players online

SCHOOL NEWS REPORT | Traditional Culture in Education - Yozukinabahimetsu-Kuri

Eucatastrophe

Level 13
Eucatastrophe
Eucatastrophe
Omega+

Introduction

Hi everyone! I am Yozukinabahimetsu-Kuri, and I present to you all my next school report: Traditional Culture in Education!
Even though most people aren’t very familiar with our local culture here in Karakura, data shows that people think it shouldn’t be that way. Ask yourself this question: How much about traditional Japanese culture do you know?
Have you ever found it strange that even though Karakura’s location is in Japan, Japanese culture seems almost entirely absent? The only place to see most of this culture is at the shrine, which receives little foot traffic compared to other parts of our growing city.
In this report, I will cover Japanese culture and its importance and review observations and data on culture in Karakura, specifically our high school and community college.

What is Culture?

According to Merriam-Webster, culture is defined as:
culture · noun
: the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group
also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time

As a country, Japan has its own culture that is separate from the culture of Karakura despite how Karakura is located in Japan. However, it is comprised of different cultures.

First up is the religious culture. Karakura’s indigenous religion is Shinto, a spiritual religion with beliefs toward nature that include the recognition of a divine spirit, or kami, that resides in notably significant geographical features such as trees, waterfalls, mountains, and other natural landscape features. Shinto as a distinct religion was actually established during the 19th century in the Meiji Era. However, its practices—specifically the veneration of kami—have existed as a diverse range of local and regional forms of Shinto for hundreds of years. Kami veneration has the most extended history, being traced as far back as the Yayoi Period, 300 BCE and 300 CE.

Next is the racial culture. Karakura’s primary population is Japanese, but it has unusually high racial diversity compared to other places in Japan. This racial diversity contributes to a vast racial culture that is, more or less, the collective culture encompassing all of Karakura’s races.

Finally is our way of life, shared by everyone in Karakura. This way of life is a particular type of culture comprising the two primary culture types. In effect, Karakura’s culture comprises many different cultures resulting from racial, religious, and social diversity. These three things, as well as their respective subcultures, make up Karakura’s culture. Our culture.

But something’s missing.

Why is Culture Important?

Why exactly is culture so crucial? Culture provides a sense of identity and belonging. It helps us understand our place in the world and connect with others while shaping our values, beliefs, and behaviors. It can influence how we view the world, interact with others, and make decisions. It shapes our community, our city, and ourselves.

Culture is a shared set of beliefs, values, and behaviors learned and passed down from generation to generation. It can affect our day-to-day life in several ways. For example, what we think is essential in life is frequently influenced by culture, even without us knowing. In some cultures, family is the most important thing, while individual achievement is more important in others. Culture can also influence our beliefs about the world, such as whether we believe in a God. Culture can also influence our attitudes toward different groups, such as immigrants or people of different races or religions.

In short, culture can profoundly impact our values, beliefs, and attitudes. It is vital to be aware of how our culture shapes our thinking so that we can make informed choices about our values and beliefs. It is even more necessary to find a comfortable balance between following one’s culture while adhering to modern social standards, especially those set in the streets of Karakura.

Cultural Integration

Culture is passed down from generation to generation, silently integrating itself into our lives without most of us knowing it’s there. Cultural integration is defined as the result of when people from a culture adopt the essence of another culture while maintaining their own culture. Rather than losing their own culture or keeping their own culture and completely rejecting the new culture, they fuse the two, integrating one into the other to form a new culture. They bring parts of their culture into their communities through food, language, music, arts, attitudes, or traditions. They also adopt parts of their new culture and adapt to local customs and ways of interacting with others. This is evident throughout the city of Karakura. However, there still seems to be something missing: the absence of Japanese culture.

Survey Data and Graphs

Below is a collection of graphs showing the results of an anonymous survey conducted on 50 individuals—either students or teachers—about Japanese culture.

For the first question, I asked participants whether they were teachers or students. 8% of the responses were from teachers, and 92% were from students. Therefore, the survey was on 46 students and 4 teachers.
In the second question, I asked participants if they were Japanese. 64% of responses were either half or fully Japanese while 36% were not.
In the third question, I asked participants if they were familiar with traditional Japanese culture, allowing them to choose between Yes, No, and Kind of.
Over half of the participants answered with Kind of, while the Yes and No answers were split evenly by 48%. This shows that most of the population of Karakura is either partially familiar or not familiar with traditional Japanese culture.
Sado, or tea ceremony, is a traditional ceremony that involves the brewing and serving of tea, and it is often seen as a way to bring people together and foster social connections. In Japan, it is deeply ingrained in the cultural fabric, maintaining a crucial part of its culture. However, only 54% of the participants knew what sado was. This is an unusually low number when considering the indigenous Japanese population of Karakura.
Ikebana is the centuries-old Japanese art of arranging flowers. This ancient practice, which roughly translates to “making flowers come alive,” uses a carefully selected mix of blossoms, greenery, and other flora to convey a specific feeling or emotion to an observer—just as a painting or sculpture might. Yet again, the results of the survey show that despite the primarily Japanese population of Karakura, only 56% knew what Ikebana was.
Kabuki is a world-renowned form of traditional Japanese performance art. Incorporating music, dance, and mime with elaborate costumes and sets, kabuki dramas depict tales derived from regional myths and history. Many modern kabuki techniques and performers are direct descendants of original methods and historical actors, leaving this art form largely unchanged for centuries. Only a third of participants knew what kabuki was, while 66% did not.
My seventh question asked participants how big of an impact they think traditional Japanese culture has on Karakura. 78% of participants answered a 5 or below, demonstrating that Japanese culture does not have a notable impact on Karakura in the eyes of its citizens. This correlates with the overall prominence of traditional Japanese culture in Karakura itself, proving further that most traditional Japanese culture is absent in our city.
I then asked participants if they believed traditional Japanese culture should be taught in an educational setting, specifically in our curriculum at Karakura High School and Community College. 27% of respondents said no, while 68% said yes and 5% said maybe. For individuals who answered with maybe, I asked why they thought so, and they responded that it should be optional. If this were to be integrated into our curriculum, it would be up to the school administration to make that decision.
For my final question, I asked participants how important they thought it was to include traditional Japanese culture in our curriculum on a scale from 1 to 10. Only one participant answered with a number below 5, while the rest were at least a 5 with the majority being an 8. This shows that despite the population’s lack of knowledge regarding traditional Japanese culture, the majority believe it should be taught in the classroom.

Face-to-Face Interviews

Interview 1: Venus Eun-Ji

In this interview, I spoke with a student at Karakura Community College.

[Yozu]: Before we begin, I'd like to make you aware that your answers here will be made public in a school news report; if you're not okay with that, we can end the interview here.

[Eun-Ji]: I consent!

[Yozu]: Okay then, here we go.
[Yozu]: My name is Yozukinabahimetsu Kuri, interviewing a Venus. . .

[Eun-Ji]: Eun-ji!

[Yozu]: …Eun-ji.
[Yozu]: So, miss Eun-ji… you're a student here at Karakura High or Community College, correct?

[Eun-Ji]: Yes! I'm in college.

[Yozu]: Okay! And how long have you been going to school here in Karakura?

[Eun-Ji]: Well, I've just moved here recently, actually. Maybe... six months?

[Yozu]: I see. Where did you move here from?

[Eun-Ji]: I moved from the Philippines to here... obviously.

[Yozu]: Gotcha. So you've lived in Japan for less than a year?

[Eun-Ji]: Yes, I've lived here for less than a year, but my family and I visited often..

[Yozu]: I see, I see. So, how much about Japanese culture do you know?

[Eun-Ji]: I’d say about 50/50. I know quite a few aspects, but the more uncommon commodities I'm sure I'm unaware of.

[Yozu]: So, if you had to rate yourself on a scale from one to ten, how familiar with traditional Japanese culture are you?
[Yozu]: One being not familiar at all, and ten being an expert on the subject.

[Eun-Ji]: Considering I did say 50/50... A 5/10!

[Yozu]: Fair enough!
[Yozu]: Regarding what you do know, how important do you think that culture is in Japan as a whole? And what about Karakura specifically?

[Eun-Ji]: As a whole? If we're talking about Japanese culture specifically, it does play a big role in Japan, especially for those who are, well, Japanese. It's important to know your background and the traditions your ancestors perform. It helps you understand who you are, in a way. As for Karaukura by itself... it's quite a bit different. Citizens here seem to have... different… morals, though I believe Japanese culture should be higher up on [the] said list.

[Yozu]: Okay! Next question.
[Yozu]: From your point of view, how does Karakura's culture compare to that of the rest of Japan? What are some things that stand out the most to you?

[Eun-Ji]: Honestly? Just the lack of time dedicated to culture. The only place I really see this happening is up at the shrine. It's saddening.

[Yozu]: Saddening? Why do you use that word in particular?

[Eun-Ji]: The lack of preserving Karakura's root culture is just sad. There's so much potential in the diverse nature of beings. We can learn not only many different kinds of cultures but people as well. Everyone here is different, whether it be in personality or beliefs. Sure, most are psychos, but that makes things fun!

[Yozu]: That's quite a philosophical standpoint.
[Yozu]: Do you believe it to be important for the community to learn its culture?

[Eun-Ji]: I do! [As] aforementioned, knowing and being aware of one’s culture should be pretty high on the bucket list!

[Yozu]: I see. Do you think it is important for the school to teach this culture to its students, even the ones who aren't native to Japan?

[Eun-Ji]: If you're living here, in Japan, I think to an extent, yes. Having to practice the traditions, not so much, but at least knowing and learning about them seems fair.

[Yozu]: How do you think the school could go about implementing this into the curriculum?

[Eun-Ji]: The simplest answer is to create a subject dedicated to Japanese culture; have teachers, uhm, teach it!

[Yozu]: Do you think it should be a separate class? Or included in the classes already being taught?

[Eun-Ji]: There have been a few classes in the past, from what I've heard. However, I believe only one professor teaches that now. I think more spots for that position should be available.

[Yozu]: Gotcha. Do you think it should be an optional class or [a] mandatory one?

[Eun-Ji]: Well, considering they're all mandatory now anyways, that seems like the best option.

[Yozu]: Fair enough.
[Yozu]: All right! Last question for the interview today.
[Yozu]: If you could get school community involvement regarding traditional Japanese culture, would you? If so, how would you go about it, and what is one idea you would like to see realized?

[Eun-Ji]: Seeing as I don't know too much about it, I couldn't help teach it. Though I'd certainly want to get myself involved with it. Knowledge is the greatest power of humankind. The more of it we have, the more possibilities we reach in our lifetime. That is what I hope this community realizes.

[Yozu]: Awesome! That concludes our interview. Thank you for your time, Mrs. Eun-Ji!

[Eun-Ji]: You too!

Interview 2: Maya McMullen

In this interview, I spoke with a professor at Karakura Community College.

[Yozu]: I'm Yozukinabahimetsu, interviewing a…

[McMullen]: Maya McMullen, social sciences HD professor.

[Yozu]: Okay, Mrs. McMullen!
[Yozu]: How long have you been teaching here?

[McMullen]: I’ve been here for quite a while, actually… probably around eight or nine months?

[Yozu]: Gotcha. How long have you lived here in Karakura? What about Japan in general?

[McMullen]: A year and a half living in Karakura and Japan as a whole, actually I lived in China for 20 years of my life due to job issues but well… certain things happened and I had to change my surroundings.

[Yozu]: I see. So would you say you’re familiar with traditional Japanese culture?

[McMullen]: I think I am fairly well versed, yes.

[Yozu]: If you had to rate yourself on a scale from one to ten, one being not familiar at all and ten being an expert, how familiar with it are you?

[McMullen]: Hmmm… maybe around 6.5.

[Yozu]: Regarding what you do know, how important do you think culture is in Japan as a whole? What about Karakura specifically?

[McMullen]: Hmmm… well, culture is important not only to Japan or Karakura but also to society. All countries have different cultures, but as per Karakura… culture seems to be missing due to human globalization.
[McMullen]: Because that would mean Karakura will be a completely urbanized town in no time, and even as the [most beautiful] and important culture as it is, Shintoism seems not to be properly encouraged amongst citizens or [the] school.

[Yozu]: You believe that the culture of Japan, specifically Shintoism, is not being properly taught or brought up in Karakura, then?

[McMullen]: Mostly accurate, yes.
[McMullen]: And I’m not only talking about religion, but other cultural elements in Japan.

[Yozu]: Okay... From your point of view, how does Karakura's culture compare to that of the rest of Japan? What are some things that stand out the most to you?

[McMullen]: Hmmm…
[McMullen]: I don’t see anything different from Japan’s culture to Karakura’s culture… after all, we are in Japan still. Maybe the government, but we don’t get political in this area, aha!

[Yozu]: So you would say that Karakura's culture and Japan's culture are virtually the same?

[McMullen]: Factually the same. There is something that probably stands out the most to me.

[Yozu]: And what would that be?

[McMullen]: People interacting in Karakura. We expect Karakura to be fully polite, as most Japanese people are; unfortunately, that is not the case. The amount of unneeded rudeness from people in this town kind of concerns me.

[Yozu]: I see. I definitely agree with you on that one. Do you believe it to be important for the community to learn its culture?

[McMullen]: It is not only important but highly required for us foreigners residing in Japanese territory.
[McMullen]: Since we live in another country and they respect our culture, we might as well reciprocate and learn more about Japanese culture.

[Yozu]: Do you think it is important for the school to teach this culture to its students, even the ones who aren't native to Japan?

[McMullen]: It is important and must be a subject we have in college and high school. Or, maybe have small spaces in which we dedicate a bit more of our class time to teaching students about Japanese culture.

[Yozu]: You answered a few of my questions in that response alone, so thank you for that!

[McMullen]: Of course.

[Yozu]: Now, then, time for our last question. If you could get school community involvement regarding traditional Japanese culture, would you? If so, how would you go about it, and what is one idea you would like to see realized?

[McMullen]: While I’m not a huge Japanese culture-learned person, I would, of course, try my best to see Japanese culture being respected and embraced. I think the best course of action would be to raise awareness among students to make them understand and appreciate Japanese culture. We would need the foreign population to realize they are not in their country; for that reason, we must love and appreciate Japanese culture.

[Yozu]: Awesome, thank you so much for your time, and I apologize for the interview running over the end of school!

[McMullen]: Oh, don’t worry. It’s okay!

[Yozu]: Great, then that's all I've got. Thank you so much again, Mrs. McMullen! I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day.

[McMullen]: Thanks, you too!

Interview 3: Hyosuke Zennix

In this interview, I spoke with a priest at Karakura Shrine.

[Yozu]: …good to go! May I have your name?

[Zennix]: Hyosuke Zennix.

[Yozu]: I apologize for my phone usage, I was silencing it and making sure it wouldn't go off while I'm up here. Anyway, is it okay if I record your responses and list your name for my article?

[Zennix]: No need to apologize. It’s quite alright, I don’t mind if you do so.

[Yozu]: Awesome. Now, I'd like to begin by asking whether or not you are Japanese.

[Zennix]: I am Japanese.

[Yozu]: How long have you lived in Karakura?

[Zennix]: Hmm.. I wouldn’t say a while. But over a few months I suppose; I moved here from Mie Prefecture and just went straight to the monastery.

[Yozu]: Where were we… ah, yes! So, you've lived in Karakura for a few months. How would you describe the current state of Karakura in regard to traditional Japanese culture?

[Zennix]: Well, we can take [an] example from what just happened. There’s not much respect given to the culture. The grounds of the monastery shouldn’t ever be messed with, and people shouldn’t be disrupting others or the Kami that reside here. I’m rather… upset to say this, but people don’t know much about the religion today.
[Zennix]: People pull stunts and assume it’s funny, when really they’re displeasing the Kami in the end. It’s no matter to fool around [with].
[Zennix]: This is really the only place that respects Shintoism. There’s Torii gates around Karakura itself, but not many know what they’re for.
[Zennix]: There was a curse brought upon Karakura as the city grew away from religion.

[Yozu]: Oh? Can you tell me more about that?

[Zennix]: Our Kami Chiharu was said to be a Yokai long ago, having a twin too. Whilst Chiharu became a Kami, her twin remained a Yokai, becoming jealous and vengeful. This hatred feeling resulted in the curse brought upon the city. Continuous rain and bad luck was seen as punishment from an unloved Kami as the city continued growing away from religion.

[Zennix]: Some of our shrine staff believe it’s the fault of a jealous Yokai.

[Yozu]: Could you elaborate on what Kami and Yokai are for those unfamiliar with Japanese culture? What about Torii gates?

[Zennix]: Kami are deities or gods. They're a natural phenomenon—holy powers—venerated into [the] Shinto religion. Kami are considered to be our ancient ancestors, and they're two-minded: they nurture and love when respected, yet they will wreak havoc and destruction when disregarded. They shall be appeased in order to gain favor—avoid wrath. They aren't visible in our realm, but they inhabit sacred places during rituals and blessings.
[Zennix]: They might have multiple places of worship, but they never stay in a singular place. On the other hand, Yokai are another phenomenon of folklore. Meaning spirit, demon, or uncanny, eerie.. they're shapeshifters, personifications of events or feelings. They can sense fear, get in your head... show themselves, and harm you.
[Zennix]: A Torii typically marks a holy site. A doorway to a sacred area; you must bow before walking through as a sign of respect to the Kami and the land they reside in. Bowing is a sign of respect, as well as kneeling, depending on the situation.

[Yozu]: As [a] staff of the shrine, how important do you think culture is in Japan as a whole? What about Karakura specifically?

[Zennix]: I think it should be recognized. I don't mind what people believe in, but they should at least respect the people's wishes or rules to it. Personally, I find it intriguing, as I've dedicated and worshipped the religion as a whole all my life. I think it's important to know about considering how old it is.

[Yozu]: From your point of view, how does Karakura's culture compare to that of the rest of Japan? What are some things that stand out the most to you?

[Zennix]: It has its differences. The main aspects are here, but some of the practices aren't. It's fine, but we aren't as strict as most of the monasteries around Japan. I'm partially grateful that at least half of this dreadful town knows about some of the practices taking place here. Not much has stuck out to me.

[Yozu]: I see. Do you think it is important for the school to teach this culture to its students, even the ones who aren't native to Japan?

[Zennix]: I would love to see that happen! Then again, there are people who do have their own religions, so I think it should be a choice. As priests, we offer knowledge to those who seek it.

[Yozu]: I understand entirely. Now, for my final question: if you could get school community involvement regarding traditional Japanese culture, would you? If so, how would you go about it, and what is one idea you would like to see realized?

[Zennix]: If it were optional, I would. Speaking with my Kannushi, I can see if talking to the SLT of Karakura's official schools would open their eyes to classes on traditional Japanese culture and etiquette. It's important knowledge to know, in my humble opinion.
[Zennix]: With that being said, I would love to see people respecting, at the very least, the monastery's grounds and the kindhearted staff that work under the Kami. Without that respect, disharmony will continue being brought to the Kami, causing more havoc.

[Yozu]: That concludes our interview. Thank you for your time tonight, and I apologize for my fellow citizens disrupting the peace.

[Zennix]: There’s no need for apologies. That burden is way too big.

Final Thoughts

Well, that brings my second school news article to a close. Should we include traditional Japanese culture in our curriculum? Should there be more of it in Karakura? Let me know what you think in the comments! ♥
— Yozukinabahimetsu-Kuri

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread