Omega
Shinsei Seinaru Monastery Staff Application

Out-Of-Character (OOC) Information

IGN:

soulxkii

DISCORD TAG:
kii#4406

PREVIOUS BANS:
Yes, I was banned, but it was in mid-2018. This ban was for AvoidRP, I lost internet access and was unable to reconnect to the server. The proof was produced, and the problem was swiftly remedied. After that, I was not banned, and I intend to keep it that way.

DO YOU HAVE A WORKING MICROPHONE FOR DISCORD CALLS:
Yes, I do.

POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
I am applying for Shinto Priest

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I'd give myself a solid 10/10 for my server activity. As I am always online. However, if I were dealing with something oocly, I wouldn't be seen for the day, or for a few hours.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEARN ABOUT THE RELIGION?

Since my visit to the shrine, I've developed a fondness for this faction on the server. I've been reading and watching videos about Shintoism taking notes along the way, and I've learned a lot about it. I liked the rituals performed and the idea that there are so many different Kami, all of which might be good or bad, drew my attention to the religion even more, and I wanted to know and learn more. Everything was fascinating to me, and I would occasionally fall asleep while reading about it. Sometimes I would blur out random facts while in a conversation with a friend. Though I may know the basic knowledge, my religious understanding of Shintoism can certainly grow, and I am always up for that! I am eager to learn more about it and to get deeper into it.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?

I've been on SRP for about four years. However, I've been roleplaying for approximately 6 years. My roleplaying approach has evolved significantly over the years, and I believe that my roleplaying abilities would be appropriate for this role. When it comes to taking roleplaying seriously, I'm all in. I enjoy the basic concept of creating characters with various backstories, Reading about this religion made me joyful, and I was even happier when I read more about it. When I know I want something, I always put my foot down and give it my all, no matter what it takes. I became quite driven as I learned more about the religion and determined that this was something I wanted to be a part of.

In-Character Information

FULL NAME:

Shohei Umemoto

WHAT IS YOUR AGE?:

WHY ARE YOU APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:

I moved home with my grandma, a retired Miko, after graduating from college. Three months prior, she had been diagnosed with dementia. I stayed with her and looked after her. My mother, her daughter, accompanying me to the shrine where my grandma worked began to pass through my mind, as they were the pinnacles of my existence. I would talk to her about those shrine trips and things she taught me when I went to see her night after night, hoping that these stories and old recollections might help her with her memory. As I told my grandma about these recollections, I remembered how much I enjoyed visiting the Shrine when I was younger. It wasn't long before she passed away. This tragic event surely did leave a hole in mine, as well as my mother's heart. A few weeks after my grandmother’s funeral, I saw myself visiting the same shrine that my mother had taken me to when I was younger. I made my visits a habit, turning to the kami for assistance and advice on a regular basis. It was evident to me that Shintoism would always be a part of my life, as well as my mother's, and how important it was in my grandmother's life. I began to learn more about the religion, and the idea of becoming a priest became increasingly appealing. With the existing information that I possess, I want to study more, develop my relationship with the kami, and devote more of my time and effort, because this is something I want to devote my life to.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:

The building began in the eighth century on June 6th, 744, and was completed in the winter months of 762. The monastery was initially established for Buddhists. Later in the 9th century, Buddhism and Shintoism were merged into one religion, with Buddhism continuing to dominate Shintoism. By the 18th century, Shintoism had established itself as the monastery's primary religion. As civilization progressed, the people of Karakura turned away from the loving religion, and they just... lost interest. This did not sit well with one of the monastery's priests, who despised the idea that people had simply forgotten about the religion, leading him to burn the monastery on fire. The monastery was no longer a place for gods to visit, they had all departed, but one god, the Yama-no-Kami, remained. All except one of the monastery's structures were burned to the ground, all but the Yama-no-Kami's original shrine. The god, it is told, was so enraged by their loneliness and the fact that the shrine had been abandoned that they inflicted havoc on the town, causing storms and weather unlike any other, for weeks.

TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:

In the year 1984, he was born and reared in Nagoya, Japan. Shohei was the youngest kid of a family that included his parents, himself, and his sister. Because the family of four was highly devout, Shohei and his sister both went through the miyamairi ceremony. They frequently worshiped the Fii Nu Kang, who was generally summoned to defend the household and its members. As the two children got older, their mother inquired whether they would want to join her at the Atsuta Shrine, where their grandma worked. Shohei enjoyed accompanying his mother on these shrine trips, although his elder sister was more interested in modern things and avoided religion altogether. Shohei treasured every one of those trips, speaking with his nanna over tea and assisting her while learning new things. He would frequently attend the shrine's celebrations and have a great time. Soon after, his father was given a position as a professor at a school in a different town, Karakua, after all, the place where he was raised. His father took up the position and relocated to the area not long after. Shohei's father died of heart illness later in his adolescent years, and the devastating news tore the family apart. The funeral was held in the town where his father died. Shohei's mother decided that because they had been there for about a week, it would be a good idea to just move there. Considering her husband's unfortunate death, Shohei didn't object and took it incredibly well. Shohei had developed nicely, he was in college and had a decent education. He returned to his hometown after college, after learning of his grandmother's dementia, he made it his mission to care for her. As he cared for her, he took advantage of festivals, shrine visits, and other opportunities to assist his nanna in regaining her memories. However, it was never successful. It did make a positive impact on Shohei. Shohei returned to the shrine after his grandmother's death, seeking advice since he was lost and didn't know what to do with himself. On one of these trips, he heard a voice telling him to return to Karakura, which he did.Shohei returned to Karakura and became acquainted with the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, which he visited every day when he had the opportunity. He continued to study more about the religion and the monastery's history until he was pulled to just one option: becoming a priest. He wanted to find a way to give back to the community where his father had grown up. He realized why he heard the voice that day and understands what he needs to do.

LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD:

Dear Monastery Lead,

Hello, I hope you're having a great day as you read this letter, which I hope arrives safely to you. I've given it a lot of thought, and I'm confident that this is what I want to be, a priest if you'll have me. I've reached a moment in my life where I want to give everything I have to becoming a Shinsei Seinaru Monastery Priest. I believe I am prepared for this next step. Shintoism has molded me into the man I am today, and I want to help shape the minds, hearts, and souls of the children of the future, having that wonderful connection with the Kami, as I do as of now.
I'd like to contribute back to the community by making a positive difference in people's lives. I hope you would consider this letter, as I would like to learn more in my remaining years on this planet. I'd also like to express my gratitude for your time and effort.

Deep in their roots,
All flowers keep the light,

With appreciation, Shohei Umemoto.

Knowledge Section

What are the steps before entering the Shrine?

A gate greets people as they approach a shrine. Torii is another name for these gates. Before entering, individuals are expected to have a positive and respectful attitude. When approaching each Torii, the individuals would bow and enter off-center, as the center of the gate is designated for the Kami. A purifying fountain is usually situated near the entrance of most shrines. Individuals are given ladles with which to wash their hands as well as their mouths, as is customary. However, instead of pouring the water directly into their mouth, they would pour it into their palms and then into their mouth to purify. It is suggested that people do not omit these steps since they demonstrate respect not only for the Kami but also for the people of the Shrine.

How are rituals to a Kami performed?

There are many various ways to perform kami rituals, and many shrines have different or similar ways of doing so. The purification ritual is performed at most shrines. This is the ritual when people would do ceremonial washing, hand washing, bathing, and even changing their clothes. These actions are carried out in order to strengthen the bond between the individual and the Kami, as well as the relationship between the individual and the other members of the community. Individuals are frequently seen bowing twice, making sure that their backs are straight and that they do it at an exact 90-degree angle. Following that, they would clap twice to show their gratitude to the kami. After the second clap, the individual's hands must remain in that position, with their hands elevated chest high. The person would next recite a prayer. When someone comes to the shrine for the first time, they normally tell the kami their name and where they live.

What is the job of a Shinto Priest and Maiden?

In contrast to most religions, Shinto priests are not expected to lecture or preach. Yes, the priest's responsibility is to protect the shrine and maintain its foundation, ensuring that it is well kept for the kami to walk on, even if they are normally seen leading the worship of the kami within the shrine. A priest would also ensure that the worshiper's and kami's ongoing bond is maintained. The rituals are their main emphasis within the temple. They would usually assist with the purifying ritual with visitors to the shrine, as well as weddings. Miko, or shrine maiden. For many years, it has been known that the Mikos conduct a particular dance, referred to as kagura. Miko, on the other hand, are frequently assigned the responsibility of selling good luck charms at the shrine's office windows, or at gift shops. They frequently address tourists' questions as well. They, like the priest, attend marriages, funerals, festivals, miyamari, and other religious events. They, too, contribute to the shrine's upkeep. Both the priest and the Miko are always willing to lend a helping hand when it is required.

Someone wishes to receive a rite of passage for their child, how do you proceed?:

The Shinto Priest or Miko would advise the parents of the rite of passage requirements, which would take place 31 days after birth for boys and 33 days for females. When the date arrives, the parents will return. The priest, or miko, would bless the kid and wish them happiness and good health throughout their life. Then they'd move on to the miyamairi rite, in which the priest or miko would say the baby's name, the names of the parents and any other family members' names, the baby's address, and the day of birth during a prayer. Following the prayer, the parents and family members, would walk up to the altar and bow, one by one, as they gave the tamagushis as an offering, also known as a branch from a sakaki-tree which would be decorated with silk, or cotton.

Someone comes to the shrine and asks for information about Shintoism, what can you respond to them with using your own knowledge about the religion?:

Shintoism is a Japanese religious belief that is practiced throughout the country. Shinto, which means "the way of kami," is a religion in which people believe in Kami. Gods, or Kami, are spiritual creatures such as mountains, rivers, trees, and other natural beings that, due to their divinity, become objects of devotion and respect. The religion comprises of Japanese customs, beliefs, rituals, and other practices that aid in the development of a pure mind, body, and soul. I'd also tell them about the various kami, including the one who resides at the shrine, Yama-no-Kami, and how to properly show respect to these kami, as well as how we execute the Yama-no-Kami ritual. As we sat down and chatted over some matcha green tea, I would be careful to clarify some of Shintoism's rules.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?

Another kami my character would worship is Fii Nu Kang, also known as kami of the heart, which is usually worshiped in the household.

Last edited:

rinis

Level 101
rinis
rinis
Omega
ACCEPTED

Welcome to the Monastery! If you haven't already, go ahead and join the discord.

- Once in the discord, ping the monastery lead for your roles in the #help channel
- Next time you are online, you can ask in /help for the Priest role (make sure to include your age) ; if no staff are able to assist fill out a form here for staff to get back to you

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread