Grass

Level 10
Out-Of-Character (OOC) Information

IGN:
turtlefarts2011
DISCORD TAG:
grass#7020
PREVIOUS BANS:

I was banned once in, like... mid 2020 for staff disrespect, I've learned my lesson, though.

DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS:

Yes

POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:

Shinto Priest

DISCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:

Despite my recent decline in activity due to OOCly matters, I spend most of my time on SRP roleplaying with my close friends, I'll occasionally participate in CombatRP, however most of the interactions my characters have are usually story-driven.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGON?

I’ve done enough research to know about certain Kami, rituals, clothing and ceremonies. I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I'm not completely clueless, either.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

I think my roleplay abilities make me stand out, since I actually roleplay for the sake of developing characters and telling an interesting story. When creating my characters, I try to give all of them very different personalities to try something new and interesting. I also want to build an exciting experience for the people around me, so they won't just run into the same cookie cutter "my dad killed my mom so i killed my dad" edgy type of characters

In-Character Information

FULL NAME:

Ryujin Onishi

WHAT IS YOUR AGE?:

WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

I've spent a few weeks working at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery in the past. I think I needed to catch a break, though. After a few unfortunate events, I needed to focus on myself and find peace. It becomes a little easier to do when you have a drum set for your son in your basement. I've spent countless sleepless nights hearing cymbals crashing, tums booming, and epic rockstar guitar solos. Sure, I could use the rest, However, I don't think I'll ever get tired of that.

I thought it would be a good idea to come back after all this time, especially considering the invitation I was given. My intentions, however, remain unchanged. I want to help the troubled teenagers in Karakura, so I may convince them to follow their dreams, rather than those of the criminals that roam the streets.

TELL ME WHAT HISTOY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONSATERY:

The shrine was originally made for people who followed Buddhism, though around the ninth century, both Shintoism and Buddhism were combined into a single religion. That later changed a few hundred years later, when Shintoism became the sole religion of the monastery. This caused an out of control priest to set the monastery ablaze, the aftermath leaving behind the original shrine for the Yama-No-Kami. Despite all that tragedy, the piece of history I think about most is the original belief that, because of the altitude the monastery was built on and the nature that surrounded, it was a more spiritual place that many gods visited.

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
character biography, 150 words minimum

Ryujin was born in the early 80s in a small town on the island of Okinawa. Religion has always been an important part of him, as shortly after his birth, his grandmother took him to one of the few monasteries built there. His father would teach both him and his brother about a few key morals that were important to their family, morals that would stick with him for the rest of his life. However, that did not stop him from balancing religion and ROCK-N-ROLL, BABY! He went through a mullet phase in the early 90s, which is considered to be one of the few secrets he'll take to the grave.

After graduating high school, Ryujin found himself lost, unsure of where to go next. For a while, he found himself unable to go anywhere without doubting himself. It was only after his elderly father gave him some truth bombs and advice, that his brain clicked all the pieces together. What else is there other than... Becoming an ARTIST!? Ultimately, he found no success in selling carved stones and decided to follow a different passion of his: religion. He still, however, continued carving stones as a hobby.

Ryujin continued to invest his time studying about Shinto, while his brother journeyed off to Tokyo in order to continue building a car company he founded: Neeson. Time would pass, and Ryujin would fall in love with a cadet who took the same train as him in the morning. He would then go on to graduate and find a job as a Shinkan at the same monastery his grandmother took him to all those years ago. Ryujin saw this as a way of paying the kami back for its wisdom and protection.

LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:
Dear Ai,
I find myself once again coming back to this sacred place for wisdom. I believe I'm adequate for the position since I not only have spent my life practicing the religion, but I also understand what it's like to be in the shoes of a defiant teenager. It sounds a little funny, but reaching to the "rebellious" teenagers who are lost can definitely help them in the long run, as I, too, was like them in the past. And with the help of a parental figure, I found myself on the right path. I remember a haiku by Matsuo Basho my father recited to me during those difficult times.

Old pond
A frog jumps in,
The sound of water.

Yours truly, Ryujin Onishi

Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the Shrine?

/me held a wooden dipper with his right hand, washing his left, and vice-versa. This looked like a daily routine, as he did it with a passive smile on his face. He poured a small amount of water into his left hand, leaning forwards to let the water drip +

/it into his mouth in order to rinse it. He then spit it out into the correct spot. He quickly rinsed the ladle before walking inside the shrine.

As shown in these actions, you must pour a small amount of water into each of your hands separately. After that, you need to pour another small amount into your left in order to rinse your mouth. After rinsing the dipper, you’re good to go.
How are rituals to a Kami preformed?

/me slowly bent his back forwards, almost in a 90 degree angle. He repeated that motion another time before straightening his posture, clapping his hands twice, keeping his hands clasped together at the second clap. He then shut his eyes, perhaps to pray.

Praying to a Kami can differ from each shrine, but the standard is to deeply bow twice, then clap your hands two times, as shown.

What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?

Shinto Maidens usually spend their time inside the shrine, either participating in rituals, working the gift shops and answering visitor's questions. They also perform dances exclusive to their title such as the kagura dance. Shrine priests do similar tasks, however they mainly focus on rituals, helping senior priests with weddings, funerals or miyamairi.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:

I would explain to the parent how the ritual works, telling them to bring their child on the 32nd day after their birth if it’s male, on the 33rd if it’s female. I'd then have my character perform the miyamairi ritual.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:

I would inform them about the concept of Shintoism and their general beliefs. I would then explain the ways on how to properly a politely visit a shrine, as well as give them a basic description on some rituals.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?

I think Ryujin would worship Tenjin, the kami of academics, scholarship and learning. Probably because he'd idolize the story of Michizane, or, well, Tenjin.

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you haven't already, go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Shinkan role (make sure to include your age) ; if no staff are able to assist fill out a form here for staff to get back to you

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread