mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

SCHOOL NEWS REPORT | Diligent or Disorderly?

By: Sumi Ishida

If you’ve been attending Karakura high school or community college for a while now, you may have picked up on some complaints about the class environment or violence in school and wondered how prevalent the issue truly is. You may even have experienced or witnessed the problem firsthand. These ongoing whispers of brawls and skirmishes bring the question to mind of how students are to focus on academics while dodging fists left and right?

Let’s take a closer look at how students on average are feeling towards their education, and the current environment they're learning in. The following polls were conducted on 20 students, of varying age, and found in differing locations around the school.

Overall the average interest level came back as 3.85, a much lower satisfaction than what schools often aim for. Why might this be? Well, participants often noted reasons such as a teacher shortage corresponding to a lack of classes to accommodate everyone, disruptions from younger students in class, violence breaking out during class and derailing the lesson, and overall a lack of interest in the subject matter itself. But if students aren’t learning in classes, then are they seeking their education elsewhere? Let’s see:

During an average week, students seem to study very little. The overall mean hours studied came down to 0.775 per week. However, on exam weeks a couple students reported slightly higher numbers, bringing the average to 1.275 hours. It seems apparent that just as students don’t have much enthusiasm towards the education offered in school, this also extends to their self directed learning. Taking a look around the library, this became even more evident, as many of the shelves, especially the non-fiction areas, carried a remarkable amount of dust on the book covers.

The responses to this question were especially interesting, as they were quite split, the overall average coming to 5.9. Many students remarked feeling generally safe, however having been “jumped” at school in the past, or having witnessed it happen to a friend, they have some reservations. A couple of older students mentioned feeling safe as long as they avoid joining sports teams and the rivalry associated with them. Most who rated 0 mentioned being attacked recently, some with visible injuries.

These different factors could possibly have links to one another, as students who witness a significant amount of disorderly conduct in class may lose interest in going all together. The converse could also possibly be the case; that the lack of interest in school leads to students finding other ways of passing time, including rule breaking. Additionally, these responses bring up questions regarding whether the older students are receiving a challenging enough education when they are still sharing classes with the grades below them.

I have to acknowledge, however, that this poll can only account for a limited number of students, thus I sought out someone who interacts with a large portion of the student body near daily: a teacher, to take a deeper dive into student performance, and the current disciplinary system to deal with violent or disruptive behavior. The following interview is kept anonymous in order to protect the participant, and allow them to speak freely.

On a scale of 0-10, where would you rate the average student’s reading and listening comprehension skills?

Well, I think I would rate it a 7.5. I think some students could work on listening better! Like in this class, I asked for 5 red*, 5 blue*, 5 yellow*, 5 green*, and 3 purple*. Some students didn’t have green or purple.
*tasks have been replaced as colours to protect anonymity

On a scale from 0-10, how would you rate the average student's interpersonal skills, including respect for their peers and school faculty?

I’d say 5. Some students really act like they are just the center of everything and they don’t need to listen to faculty, and like to have an attitude towards some teacher when they are just trying to do their job. Also some students need to learn that violence isn’t always the answer to everything and that some things can be handled with words only, a nice civil discussion.

How often do you experience disruptions in the classroom?

I’d say at least twice per class. There’s always someone causing me to interrupt my class and have me talk to them.

Do you feel school staff have adequate tools and permissions to address unruly behavior on school grounds? Do the current consequences help improve student behavior?

I don’t think they really help improve student behavior, because they get detention, they do the task and then they forget about it and the next day they’re right back at it again doing what got them in detention in the first place, and some just don’t even go to detention, they skip it entirely.

Where do you feel kids should be learning their social skills, such as respect, compassion, and emotional regulation from? At home? At school? From their peers?

I think they should be learning it from their parents, as the parents should be responsible for setting examples for their children.

With the looming hostile environment, disruptions in class, and a common lack of enthusiasm for learning, it can be easy to find yourself wrapped in pessimism, the stress more in focus than the hope for a better, brighter school life. However, I want to encourage you all to not give up just yet! We have a strong voice as a collective. There are multiple resources to find help, and be able to campaign for the changes you want to see in your environment! Below I have included several ways you can find assistance and make your opinions heard!

Helpful School Locations!

Student Council Room
This room is located on the first floor of the school by the reception desk. During school time you can often find councilors here who help respond to issues at school and give advice on how to handle various situations. They have the ability to give out detentions, and often assist in de-escalating conflicts. If you have a concern or suggestion you would like to leave them, they have a mailbox to the left of the door (where the arrow is pointing).

Principal's Office
You can find the principal’s office on the roof towards the front of the school. Although it may be difficult to book an in-person appointment with the principal, a mailbox can be found to the right of the door (where the arrow is pointing) where you can drop off suggestions and feedback about the school. This is a good way to ensure your concerns reach the higher-ups within Karakura’s school system, and to campaign for changes you wish to see.

Counselor’s Office
The Counselor’s office can be found on the second floor of the school, near the stairs. Here you will find adult licensed counselors who you can talk to about issues with academics, or seek advice on how to deal with difficult emotions. If you’ve been the victim of school bullying or violence they are also an excellent resource for finding additional help to address the issue, while providing a safe (and soundproof!) space for discussion.

Private Tutoring Desk
Ever since the tutoring room moved to the third floor, many students have struggled to find it, however if you walk through the library, and continue towards the back of the school, you’ll stumble upon this cozy space. Here you can find peer tutors who are well versed in the various subjects taught at KHS. With the library just a step away, this place has all the resources you need to succeed in your learning. There’s even several comfortable couches with tables nearby, making the perfect place to start a study group with other students!

Helpful Contacts!

Karakura High School: 020 555 5555
If you notice, or are involved in, a dispute during school hours and need to get in touch with a faculty member, this number is one of the quickest methods of finding assistance. Make sure to notify them of where it’s happening, and a brief description of the current state of the situation.

Police/Medical Services: 110
Call this number in case of emergencies such as severe injury or when a crime is being committed. You may also create a police report at the station if, for example, you have been assaulted, or are otherwise a victim of a crime.

Town Hall: 020 555 9000
Here you can ask questions about local laws, give your input on what municipal changes you want to see, and hire a lawyer when needed.

Karakura Reporter Hotline: 020 980 4487
Have a concern or story you feel needs to reach a wider audience? Depending on whether it’s an issue relating to a student demographic, or should be known to citizens of all ages, you may wish to seek out a Journalism Club member (club room found on the 4th floor of the school) or call the number above to reach a news reporter for the town paper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread