mc.roleplayhub.com

players online

School Schedule Feedback - Longer School Days

MaccaRegi

Level 1
IGN: MaccaRegi
DATE: January 6th 2022
WHAT YOU WANT TO SUGGEST OR MENTION: Make the school day longer/also include more breaks in-between class periods.
HOW WILL THIS BENEFIT THE SERVER/COMMUNITY?:
From breakfast to the end of fourth period, you spend 7 hours in school. (8:00 - 15:00) (in game time)
Then, once school is out, you spend 18 hours not in school. (15:00 - 8:00) (in game time)

As the schedule is now, it's closer to something you would see in real life. (You spend about 2x more time out of school than in school). (This is also in Minecraft, where we don't need to sleep, so we're usually all awake for the 24 hours of the day.) However, considering that this is a school roleplay server, I feel like there should be more time dedicated to being in school: going to class, spending time with classmates, etc. (Although, I do see the importance of non-school activities, such as after-school activities and gangRP.)

The benefits of having more school time:
  • Having more time for teachers to teach their class.
I haven't played as a teacher so I don't know if they would want more time in their class to teach or spend time with their students. However, I have been in classes where there wasn't enough time for every student, or even half of the students, to participate in class. Having more time in class could also allow teachers to have time to answer their students questions or go into further detail if needed. Some of them may want more time to go over something in class and then hand out an assignment for the students to work on. (either homework or the assignment to work on during class)​
  • Having more time in between class periods.
As a student, there is only one break time throughout the school day (20 minutes between period 2 and 3). This break time is helpful, it allows for a breather between the classes, having a moment to talk to your friends, gives teachers time to announce their next class over the intercom, and allows for students to prepare for their next class (or choose which class they would like to attend based on the teacher's announcements.) I feel like having a break in-between each period (similar to real life schools) would make the school day feel less rushed.​

Splitting the 24 hours of the day into 12 hours of school and 12 hours of no school, giving each section equal time for those who enjoy the school RP and those who don't, to have enough time to do their preferred RP. There is also the weekend which is a total of 48 in game hours for those who enjoy non-school RP to do whatever they like.
This isn't to say that I find non-school related time to be boring, there are actually many things you can do during non-school hours: gangRP, attending parties, spending time with friends, exploring the city, going to the stores, etc. This feedback is simply to make the school day feel less hectic and have their be as much time allotted towards school as it is towards the rest of the day.

The schedule, for all I know, is done the way it is for a reason. However, I've created a mock-up of what the schedule could look like with longer class periods + breaks.
This schedule, however, would technically go into the night, however our MC characters don't need to sleep so their used to staying up all night.

School Gates Open: 7:30
Breakfast 8:00-8:30 (30 minutes)
Period 1 8:30-10:30 (2 hours)
BREAK 10:30-10:50 (20 minutes)
Period 2 10:50-12:50 (2 hours)
Lunchtime 12:50-13:50 (1 hour)
Period 3 13:50-15:40 (2 hours)
BREAK 15:40-17:00 (20 minutes)
Period 4 17:00 - 19:00 (2 hours)
Students Can Leave School at 19:00
School Gates Close: 23:00

Even if this idea gets denied, I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read through it all. I'd love to hear everyone's opinion or critiques as well.

HighlightedTwin

Level 87
HighlightedTwin
HighlightedTwin
Fundraiser+
I feel like this is the type of suggestion people will argue about when they say “srp is focused on school”. The current schedule we have now is actually perfectly fine. It helps balance school roleplay and city roleplay. As a professor myself who’s been teaching for long time periods, the timing for class periods are just about right. Besides even as a student they wouldn’t want to sit in class for so long. The attention span is quite low and that’s not even as an insult it’s just the truth. They don’t get on for purely education but to roleplay with their friends whether or not it’s school related. So -1

MaccaRegi

Level 1
I feel like this is the type of suggestion people will argue about when they say “srp is focused on school”. The current schedule we have now is actually perfectly fine. It helps balance school roleplay and city roleplay. As a professor myself who’s been teaching for long time periods, the timing for class periods are just about right. Besides even as a student they wouldn’t want to sit in class for so long. The attention span is quite low and that’s not even as an insult it’s just the truth. They don’t get on for purely education but to roleplay with their friends whether or not it’s school related. So -1
Thank you for your insight as a professor on the server! And you're right, I didn't think about the attention span of others on the server who might not be able to sit through a longer class period. Appreciate the comment! :)

Kana

Level 129
ImKana
ImKana
Notable

The school doesn't have much to offer these days besides the basic sports, classes, and a few roles. As an adult role on the server, most of us log off during the school day since the map becomes underpopulated and it gets boring very fast. Making that longer would practically exclude and suspended/expelled/adultrper out from a lot of RP activities. Weekends are already shorter than the weekdays in SRP, I believe that's enough.

Also, as an ex-professor, my lesson plans could barely last the current length of periods. A lot of the time, I found myself having students wait for the bell instead of doing any extra work since my lesson was short.

Let me just list a few basic other concerns now. As a shop-owner, we already struggle with opening on time before school starts a lot. 23:00 is equivalent to 11:00 PM, idk what high school stays open that late.

maraa

Level 210
touchmemara
touchmemara
Omega

Classes could go on if people would sit down and not disrupt the lesson. Because of trollers in the class / others in the class who always make a huge fuss over something, there is typically not a lot of time. The longer the classes are, the more people would go afk during them. Alternatively, they would drop out of classes. Most professor / teachers do those various things at various periods and have never complained about it. I have a best friend who is a teacher. He doesn't appreciate it when people show up in his classes to make a racket or disrupt his lesson... But it's logical, given that teachers spend a significant amount of time planning out their classes.

I also believe that taking a lengthier break is unnecessary when I wish to join a friend's class, such as the PE teacher's. And because she is the sole teacher on site, her classes fill up quickly. While I wait for the next period, I have to do something else. And I can promise you that there are many more that are in the same boat as me.

This would simply lead to complaints about why the hours are so long; the SRP community members who love the server's schooling have never complained about school being too short, at least not that I've observed. Some adult roles also role-play with high school / college kids, and they are usually afk during school hours because the individuals with whom they role-play are busy. They'd simply have to wait a longer time to role-play once more. [An adult roleplayer with their in-character sister, for example]. I enjoy attending to school whenever possible, and I strive to engage in lessons and answer any questions that are asked. Despite the fact that I've been playing for almost four years and have attended a lot of classes, the schooling on the server continues to fascinate me for some reason. I still don't think this should be a thing since it would make things feel dragged out and uninteresting.

We must also consider the scenario in the real world; what school do you imagine ending that late? To begin with, class sessions are never that long. I can see you care a lot about the SchoolRP aspect of the server, which is good to know because not everyone enjoys it and would rather avoid it if there was a time to skip it. [For example, following the fire, when we were given the option of staying at school or leaving, the school was nearly empty within minutes, with only a few students remaining.]

Last edited:

Naishoten

Level 40
Naishoten
Naishoten
Omega
I know there is going to be an overwhelming majority of negatives towards this. I am going to go with a . . .

+1

I quite enjoy classes tbh. But I foresee this getting denied unfortunately.

Rebel

Level 53

As a teacher this seem like a struggle for both the students and teachers/professors alike, sometimes we don't have time to teach long period classes as we do things sometimes out of the server that goes same for professors and students plus this would add to the pressure of having what to teach in classes and plus like others have said students wouldn't want to seat that long in a class also and even with the normal schedule sometimes they don't have time every day for classes. Adding onto this and what others have said in this the server has had this type of seclude basically ever since it ever opened back in 2015 which has worked for years so there is no use to changing it now and causing more stress for teachers/professors and making students sit through a class for longer than now, this would not also be fair for the SLT members either so basically no one would be gaining really from this.

KimiNoUso

Level 337
Owner
HS Sports Lead
Developer
KimiNoUso
KimiNoUso
Omega+
Denied
Thank you for your feedback, however we've decided to deny this suggestion.

- School days are already considerable long, they just tend to speed past for faculty as roleplaying is a key part of their role. Each school period is 25 OOC minutes, an entire school day being roughly 2 OOC hours out of 6 OOC hour day.​
- We've made weekends shorter with a time speed of 6 In-Character seconds per 1 Out-Of-Character second, you can check this with the command /timespeed.​

Users who are viewing this thread