miroroll

WHAT IS YOUR TIMEZONE?:
EST

LIST ANY PREVIOUS BANS:
N/A, never been banned.

DO YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE?:
Yes

DESCRIBE YOUR ACTIVITY ON THE SERVER:
I am on for a couple hours every day. Most of the time I fish with my friends, participate in classes, write books to submit to the library, and interact with other players.

WHAT POSITION ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?:
Shrine Maiden

WHAT KNOWLEDGE DO YOU CURRENTLY HAVE OF SHINTOISM AND ARE YOU PREPARED/WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE RELIGION?:
I have a decent amount of knowledge of Shintoism from anime and researching it myself. Shintoism is the belief in kami, which are deities, spirits, and the divine. It is a polytheistic and animistic religion that originates in Japan, with it being one of the major religions there—along with Buddhism, and can be practiced simultaneously.
I am both prepared and willing to learn more about the Shinto religion. This is something that interests me, and even if I was not taught more I would probably do more research on it in my spare time.

WHAT MAKES YOU STAND OUT FOR THIS ROLE OVER OTHER APPLICANTS?
I have a long history of roleplaying on another game called Garry’s Mod, particularly Hogwarts’s RP, and I was actually a Gamemaker with another player on this server. Gamemakers would create server events for players to keep them interested, whether that be large-scale events or passive-rp. With my familiarity in roleplaying and creating passive-rp events, I would not have a problem with the shrine maiden tasks given to me—or roleplaying / creating roleplay scenarios with players that visit the shrine.

DO YOU ACKNOWLEDGE YOU WILL HAVE TO ATTEND MANDATORY TRAININGS TO BE TAUGHT MORE ABOUT SHINTOISM AND THE ACCORDING PROCEDURES?:
Yes, I acknowledge this.
───────────────────────────────────────
In-Character (IC) Section

SECTION 1: Character Details

CHARACTERS FULL NAME:
Lyney Shirotani

CHARACTERS TITLE (E.g. Mr. Mrs. Miss): Mr.

CHARACTERS AGE (E.g. 21-80): 21

CHARACTERS MARITAL STATUS: Not married

CHARACTERS NATIONALITY: Japanese

CHARACTERS PHONE-NUMBER: (030)-528-2257

WHAT IS YOUR MOTIVATION FOR APPLYING TO WORK AT THE MONASTERY?:
“Well, the reasons I am hoping to work at the Shinsei Monastery as a maiden specifically are twofold. On the one hand, it is my wish to show the people who visit the Monastery every day the same kindness shown to me by the priests and maidens during my youth; I have always looked up to them. On the other hand, there is a more religious aspect to it in that I legitimately want to live out my life in this hallowed place, with all the associated duties that come with it. Experiencing and witnessing the impact the shrine has on me and others, I feel a call to join the shrine maidens in offering the same hope and spiritual growth to those in need. As a shrine maiden, I hope to create a sense of belonging, bestow wisdom, and help others, just as the shrine maidens did for me.”

TELL ME WHAT HISTORY AND INFORMATION YOU KNOW ABOUT THE SHINSEI SEINARU MONASTERY:
History:
The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery is a place where people that follow Shintoism go to worship. It was built in the mountains in 744, making it one of the oldest structures in Karakura. This monastery is believed to have been built on the mountain because it is “closest to the heart of the kami.” There have been two separate times this structure has been burnt down, with the first happening in 1176, and the second happening in 1578. These fires were started for different reasons; the first was because of a rebellion held by Buddhist monks, while the second was due to a riot by the people against the warlord that held Japan during 1578. Since being rebuilt in 1617, the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery has not been harmed and remains standing.

Information:
The Shinsei Seinaru Monastery’s Kami of worship is Chiharu-Yamatsumi, the mountain kami. Many buildings can be found at the monastery, including; a gift shop for visitors, a tea house, a dojo, and the hall of worship. Inside the hall of worship holds an offering box, sacred bell, and living quarters for the shrine staff.

WRITE A LETTER TO THE MONASTERY LEAD :

“Dear Monastery Lead,

I hope this letter finds you in good spirits. My name is Lyney Shirotani, and I am writing to you from the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. It is a place I have frequented often, and, indeed this letter that now finds you is one that has crossed my mind over the years but finally, on this day, I have worked the resolve to share with you my hopes and intentions. It is my hope to work here, in this place in the capacity of Shrine Maiden. My life has been a turbulent one, that has seen many of my relationships fractured by conflict, but it is in this place I have found good counsel and much-needed solitude. My interest in the wisdom and traditions upheld by the shrine maidens that began early on in my life has since grown into a fervent desire to carry them on in that very same capacity. While it is more common for men to be priests than maidens, I wish to become a Miko due to my admiration for them and their duties at the monastery. Moreover, it would be incredibly fulfilling for me to provide solace and counsel to monastery visitors. Thank you for reading my letter, and I hope you will consider giving me a position at the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery.
P.S. I promise I won’t keep your door open.

Regards,
Lyney Shirotani”

BACKSTORY (100+ Words):
Lyney Shirotani, an older brother to his two young siblings, had a difficult upbringing. The three siblings grew up in an orphanage with no memory of their parents and suffered deep loneliness that the orphanage was simply unable to abate. Lyney was determined to provide for his siblings and secure a real home for them. After piecing together a resume and gaining meaningful work experience, he was able to eventually leave the orphanage with his brother and sister. They wandered from town to town, searching for a place they could call home and find a purpose in life.
Eventually, their journey ended when the three found themselves in the city of Karakura. Lyney felt a connection to the city— especially when he discovered the Shinsei Seinaru Monastery. The peaceful aura emanating from the monastery was just what the three siblings were looking for, and they became enamored with the spiritual teachings and ancient traditions held at the shrine. They decided to settle in Karakura and regularly frequent the shrine to worship the deities, but also to converse with its inhabitants. Worshipping and giving offerings to the kami became a regular thing for Lyney, and as the years continued to pass, he felt the need to do more. He wanted to provide others with the sense of belonging and spiritual growth he received from the shrine maidens when he first discovered the monastery.

SECTION 2: Self-Knowledge Details

What duties do Shinto Priests and Maidens have?:

Shinto Priests: Shinto priests hold ceremonies at the shrine, maintain the shrine, and lead worship of a kami. Priests are seen as having a closer relationship to the kami, and are the ones that perform rituals.
Shrine Maidens: A shrine maiden’s duties are to assist the priests, clean the shrine, sell items at the gift shop, assist in shrine rituals and prayers, and perform a dance known as a kagura. In addition to these tasks, Miko’s may also answer questions that visitors have.

What are the steps needed to be taken at the purification trough before entering the Shrine?:
A rack can be found before a Shinto shrine to purify a person before they enter. The wooden ladle is used to pour water over both hands—then, with your left hand, water is used to rinse your mouth. The remaining water is used to rinse the ladle itself. After the purification is complete, the person replaces the ladle on the rack and can continue to the shrine.

How are offerings to a Kami performed?:
First, a person gives their offering to a Shinto priest to offer to the kami. Before making the offer, the priest purifies themselves, then they may follow the tradition in giving the offering. Shinsen is the name of food offerings, and are traditionally rice, sake, salt, and water.

How do you perform a tea ceremony ritual?:
Pick up the tea bowl, with the front facing you, with your right hand, then place it on your left. Turn the bowl 90 degrees clockwise with your right hand, then drink the tea before placing the bowl in front of you. After finishing the tea, bow to express gratitude. At the end of the ceremony, lift the bowl to appreciate it, then turn the bowl so the front faces the host. The tea ceremony is over when the host returns the bowel and other utensils to where they belong after rinsing them.

Explain what a Tamagushi, Ofuda and Kagura Suzu is and what they're used for:
Tamagushi: A branch from a sakaki tree with leaves attached to it. Strips of washi paper, silk, or cotton can be decorated onto the branch to make it more elaborate. The tamagushi is an offering that is often used at weddings, funerals, and other ceremonies at Shinto shrines.
Ofuda: A talisman that is believed to have the power of kami. Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines are common places an ofuda can be found. Ofuda’s can have specific purposes, like protection, and are either kept on a person or put in homes. The omamori is considered to be a smaller and more portable version of the ofuda.
Kagura Suzu: A set of twelve bells that are used by Miko’s when they perform the kagura dance.

(OPTIONAL) Based on your character; which other Kami would they worship?:
Lyney Shirotani would worship Tsukuyomi, god of the moon. His values align with this Kami, as he also believes in the importance of order and etiquette. While Lyney knows that Tsukuyomi can be seen as an evil kami, his and his sibling’s loyalty cannot be swayed.

───────────────────────────────────────

Last edited:

Yume_

Level 86
Community Team
Lore Team
DENIED

Your application to the shrine is appreciated however, as a team we've come to the decision to deny your app. Next time think about what separates you from other applicants based on roleplay itself not just your experience on other servers.​

Users who are viewing this thread