Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IGN (In-Game Name):

requiembell

What is your discord name & tag?:
barbs#6430

Previous bans:
N/A

Describe your activity on the server:
I won't stretch this answer for any longer than I need. On the server, I have my fair share of roles that beg for my attention and as a result, I have what most would label as a decent thread of activity. Even then, I haven't had any difficulty balancing how much time I delegate to my roles. You can typically find me online between 5-6 to 10 PM EST: the prime time when nearly everybody is online.

What is your timezone?:
Eastern Standard Time (EST)

List your current and past applications:
My language authorization applications have been cut to spare us both the clutter, but everything important has been linked!

Lore Team Application [Accepted]
KPD Application [Accepted]
Shopkeeper Application [Accepted]
Professor Application [Accepted]

What experiences do you have with roleplay?:
SchoolRP is not my first rodeo. Alongside writing as a hobby, I've been weaving collaborative stories with my friends since the dawn of my time online, and as a byproduct of my extensive practice, I've whipped myself into a pretty snappy writer. I don't necessarily use dozens upon dozens of paragraphs to pad my actions, that's not my style, but instead I explore how I can take simple actions and bend them to create sentences with fine flow and expressive vocabulary. At the forefront of my writing, my effort is mostly poured into my dedication to portrayals and crafting intriguing characters.

What is your motivation for applying?
All of my applications have been written with devotion to my characters and plans to unravel their stories in an environment where they'd thrive, and EMS is no different! I've been lucky enough to receive previews (a.k.a screenshots of silly roleplay interactions) of what this faction is like from my friends that have invested time into it, and I feel like if I'm going to find substantial interactions with skillful writers, it's going to be smack-dab in the Hospital. Thus, I couldn't be more welcome to the idea of tossing myself at the opportunity to apply.

Which role are you applying for?
(Surgeon, Doctor, or Psychiatrist):

Doctor

What knowledge do you have of Hospital Work?
In regards to the specific procedures and authorization pertaining to each individual department, I'd say I'm familiar with a sizeable portion of their duties, as well as the functions of the general tools they receive in-game. The largest gap in my knowledge is on how hospital work is carried out, but that's what training is for.

Doctor Department
The doctor department has less freedom as they're barred from psychiatric and surgical work, but their role in the hospital is just as versatile with a relatively docile line of tasks. This extends from MRIs to general checkups, etcetera.

Surgeon Department
When they aren't busy poring over the latest victim of brutal amputation or remedying open wounds with finely-inlaid stitching, surgeons are tasked with other gritty responsibilities to uphold such as issuing skin grafts and providing filling for bones. They're also in charge of morgue work, unlike the doctor department.

Psychiatry Department
Here's where hospital work begins to severely diverge; not akin to the doctor nor surgeon department, psychiatrists are essentially the product of marrying psychiatry and therapy. Their duties lie in providing diagnoses upon completing psychiatric evaluations, providing the****utic help for patients, and prescribing treatment in the form of pharmaceutical drugs.

Do you acknowledge that you’re subject to being demoted at any given time if accepted?
This isn't a concern of mine, but I acknowledge it as a term nonetheless.

Do you acknowledge that by applying for this role, you agree to be 100% dedicated to the Hospital Staff role?
Yes.

Do you acknowledge that if training is held whilst you are online, you are expected to attend or you will be punished?
Absolutely.

Do you acknowledge that you are NOT to take things OOCly when dealing with training & situations?
Yep! I'd sure hope that nobody expects me to behave like my character, and vice versa.

In-Character (IC) Section
SECTION 1: PERSONAL DETAILS

Character’s Full Name:

Jamie Sheng
(Bear in mind that Jamie is the English name she uses in social settings, but legally she is documented as Wanhua Sheng.)

Character’s Gender and Pronouns:
Jamie is a cisgender woman and uses the pronouns she/her.

Character’s Age (if accepted):

Character’s Academic Background
(Grade-12/Bachelor/Masters/PhD):

Bachelor of Science in Biology
Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences
Doctor of Medicine

Character’s Nationality:
Chinese American

Character’s Marital Status:
Unmarried

Character’s Religious Denomination:
Atheistic

Character’s Spoken Languages:
Fluency in Mandarin and JSL

Backstory (100+ Words)
This answer is VERY short to keep most of her backstory attainable through IC means. As a result, vital questions such as "how'd she get to Japan?" or "what else happened during school?" are not answered. This is intentional.
Seeking a legacy is a fool's errand.

Jamie has wrestled with feelings of mediocrity since the beginning. Born as an "only child", her mother brought her up on the traditional values passed down by her own parents. While they were able to bond over music, TV shows, and day trips, their relationship hollowed when it came time for Jamie to be enrolled in university. A myriad of nights spent slouched over in her chair, staring slack-jawed at mounds of study guides and textbooks, hideously concocted the first inklings of Jamie's doubt that she was intellectually fit for a career in medicine. Once she grew tired of pleasing her mother, she rebelled for fear that her control over her life was slipping.

Inevitably, that conflict reached its boiling point and her mother intervened, sloppily placing Jamie back on track as they recovered from a fight.

All while she bore the brunt of a poor part-time job, school became a balancing act as she distanced from her friends in an effort to mend the cathedrals of slipshod or missing work she'd neglected in the pursuit of pleasure. Although her father was somebody to emotionally fall back upon, she was shortly crucified by the internal denial and minimalization of her struggles.

Eventually, everything cycled back into another disagreement with her mother, and Jamie was finally given what she wanted: solidarity. But it was found where she'd least expected. See, the two were nearly one in the same. Both driven to meet the expectations of their parent, but stunted by the feeling that they were too inadequate to keep up.

As they steadily mended the ruins of their bond—together, now—Jamie graduated and, in due time, came around to working at her local hospital in Musashino, where she learned to settle for less and value what she'd already reaped from her tireless hard work. As for her parents, she kept in touch.

SECTION 2: MEDICAL HISTORY

What is your character’s medical specialty? Why did they choose this focus?
(Ensure this is appropriate to the position you have chosen)

When it came to settling on one specialty, Jamie was used to washing through branches like a tidal wave that refused to settle, and for a long period, what she'd define as a specialty was less like a defined alignment and more like a muddled mish-mash of any subject that could supply her with tangible productivity. She could've honed in on nephrology for a month, but by the next she'd be chasing after internal medicine. It was only until she was neck-deep in her misery that she came to conclusion: without order, she couldn't find passion in her work.

As it turned out, reconnecting with her interest in pharmaceutical science lead to finding her specialty.

In her case, "specialty" is a euphemism for fascination, and the subject that's allured her is none other than infectious diseases: a subgrouping for conditions ranging from the common cold to monolithic pandemics. The ignition for her interest resides in the factor that infections are renowned to be unpredictable, diverse, and rich with challenges. And if you know one thing about Jamie, it's that she's hard-wired to seek both a puzzle and the gratification from feeling impactful.

What medical residencies did your character take after medical school?
Jamie completed a residency in internal medicine that spanned over three years, then a follow-up fellowship in neurology that just barely bordered on another three years.

Does your character have any work experience in medical positions?
She sure has. Most of her time pre-Karakura was spent in a hospital situated in Musashino, Tokyo. There, she earned her early stripes as an infectionist.

Has your character completed any additional schooling?
No. In Jamie's own words, she's satisfied with what she's achieved and would be caught dead trying to expand upon her education.

SECTION 3: CHARACTER KNOWLEDGE

Describe your character; how do they look, what makes them unique?

Warnings advise that Jamie has a "screw loose", but upon meeting her personally this is proven false—the observable truth is that she has multiple screws loose.

Most notably, her short dark hair twists into entropic twines and loose, frayed strands that snake off her head like broken springs. Behind a poorly taped pair of half-framed glasses, her face is pecked by a drove of moles that tip-toe around her expressive brown eyes. Her expressions go hand in hand with her fidgety mannerisms, and more often than not, she'll animate her conversations by talking with her hands. When she doesn't lug herself around like an undead, she carries herself with all the joy and conviction of a dangerously caffeinated mug of espresso.

Androgyny seems to be her goal, as shown by her preference for loose clothing and minimal makeup.

How does your character act on and off duty?
The line between her work and off-duty behavior is so flimsy, it could be silk.

First impressions nail her as an overzealous woman submerged in her work and the academic curiosity that follows in its wake, and this goes hand-in-hand with her attention to patterns and unsettling observance over other people's lives. She'll never turn down an opportunity to pick at their brains (figuratively, of course).

Below the surface, Jamie's single-minded nihilism is veiled by an upbeat and sly personality that verges on absurd. Even though she puts in the effort to be friendly and pursues to please others, she refuses to lay her emotions bare, so much so that her enthusiasm is grotesquely accompanied by insensitivity. This is where her behavior on and off the job begins to differ, as only the savory facets of her personality are presented to her patients and, for the most part, co-workers.

Does your character function better on their own or with others?
Despite what others may be inclined to think, Jamie is a lone wolf. Throughout her day, she seeks catharsis in moderated isolation and typically prefers to fly solo when it comes to work matters. Even though her introversion can't be helped, there's still the creeping envy she feels for those with stronger social presences.

What plans does your character have for the future?
A moth to candlelight, she was lured into Karakura by the enticing and startling advancement of its hospital's technology. Beyond that, she's sailing aimlessly.

How is your character perceived by others? How does it contrast with their perception of themself?
Refer to the on/off duty question!

I was on a total time crunch in writing this application but I hope my answers suffice.

Last edited:

6Pancake

Level 227
Administrator
Hospital Lead
Authorization Team
6Pancake
6Pancake
Omega+

Thank you for taking the time to apply, we hope you are excited to hear that you have been accepted!

- In order to proceed, you will need to join the Karakura Emergency discord (CLICK HERE) to receive your roles.
- You will also need to be online in order to receive an introduction and the necessary equipment to carry out your duties as a Hospital Worker.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to privately message me - alex!#4532 - via discord and we will solve any inquiries you may have.

Users who are viewing this thread