the oracle from the god—in the setting, the dancer herself turns into a god during the performance.
(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?: Inari Ōkami
───────────────────────────────────────

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread