rini#0001

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:

MST

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:

NA

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:

yes ma'am

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

Fairly active, have been for a while, I was staff from 2020-2022. In my time on SRP, I've not only ran the shrine faction myself but aided in helping the school faction in ways of helping out the Spartan Discord and as well on the cheer team. I currently run a shop as well, but overall I try to stay active getting on a few hours each day.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:

Miko // Maiden

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:

I would call my knowledge on Shintoism extensive. I don't want to ride this whole application on my history with the shrine. But I have done lots of research over the last few years, Shintoism is by far my favorite religion to study and learn about which is why I tend to always come back to this faction after a few months break. I am always willing and prepared to learn more about the religion honestly to just educate myself but I do love that its something I can bring to the server to make the shrine just a little bit more traditional to what Japan is.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

My knowledge and dedication to the faction. I loved the shrine faction, always have. I love the ideas of the shrines role in Karakura and it was always my goal to make it more noticed on the server. My knowledge on Shintoism is extensive just from being apart of the shrine in the past. I enjoy the busy work shrine can offer me, being able to throw out event ideas and to be able to help with said events. To me, the shrine is something really important to Karakura as its SUCH a westernized city (very Americanized) and I love that the shrine is what can bring more of a Japanese feeling to Karakura; I like being apart of that.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:

Ai Umebayashi

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):

Miss

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Single

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:

Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:

(030)-582-0364

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

Born into it. My family run the shrine back home in Takayama. From a young age, I've been running around their shrine doing small duties and work for them. I grew up following the religion closely with my family members and when old enough I even began working there as a maiden myself. My reason to now applying to the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery is simple; I've never left home, Takayama is all I currently know and I'd love to broaden my horizons, to practice under new Kami's, learn a new land. I have left my home and the shrine I grew so close too to be able to come to Karakura and practice as a miko there. I'm sure most join the shrine under motivation as to get closer to the religion and study purposes. Mine is to simply expand the knowledge I currently have under a new roof and more excitingly, on my own terms rather than being looked over the shoulder of my family. Karakura is similar in population to my home and the shrine holds so much history, I would simply love to aid in that.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

The Shrine is older than Karakura itself, it was the foundation for the city and once a fairly popular area with the people. Over time, the city grew more westernized and turned away from the shrine which upset the shrines Kami, the Yama-No-Kami (I don't know if it's changed, I know last I was in shrine, we were trying to change it). In theory, this is where the towns bad luck stems from, an unhappy god. The shrine was burnt down at one point by a unhappy priest believing the city was undeserving of a god but due to locals the shrine was rebuilt better than ever. The shrine stands today in hopes to reconnect Karakura with the mountain Kami and rebuild what the shrine once was in its glory days. Or at least. . . that's the story my family told me.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

To the current Monastery Lead:
My name is Umebayashi Ai, a shrine maiden in Takayama, Japan. I'm currently reaching out to you in hopes that not only this letter finds you well but to reach out to you about my transfer to the local Karakura Monastery. I have been following Shintoism since birth and following a shrine life style just as long. Though my parents never tied my down to the shrine duties, it was always a decision I made for myself. I'm hoping to bring my knowledge and love for the religion to your local shrine and be able to aid in teaching the people of Karakura about the history the area has to offer. I come to Karakura in hopes to find myself not only as an adult but closer to the religion I love so much. Again, I hope this letter finds you well and I am excited to hear and hopefully meet you to work at the local shrine.

Sinceraly,
Ubebayashi Ai

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):

Ai grew up in Takayama, a small Japanese town, where her family ran the local shrine. The Higashiyama Hakusan Shrine is the oldest shrine in the city and the city looks up to the family that runs it. Her mother was a miko at the shrine while her father was more of a care taker than a priest but regardless both parents were dedicated to the job. Ai is the second youngest of 5 siblings, most who didn't care for the shrine work the parents would give them. Ai on the other hand, adored the busy work of following her mother around. She even aided in giving small tours to foreigners. Once the youngest was born, Ai became more of the worker than any of them and it wasn't by choice. Ai, mainly as she got older, worked in the garden with her mother; coming home from school to change quickly and tend to the garden. This is where she found her love for herbal medicine. When Ai began attending school, she mainly kept to herself and her siblings, not due to fear of social interaction but lack of wanting too. She spent most of her day interacting with those who visited the shrine day in and out, school was more of a chore to her than anything else but she did the bare minimum to keep her parents off her back. As she grew older, her siblings would come and go and soon it was just her and the youngest in the house. Ai never cared for her younger sibling as both parents adored her while Ai got stuck with shrine busy work, while she didn't mind it most of the time, she did miss being fawned over by her parents. As she got out of high school, she began a full time miko with her mother but the desire to be there grew less and less. Her parents stayed more focused on her younger sibling and treated her more as an adult even though she was fresh out of schooling. For a while, she looked for jobs around the town but to her parents distaste and was told to cease. It was only when she decided to reach out to an older sibling to move, she learned about Karakura. Ai loved her work with the shrine, she was passionate for it but she no longer wanted to be under the reign of her parents and so she decided to move in with her elder sibling. She believed she could find a better life in Karakura, she wanted to believe that. Her parents LOVED the idea that she was going to continue under the Shinto religion but she didn't have the heart to tell them she was leaving because of them. Now being an online college student for a degree in botany, she hopes to be accepted within the local shrine and try to find herself within the shrine there and the city.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

All duties are to the shrine. Priests and maidens have similar duties though on a spiritual level, Priests do rank higher (thanks to Buddhism). Priests are more to tend to rituals and ceremonies for the shrine as they are the closest to the kami spiritually. While maidens care for the shrine, this includes gardening, chores, working the local shrine shop and many other things such as that. Maidens are also encourages to learn talents such as instruments and more.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:

You'd preform the tasks at a Chozuya, a chozuya is a basin of water with a ladle usually right before you enter a shrine. To cleanse properly, you'd take the ladle to wash your hands and mouth, you do NOT drink the water though; you would spit it out below the basin. Once yourself in cleansed, you use the ladle to drip the water back to cleanse it as well for the next person to use.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:

There are many ways one can give an offering to a kami. The most common is visiting the local shrine yourself. Unlike Christianity, they're certain holidays and events that you would visit a shrine; not a weekly endeavor. When approaching the shrine, you will cleanse yourself before entry and bow at the Torii, this shows respect to the kami as it is written once you cross a torii you are on spiritual land (a different 'realm' from normal). Once in front of the shrine you will be greeted by a donation box; you can preform the offering yourself or have a priest aid you. Normally, shrines ask for a money offering (1 to 5 yen pieces are common to give) but you may also bring things you harvested or sake. You'll ring the bell to notify the kami of your arrival after leaving the offering and clap your hands twice followed with a bow. Then you will make your prayer; most common can be good grades on tests, family health, things like that. Once you finished, you will bow again and head on your way!

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:

Tea ceremony's aren't a Shinto tradition as they follow more a Buddhism tradition but a Japanese one none the less. The term for a tea ceremony is 'Chanoyu' which is a rough translation to 'hot water for tea'. The way a tea ceremony works actually differs from place to place as even schools host them! Before entering the tea house you would remove your shoes and wait to be greeted by the host who will then take them back to the tea room. When the guests are seated in a seiza seating position the ceremony begins by cleaning the utensils in a precise order. The tea is prepared in a kettle over a charcoal fire, in a bowl the guest is expected to raise the bowl in respect to the one who made the tea and rotate it slightly to avoid drinking from the front. They are expected to sip and then compliment the one who brewed the tea. Again there is many ways to preform a tea ceremony based on reason and event but this is the most common and basic way it is preformed.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:

All tools for rituals.
A Tamagushi is a tool for offerings and rituals, often for weddings where they are offered the the Kami. They are made from a sakaki tree branch decorated with strips of washi paper. These can be offered by both maidens and priests

Ofuda is a talisman of sorts, these are papers giving through rituals and are said to have the power of the kami within them. These are hung in homes and usually kept around to keep the power of the Kami in the home rather than just at the shrine. This can simply bring good luck to the home or the people within the home. They decorate shrines within the home most of the time. These are tools made by a priest.

Kagura Suzu is a miko ONLY item as it is given to them to preform the ritual of the Kagura dance. Something the mikos are practiced in. These dances are hosted at events and fesitvals and are more or less to please the local kami. The dance is more for the kami than it is for those watching, it is a dance designed for harvest and to ward off natural disasters or bad luck!

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:

Ōkuninushi; the god of farming, medicine and nation-building. Ai would be more attracted to this god as for her love of herbs and herbal medicine, keeping an ofuda for this god would be common for her to bless her medicine making and gardening.​

NoZinth

Level 195
Senior Admin
Employee Lead
Gang Lead
NoZinth
NoZinth
Omega+
Reviewed

Thank you for taking the time to apply for the Shrine Faction!
after careful review We've decided to ACCEPT your application and welcome you back with open arms!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please send me a DM on discord @ oZinth#0001 to get started!
(or ping me in Town discord for your roles)

Users who are viewing this thread