Out-Of-Character (OOC) Section

IN-GAME NAME (IGN):
Bunknown

DISCORD NAME & TAG: rabbitch#8008

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?: EST

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS: n/a

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?: Yes!

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I have been on srp for about 2 years (?) now. I am on when I have freetime and regularly hyper-fixate on it. I have explored various different types of roleplay such as RomanceRP, CombatRP and GangRP. I try to build meaningful relationships between my character and others rather than fast rushing and P2King them.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?: Maiden.

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
Shintoism is focused around Kami, which can be found in all nature, Yokai are an evil version of these Kami. Those who partake in Shintoism may leave offerings such as small trinkets, money and items of sentimental value to the Kami. Ancestors and Spirits are also included in Shintoism as well. Shrines are great part of Japanese culture used in Shintoism.
I may not know much about the religion, but I am more than open to learning about it and growing my knowledge on Shintoism, I find it very fascinating!

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
While I may not know everything about Shintoism, I want to learn and understand the religion in depth. Its a unique part of the roleplay I wish to take a part of, I want to expand on my types of roleplay and develop a character who is knowledgeable on Shintoism and respected.
Besides the roleplay aspects, I just wish to learn more about the religion, its more than just roleplay and is a serious religion in real life that many choose to partake in daily. I want to be respectful as I roleplay it out.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
I do! It's to be expected.

───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:
Sachiko Nakayama

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss):
Miss

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80):

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS:
Single

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY:
Japanese Nationality

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER:
(030)-519-9912

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
I admire the strong will it takes to be a member of the shrine, the pure respect for nature and its surroundings is such a precious mindset, I wish that everyone would be able to experience. I feel connected to the Kami and Spirits as I grew up visiting shrines with my Mother and Father, along with leaving offerings for our ancestors weekly together.
I want to be able to connect with others who feel such deep love for Shintoism and hope to get a structured routine around my respect for Shintoism. I hope to learn from others and spread my own knowledge to others.
Most of all, I hope that my being a Maiden can help others grow knowledgeable about how to respect Kami and Spirits along with coming to terms with the passing of loved ones.

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
While I did not grow up in Karakura, I have done my research on The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery: The shrine began construction in 744, ending in 762. Originally, the shrine was involved in two religions, Buddhism and Shintoism. It was unfortunate that a fire had caused the shrine to burn down, although I do not know the year.
Now, the shrine is Shintoism focused and Kami known as the Yama-No-Kami currently reside there.
While I may not know more, I am enthusiastic to learn more about the history of such a beautiful and well taken care of shrine.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

"To the Shrine Lead, Inari Kyohanashima,

I am writing to you with faith in hopes that I may possibly join the Shrine Staff as a Maiden. I have been visiting Shintoism shrines since I was very young, I have deep faith for Shintoism and it is a very important aspect to me in my life. I recently moved here 7 months ago after my Father died and have begun to visit the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery weekly. It is so well taken care of and the staff is always extremely polite and courteous to questions and knowledgeable. The more I have visited, the more I have wanted to partake in becoming staff, I have a continuously growing knowledge of Shintoism and recently I have been doing more work to learn everything I need to know.

Part of my wanting to join stems from wanting the wisdom others can give me and becoming at peace with Kami and Spirits.
Of course, since I don't have any formal training or experience, I understand that may be a slight issue, but I promise to do everything I possibly can to make it easy to teach me and help the shrine for the better!

Thank you for your time reading my letter today,
Sachiko Nakayama"

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Sachiko Nakayama grew up in a middle-sized town in Japan. She lived in an apartment with her Mother, Miyoko, her Father, Akira and her younger sister, Yui. Sachiko, nicknamed Sachi by her classmates, had average grades, focusing more on her social life and musical arts during school.
Her Mother and Father were very religious, offering every weekend for Sachiko and Yui to visit. Sachiko happily obliged every week, viewing it as a privilege to be able to make peace with the Kami and Spirits. Though her sister, Yui, never wanted to visit, it taught her not to force religion onto anyone and rather to extend a hand to those open to learn and grow in Shintoism with her.
Up until living in Karakura, she lived with her parents to help with her fathers worsening dementia, making their own shrine for offerings once he was too far gone to visit shrines with her and Miyoko anymore. Her Father, Akira died a month before she moved to Karakura, her mother supporting her in this decision, as he would want her to live her life on her own.
Once she was settled in her new home, she began to visit the local shrine, The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery, to continue her weekly tradition that she had started. She enjoyed talking with Priests and Maidens, asking them for details of working there as it piqued her interest more. Eventually, she decided working there would be a passion of hers, starting her journey towards becoming a Shrine Maiden.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Duties of a Maiden consist of assisting priests, making offerings, cleaning and attending to the shrine and Fortune telling.
Duties of a Priest consist of leading rituals, assisting visitors, answering questions and being knowledgeable to help others learn about Shintoism.
Along with that, Maidens and Priests have other things such as art forms they may know to entertain guests and attract visitors.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
Maidens or Priests must always start with a bow to whomever is waiting for the individual.
You must fill the ladle with water from the basin, pouring it onto your left hand, switch the ladle to opposite hand then pour onto the right, then you will pour water into your cupped hand to cleanse your mouth, spitting it out onto the rocks.
It is important to clean the ladle, pouring the remaining water out down the handle.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
It is important to make sure you have a proper item for offerings before anything. Proper offerings include but are not limited to: rice, rice cake, sake, water, yen and sentimental objects. A paper is to be filled out including your name and what the offering is. A prayer may be said and include a thank you to the Kami.
However, the way an Offering is made depends person to person based on their beliefs in Shintoism.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
Before anything, it is important the tea ceremony is being held in a peaceful, purified place where everyone involved will be respectful and thoroughly enjoy the tea ceremony.
Incense is recommended, though, not a requirement.
When starting the ceremony, you should greet your guests warmly with hospitality. To continue with the ceremony, you should purify your tools intron of your guests before preparing the tea by pouring hot water over the tools and instruments involved.
Prepare the tea in a single bowl for the guests to use, the tea bowl must be facing you when pouring the tea and should sit in your left palm. You should turn the bowl with your right hand to allow for the guest to taste the tea. Its important to refill the tea whenever finished as its respectful, then returning it to its original space.
When the tea ceremony is finished, its important to bow at the end to the guest.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamagushi is a form of Shinto offerings involving a Sakaki tree branch, decorated with cotton, silk or washi paper strips, though, the Sakaki tree branch may be substituted with Japanese fir, oak and more tree branches. Traditionally, Tamagushi is at weddings or funerals as a offering. Though they may be taken home as reminders of a shrine.

Ofuda are a talisman or an amulet, made of multiple materials, normally paper/cloth though they may be made of metal, often kept in homes but can be carried by people or found or bought at shrines/temples. Ofuda are commonly found in Shintoism or Buddhism and highly respected.

A Kagura Suzu involves the instrumental part of Shintoism. They are used in ritual and are only used in the Shrine, these are used by a priest during the ceremony and also by maidens in a ritual dance named Kagura. The instrument is made of wood with 12 bells being hung from the wood, symbolizing leaves or flowers.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?: Omoikane, the deity of wisdom.
───────────────────────────────────────

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
ACCEPTED

Thank you for taking your time to apply. As a team we've come to the decision to accept your application. Congratulations on becoming a maiden, if you aren't already, please join the Karakura Town discord and request your roles.

https://discord.gg/E7c2v36bDp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread